ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting

Alex has been extremely inconsistent. Nobody argues that. But, the kid can shoot lights out. Has he? Yeah, like twice for us. To date, he has been mostly a tease. If whatever keeps him from making shots disappears he becomes extremely valuable. It isn't the opposing D. He is consistently able to get his shot off. He also has enough length and athleticism to be at least a decent defender. Will he ever put it together? Who knows?

Reactions: jamsession3
Alex has been extremely inconsistent. Nobody argues that. But, the kid can shoot lights out. Has he? Yeah, like twice for us. To date, he has been mostly a tease. If whatever keeps him from making shots disappears he becomes extremely valuable. It isn't the opposing D. He is consistently able to get his shot off. He also has enough length and athleticism to be at least a decent defender. Will he ever put it together? Who knows?

Well time is running out for him to prove it

Reactions: hart2chesson
I am struggling to find reasons why Alex would/should be given any of Joey's current minutes. It is possible that Joey goes into a shooting slump and that changes the conversation. But with how hot Joey has been lately, I don't see Alex getting anything other than spot minutes at most. Between Joey/Cassius/Wendell I believe the 2/3 positions are in good hands. Ironically, in recent years when we were more talented, but shooting was atrocious, Alex's shooting potential may have earned him more opportunities. But Joey has been money good and is currently bringing what we have hoped Alex would bring for a long long time.

Things do change though.

I agree completely Chov.

It does seem that K is still willing to give Alex opportunities, and I totally support that plan.

I am struggling to find reasons why Alex would/should be given any of Joey's current minutes. It is possible that Joey goes into a shooting slump and that changes the conversation. But with how hot Joey has been lately, I don't see Alex getting anything other than spot minutes at most. Between Joey/Cassius/Wendell I believe the 2/3 positions are in good hands. Ironically, in recent years when we were more talented, but shooting was atrocious, Alex's shooting potential may have earned him more opportunities. But Joey has been money good and is currently bringing what we have hoped Alex would bring for a long long time.

Things do change though.
I think K is being stubborn about playing Joey. He was so wrong preseason and early in the season about Joey that he just can’t validate it by starting Joey. I just don’t see how he can watch these games and say “Joey is the hardest worker”, but still start Alex. I’m just not understanding that part. Everyone says Joey is the best shooter on the team. Production should always outweigh potential.

My guess is that Alex shows what he can do in practice where playing time is earned. Coach K is giving him every chance to show he can do it in a game. We see a small snapshot of what Coach K sees so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: Mac9192
Some of you are bordering on comical. We complain because K shortens his bench, now we have some complaining when K is playing 9-10 guys. Alex can’t do this, Alex can’t do that. But let the kid sit over there and hardly play, and more would be wondering why he’s not playing.
For the record, Joey is playing better, but I like Alex playing too. He may not be what we want him to be, but he has contributed.

I think we can all agree Alex has been possibly the only dissapointment on the squad this year. Some (myself included) thought he would finally make "the leap" and become a regular starter and average probably around 12 ppg.
That hasn't happened, and I don't see it happening this year.
Should Alex be glued to the bench? No. We still need him to make some contributions.
Do I think he could become a situational player for us down the stretch? Yes. For example whenever we get zoned, Alex should play. Whenever Cassius and Wendell are struggling (which will happen in ACC play) Alex should play.

What's crazy is the defense held him back last year. Now his defense is good enough (still not on par with some of our other perimeter guys), but he hasn't been making shots and he scares me to death every time he dribbles and/or passes.

Some of you are bordering on comical. We complain because K shortens his bench, now we have some complaining when K is playing 9-10 guys. Alex can’t do this, Alex can’t do that. But let the kid sit over there and hardly play, and more would be wondering why he’s not playing.
For the record, Joey is playing better, but I like Alex playing too. He may not be what we want him to be, but he has contributed.
Nobody wants him to be parked on the bench. There’s just no reason he should be starting or playing more than 15 minutes in a game UNLESS he’s hot. Outside of that he’s not really a plus on the court

Alex is going to play....and he should. His minutes will be determined by situations, but he’s going to get chances. Rather than tear him down, let’s try and prop him up. None of us are blind....we know it’s been a struggle for him.

Really, what does it matter whether or not he starts? It’s not like he’s playing 30 minutes/night....he’s barely averaging 14. In fact, prior to the Wofford game when he played 24 minutes in a blowout, he’d only played double-digit minutes in one of the previous five games. I mean, look at the last six games or so....the shift to Joey playing more is obvious.

Nobody wants him to be parked on the bench. There’s just no reason he should be starting or playing more than 15 minutes in a game UNLESS he’s hot. Outside of that he’s not really a plus on the court

Like I said, starting or not isn’t that big of a deal. Alex is playing less than 15 minutes/game and with exception to the Wofford game, he’d played a total of 36 minutes in the previous five. It would seem, judging by those minutes, K has tightened the reigns on Alex. It’s understandable, but K also knows more than us....he likely understands Alex is going to be pretty important in spots this season.

Like I said, starting or not isn’t that big of a deal. Alex is playing less than 15 minutes/game and with exception to the Wofford game, he’d played a total of 36 minutes in the previous five. It would seem, judging by those minutes, K has tightened the reigns on Alex. It’s understandable, but K also knows more than us....he likely understands Alex is going to be pretty important in spots this season.
You’re right. Maybe he needs to just play based on matchups then. Having him out there for him to do nothing is worse than just putting him on the bench. 3 years in and the kid just doesn’t have it. You don’t have to play 10 just to play 10. We can play him like we played Goldwire the last few years.

Interesting that a recruiting thread has morphed into a referendum on Alex O'Connell. But it should be noted that his PT against Wofford may be an outlier due to the absence of Tre Jones

Why do people like you sorry or care who STARTS the game? I am more into who finishes the game

I’m not into wasting minutes on someone. Starting games are actually important too. They set the tone. I would start Goldwire with Tre out the gate.

I don't care who they start as long as the best 5 are in at the end of the game if it's close...every second is important I guess but if a guy plays 2 minutes at start of the game it's not as important IMO as the last 2 minutes of a close game

I’m not into wasting minutes on someone. Starting games are actually important too. They set the tone. I would start Goldwire with Tre out the gate.
You do realize we’re 10-1, right? The game we lost, Alex played 6 minutes. We lost in overtime too.
If we were 5-5 and he was starting every game, and playing 30 minutes with the stats he’s putting up, then you might have a point. But I don’t see what you’re fussing about, other than to just nit pick Coach K.

You do realize we’re 10-1, right? The game we lost, Alex played 6 minutes. We lost in overtime too.
If we were 5-5 and he was starting every game, and playing 30 minutes with the stats he’s putting up, then you might have a point. But I don’t see what you’re fussing about, other than to just nit pick Coach K.
You act like I brought it up. I elaborated like everyone else. There’s no purpose for Alex to be starting. PERIOD

Reactions: Duke937
Alex hasn't played well, but I'm loving the deep rotation. I wouldn't mess with Joey right now. He seems to have found his niche coming off the bench.

Well this has gone off the rails...

Originally no one was taking cheap shots at Alex and no one was suggesting Coach K should shorten his bench. People were simply saying that we have a deep roster this year, full of guys that bring a certain something, a certain role. If we need defense, we’ll go with JGold. If we need toughness, we’ll go with Wendell. If we need to be athletic, we’ll go with Cassius. We have all been hoping for a few years now that if we needed shooting we could go with Alex. He’s had glimpses (see @Syracuse last year), but he’s had a lot of struggles as well. Fact of the matter is when you look down the bench and see 2 guys that both are known as shooters and only 1 is making shots, that is who you are going to go with. We don’t need to be so sensitive about that.

I root like heck for Alex, he’s represented the brotherhood well since he’s arrived. But you can’t keep rolling him out there just hoping the ball will start going in. He’ll get his shots going forward, but I don’t think they’ll be extended rotational minutes, especially when ACC play begins. He’ll likely get spot minutes.
And what he does with those minutes will dictate how many more he gets going forward.

Anyone suggesting he isn’t a DI player or should rot on the bench is equally wrong IMO.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Well this has gone off the rails...

Originally no one was taking cheap shots at Alex and no one was suggesting Coach K should shorten his bench. People were simply saying that we have a deep roster this year, full of guys that bring a certain something, a certain role. If we need defense, we’ll go with JGold. If we need toughness, we’ll go with Wendell. If we need to be athletic, we’ll go with Cassius. We have all been hoping for a few years now that if we needed shooting we could go with Alex. He’s had glimpses (see @Syracuse last year), but he’s had a lot of struggles as well. Fact of the matter is when you look down the bench and see 2 guys that both are known as shooters and only 1 is making shots, that is who you are going to go with. We don’t need to be so sensitive about that.

I root like heck for Alex, he’s represented the brotherhood well since he’s arrived. But you can’t keep rolling him out there just hoping the ball will start going in. He’ll get his shots going forward, but I don’t think they’ll be extended rotational minutes, especially when ACC play begins. He’ll likely get spot minutes.
And what he does with those minutes will dictate how many more he gets going forward.

Anyone suggesting he isn’t a DI player or should rot on the bench is equally wrong IMO.

Very sensible and logical post....OFC

We need another Big taller than 6'9...or at least 6'9 and over 235lbs.

Did Battier or Roshawn ever play center when Elton was hurt? And keep in mind, Elton was barely 6'8/6'9.

Duke had Taymon Domzalski and Chris Burgess those years...both over 6'10. Sorry, I forgot.

Reactions: jwill133
Mac did hit the nail right on the head, many here whine because of a short bench then whine when everyone is playing. I guess it all boils down to ya just like to whine. As for me 10-1 , in K I trust.

Amen. Enjoy the ride folks. We are a spoiled finicky fan base. OFC

Let's revisit this thread in February when everyone is wringing their hands because only 6 guys are playing and we are afraid of "tired legs".

Mac did hit the nail right on the head, many here whine because of a short bench then whine when everyone is playing. I guess it all boils down to ya just like to whine. As for me 10-1 , in K I trust.
AMEN!!!!!!!!
OFC

Let's revisit this thread in February when everyone is wringing their hands because only 6 guys are playing and we are afraid of "tired legs".

I have to tell you that I'm usually focused on the game. The pick and rolls, the diagonal down passes, the hook and ladder play, the down and out, the jump and screens, the blown assist, the blown dunks or dinks, the bloan free throws, the blown flops,the blown shots or air balls, the turn your head and look defense and non expression on Vernon'shows face. Now that we are getting into league my players I'm going to observe how much emotion are going intimate the high fives, the emotions on our coaching staff faces and most of all the body language of theach guys sitting on the bench. Do they have their legs crossed, are they leaning back, are they leaning forward with their elbows on their knees and chins in their hands. Do they jump up with enthusiasm when their team mates make a great play or do they just rise slowly and politely clapp. To me this is the only way we as fans are going to know just how far this team has come. I wish they had a bench camera so it would be a split screen and we as solid and knowledgeable Duke fans could get a true grasp of what's going on. A look into the locker room and the closed practices would also help. :) OFC

Last edited:
I disagree. Duke had no business beating THAT UNC team at UNC. That UNC team that was being pegged as a title favorite UNC, not a 2010 UNC team. We also beat Kansas in dramatic fashion as well that same year.

Most forget that Ryan Kelly’s injury that season was more important —especially when we lost him again in 2013.
I know. Lol. A lot of people disagree with me. Now, at the time, when Rivers hit that shot, i absolutely loved it, but for me the ending of that season was really depressing to the point that I try to forget most of 2011-12 season. We should have still beaten Lehigh even without Kelly.

We need another Big taller than 6'9...or at least 6'9 and over 235lbs.

Did Battier or Roshawn ever play center when Elton was hurt? And keep in mind, Elton was barely 6'8/6'9.

Duke tried Burgess and Domzalski. Neither worked. Domzalski's last start was in a 97-73 loss at Carolina. After that Duke went with Batter and McLeod both starting until Brand was fully recovered.

And Brand was 6-8, but 6-8, 260 pounds with the wingspan of a 7-footer and the athleticism of a wing. Not an easily replicable combination

Reactions: jamsession3
If Henry Coleman can make it as a backup or Keneen playing some time at the center Duke should be good.

Solid post, and you hit the nail on the head. Some are gonna whine regardless. If I may quote sky, “ it’s their nature, bless their hearts, they can’t help it”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT