ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you think are the 3 worst basketball announcers?

Apr 5, 2016
#1 Bill Walton. To me there is no close contender for second place. The tangent on bridges during the MSU Duke game was enough to keep him in place.
#2 jay Bilas. Loved him as a player, seems such an arrogant know it all as an announcer.
#3 Clark Kellog Can’t really explain why but I just don’t enjoy hearing him at all.

Reactions: PixelDevil
#1 Bill Walton. To me there is no close contender for second place. The tangent on bridges during the MSU Duke game was enough to keep him in place.
#2 jay Bilas. Loved him as a player, seems such an arrogant know it all as an announcer.
#3 Clark Kellog Can’t really explain why but I just don’t enjoy hearing him at all.

You listed the worst 3 for sure in no particular order. All are tied in my book

Agreed....

OFC

My preferred duo is Dan Shulman and Sean McDonough, mainly because they just say what is happening and don’t try and incorporate every take imaginable.

I can't pick just 3. I have to pick 4. Jay Bilas, Jay Williams, Grant Hill, and Bob Harris. The first 3 all played at Duke, and they never chant, "Let's go Duke! Let's go Duke!" on the air. They don't have mean nicknames for UNC, either! And Bob Harris is usually good, but I haven't heard him say anything good about Duke this year. He got bought by the UNCspn! Duh!

Reactions: dukiejay
Len Elmore...number one by a long shot....don't really like Clarke Kellog either...and Bilas just rubs me the wrong way...I really like Kevin Harlan and miss Gus Johnson on C.B.S. where you had him for a full bracket

Bill Walton
Len Elmore
Dan Dakich
These 3 are horrible.
I'm sorry guys but Bilas is the best in the business. I may not like what he says sometimes, but he's the sharpest mind on tv. I absolutely love hearing Barkley in March. Wish he did some announcing. He knows his basketball

Bill Walton
Len Elmore
Dan Dakich
These 3 are horrible.
I'm sorry guys but Bilas is the best in the business. I may not like what he says sometimes, but he's the sharpest mind on tv. I absolutely love hearing Barkley in March. Wish he did some announcing. He knows his basketball

Agree 100% on Bilas.

Elmore, Billy Packer (not sure if they have to be active), Grant Hill.

Love Hill, think he has great potential, but Nantz treats him like he's a guest ("Oh nice dunk, a little like you back in your days at Duke"). I think this holds him back.

Barkley is really good. He puts an emphasis on entertainment, too. I like that. Plus, he rides Kenny Smith pretty hard....which always gets one bonus points.

Barkley is just straight up hilarious. He also doesn’t pull punches which I like.

Dickie V (For how many years must we listen to the same shtick?)
Walton (He gets high right before going on air)
Elmore

Vitale isn't one of my favorites and I know his schtick gets really old, but I just can't put him on my 'worst three' list. His passion, presence and promotion of the college game, I feel, goes a long way for the sport. He was never great as an announcer, and I can see how some have grown tired of him, but I still think he's a breath of fresh air as it pertains to the college game.

As a kid I loved Vitale then I hated him now I like him again and will miss him a lot when he's done. He's fun! And for Raff I hated him too but really like him now. Weird how age can change taste for even something like announcers

Reactions: Mac9192
I am going with
Len Elmore
Cory Alexander
Jay Williams

I am so sorry to mention Williams because I loved him as a player but whenever he does do a game live (thank goodness usually on McD's All-American) he rambles about everything but what is going on in the game. Half the time I have no idea who is in the game and who just did what. He and Alexander both like to talk about when they played and Alexander loves to talk about who all he coached in AAU. I want to know what they can tell about the game they are broadcasting.

I'm going to exclude the obvious picks of Walton, Bilas, Vitale, Dakich.

Worst:
1. Shane Battier (So bad he didn't get his contract renewed after 1 year. Too many awkward moments with Shane. Still love the guy).
2. Jim Calhoun
3. Doris Burke
HM: Jimmy Jackson

Can't say I've been impressed with some of the new faces like John Thompson III and Robbie Hummel...

Favorites:
1. Sean Farnham
2. Jimmy Dykes
3. Brad Daugherty (Is he still announcing? I love how he always roots for players who hustle and show passion)

HM: Bill Raftery, Reggie Miller, Jim Spanarkel, Tom Crean, Miles Simon, LaPhonso Ellis

I'm going to exclude the obvious picks of Walton, Bilas, Vitale, Dakich.

Worst:
1. Shane Battier (So bad he didn't get his contract renewed after 1 year. Too many awkward moments with Shane. Still love the guy).
2. Jim Calhoun
3. Doris Burke
HM: Jimmy Jackson

Can't say I've been impressed with some of the new faces like John Thompson III and Robbie Hummel...

Favorites:
1. Sean Farnham
2. Jimmy Dykes
3. Brad Daugherty (Is he still announcing? I love how he always roots for players who hustle and show passion)

HM: Bill Raftery, Reggie Miller, Jim Spanarkel, Tom Crean, Miles Simon, LaPhonso Ellis

Shane definitely needed a little more seasoning. He had his moments, but I'd agree with your assessment. He comes across more as a studio guy to me than an announcer. I do think Doris Burke does a nice job, though.

Agree on Farnham. He's very underrated. Also enjoy Miles Simon, too. Not a fan of Jimmy Dykes.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Dislike: Karl Ravech, Reggie Miller, Doris Burke

Like: Dakich, Bilas, Raf, Shulman, Verne

Hard to say in announcing. Studio included? Just college?

My three worst are:
1. Jeff Van Gundy - too opinionated and lacks objectivity. And arrogant.
2. Jalen Rose - 'nough said.
3. Chris Webber.

Honorable mention: JWill & Seth Greenberg. But, I'm glad JWill has a job and a career after the tragic motorcycle accident. So, I give him a bit of a pass.

I actually don't dislike Bill Walton. He's goofy; a hippie, but he loves the game. Genuinely. So, I don't mind him. Don't want him doing FF games, but I like him on those late WC games.

I love Raftery. Probably my all-time favorite because of his roots. He brings that old school city-ball into the game.

I think Elmore is not bad when he's not as biased. And, he has actually tempered his anti-Duke-tivity in the past few years. In non-Duke games I think he does pretty well.

I also like Clark Kellogg okay. He loves the game as well.

Bilas is a mixed bag to me. He's smart. Knows his stuff. But, he is often arrogant, which I don't like; and I think he can at times be as anti-Duke as Elmore.

Worst: Dickie V has run his course
Doris Burke
Len Elmore.

Best: Bill Raftery for a big game.
Gus Johnson (vs Raftery for who gets more excited over a big play.)
Schulman

Wildcard: Bill Walton late at night tangents. Would not want him calling a big Duke game but in meaningless games, he is hilarious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT