ADVERTISEMENT

Make no mistake: Duke is going to be ridiculously good.

Here are the player efficiency ratings of all our freshmen that were 5-star recruits this decade:

Zion Williamson, 40.8
Kyrie Irving, 32.5
Jahlil Okafor, 30.7
Marvin Bagley, 30.6
Jabari Parker, 28.4
Wendell Carter, 28.2
RJ Barrett, 23.3
Brandon Ingram, 22.5
Justise Winslow, 22.3
Jayson Tatum, 22.0
Tyus Jones, 20.4
Harry Giles, 19.8
Luke Kennard, 19.5
Grayson Allen, 19.3
Frank Jackson, 17.0
Austin Rivers, 16.9
Gary Trent, 16.7
Rasheed Sulaimon, 16.2
Tre Jones, 15.4
Mason Plumlee, 14.8
Trevon Duval, 13.7
Cam Reddish, 13.6
Ryan Kelly, 10.4
Chase Jeter, 9.7
Derryck Thornton, 9.4
Marques Bolden, 7.2

Man, Duke has had some good players in the last 10 years!

There is no Zion on this team BUT I think all the freshmen are better than Barrett...

Can't wait to see the 2020 Consensus All-America Team:
PG: ?
SG: Cassius Stanley, Duke
SF: Wendell Moore, Duke
PF: Matthew Hurt, Duke
C: Vernon Carey, Jr., Duke

Last year, I predicted 35-5 with a banner, barring no injuries. Well, we obviously had Shoegate and came up short, going 32-6. I was closer than most of the "pessimists", however. But that's over. New year, new team.

This team is going to be extremely good. There is no Zion, that is true. However, the pieces fit really well, and I think we'll be better overall.

Wendell Moore is an absolute stud. He will be in the Winslow conversation (from a BPM standpoint) and a potential lottery pick. He is extremely smart, efficient from 2, solid from 3 after improving his mechanics, and will be a plus defender. He shot 58% from 2 in AAU, which is nearly 10% points higher than both Cam and RJ. I have seen Wendell in the top 10 on several mock drafts. It's not consensus, but it's out there.

Matthew Hurt is another great player. He will be on the borderline of the lottery. Another Twitter user said if his name were Hurtzokov, he'd be a top 5 pick, and that may be true. Hurt is a good defender, has great finishing ability, and is supremely skilled. He and Carey will form the best 1-2 frontcourt pair in the nation. He can flat out shoot it.

Tre Jones- we know how great he is. I think his 3 point shooting has improved, and K has lauded his layup making abilities. He will be a mid-1st rounder, IMO. A great leader, very smart, will be more efficient on 2s and 3s.

Vernon Carey Jr- another great player. He is the most "ready" of all the young college bigs to dominate in college from day 1. He is enormous and skilled. He is also very versatile. Can hit midrange and 3s. Not as nimble as Zion, but he's nimble. He needs to focus on defense and bringing intensity every night, and he will be a 1st round pick.

That's 4 1st round picks, more than anyone else in the country, led by Tre Jones.

The 2 guard position is a question mark. We all know the deal with Alex. Can he defend well enough to stay on the floor? He's an A+ shooter with lots of potential. Cassius Stanley is a supreme athlete. He should be a good defender in time. Can he hit 3s and be a good finisher? If he does, I can see him taking the spot and going early 2nd/late 1st. Think Hamidou Diallo.

Jack White- I watched him at the world university games this year. Just a smart player. Excellent defense/positioning/etc. If he can get back to hitting 3s, he's the perfect role player.

Javin DeLaurier- has earned a lot of praise from Coach K. The advanced stats love his defense. If he can avoid the fouls and continue finishing around the rim with great efficiency, this is another championship piece for the Devils.

Goldwire and Baker in blowouts.

No other team in the country has as much talent. Is it Zion-level talent? No, it is not. But it is more OVERALL talent.

As we know, talent does not always mesh, it doesn't always fit, it doesn't always work out as expected.

But I would favor nobody this year over Duke.

3 regular season losses. I don't predict NCAA tourny anymore, but I would say Duke has a "better chance" than anyone else.

Let's Go.

In my opinion, Isiah Stewart is the best college ready Center coming in this year and one could argue Stewart and McDaniels at Washington are the most talented front court in college. You’ve also got Wiseman and Precious at Memphis.

I’m not as sold on Carey as some. Hope I’m wrong but I don’t see him being all ACC at his position.

Thanks for the glimpse. Pretty impressive that no one missed a shot.

It's hard to see much when the video is so cut up (I'm sure on purpose) but Carey looks in great shape, and AOC looks bigger as does Tre.

Who is the first kid to get bashed gonna be? That's the question
I hate to see people bash our players. We win and we lose as a team. To single one kid out and run him down the country is pathetic, but unfortunately we live in a society where that is ok in a lot of peoples eyes. It wont take long for it to start. Usually the first loss and carries over to the second loss. By then its full out verbal assault.

I hate to see people bash our players. We win and we lose as a team. To single one kid out and run him down the country is pathetic, but unfortunately we live in a society where that is ok in a lot of peoples eyes. It wont take long for it to start. Usually the first loss and carries over to the second loss. By then its full out verbal assault.

Great post and I hope all Duke fans read it. OFC

Reactions: germantondevil
And after the first loss, the message board coaches will be out in full force ready to replace K.

I'm thinking about being one of those this season. :D OFC
I've been practicing at the local gym here. I think I have the mean-mugging down already. Time to work on the language before I put my name in the hat as the next board successor to replace the GOAT. I'm coming hard this season lol.

Reactions: QC Dukie
I've been practicing at the local gym here. I think I have the mean-mugging down already. Time to work on the language before I put my name in the hat as the next board successor to replace the GOAT. I'm coming hard this season lol.
Soldier make sure you teach em the ole pick n roll and dribble drive. I hear no defense can stop those.

Soldier make sure you teach em the ole pick n roll and dribble drive. I hear no defense can stop those.

Three things I would impliment right away.
1. I would have a 4 man full court press with a saftey underneath the opponents basket to prevent breakaway dunks and layups.
2. I would fast break the game. As soon as we got the defensive rebound send out the two fastest players and get them the outlet pass for breakaway dunks and layups. This would end my disdain for running down the shot clock and getting off either bad shots or no
shots.
3. I would make the team take fouls shots in practice until they made 15 in a row. No supper until they are made. Hunger can be a great motivator.

What I want to known as is " The Great Innovator. " I want to change the game forever. OFC

Three things I would impliment right away.
1. I would have a 4 man full court press with a saftey underneath the opponents basket to prevent breakaway dunks and layups.
2. I would fast break the game. As soon as we got the defensive rebound send out the two fastest players and get them the outlet pass for breakaway dunks and layups. This would end my disdain for running down the shot clock and getting off either bad shots or no
shots.
3. I would make the team take fouls shots in practice until they made 15 in a row. No supper until they are made. Hunger can be a great motivator.

What I want to known as is " The Great Innovator. " I want to change the game forever. OFC
Next Duke Coach?!:D

Reactions: skysdad
Has anyone ever thought about creating a separate thread to discuss the next Duke coach? Just wondering.

Seems like every other college board talks about this except us! I know we are different, but this makes no sense not having a next coach topic for discussion. I'm actually disappointed nobody has decided this was a worthy topic here:)

Seems like every other college board talks about this except us! I know we are different, but this makes no sense not having a next coach topic for discussion. I'm actually disappointed nobody has decided this was a worthy topic here:)
There was just a thread created on it not even a month ago.

I think the biggest question going into the season this year is what kind of hairdo will the Slim Reaper sport?

Reactions: skysdad
Goldwire and Baker in blowouts.

Addressing this one statement from OP's post...

I've said this once before on this board, but I'll say it again. Let's not write off Joey Baker. Before he reclassified, he was ranked #15 in the class of 2019. By comparison, Wendell Moore was ranked #23 and Cassius Stanley was ranked #39.

Don't hold last year against him. He came in knowing he wasn't going to get minutes but he (smartly) figured spending a full year practicing against a top-5 duke team and learning Duke's system was better than playing another year against high school competition.

I'm hopeful he finds a role and by the end of this year has this entire board talking about what a "surprise" he is.

As it has been stated before, this team will go as far as Tre Jones takes them. He is a leader on both ends of the court that can find open guys and play lock down defense. If he can consistently find his own shot knocks down open 3s, i think that will just open up this offense .

This team has the personal to play inside out. I think this will be Dukes best spot up shooting team in a while. If we play through the post with Carey and have guys shot ready to knock down open spot up 3s then I think this team will go far.

The offense wont be as stagnant in the half court as it was last year where everyone stood still and watched RJ Zion and sometimes Cam play. Looking to see more post feeds and off ball cuts this year.

As always go Duke. Preseason prediction 32 and 6 another elite 8 close game L.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT