ADVERTISEMENT

Will this be K's BEST TEAM EVER????

That is a question way too early to answer. I'm having to curb my enthusiasm a little. We are still young and the season is way too early. In fact the season hasn't really started yet. I love this team so far and the players seem to enjoy each other but while I watched CTC with last years team I got the same vibs. Please guys we need no 40-0 predictions. The ACC schedule itself will take care of that. We are going to find out a lot this coming Tuesday with UK. We need some leaders from the upper classman early and that same leadership as our freshman get some experience. Unselfishness is also needed but if a player is hot then he should be let loose. I like what I see and without a doubt we can win it all. I still the the '92 team is our best ever. Good thread hart. OFC

I think it's fair to say, in terms of pure, raw talent, that this team is pretty good on paper and compares favorably with other 'great' Duke teams. As we've learned recently, though, that doesn't always equate to great success.

There's going to highs and lows for this group. Some nights they will wow us, and a few they might look like young freshmen. My advice would be to enjoy the ride and the process....as tough as it might be at times.

That is a question way too early to answer. I'm having to curb my enthusiasm a little. We are still young and the season is way too early. In fact the season hasn't really started yet. I love this team so far and the players seem to enjoy each other but while I watched CTC with last years team I got the same vibs. Please guys we need no 40-0 predictions. The ACC schedule itself will take care of that. We are going to find out a lot this coming Tuesday with UK. We need some leaders from the upper classman early and that same leadership as our freshman get some experience. Unselfishness is also needed but if a player is hot then he should be let loose. I like what I see and without a doubt we can win it all. I still the the '92 team is our best ever. Good thread hart. OFC

Thanks Sky...thought it raised some good talking points but agree its way too early.....

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
I think we have the capability to be better than I had expected, not that I didn't think we'd be talented. It all comes down to chemistry though.
We jump right into the fire in one week, and with the schedule we face this season, we will earn every victory. We have non conference games with Kentucky, Indiana, a loaded Maui Invitational, and St John's.

Don't know what our record will be going into December, but it really will be meaningless, as long as we are getting better once conference play starts, and peaking for the conference tournament.

I know K's one of the best ever, and this isn't meant to come across as complaining about him, but with how our last couple seasons have gone, I hope he'll tweak how he's done a few things. Sharing the ball is maybe the biggest thing offensively. Don't be too reliant on one guy.

Just read this article over on The Ringer and Hart you beat me to posting it! The easy answer is obviously no this won't be K's best team ever, that's some stiff competition. But....I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that something magical happens this year. I'm not saying 40-0 or anything, but I'm saying complete domination and embaressing other good teams on a night to night basis. We could be beating good teams on the road by double digits and beating anyone in Cameron by 30...it's in play.

Still way too early to predict anything, but did anyone honestly expect Zion to be this good/dominant/polished?? I sure didn't. So thats a start.

I also feel like the basketball gods will look after us this year, just a hunch....we surely deserve it after the 16-17 injury season and Grayson's roll off the rim last year.

I for one expected it from Zion. He’s been the one I’ve wanted for a few years. Is this his best team? You can’t say that now but at the end of the year who knows? It’s possible though

Just read this article over on The Ringer and Hart you beat me to posting it! The easy answer is obviously no this won't be K's best team ever, that's some stiff competition. But....I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that something magical happens this year. I'm not saying 40-0 or anything, but I'm saying complete domination and embaressing other good teams on a night to night basis. We could be beating good teams on the road by double digits and beating anyone in Cameron by 30...it's in play.

Still way too early to predict anything, but did anyone honestly expect Zion to be this good/dominant/polished?? I sure didn't. So thats a start.

I also feel like the basketball gods will look after us this year, just a hunch....we surely deserve it after the 16-17 injury season and Grayson's roll off the rim last year.

I sure hope that comes to fruition. But as with recent years, with all these freshmen I am preparing myself for a roller coaster!

Everyone who has posted makes quality points! I got jacked reading the article, but I still have to go w/'91-'92 squads. However I do think this group does have more potential to do special things (like bring home #6) because the chemistry appears to be there more so than the stacked squads of last 2 years, and we have a TRUE point guard! Also I think the leadership we get from some of folks like Javin and Jack will surprise folks!

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
I think the key to this team is how well the depth develops. Injuries, foul trouble etc.....how do the guys playing 6-9 - Bolden, White, Vrank and Goldwire do at times when they are called on in high leverage situations...if they play well and continues to develop we will be in great shape. I’ll reserve the right answer the OP question at the end of the year :)

Reactions: hart2chesson
Some interesting thoughts per the way K is molding this team for the prize, and the incredible talent at hand:

https://www.theringer.com/college-b...8/duke-zion-williamson-rj-barrett-cam-reddish

OFC

I would parse this statement a little bit. This could be K's greatest team ever, RELATIVE TO THE REST OF THE NATION. I think that there are other K teams from the a past, just at Duke, that would routinely beat this Duke team. But the changing nature of the college game means that this team could well be K's best team, relative to who they have to play.

One way I look at it is what would I expect if that team and this team played each other...
What would it look like?

I think the 91-92 team puts defense on this team that they won't see this year. I don't see anybody on this team being able to do anything with Laettner or Grant, and Bobby, well. We all know what kind of point guard he was. Now with all that said, I LOVE this team so far from what I've seen, and I do believe we have a legitimate shot at #6

I don't know how good this team can be, but they do seem to get along very well together (team chemistry), and they share the ball well...2 very good attributes to have.
As DJ said above, 'enjoy the ride'. It's more about the journey to me, because the destination is the end...whether good or bad...much like life.
Now that said, git r done, and bring home #6!

OFC

I would parse this statement a little bit. This could be K's greatest team ever, RELATIVE TO THE REST OF THE NATION. I think that there are other K teams from the a past, just at Duke, that would routinely beat this Duke team. But the changing nature of the college game means that this team could well be K's best team, relative to who they have to play.
I get what you're saying, but it's really not fair to compare one era to another.
All this team can do is put their name in a hat by winning it all.

This team SHOULD be the best team of the one and done era..if they were to stay together for several seasons,they then could be the best of all time. Their NBA careers should surpass all of the 92 teams' except Grant Hill,and I expect both R.J. and Zion to have hall of fame careers

91-92 as has been stated and also the 99 team. Now if this team only has one or two losses and wins a championship, I'd move them ahead of 99

Bobby Hurley would use Tre like a dirty dish towel. Laettner wold have RJ and Zion talking to themselves. Grant would slice that D like an apple. And the 92' defense would stifle the current kids oxygen.

Reactions: HonkeyT and Dukeman
I have little memory of the 1992 team but have read countless articles and watched just about every big game they played on YouTube. What if I said that I think the 1999 team may be better than the 1992 team and that a 1 game sample loss in the national championship is a stupid measuring stick that knocks the 1999 team down??? I think the 1999 team wins a 7 game series, 4-3....too much talent. Didn't it take the 1992 team to make the greatest shot in basketball history to get past the Elite 8?

The 1999 team had a larger average margin of victory throughout the year than the 1992 team, 1999 set and still holds the ACC record for that.
Maybe the best way to put it is....1999 was the most talented team ever, but 1992 was the best team ever.
And maybe 2001 beats all of them if they get hot from 3, 2001 was the best 3 pt shooting college team I have ever seen.

What separates the 92 from everyone else is simply the mentality. They were all tough as nails, not that the guys on the other Duke teams weren't, but they also played for K when he was much more demanding than he seems to be now. That group welcomed it. There was a game in the tournament against Iowa, I think, where K left the sideline cause he was so pissed at them.
The pressure on that team was off the charts. They were like a freaking rock band on tour. Men were cursing Laettner, women were throwing their panties at him. He was one bad man. His sidekicks, Hurley, Hill, Hill, and Davis were special in their own way. They all wanted to win, and didn't care who scored.

On that Kentucky game, if they played them 3 more times, Duke probably beats them by double digits each game. But, for one night, Kentucky played as great as they could. Everyone only talks about the shot, but their guard threw up kind of a hail mary over Laettner that banked in from straight away to give them the lead.

I still get chills thinking about that game.

Last edited:
I think they key word IS Toughness. In fact, you just aren't allowed to be that tough in todays times, we've sissyfied it all down to much, coaches have to many limitations due to crybabies complaining about ramifications.

What separates the 92 from everyone else is simply the mentality. They were all tough as nails, not that the guys on the other Duke teams weren't, but they also played for K when he was much more demanding than he seems to be now. That group welcomed it. There was a game in the tournament against Iowa, I think, where K left the sideline cause he was so pissed at them.
The pressure on that team was off the charts. They were like a freaking rock band on tour. Men were cursing Laettner, women were throwing their panties at him. He was one bad man. His sidekicks, Hurley, Hill, Hill, and Davis were special in their own way. They all wanted to win, and didn't care who scored.

On that Kentucky game, if they played them 3 more times, Duke probably beats them by double digits each game. But, for one night, Kentucky played as great as they could. Everyone only talks about the shot, but their guard threw up kind of a hail mary over Laettner that banked in from straight away to give them the lead.

I still get chills thinking about that game.

I'll never forget that little running jump hook or whatever it was that Woods threw up to take the lead. When he shot it, I got a little excited because I thought no way that goes in......but it did. If Laettner hadn't hit his shot, that one by woods would probably be labeled as the shot......it wasn't as dramatic and didn't have the anticipation of Laettner's though

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT