ADVERTISEMENT

Your bakers dozen favorite Duke bb players.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
At 1st it was just your 5 favorite players but there are so many 5 is not enough. For me ten is not enough. So I thought just make it a full 13 scholly roster. Still had a hard time. Have fun .

Not in order.
1. PG Bobby Hurley
2. PG Wojo
3. CG Tate Armstrong
4. CG Johnny Dawkins
5. SG Jim Sparnarkel
6. SG JJ Redick
7. C Mike Gminski
8. C Marshall Plumlee
9. PF Gene Banks
10. PF Zion Williamson
11. PF Mike Lewis
12. SF Grant Hill
13. Shane Battier

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
I like the idea...

1. Jay Williams
2. Kyrie
3. Quinn Cook
4. Luke Kennard
5. Seth Curry
6. Andre Dawkins
7. Cam Reddish
8. Wendell Carter
9. Zion
10. Grant Hill
11. Marvin Bagley
12. Tyus Jones
13. Shane Battier

I’m only 29, so my list is a little recent if you can’t tell. But looking at my list, we are SPOILED!

Hill
Hurley
Laettner
Amaker
Brand
Battier (my favorite)
Avery
J Will
Dunleavy
Singler
Winslow
Zion
Maggette

I think we are gonna see a really lot of favorites. If my count is right just in two post 23 players have been named. For some reason any of you young guys do not know who a player is hart , myself or some of the other old farts will be happy to tell you about them. OFC

This is going to be a challenge! In no particular order:

01) Christian Laettner
02) Bobby Hurley
03) Grant Hill
04) Trajan Langdon
05) Wojo
06) Shane Battier
07) Nate James
08) Jon Scheyer
09) Andre Dawkins
10) Marshall Plumlee
11) Quinn Cook
12) Carlos Boozer
13) Jay Heaps (what a defender!)

JJ
Hurley
Laettner
Zion
Tatum
Battier
Jay Williams
Grayson
Quinn
Tyus
Grant
Winslow
Boozer

I like the idea...

1. Jay Williams
2. Kyrie
3. Quinn Cook
4. Luke Kennard
5. Seth Curry
6. Andre Dawkins
7. Cam Reddish
8. Wendell Carter
9. Zion
10. Grant Hill
11. Marvin Bagley
12. Tyus Jones
13. Shane Battier

I’m only 29, so my list is a little recent if you can’t tell. But looking at my list, we are SPOILED!
Holy crap.. I forgot Winslow, Grayson, AND JJ?!

Can they be walk-ons??

Reactions: skysdad
I don't want to get banned. My username indicated that I'm a UNC fan. I grew up cheering for Charlie Scott, Billy Cunningham, George Karl, et al. I thought that Dean Smith was fascinating and sincere. I can understand how if you grew up in North Carolina twenty years after I did, you might cheer for Duke. Here is my list of favorite Duke players even though many of them caused me consternation:
1. Christian Laettner. He was terrific. 4 Final Fours and 2 Titles.
2. Jim Spanarkel. He was in control and loved the game. And he was a pal of UNC star, Mike O'Koren
3. Billy McCaffrey. He was an assassin. He wanted the big shot.
4. Art Heyman. I was really little. But I could tell that he was the best player and wanted to win more than anyone
5. Kenny Dennard. Played with abandon. Didn't care about his stats. Just wanted to win.
6. Tate Armstrong. This is a tough one. Dean Smith didn't like him and refused to play him during the 1976 Olympics. He controlled the game
7. Thomas Hill. Versatile. Could play with any combination
8. Chris Duhon. Sat with his family at the Raleigh Christmas high school tournament. They were very nice and another player who controlled the game
9. Zion Williamson. Electrifying and nice
10. Chip Engelland. I love shooters. He could have helped a team with great players
11. Shane Battier. Fabulous College player. Good student. Poised
12. Grant Hill. Incredible alley oop dunk to sink Kansas and ol Roy in the 1991 national championship game. I love UNC basketball but can't stand Roy Williams. I was banned today from Tar Heel Illustrated today for saying that
13. Tommy Amaker. He set the tone for Coach Krzyzewski's success

This is a hard one but definitely a fun one. Not really in any order but the first four are in the right spots.

1. Shane Battier
2. JJ Redick
3. Trajan Langdon
4. Jim Spanarkel
5. Chris Carrawell
6. Bobby Hurley
7. Johnny Dawkins
8. Mike Gminski
9. Tyus/Tre Jones (I cheated here)
10. Grant Hill
11. Roshown McLeod
12. Dick Groat (before my time, but what career/life he’s had)
13. Jon Scheyer

Oh boy. I'll give it a try.

1. Scheyer.
2. Singler.
3. Winslow (wife liked him a lot too)
4. Grayson (bled Duke blue)
5. Bob Fleischer (deserved more recognition)
6. Robert Brickey (really exciting)
7. Redick
8. Elton Brand
9. Thomas Hill
10. Quin Cook (loved him from day 1)
11. Kyrie Irving (I just loved watching him dominate for 11 games)
12. Dunleavy
13. Hurley

It's hard to leave off Laettner/Nolan Smith/JWill/Battier/ Spanarkel/Gminski/Verga/Heyman and a bunch of others but they have been chosen already so they don't need my vote.

I don't want to get banned. My username indicated that I'm a UNC fan. I grew up cheering for Charlie Scott, Billy Cunningham, George Karl, et al. I thought that Dean Smith was fascinating and sincere. I can understand how if you grew up in North Carolina twenty years after I did, you might cheer for Duke. Here is my list of favorite Duke players even though many of them caused me consternation:
2. Jim Spanarkel. He was in control and loved the game. And he was a pal of UNC star, Mike O'Koren
4. Art Heyman. I was really little. But I could tell that he was the best player and wanted to win more than anyone
5. Kenny Dennard. Played with abandon. Didn't care about his stats. Just wanted to win.
6. Tate Armstrong. This is a tough one. Dean Smith didn't like him and refused to play him during the 1976 Olympics. He controlled the game
8. Chris Duhon. Sat with his family at the Raleigh Christmas high school tournament. They were very nice and another player who controlled the game
10. Chip Engelland. I love shooters. He could have helped a team with great players
12. Grant Hill. Incredible alley oop dunk to sink Kansas and ol Roy in the 1991 national championship game. I love UNC basketball but can't stand Roy Williams. I was banned today from Tar Heel Illustrated today for saying that

That's good of you to recognize Duke players. You are an honorable man and gla you are posting here. One heck of a trivia player also. With that said I decided to make a list of my favorite tar heel players,

1. Bobby Jones.

Sorry that's as far as I got.:) OFC

That's good of you to recognize Duke players. You are an honorable man and gla you are posting here. One heck of a trivia player also. With that said I decided to make a list of my favorite tar heel players,

1. Bobby Jones.

Sky, I'm with you on your list. I would probably add Tyler Zeller for obvious reasons, and Billy C. from early on. I kind of liked Phil Ford also. That's my entire list.

Sky, I'm with you on your list. I would probably add Tyler Zeller for obvious reasons, and Billy C. from early on. I kind of liked Phil Ford also. That's my entire list.

I was just happy to ford leave. OFC

1. Bobby Jones.

Sky,I thought Sheed was your favorite heel! LOL

If my math is correct there are 51 players that have been listed. I did not realize how hard this would be. I left off Singler, Scheyer, Laettner which is tough, Alarie, Amaker and Allen and Cherokee. I guess you could call this a blown thread. :) OFC

Last edited:
In order.
1 JJ
2. Zion
3. J Williams
4. T Jones
5. J Okafor
6. L Kennard
7. K Irving
8. G Allen
9.M Bagley
10. Q Cook
11. N Smith
12. S Curry
13. Shane B
Feel like I’m forgetting guys...

wow I left off Nate James and Chris Carrawell. I really liked those 2. I remember having a Street and Smith's college basketball preview and those 2 were top 10 recruits. They were big names in high school. I left Langdon off too. Langdon plus some random number was my AOL screen name in the old internet days.

I'm curious to see who will be most commonly listed. My brain hurts trying to come up with my favorites lol, very hard to choose!

I don’t think I can even name 13 guys during my time...Lmao

1 Verga 2 Marin 3 Lewis 4 Denton 5 Fleisher, 6 Vince Williams 7 Armstrong 8 Spanarkel 9 Banks 10 Gminski 11 Alarie 12 Laettner 13 Hurley.This is an OFC list.I cannot keep my list to thirteen and include my favorite new players

1 Verga 2 Marin 3 Lewis 4 Denton 5 Fleisher, 6 Vince Williams 7 Armstrong 8 Spanarkel 9 Banks 10 Gminski 11 Alarie 12 Laettner 13 Hurley.This is an OFC list.I cannot keep my list to thirteen and include my favorite new players

Who is Vince Williams? The others I'm definitely on board with.

Good Lord are you 100 years old? :p

Reactions: kingbluedevil
That is an impressive list and Dennard grew up in our small town so he would be on my list

1. Laettner
2. Battier
3. Grant Hill
4. Hurley
5. JJ
6. J. Williams
7. Nolan
8. Singler
9. Jon Scheyer
10. Sheldon
11. Duhon
12. Quinn Cook
13. Grayson

This was so hard though. Leaving off Zion was especially hard. Love that guy. However, I had to put guys who played more than a year with the team. Thought about the ones I had the most emotional reactions to. Cook standing on the podium after winning a championship talking about his dad and Coach K is one of my all time favorite moments in Duke history. What an amazing journey that young man had. Not the most talented player we've had. But I'd argue you to find one with a bigger heart.

1. Hurley
2. Laettner
3. Grant Hill
4. Thomas Hill
5. Ferry
6. Dennard
7. Zion
8. Gminski
9. Alerie
10. Redick
11. J. Dawkins
12. J. Williams
13. S. Curry

I agree players that made the final four were mostly on my list. When you're only here one year and don't make the final four it moves a person down my list. Doesn't mean I don't like them but this is an all time favorites list.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT