ADVERTISEMENT

Your favorite five.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Who are your favorite five Duke players ever. Not your five greatest or favorite starting five but YOUR five favorite players. My favorite five is really tough because their have been so many. But five and only five it will be. Not in order.

1. Jim Spanarkel
2. Mike Gminski
3. Gene Banks
4. Grant Hill
5. Marshall Plumlee

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
My favorite five Duke players
1: JJ Redick
2: Shane Battier
3: Elton Brand
4: Luol Deng
5: Christian Laettner

Alarie
Tony Lang
G. Hill
Laetner
Reddick
Brickey
Langdon
Battier

No way I could keep it to 5.

Alarie
Tony Lang
G. Hill
Laetner
Reddick
Brickey
Langdon
Battier

No way I could keep it to 5.

It's hard I know. I could have listed ten. You gotta do it buddy. Cut it to five or this thread will blow up and out of control. OFC

1) Battier
2) Laettner
3) Singler
4) Scheyer
5) G. Hill
Runner up tie: Langdon/Reddicl

Favorite five please. Maybe someone needs to start a thread with favorite Duke players. I will fill it up. OFC

I love and hate threads like this....seems impossible, but I'll give it a shot.

1.) Laettner - not sure he could ever be topped
2.) Redick - just loved him
3.) Tyus - Minnesota boy made me proud
4.) Battier - heart and guts
5.) Grant - such a special talent

I refuse to ever pick someone from the 2010 team. They're my all-time favorite Duke team and I feel like I'd have to pick every one of them.

In no order except for JJ

1.Redick- not only favorite dukie but favorite athlete any sport
2. Dunleavy- idk why but I was pretty young during the 01 season but he was my fav player on the team
3.Justice- man-child beast who is take all day with me into a battle. If I could have anyone that left early for another war it woulda been him
4.Grayson- love everything about him
5. Singler- tough, gritty, fundamentally sound..
I agree with DJ about 2010 being my favorite team. That ride we had was the greatest and the one I cherish most

1. JJ Redick
2. Jon Scheyer
3. Jay Williams
4. Grayson Allen
5. Andre Dawkins

Just one more year and one more ring out of Grayson and he will move on up my list.

Reactions: skysdad
I refuse to ever pick someone from the 2010 team. They're my all-time favorite Duke team and I feel like I'd have to pick every one of them.
There were 4 of them in contention for me, so leaving them out frees up more spots.
1. Shane
2. JJ
3. Laettner
4. Amaker
5. Marshall

My favorites stayed all 4 years. Felt like I grew up with them.
Huh. Mine, too. I didn't think of that. It makes sense, though. More time means more of an impression.

I'll say, though, Brandon Ingram has a much better chance of going down in Duke history as a more beloved, fondly remembered player than Maggette, Deng, and maybe even Brand, and it's much more about how we've all adjusted to the times as fans as opposed to anything about those guys' individual character and merit. We were all surprised and even a little resentful when Deng left, but we pretty much knew before he even arrived that Brandon would only be here one year, and with the benefit of more than a decade of perspective, we have learned to accept that brevity and appreciate a guy while he's here.

This is so hard to do. We are so blessed. I went over-sorry- and totally forgot the 2010 boys. Even Sky's list in the other thread left out Nate James I think. Great, great memories and I am very proud to be a Duke fan. To think of some of the A-holes from 8 miles down the road, and then watch interviews with Reddick and Laetner-who are both awesome individuals but hated and considered all time college basketball villains, it just totally reaffirms why I love Duke.

I'm a little younger then most around here so my list is a little modern but here we go...

1. Redick - first Duke jersey I ever owned the one that got me into Duke Basketball

2. Quinn - Just the growth he showed over 4 years... Was incredibly happy he was able to leave with a ring

3. Singler - The guy was an all around warrior left it out on the court every single time.

4. Nolan Smith - He's called the people's champ for a reason had a chance to meet him and just an incredibly nice and out going not to mention he wasn't too bad at basketball.... ;);)

5. Kyrie Irving - I'll admit I may be a little biased cause he grew up about 20 min from me, but in those 10 games he was a stud. Gosh that damn toe!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

1. Grant Hill
2. Danny Ferry, the reason I started watching college basketball.
3. Jay Williams
4. Shane Battier
5. Elton Brand/J.J. Redick.
I didn't add any one and dones to my list.

Favorite 5
Bobby Hurley
Shelden Wiliams
Andre Dawkins
JJ Redick
Wojo

Favorite 5 (who didn't really have much impact, but had fun routing for them)
David McClure
Lee Melchionni
Brian Zoubek
Patrick Johnson
Jamal Boykin

Hurley
Laettner
Giminski
G Hill
Battier

Bobby Hurley will always be my all time favorite Dukie. That kid was a beast!

OFC

Reactions: DukeDenver
1. Dawkins- anyone old enough to understand what his commitment meant at the time and what it's meant since couldn't possibly omit him.
2. Jim Spanarkel- my favorite as a kid
3. Vince Taylor- my second favorite as a kid
4. Shane Battier- willed us to victories
5. Bobby Hurley- hit the 3 down 5 to Vegas that changed everything.

I'm a Virginia native, so my top two are VA guys that I got to see play in high school and go on to stardom.

1. Hill
2. Redick
3. Laettner
4. Battier
5. Hurley

REALLY hard to cut it to five.

J Will
Redick
singler
Laettner
Smitty
This is my all-assassin team. Not necessarily the best or most talented, but the ones with the most will to win.

Been watching since 93-94 season, but a lot of the newer guys resonate with me better for some reason.

1. Mason Plumlee
2. Grayson Allen
3. Jason Williams
4. Mike Dunleavy
5. Nolan Smith

HM: Casey Sanders, Shane Battier, Ricky Price

1. Jason Williams
2. Tyus/ Justise/ Jahlil...way too hard to only pick 1.
3. Kyle SIngler
4. Chris Duhon
5. JJ Redick...would have been #1 if he had won a title.

Shane Battier
Christian Laettner
Bobby Hurley
Johnny Dawkins
JJ Redick

1 - Laettner
2 - Hurley
3 - Redick
4 - Battier
5 - Ferry
5a - Shelden Williams

ADVERTISEMENT