ADVERTISEMENT

Amile ....

It's something. Duke suffers more from stress fractures and broken foots than sprained ankles.
I used to think Carolina held that unenviable honor - Marcus Paige for 2 years and Theo Pinson, too - but recently you guys have at least pulled even. Since we have Theo back, and you guys are still suffering, the nod goes to you, with my condolences. I just hope everybody recovers fast. I like good basketball and don't like to see people get hurt - especially when their livelihood may depend upon it.

Sounds like both Chase and Javin will be ready to play vs. FSU. Amile may be game to game. OFC.

Acting Duke Basketball head coach Jeff Capel updated the injury status of graduate senior Amile Jefferson, and he will miss at least Tuesday night's game at Florida State with a bruised bone in his right foot. Fortunately for Jefferson and the team, test indicate there is no fracture or break in the foot, which caused Jefferson to miss all but nine games of last season and receive a medical hardship.

There was some positive injury news, however, as Capel said that Blue Devils' big men Chase Jeter (two games) and Javin DeLaurier (five games) are healthy and will play against the Seminoles.

Capel said that Jefferson would continue to be evaluated on Wednesday and a determination will be made then as to whether or not he can play on Saturday at Louisville.
That's good. As tall as FSU can go, going small could be a recipe for disaster - notwithstanding that you have good players for small ball.

Also depends on whether FSU's 7'4 guy is recovered from his ankle roll. I don't follow them enough to know. If he's out or limited, going small may not be so risky.

Amile won't be back this week probably but it really sounds like he WILL be back! So great news!

I'm guessing there might not be anything more official until the game tomorrow night at FSU. The consensus right now appears to be that Amile did NOT break any bones in his foot. That's encouraging, but we could still be looking at some time before he's back in the lineup.

Thanks for the insight dukie. Praying for the best...

A lil birdie saying Bolden injured Amile's foot in practice and he just hurt it worse in the game.

Reactions: dukehokie
A lil birdie saying Bolden injured Amile's foot in practice and he just hurt it worse in the game.

That makes sense, because the in-game play didn't seem particularly bad. Didn't he just jump and land?

I think some are being a tad too optimistic in regards to a return date for Amile. Being his previously hurt leg, I'd be SHOCKED if he hit the floor at all in January. My guess would be more in line with a couple games before K gets back. Obviously hoping for sooner.

The staff have shown that they aren't going to take any chances on anybody, which is a good thing, so I see him at least sitting until he walks without compensating or without a ton of pain. On top of that, bone bruises have been known to last up to a couple months, depending on the severity. I obviously have ZERO inside sources, so don't panic over my words, I just don't see it being a "small" variety bone bruise since we went from up in the air if it was broken or not. He's a warrior, no doubt. I just see the staff being cautious and that will easily spell 2 weeks. I hope I'm wrong.

The staff have shown that they aren't going to take any chances on anybody, which is a good thing, so I see him at least sitting until he walks without compensating or without a ton of pain. On top of that, bone bruises have been known to last up to a couple months, depending on the severity. I obviously have ZERO inside sources, so don't panic over my words, I just don't see it being a "small" variety bone bruise since we went from up in the air if it was broken or not. He's a warrior, no doubt. I just see the staff being cautious and that will easily spell 2 weeks. I hope I'm wrong.
Agree, but that was November, this is Mid January. Duke needs to be a 1-3 seed to have a descent shot at winning the title, preferably 1 or 2 seed.

Agree, but that was November, this is Mid January. Duke needs to be a 1-3 seed to have a descent shot at winning the title, preferably 1 or 2 seed.

That's always the goal but whatever it takes to have our team playing its best healthy basketball come March is priority 1. If sacrificing an extra game to ensure Amile is fully healthy and won't have another setback is the plan I can support that even if it means dropping from a 1-3 seed to a 4 or higher seed. If this team comes anywhere near its potential I won't care who our opponent is I would love our chances. Kentucky made a run as an 8 seed with a team that progressed very slowly. Nothing is an exact science and there's no right answer to these debates but I support whatever gets our team healthy and playing Duke basketball by March

Not to worry. According to THR and RR, Duke gets the easiest road possible every year. Bank on it.

Reactions: vcugreg
I never have put much stock into the talk about number 1 seeds and easiest road to win the championship. I looked at the last 3 years of the final four teams: Notre Dame 6 seed, Michigan St 7 seed, and Kentucky 8 vs Conneticut 7 with Uconn winning it all. I just want Duke healthy come mid February and firing on all cylinders in March. I'll take us as a 9 seed and bet the house if that happens!

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I never have put much stock into the talk about number 1 seeds and easiest road to win the championship. I looked at the last 3 years of the final four teams: Notre Dame 6 seed, Michigan St 7 seed, and Kentucky 8 vs Conneticut 7 with Uconn winning it all. I just want Duke healthy come mid February and firing on all cylinders in March. I'll take us as a 9 seed and bet the house if that happens!

I agree except the only difference is these other teams are considered the underdogs when they play a 1 or a 2 seed in the tourney and they get a ton of fan support because of that. Duke on the other hand could be a 9 seed playing a 1 seed and just because its Duke the whole arena would still support the higher seeded team and would still treat Duke as the superior team and not an underdog. But like you said if Duke is firing on all cylinders its a mute point. They have the potential to be the best team by far come March and April.

I think there is something more to this - if it is truly a bone bruise and a fracture has been COMPLETELY ruled out, Amile should be able to go if they numb that area pre-game. Playing on a true bruise/contusion would not risk anything further outside of slowing the healing.

Look at the rest of the schedule and realistically Duke could lose 6-8 games this season. Look at the NCAA tourney brackets from last year and you can see that that record could get Duke anywhere from a 3 seed to 6 seed. I would take a 3 seed right now. Even would settle for a 5 seed.

I think there is something more to this - if it is truly a bone bruise and a fracture has been COMPLETELY ruled out, Amile should be able to go if they numb that area pre-game. Playing on a true bruise/contusion would not risk anything further outside of slowing the healing.
You don't want to risk him either and right now there isn't an immediate reason to play him Saturday as much as we all want him to.

It stinks we have to worry about Amile not playing because realistically Bolden and Jeter should be able to come right in and make up for Amiles absence, but unfortunately that is not the case at this point:(

Let people keep sleeping on us. We'all get healthy, get K back and slide into tourney as 4-5 seed and we will start wrecking brackets.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Look at the rest of the schedule and realistically Duke could lose 6-8 games this season. Look at the NCAA tourney brackets from last year and you can see that that record could get Duke anywhere from a 3 seed to 6 seed. I would take a 3 seed right now. Even would settle for a 5 seed.

You can't really base anything off other seasons because they're not the same. We were a #1 seed in 2004 with six losses, and UNC was the #1 overall seed with six losses in 2006-07. On top of that, it's going to be hard for any team to win the ACC with fewer than three or four losses in conference play because of its strength. I'd be pretty surprised if, say, a 14-4 Duke, UNC or FSU team aren't a #1 seed come March. If you win 14 games this season, in this conference, you're pretty damn good.

This is right in line with what I expected when the bone bruise was announced. Those things are PAINFUL and last up to two months. Combine that with it being the same leg that he hurt last year and you have to be extra careful. Like I said above, I simply wouldn't be shocked if we don't see him back until the start of Feb. Never really thought this game was a realistic return date. I hope I'm dead wrong about early Feb.

It stinks we have to worry about Amile not playing because realistically Bolden and Jeter should be able to come right in and make up for Amiles absence, but unfortunately that is not the case at this point:(

At least one of them should. Javin can help in the pinch. If Harry can get some consistency going we could of course go with him, Luke, Allen, Jackson and Tatum as the starters or Matt in that starting position. Matt has played well as of late. If Bolden, Jeter and Javin could produce what Amile put did until he returns we should be ok. Everyone needs to do their part. It's man up time for sure. OFC

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
So many damn forces working against us this year. We have Amile and all the freshmen are hurt. Get the freshmen back, Amile hurt. Something is gonna go our way soon, I got the feelin' !

So many damn forces working against us this year. We have Amile and all the freshmen are hurt. Get the freshmen back, Amile hurt. Something is gonna go our way soon, I got the feelin' !

And at the right time too!

At least one of them should. Javin can help in the pinch. If Harry can get some consistency going we could of course go with him, Luke, Allen, Jackson and Tatum as the starters or Matt in that starting position. Matt has played well as of late. If Bolden, Jeter and Javin could produce what Amile put did until he returns we should be ok. Everyone needs to do their part. It's man up time for sure. OFC

I touched on it in the FSU post game thread, but at some point, with 6 recruited post players on the team, there's gotta be some trust built up somewhere.

We all know things are going to get better for Duke because of the law of averages. I mean come on basketball Gods, its time for us fans, players and coaches to get some relief.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT