ADVERTISEMENT

Who gets the Gameball?

Who gets the gameball?

• "Mah-Vah-Lahs" Marvin Bagley, III. : 30 pts - 15 reb - 2 ast - 1 blk - (9-10 FT)

Votes: 50 94.3%
  • Grayson "Passin" Allen: 14 pts - 4 reb - 7 ast - 2 stl - (4 to)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trevon Duval: 11 pts - 1 reb - 2 stl - (2 to)

• Gary Trent, Jr.: 15 pts - 2 reb - 2 ast - 1 stl - 2 blk

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Wendell Carter, Jr. 6 pts - 7 reb - 1 ast - 1 blk

• Javin Delaurier: 6 pts- 5 reb - 2 stl

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
I am probably going to be the lone outlier. I think Javin gets the game ball. When Carter was in trouble he came in and provided the boost of energy. He is turning into the perfect 6th man. Had Bolden scored more, I would have put him into the mix.

For me, this team is like the Justice League. Bagley is Superman and the rest of the team is everyone else. Hard to get the team ball when Superman is on your team.

Reactions: dbav and BluePhil
It has to be Bagley. Without him, this weekend would have been very bad for us.

I had to go with Mahvin. I love how the chodes on RR are still tore up he chose Duke over them lol.

Every single one of our guys made crucial plays down the stretch but there is only one MB35. This one is a no brainer.

Everyone made big plays, but Bags kept us in it. He is one in a million...no, more like 1 in 20 million.

JEumH1v.jpg

OFC

Bagley once again, no question about it. And, 9-10 from the FT line!! Wow, what a show this fine, well spoken young man put on this week-end.
Go Duke!
OFC

Reactions: Dukeprodigy22
Marvin is just.. wow and to think I was worried getting him would mess up stuff geez DUMB. He's beyond special

It wasn’t just you. A lot of people made that statement. No need to begrudge the point, it’s always hard to take someone so late and insert them into something that had grown some legs. But as the world is getting to witness what Southern California has seen for a few years, this kid is ridiculous.

Scoring in the final ten minutes:
Tre- 7 (only had 4 until that point)
Wendell- 6 (his only 6 of the game)
Bags- 10 (20 was already impressive; this was even more so)
Grayson- 3
Gary- 4 (last 4 of the game, 4-4 from the line)

Last edited:
Reactions: dukehokie
I am probably going to be the lone outlier. I think Javin gets the game ball. When Carter was in trouble he came in and provided the boost of energy. He is turning into the perfect 6th man. Had Bolden scored more, I would have put him into the mix.

For me, this team is like the Justice League. Bagley is Superman and the rest of the team is everyone else. Hard to get the team ball when Superman is on your team.

I get your premise and appreciate what Javin did last night. He's provided us with quality minutes and is a significant improvement over the Javin of last season.

Now, that said, picking Javin in this game goes beyond being a 'little' cute. It's like when folks here were saying someone other than Grayson after the MSU game, or why K never wins the ACC COY anymore. Just because the standard has been set so high and Marvin could technically win it just about every game, doesn't mean he's not deserving.

And again, don't take any offense to that, I'm just drawing the parallel. Javin was vital for sure, as were six other guys, but we don't come close to winning without Marvin....and that goes without saying.

I get your premise and appreciate what Javin did last night. He's provided us with quality minutes and is a significant improvement over the Javin of last season.

Now, that said, picking Javin in this game goes beyond being a 'little' cute. It's like when folks here were saying someone other than Grayson after the MSU game, or why K never wins the ACC COY anymore. Just because the standard has been set so high and Marvin could technically win it just about every game, doesn't mean he's not deserving.

And again, don't take any offense to that, I'm just drawing the parallel. Javin was vital for sure, as were six other guys, but we don't come close to winning without Marvin....and that goes without saying.
Yeah, there are lots of circumstances where someone other than the leading scorer is player of the game, but by all reasonable measures, it's not going to be a guy on the low end of a 24-point differential.

If the game ball is given to who had the most impact on the game, Marvin is going to win a ton of these. He just is. We have an extremely special player in him that we haven't seen for a while, and likely won't see again for a very long time. And don't forget, he could still be in high school!!!

I get it DJ. I'm not trying to be cute. Winning by 3 points -- everyone matters. This board will be hard pressed to give the game ball to anyone other than Bagley for the duration of the season. Think of the game ball as someone who went beyond their capacity. If we measure Game Ball by stats -- then Bagley will probably be the guy 9/10 or 99/100. Do you really think he doesn't know that? So what helps the team?

Here, Bagley winning it....again. With 3X points and 1X rebound and X blocks...OR here's another guy that can't outshine MBIII. Who do you need to pump up more? Bagley or the other guys?

I'm sticking with Javin. He did great. Pulled up clutch when needed. If there was a foul close to him, he raised his hand -- "It was ME!". He knew he wasn't the best out there and he was still giving it his all and wanted to make sure his better team mates were still in the game. That's Game Ball material.

Reactions: Mac9192
I get it DJ. I'm not trying to be cute. Winning by 3 points -- everyone matters. This board will be hard pressed to give the game ball to anyone other than Bagley for the duration of the season. Think of the game ball as someone who went beyond their capacity. If we measure Game Ball by stats -- then Bagley will probably be the guy 9/10 or 99/100. Do you really think he doesn't know that? So what helps the team?

Here, Bagley winning it....again. With 3X points and 1X rebound and X blocks...OR here's another guy that can't outshine MBIII. Who do you need to pump up more? Bagley or the other guys?

I'm sticking with Javin. He did great. Pulled up clutch when needed. If there was a foul close to him, he raised his hand -- "It was ME!". He knew he wasn't the best out there and he was still giving it his all and wanted to make sure his better team mates were still in the game. That's Game Ball material.
Great post Lt. I sure am glad the staff found him. We need more guys like him in the program. He is a warrior and a great team player, and him taking the fouls for the "better players" I'm sure aren't forgotten by the staff.

They sure don’t need pumping up from us, and whatever props they get from the coaches better be sincere or it’s going to be more insulting than providing any boost for them. It’s important to recognize other contributions, but the box score can tell a pretty clear and compelling story. No predetermined agenda to spread the wealth just for the sake of it is likely to hold its own against even the limits of the box score.

They sure don’t need pumping up from us, and whatever props they get from the coaches better be sincere or it’s going to be more insulting than providing any boost for them. It’s important to recognize other contributions, but the box score can tell a pretty clear and compelling story. No predetermined agenda to spread the wealth just for the sake of it is likely to hold its own against even the limits of the box score.
Hey Dat -- I love box scores and there are few on this board that read them more than me.

Trust me. I mean _trust_ me -- I am not of the "everyone gets a trophy" generation. If everyone here wants to give the Game Ball to Bagley, that's fine. He's Superman -- and I am only being half factious. He can fly. He is fast. He is smart. He can shot lasers out of his eyes. Javin, Marques, and the rest will not be #1 or #2 pick in the draft -- AND they shouldn't be. MBIII is an amazing player. Period.

Pumping up from us? Please. Really? Not your style. That said, I don't think Duke needs a televised announcer (Jay Bilas) to announce to the viewing audience -- "Yeah, Carter is no Bagley" during the game. Just not the thing to say...Hey Jay -- take Carter on 1:1...heck you and your son can go 2:1. Just a _stupid_ thing to say.

Who do we need more? Bagley to crush yet another box score? -- which he will. Or someone else to step up beyond their capacity?

Bottomline -- Bagley is going to earn a $XX,XXX,XXX contract as a rookie next year. AND I REALLY LIKE the guy. Who benefits from an atta boy more? Marvin or Javin? I'm not in a position to hand out any NBA contracts, but I have a couple of atta-boys (sincere ones) in my back pocket.

Forgive me in advance, I will probably be the outlier on these polls for the rest of the year.

Forgive me in advance, I will probably be the outlier on these polls for the rest of the year.
You should build up some callouses against being looked at sideways.

Sounds like you're describing an "x-factor" or indispensable supporting role. I think that's different from best performance. There's plenty of room for recognizing both.

You should build up some callouses against being looked at sideways.

Sounds like you're describing an "x-factor" or indispensable supporting role. I think that's different from best performance. There's plenty of room for recognizing both.

I hear you Dat. Not the x-factor, but what is expected. It is the difference between ranking and average. It you are consistently ranked 9.5 or higher, then that is a high average. Move it to a 10 and you still haven't moved the mark that much. Take a kid that averages 7.0 and all of a sudden he has a 9.2 game. Is it 9.5? No. It is more than he usually contributes? Oh yeah.

Now what is worth acknowledging? A guy who averages 9.5 and has a 10 game? Or a guy that is 7.0 and has a 9.2 game? I kind of want the guy that is averaging 7.0 to do better in the future, the 9.5 guy already has a pretty high ceiling and he is close to the top.

This is just my perspective as a parent, coach, and scout master. The kids that are good already know it. It is when a kid does something beyond their known capacity that needs to be called out and re-enforced. Just IMHO.

I hear you Dat. Not the x-factor, but what is expected. It is the difference between ranking and average. It you are consistently ranked 9.5 or higher, then that is a high average. Move it to a 10 and you still haven't moved the mark that much. Take a kid that averages 7.0 and all of a sudden he has a 9.2 game. Is it 9.5? No. It is more than he usually contributes? Oh yeah.

Now what is worth acknowledging? A guy who averages 9.5 and has a 10 game? Or a guy that is 7.0 and has a 9.2 game? I kind of want the guy that is averaging 7.0 to do better in the future, the 9.5 guy already has a pretty high ceiling and he is close to the top.

This is just my perspective as a parent, coach, and scout master. The kids that are good already know it. It is when a kid does something beyond their known capacity that needs to be called out and re-enforced. Just IMHO.
It's also harder to show growth when you're already near the top. I understand your point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT