ADVERTISEMENT

Welp..

I’m making the assumption that our top guys got money through a third party at this point. It is wrong to break the rules, but the rules in this instance are nonsensical. It’s time to open up the money to these athletes. If we have to pay the price this year, or if I’m totally wrong, so be it. Ideally we covered our tracks and the rules change moving forward. Well, ideally no payments were made.

I’m making the assumption that our top guys got money through a third party at this point. It is wrong to break the rules, but the rules in this instance are nonsensical. It’s time to open up the money to these athletes. If we have to pay the price this year, or if I’m totally wrong, so be it. Ideally we covered our tracks and the rules change moving forward. Well, ideally no payments were made.

I wonder how many of us Duke fans will admit what you just said. The ''moneybag' is real. Some get caught, others don't.

I’m not nearly naive enough to think that this stuff isn’t happening everywhere. I sincerely hope that our staff is not involved and that we are not in anyway connected to paying players for their commitment. Whether it is right or wrong and whether the players deserve compensation I love our program and I don’t want it destroyed. And to be perfectly blunt even if these top players are getting theirs behind closed doors I don’t think we are nearly dumb enough to be caught on a wiretap or anything of the kind with a direct link from agent with money to Duke.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Jeff Goodman on SC today was saying the Carter dinner would just be a minor violation (which we all knew) and that Carters mom went to school with one of the agents at ASM. She apparently left in the middle of the meal. Who knows, maybe she got to thinking this is against the rules and said Im outa here.... He reiterated Duke is not worried about this. Good to hear.

I just saw another article about recruiting violations hitting major programs. With a picture of Coach K. Today. After Duke released their statement yesterday. Unless these people have more information this is irresponsible journalism. People see these headlines and assume the worst. Several friends have told me "Duke's in trouble" even though the issue has been resolved. (For now) This bothers me; the fact that the perception of the program is being lumped into these other violations. Morning rant over; lets beat the Orange. :)

I just saw another article about recruiting violations hitting major programs. With a picture of Coach K. Today. After Duke released their statement yesterday. Unless these people have more information this is irresponsible journalism. People see these headlines and assume the worst. Several friends have told me "Duke's in trouble" even though the issue has been resolved. (For now) This bothers me; the fact that the perception of the program is being lumped into these other violations. Morning rant over; lets beat the Orange. :)

It doesn't help that we have two trolls on the board pretending to be Duke fans and pushing the same agenda.

Spot on. It's just asinine at this point. They mention Duke to get clicks - even though Wendell's situation isn't even a violation

Lance bought/borrowed that with agent money, and wasn’t it after the season was over?. Duke has zero ties to that directly. Who gives a crap what the kid buys himself with money an agent gave him?
Actually it wasn't at the end of the season, it was in December of his senior year but he and the jeweler refused to talk to the NCAA...will never know the story there...

I never understood why this was even a story? How does a player, who was ALREADY at the school, and a jeweler carrying out a business transaction have ANYTHING to do with the school, or be considered Duke doing something corrupt?

I never understood why this was even a story? How does a player, who was ALREADY at the school, and a jeweler carrying out a business transaction have ANYTHING to do with the school, or be considered Duke doing something corrupt?
A college player putting a $30,000 down payment on jewelry in his senior year...I don't know too many college kids that can do that...money could have come from family etc...but we will never know and honestly that could have been a bad situation especially if it was proven he got the money from his agent during the season...Duke fan or not, we all know, per NCAA rules , that would have been an improper benefit. Honestly, I had forgotten about it until the likely troll posted it but I remember having a not so good feeling in the my stomach when this reported...

A college player putting a $30,000 down payment on jewelry in his senior year...I don't know too many college kids that can do that...money could have come from family etc...but we will never know and honestly that could have been a bad situation especially if it was proven he got the money from his agent during the season...Duke fan or not, we all know, per NCAA rules , that would have been an improper benefit. Honestly, I had forgotten about it until the likely troll posted it but I remember having a not so good feeling in the my stomach when this reported...

I agree that it was a deal that probably shouldn't have happened, but if the jeweler did it based on thinking he would be well compensated once the NBA money kicked in, this could have been a dumb business idea between Lance and a jeweler, and no agents or Duke employees had anything to do with it. Why would they be involved? It's not like they were trying to steer him to Duke, he was already there, and about to leave. I don't know all the details and really don't care, I just don't see where Duke could have benefitted anything from it. Maybe I don't understand it all clearly enough.

I’m not nearly naive enough to think that this stuff isn’t happening everywhere. I sincerely hope that our staff is not involved and that we are not in anyway connected to paying players for their commitment. Whether it is right or wrong and whether the players deserve compensation I love our program and I don’t want it destroyed. And to be perfectly blunt even if these top players are getting theirs behind closed doors I don’t think we are nearly dumb enough to be caught on a wiretap or anything of the kind with a direct link from agent with money to Duke.

"...dumb enough to be caught on a wiretap or anything..." Well said, that's the bottom line. College Athletics is big money and none of us should be so naive to not believe the 'money bag' does not exist, even at Duke. No, it does not have to come from Coach K and his staff, but it can come a former player, agent, booster, professor, landscaper, RA, bookstore clerk, etc...anybody.

The NCAA will need to make some changes real quick. And, another thing, these college basketball commentators need to stop acting like they are surprised or disturbed.

I agree that it was a deal that probably shouldn't have happened, but if the jeweler did it based on thinking he would be well compensated once the NBA money kicked in, this could have been a dumb business idea between Lance and a jeweler, and no agents or Duke employees had anything to do with it. Why would they be involved? It's not like they were trying to steer him to Duke, he was already there, and about to leave. I don't know all the details and really don't care, I just don't see where Duke could have benefitted anything from it. Maybe I don't understand it all clearly enough.
No way do I think any Duke coaches were involved..but a slimy agent waiting on an eventual pay day once Lance made a roster that's a likely scenario..

With all of these programs getting exposed paying recruits money...let's say you're on the team with a recruit who was paid and you were highly ranked and may be just as good...how would you feel when you found out that recruit may have gotten $100,000 and you were offered nothing? That must be a blow to the entire team not just highly ranked recruits...

Love how at halftime espn fails to mention carters moms lunch ...lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT