ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Duke Lacrosse...

Hofman19

Recruit
Oct 27, 2007
After a disappointing 2022 campaign that saw the Devils excluded from the NCAA Tournament, there is early reason for optimism....

Four members of the Duke roster were instrumental in helping the United States' to their ninth straight U20/U21 Junior World Crown over the weekend in Ireland!!

-Brennan O'Neill finished as both the USA's top overall goal scorer (18), as well as their cumulative points leader (25)...In his final appearance of the tournament, #34 contributed a 2G-1A effort, closing out a string of performances that witnessed him score at least 2 goals all seven outings....Not surprisingly, he was named to the All-World Team

-Kenny Brower was not only named to the All-World Team; he was singled out as the recipient of the Most Outstanding Defender Award....The pole that always seemed to be given the toughest assignment, in two wars with the Canadians, Brower limited top scorer Ross Scott (17G, 11A, 28 points in total) to just 3 goals + 1 helper!!!

-Jake Naso was held out of the line-up for much of pool play....But he made one hell of a positive impression in the U.S.'s opening game of the tournament, winning 9-of-11 draws to dominate ball control in the 7-5 win over Canada....He was not quite as sharp in the championship rematch on Saturday (9-of-22), but his collective body of work of a 59.5% winning percentage (22-of-37) warranted commendation....With the USA clinging to the modest lead, he did prevail on a late-game draw, allowing the squad to further milk clock!

-Jake Caputo was solid on both ends of the field, as the Short-stick defensive middie locked down his assignments when the U.S. did not have possession; and even got into the mix when they did, scoring three goals (most among "defensive" personnel")

MicrosoftTeams-image__1_.png

It's a great game. My nephews love it and nice young men in their travel leagues. I would not play goalie on a dare. I would also like fewer face offs and really a change to the face off. It's like a jump ball after every basket in basketball

It's a great game. My nephews love it and nice young men in their travel leagues. I would not play goalie on a dare. I would also like fewer face offs and really a change to the face off. It's like a jump ball after every basket in basketball
I'm sure you know that that actually was the rule in college basketball until 1937, a jump ball after every made basket. Imagine last season's Duke team with Mark Williams. Imagine how many extra possessions Duke would have gotten.

But that may not have been the biggest change from that rules change. The players who were playing college basketball then have long passed from the scene. But back in the day I did have a chance to talk to a few and they all agreed that the biggest change had to do with conditioning. Previously you could catch your breath after every made basket. But all of a sudden there were more sequences without a clock stoppage and conditioning became much more important.

Good times.

Reactions: geddoughton23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT