ADVERTISEMENT

What really happened to the offense?

dachampishere2

Cameron Crazy
Feb 15, 2017
Every since we switched to zone all of a sudden we struggle to score like we used to. Did we switch the offensive philosophy or something? I just can't put my finger on this one. Anybody have a good explanation?

Usually zone inhibits the offense. Mostly because it slows down the game and limits offensive possessions. It’s also prohibitive for offensive pace. That said, I believe you guys are now ranked in Top 10 D and O which is usually a good barometer for NCAA tourney success.

According to KenPom we are currently 3rd in O and 7th in D. We score fewer points because we play slower, but our offensive efficiency overall has only dipped slightly. The PPG is due to the pace slowing down thanks to the zone. The bigger issue is our streaky 3-point shooting. When we're making threes, we are nearly unstoppable on O, and when we're missing opposing teams just pack the lane against the bigs. Our shooters will have stretches where they go 7/9 from three and then we miss 10 in a row. If we lose, I think it will be a game where we go something like 4/23 from 3.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT