ADVERTISEMENT

Are we a 2 seed or a 3 seed (And does it matter?)

This whole “Tennessee got screwed” talk is more about Duke getting a 2 than anything else

Reactions: Mac9192
doesnt matter if we are a 2 or 3...not for this team...they have the ability to beat 1 seeds ( Zags, UK) OR lose to 11 seeds ( VT) ...the key to a run is attitude and character. Can we face pressure and respond or fold as we have seen recently? If past evidence counts for anything, the answer to that is clear.

“We (our coaching staff) didn’t have them ready to play at a high level”
"We had 2 games in 3 days and we were tired" even though the team we just played had the same amount of rest.

Here's what Mike Woodson had to say the other day when he was asked about his player being tired...

I like Indiana, mainly when they beat Michigan. Their striped pants are so old school. They had a good freshman one and done wing a few years back. Romeo Langford. Is he in the NBA? I dont follow the NBA.

Last edited:
You mean the same. Duke team that manhandled kentucky? That Duke team? Hmmmm
A single digit win in November? That’s what you want to hang your hat on? In that case we should have Kansas’ 1 seed because we absolutely destroyed them on their home court. You played in a terrible conference this year, had 2-3 bad losses (at home nonetheless)’ have looked bad lately, and yet got a two. Anyone that is honest knows you shouldn’t have gotten that seed.

A single digit win in November? That’s what you want to hang your hat on? In that case we should have Kansas’ 1 seed because we absolutely destroyed them on their home court. You played in a terrible conference this year, had 2-3 bad losses (at home nonetheless)’ have looked bad lately, and yet got a two. Anyone that is honest knows you shouldn’t have gotten that seed.
You can debate whether Duke deserved a 2, but I don’t think you can debate there was no favorable treatment getting placed in the West.

Reactions: christophero
We’re rent free in that hollow head of yours or you wouldn’t be over here on The Duke site worrying about our seed.

We just have to beat who we get. Gonzaga may not even make the elite eight. TT may get knocked out. Just win.one at a time. These kids need to just play and not be tight. If I'm K I say I have 5 titles I dont give a ****. This is your moment. Play for yourselves.

In all honesty if Duke shows up they win against those three .
I like your optimism. I don't share it, but I like it. If they win Friday, Davidson or Michigan St would give this team fits even if they're on their best game. I'm not certain Duke makes out of the first weekend without playing at their absolute best. Texas Tech is a team that scares me. They're UVA, but better. Their pack line defense is so damn tough to score on. Zags are beatable, but tough as hell and motivated to get back to the Final Four.

We just have to beat who we get. Gonzaga may not even make the elite eight. TT may get knocked out. Just win.one at a time. These kids need to just play and not be tight. If I'm K I say I have 5 titles I dont give a ****. This is your moment. Play for yourselves.
I think he and the staff have been pounding that into their heads. Not sure this group can do it without getting tight. If the game is close or we're down late on Friday or Sunday I don't expect this group to handle it well based off of the performance in the last two Saturday night games with high pressure.

I like your optimism. I don't share it, but I like it. If they win Friday, Davidson or Michigan St would give this team fits even if they're on their best game. I'm not certain Duke makes out of the first weekend without playing at their absolute best. Texas Tech is a team that scares me. They're UVA, but better. Their pack line defense is so damn tough to score on. Zags are beatable, but tough as hell and motivated to get back to the Final Four.
I’m not worried truly about the other teams just worried that this team plays( should we show up today ball)!
My issue is Duke can be good but do they want to be .

It’s sad but true that in November we were thinking national title to where we are now
That's been the case the last several years. We peak before Xmas break; who we are then is who we are come March, for better or worse.

You all talking about possibly playing Texas Tech is like me talking about the eggs my chickens are going to hatch when *they* finally hatch, grow, and lay eggs of their own.

Duke can absolutely lose to CS Fullerton. Think about the pressure on this team; if they start to get down, it's not just their last game of the season, it's K's last game EVER. The end to a 40+ career of the most esteemed men's coach of all time.

Not only is that a ridiculous amount of pressure, this team has already crumbled under similar situations twice, and not only are we not playing like an elite team, our guys get absolutely scrambled and have no leadership identity come big moments.

Having said that, I'm not overly concerned about CS Fullerton, but I do think we have a hard road. I'd be surprised to beat either of MSU/Davidson, and I just don't see us beating T.Tech with their defense and our stagnant-watch-the-other-guy-dribble-around offense.

That's been the case the last several years. We peak before Xmas break; who we are then is who we are come March, for better or worse.
This is a pretty common blanket statement. I’d argue in 2020 before Covid shut us down we were one of the hottest teams in the country and playing as well as anyone. I don’t think this team “peaked” in November either. We didn’t even have AJ playing until really the end of 2021, and I think Roach has really improved. Our defensive and offense has had some peaks and valleys but prior to UNC we had seemed to turn a corner. Now question is, can they find that form again.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
My memory may not be accurate, but does seem a long time since we have comfortably won in the opening weekend. The Ingram team maybe? But we did have a close one against Yale. We seem to play tight early.

This is a pretty common blanket statement. I’d argue in 2020 before Covid shut us down we were one of the hottest teams in the country and playing as well as anyone. I don’t think this team “peaked” in November either. We didn’t even have AJ playing until really the end of 2021, and I think Roach has really improved. Our defensive and offense has had some peaks and valleys but prior to UNC we had seemed to turn a corner. Now question is, can they find that form again.
I mean, your points are valid but I still don’t see us as a much improved team s compared to around Xmas time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT