ADVERTISEMENT

Which Duke players currently or retired in the NBA are you most pleased with how their careers have

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Let me explain a little better. There are certain players who I believe we all felt would have great careers. Irving and Grant come to mind but we've had if not only solid but mighty good careers. My pick is J.J. and yes I know he was a 1st rounder but I strongly remember the critics mostly from that through group that felt his career would be brief. He has worked hard on the things he was weak in and although a journeyman he has become a starter for most of the teams he's played for and shows no signs of going down hill. In fact he seems to be getting better.

This is probably an odd response, but Christine Laettner. I'm certainly not glad that his achilles injury derailed his career from outstanding to journeyman...but that's sorta the point. Mostly everyone (and by that I mean Heel fans) seem to think that Laettner was a mediocre player in the NBA, and that wasn't the case by a long shot. And when I point out his many seasons of sterling play (prior to injury), including an All Star nod, most are very surprised, and that pleases me. And just when they thought they couldn't hate him more...;)

OFC.

Reactions: skysdad
I am going way back but I have to say Jack Marin. Other than Jeff Mullins, other Duke greats from Duke during that era had just so-so careers. (Art Heyman, Bob Verga, Mike Lewis)

Also, Marin's playing in Houston helped get Tate Armstrong's going to Duke.

Miles Plumlee. Was stunned when he got drafted in the 1st round by Indiana, it came out of nowhere.
On top of that, he signed a 4 year 50 million dollar deal (thanks to dumb Michael Jordan). I love Miles, but it is considered one of the worst contracts in the NBA.

Player: JJ or Quinn.

After playing career: Reggie Love

I spent about an hour and a half in traffic court with Reggie a few years ago in the Orange County courthouse. Talked a little with before court was in session. Really neat Reggie Love and me facing the same judge as common law breakers. OFC

J.J. Redick. I was pretty certain he would be a good pro and play in the League for a long time. I didn't think he'd be as good as he's been. Considering all of the abuse he took while at Duke and his first few years as a pro, it's pretty damn cool to see him averaging 18/game as a 35-year-old veteran....especially when you realize Sean May and Rashad McCants were done before their careers even got started.

J.J. Redick. I was pretty certain he would be a good pro and play in the League for a long time. I didn't think he'd be as good as he's been. Considering all of the abuse he took while at Duke and his first few years as a pro, it's pretty damn cool to see him averaging 18/game as a 35-year-old veteran....especially when you realize Sean May and Rashad McCants were done before their careers even got started.

Ditto, people have done 180 on JJ and respect him now.

JJ all the way. I don't watch much NBA either, but it's STILL fun to watch him curl off a screen and lift up for a long three! Hard work and sheer determination got him where he is today.

Shout out to Sean Dockery:

"Since Dockery's last season playing professional basketball overseas he returned to his hometown of Chicago, IL where he has established himself as a Personal Trainer/ Basketball Skills & Development Instructor founding "Dockery University". In 2016, Dockery returned to the hardwood to compete in "TBT" aka The Basketball Tournament with the Midwest Dream Squad. In 19 minutes of play Dockery scored 10 points and added 1 steal in 19 minutes of play. As of the 2016-2017 NBA season Dockery can now be seen behind the bench of the San Antonio Spurs as he has been hired on as an Advance Scout for the 5 time NBA Champions."

Keep grinding my man. We'll never forget this knife to Hokie Nation.

Shout out to Sean Dockery:

"Since Dockery's last season playing professional basketball overseas he returned to his hometown of Chicago, IL where he has established himself as a Personal Trainer/ Basketball Skills & Development Instructor founding "Dockery University". In 2016, Dockery returned to the hardwood to compete in "TBT" aka The Basketball Tournament with the Midwest Dream Squad. In 19 minutes of play Dockery scored 10 points and added 1 steal in 19 minutes of play. As of the 2016-2017 NBA season Dockery can now be seen behind the bench of the San Antonio Spurs as he has been hired on as an Advance Scout for the 5 time NBA Champions."

Keep grinding my man. We'll never forget this knife to Hokie Nation.

Good lord that was a great moment. There are a few shots where I remember exactly where I was and how I reacted. For this one I was in my apartment watching the game in my bedroom. My GF at the time was in the family room. With the exception of my wife (she’s a Duke fan), I always had a long standing rule that my GF had to leave me alone for Duke games. Too many questions or talking during the game. I don’t have the patience during Duke games. Dockery hit that shot and I started jumping on my bed screaming like I was 5YO again. My GF at the time came running in bc she thought there was an emergency bc all she heard was screaming.

Good lord that was a great moment. There are a few shots where I remember exactly where I was and how I reacted. For this one I was in my apartment watching the game in my bedroom. My GF at the time was in the family room. With the exception of my wife (she’s a Duke fan), I always had a long standing rule that my GF had to leave me alone for Duke games. Too many questions or talking during the game. I don’t have the patience during Duke games. Dockery hit that shot and I started jumping on my bed screaming like I was 5YO again. My GF at the time came running in bc she thought there was an emergency bc all she heard was screaming.
I was in the car driving, and my dad was watching it live on the other end of the phone line trying to explain what happened... I thought he was being attacked by a dog.

Shane Battier- has an nba ring to go along with his National Championship ring as well as Quinn Cook. With hard work Quinn Cook will blossom into a great NBA player

Kyrie Irving is one of the best PG in the NBA

I think Jayson Tatum will have an excellent career. He will be an all star at some point in his career.

Ok reinventing his defensive game and making a good solid career is definitely up there. I am also thrilled watching Quinn Cook work his butt off just to get a few minutes here and there. When he is out on the court he gives it his all every second. Something you have to admire about him.

Ok reinventing his defensive game and making a good solid career is definitely up there. I am also thrilled watching Quinn Cook work his butt off just to get a few minutes here and there. When he is out on the court he gives it his all every second. Something you have to admire about him.

He stuck it out with Duke 4 years and was a vital part of a championship team As a senior he took a lesser role but became a major role in the way he mentored younger players. He is now more than an adequate back up point guard to Curry. He was doubted many times by members of this board some of who wished he would transfer. I can remember post on game day threads posters saying while he was in the game "don't shoot Quinn." and about that time he would bury a 3. Expect him back someday on the Duke bench whenot his NBA career is over. How's that jacket4. OFC

Quinn’s efficiency is really high in the minutes he’s gotten. I’m sure those numbers would be lower if he was starting games, but it still proves his ceiling is high enough to be a role player on a winning team. Quinn has leveraged every ounce of his talent to be in this position. Great story.

Reactions: DukefanKY
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT