ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting

I may be wrong, but we don't have but 1 true center on this years team and we seem to be ok!!!! Jav is not a center!!!!
OFC

but he is a “big”. I personally think Brakefield and Coleman can fill in as bigs just fine next year behind williams. However, some more depth would be very helpful. Especially some experienced depth (grad transfer would be ideal imo)

Hopefully hurt will stay and we can play some fast pace spread the floor small ball and use William's when matchups require him

I just can’t see Hurt leaving. He’s skilled, but he’s nowhere near physically ready for the pros. I guess he could just go the D league.

I just can’t see Hurt leaving. He’s skilled, but he’s nowhere near physically ready for the pros. I guess he could just go the D league.

If Hurt has a chance to be a first-round pick, he likely scoots. If Duke makes a deep run, then it’s probably a certainty.

He’s not ready now and he won’t be ready in four months, either. But he can get stronger and better in the pros just like at Duke. One will pay him handsomely to do so.

Reactions: skysdad and dbav
My rule of thumb is always, if we win a chip I don’t care who leaves. But I’m with you, I think he’d get killed even in the gleague until he puts on some mass

Reactions: skysdad
I agree that most aren’t ready, but expect everyone of our freshmen to go, but be pleased if any decide to come back.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
If Hurt has a chance to be a first-round pick, he likely scoots. If Duke makes a deep run, then it’s probably a certainty.

He’s not ready now and he won’t be ready in four months, either. But he can get stronger and better in the pros just like at Duke. One will pay him handsomely to do so.
Yeah but will he be ready in 2 or 3 years. I guess my point is his rookie deal would be over and he is in the g league or something. I don't get going when your not a guaranteed first round pick. Like if Gary trent doesn't show something next year he could be out of the league.

Yeah but will he be ready in 2 or 3 years. I guess my point is his rookie deal would be over and he is in the g league or something. I don't get going when your not a guaranteed first round pick. Like if Gary trent doesn't show something next year he could be out of the league.

In a sense, then wouldn’t it be more prudent to go now and make some money?

In a sense, then wouldn’t it be more prudent to go now and make some money?
Yes if your a guaranteed NBA player then yes. But I guess I question how good is hurt at that level. Like is his ceiling a senior Ryan kelly? For example Stanley might have to go because of his age which will be used against him the longer he stays. But with hurt he has a chance to be 1a and 1b with Johnson next year on a top 5 duke team. To me there is a big difference between going top 20 after sophomore year compared to second round after freshman year in the long and short term. Look at a guy like Luke kennard where he is setting himself up to get a very nice second contract.

Yes if your a guaranteed NBA player then yes. But I guess I question how good is hurt at that level. Like is his ceiling a senior Ryan kelly? For example Stanley might have to go because of his age which will be used against him the longer he stays. But with hurt he has a chance to be 1a and 1b with Johnson next year on a top 5 duke team. To me there is a big difference between going top 20 after sophomore year compared to second round after freshman year in the long and short term. Look at a guy like Luke kennard where he is setting himself up to get a very nice second contract.

Luke is on the perfect team that enhances his assets, and does not exploit his deficits. Plus, Luke is a hard worker.

Unfortunately, everyone that goes to the league are not put in a perfect situation.

1. Roach/goldwire
2. Steward/ ?
3. Johnson/ baker
4. Brakefield/ Coleman
5. Mark/?

Who takes the final 2 spots?
1. Aoc
2. Cash
3. Wendell
4. Hurt
5. Kuminga
6. Bediako

https://247sports.com/college/duke/...9QhhXawZTPr5wUpR3WY5w8z0Sq_bc9Dc-ST5klaEQ8LPY

Ive never been a Doc Rivers guy, all NBA related. However, this is such a dumb thing to say and completely unnecessary. Nothing will come of this (because everyone is getting paid under the table), but I look forward to a 10 page RR thread about this.

He was joking of course but this is just feed for the cheater fans and of course they believe him. They will for sure start a petition for the UNCNCAA to launch an investigation into it. OFC

I think Sky needs to hold a press conference and clear the air that we only pay refs not players. Don't need to pay players.

They think I pay everybody except johnny " tar heel "swofford. OFC

Reactions: Liftee
I thought we stopped paying players when Capel left, and our recruiting dried up. Oh, wait...

Reactions: QC Dukie
He was joking obviously cause they’re the last family who would need money but there’s always the dumb fans who believe everything they hear. Still a dumb comment tho.

Many of you have heard me tell the story of when I went to CTC with Show in 2017 when Zion was on a visit with his mom and dad. We ate at The Skillet on campus and Zion, his parents, Coaches Capel and Smith were there eating at the table next to us. The story I have told before is I got up to refill my beverage and walked by Zion's table. I've told that Zion's dad said hello to me and Zion nodded his head in which I said was a silent verbal. Well Santa Claus is coming tomorrow night and it's time to be a good ole fart and tell the truth. The whole truth about what went on that day. I told Show I was going to refill my drink. He grabbed me by the hand and pulled out a roll of one thousand dollar bills about the size of a soccer ball out of his pants and told me to discreetly without the coaches seeing me drop it into Zion"s lap. It was at that time when Zion's dad said hello and Zion gave the silent verbal. So sorry Show but the time has come to come clean. I'm hoping there is a statue of limitations on this and Coach K and staff never knew anything about it. I hope Santa comes to see me. He hasn't since 2016 and I know this is the reason why. I also hope that none of the thr lurkers see this because I'm afraid they will turn Show and me to the UNCNCAA because those three guys don't like either Show or me. :):(;):Do_O OFC

Last edited:
Anything we paid for rivers was too much
I know I have said it plenty of times on here, but I never can get excited about seeing that shot at the buzzer to beat the holes just because the way that season ended. If we had made it to the second round or second weekend, I would have enjoyed watching that shot over and over again.

Many of you have heard me tell the story of when I went to CTC with Show in 2017 when Zion was on a visit with his mom and dad. We ate at The Skillet on campus and Zion, his parents, Coaches Capel and Smith were there eating at the table next to us. The story I have told before is I got up to refill my beverage and walked by Zion's table. I've told that Zion's dad said hello to me and Zion nodded his head in which I said was a silent verbal. Well Santa Claus is coming tomorrow night and it's time to be a good ole fart and tell the truth. The whole truth about what went on that day. I told Show I was going to refill my drink. He grabbed me by the hand and pulled out a roll of one thousand dollar bills about the size of a soccer ball out of his pants and told me to discreetly without the coaches seeing me drop it into Zion"s lap. It was at that time when Zion's dad said hello and Zion gave the silent verbal. So sorry Show but the time has come to come clean. I'm hoping there is a statue of limitations on this and Coach K and staff never knew anything about it. I hope Santa comes to see me. He hasn't since 2016 and I know this is the reason why. I also hope that none of the thr lurkers see this because I'm afraid they will turn Show and me to the UNCNCAA because those three guys don't like either Show or me. :):(;):Do_O OFC

UNCNCAA......LMAO!!! Haha!

I know I have said it plenty of times on here, but I never can get excited about seeing that shot at the buzzer to beat the holes just because the way that season ended. If we had made it to the second round or second weekend, I would have enjoyed watching that shot over and over again.

I still enjoy that shot. Always will. It’s a really great moment in the Duke-UNC rivalry.

Doc was obviously joking, but it’s good fodder for idiots to run with....and run they will.

Lastly, I’ll never totally understand the anti-Rivers sentiment so many people have. I mean, I get it....the end of the season was a complete disaster. But people don’t really think that was all on him, do they?

I still enjoy that shot. Always will. It’s a really great moment in the Duke-UNC rivalry.

Doc was obviously joking, but it’s good fodder for idiots to run with....and run they will.

Lastly, I’ll never totally understand the anti-Rivers sentiment so many people have. I mean, I get it....the end of the season was a complete disaster. But people don’t really think that was all on him, do they?
I’m not blaming Rivers for how that season went down, and I do like Rivers. I understand that the shot was a great moment in the rivalry. I’m just saying that for me personally, it’s just hard for me to enjoy that moment, because we all know how that season ended.

Reactions: dukiejay
I’m not blaming Rivers for how that season went down, and I do like Rivers. I understand that the shot was a great moment in the rivalry. I’m just saying that for me personally, it’s just hard for me to enjoy that moment, because we all know how that season ended.

I wasn't really saying you....sorry if it came across that way. I just quoted you because I still enjoy the shot very much. :D

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
I have nothing against Austin either. Is he one of my favorite One and Done guys? No, not even close. However, he was a massive recruit that committed to Duke when we still weren't seen as the "cool" program. He was the 2nd domino after Kyrie.

The Duke team Austin played on just wasn't a great team, plain and simple. I think what irritated a lot of people was Austin's type of game. He was a score first, score second, pass third type of guard. He came to Duke to score, not to become a well rounded player (from what it seemed.) And the fact that his Duke team didn't really have a point guard, everything snowballed out of of control and I feel like Austin took a lot of the blame because he was the best player.

Could he have committed more defensively? Yes, definitely. What's funny is his niche' in the NBA has become defense, he's elite on that end of the floor.
Will he always be a part of the brotherhood even though his team's loss was super embarrassing and painful? Yes, 100%.

I have nothing against Austin either. Is he one of my favorite One and Done guys? No, not even close. However, he was a massive recruit that committed to Duke when we still weren't seen as the "cool" program. He was the 2nd domino after Kyrie.

The Duke team Austin played on just wasn't a great team, plain and simple. I think what irritated a lot of people was Austin's type of game. He was a score first, score second, pass third type of guard. He came to Duke to score, not to become a well rounded player (from what it seemed.) And the fact that his Duke team didn't really have a point guard, everything snowballed out of of control and I feel like Austin took a lot of the blame because he was the best player.

Could he have committed more defensively? Yes, definitely. What's funny is his niche' in the NBA has become defense, he's elite on that end of the floor.
Will he always be a part of the brotherhood even though his team's loss was super embarrassing and painful? Yes, 100%.

pretty much summed it up

Our team with Rivers kind of reminds me of UNC this year with Anthony. Austin was a score first guy, yes. But so was RJ, he just had a much better supporting cast. I place no blame on Rivers. Or I guess I don't put more on him than anyone else that year. The team chemistry was mostly off, imo, because we had 3 scoring guards in Austin, Seth, and Andre, and developing big men in Mason and Ryan. Looking back, it probably would've been a good idea to start leaning on Mason more like they did the following year. But either way we didn't have a true pg, turned the ball over a ton, and struggled defensively.

I disagree. Duke had no business beating THAT UNC team at UNC. That UNC team that was being pegged as a title favorite UNC, not a 2010 UNC team. We also beat Kansas in dramatic fashion as well that same year.

Most forget that Ryan Kelly’s injury that season was more important —especially when we lost him again in 2013.

Reactions: timo0402

They do.

Agreed. That’s why that UNC moment really had Austin’s haters in a bind. Had that Duke team gone further, his shot would be next to Laettner’s Kentucky shot.

1. Roach/goldwire
2. Steward/ ?
3. Johnson/ baker
4. Brakefield/ Coleman
5. Mark/?

Who takes the final 2 spots?
1. Aoc
2. Cash
3. Wendell
4. Hurt
5. Kuminga
6. Bediako

No offense but you must be crazy if you think 5 freshman are starting next year under any circumstance. Senior goldwire and o'Connell, junior joey baker, soph moore and possibly soph stanley or hurt. I personally dont think goldwire is much of a dropoff from tre this year so I could see him starting over roach. Also i could see o'Connell or moore starting over steward and if hurt returns I think William's wont start and we play small and space the floor with shooters

No offense but you must be crazy if you think 5 freshman are starting next year under any circumstance. Senior goldwire and o'Connell, junior joey baker, soph moore and possibly soph stanley or hurt. I personally dont think goldwire is much of a dropoff from tre this year so I could see him starting over roach. Also i could see o'Connell or moore starting over steward and if hurt returns I think William's wont start and we play small and space the floor with shooters

What exactly shows you that you would think AOC would start over anyone?

Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT