ADVERTISEMENT

Vernon Carey , Wendell Moore and Boogie Ellis .

Showenuff

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2006
Seems like just yesterday we weren't gonna land a single recruit for next season. This is quite a haul for our program. Seems Capel isn't the only guy who can land a recruit, good job Cwell ! Something I hadn't recognized yet, Moore has a 7' wing span !

Seems like just yesterday we weren't gonna land a single recruit for next season. This is quite a haul for our program. Seems Capel isn't the only guy who can land a recruit, good job Cwell ! Something I hadn't recognized yet, Moore has a 7' wing span !

And I don't think we are done yet either!!!!

Reactions: hart2chesson
Anthony Edwards plan on taking an official visit to Duke along with FSU, MSU, Kansas. Would be a great get if Tre left. Just get him on campus. As of right now, Duke hasn't offered.

Reactions: jwill133
I 100% agree with you. He just put up 40 and 14. Says he wants the college experience. What best place to get that than Duke! Experience, national exposure, best coach the game has to offer etc...
Yeah no where better. Didn’t really know much about him until he reclassified and i watched some highlights and he looks like a stud

Yeah no where better. Didn’t really know much about him until he reclassified and i watched some highlights and he looks like a stud
Yeah, he is pretty nasty. Some had him as the #1 draft pick 2021 before he reclassed.

Last edited:
Anthony Edwards is transcendent, he’s probably the leader to be the #1 pick next year.
He’s not RJ Barrett but he could be pretty dang close.
Yeah, I agree. Most people have him as the number 1 pick in 2020. Man, I just saw a Rocket Mortage commercial and they were in Cameron with a bunch of other school mascots. I caught the tail end of it. The hate will grow for sure now,

Reactions: jwill133
If I recall correctly FSU will be tough to beat here. But K is not stupid and sees the reclass and knows that Tre is almost certainly gone. I expect the heat to be turned way up on this.

Hold up. Wouldn’t he had been number 1 in the 2021 class if he was originally in the class of 2020
Lol yep, got crossed up, went back and changed it in the original post. Good looking out. Getting to excited with all the recruting going on. Hard to keep up lol.

Why do people keep mentioning him and Tre? Edwards is a Sg or SF, so if Tre stays or goes it doesn’t affect him because he starts day one at SG or SF depending on which K likes him at most

If I recall correctly FSU will be tough to beat here. But K is not stupid and sees the reclass and knows that Tre is almost certainly gone. I expect the heat to be turned way up on this.

Did he end up red shirting?
For some kids, the plan to RS is one that is made immediately and announced as such. For others, it is a post season decision. The player doesn't play during the season, and after the season ends, the team calls it a RS season. You don't have to announce it as a RS season.
For a long time, it looked like we didn't need his shooting this year. That still might change.

Can't speak for others. If Tre leaves, we need a high impact guard. I am fine with Alex, Boogie, and Goldwire if Tre comes back. If Tre leaves we need at least one stud in the backcourt. I would not be comfortable with Goldwire and Boogie handling the PG duties with Alex and Boogie as our 2 guards. Maybe Moore plays some 2 in a bigger lineup if Baker/White force the issue. But, to me, if Tre leaves, I want someone who can dominate at the 2 guard. Then we just need our point to be solid with on-ball D and not be turnover prone. Makes Goldwire/Boogie PG much more reasonable.

Can't speak for others. If Tre leaves, we need a high impact guard. I am fine with Alex, Boogie, and Goldwire if Tre comes back. If Tre leaves we need at least one stud in the backcourt. I would not be comfortable with Goldwire and Boogie handling the PG duties with Alex and Boogie as our 2 guards. Maybe Moore plays some 2 in a bigger lineup if Baker/White force the issue. But, to me, if Tre leaves, I want someone who can dominate at the 2 guard. Then we just need our point to be solid with on-ball D and not be turnover prone. Makes Goldwire/Boogie PG much more reasonable.
So basically what I’m hearing is go get Anthony Edwards. He’ll dominate at the 2 spot

Anthony Edwards would solve the impact guard problem. Though he is a shooting guard, we really need a starting point guard if Tre leaves.

RJ Hampton continues to play coy wrt reclassifying. If Tre leaves, and the shooters and bigs we'll have next year, I could easily see RJ Hampton deciding to be the next PG at Duke. I think he really likes Duke, but pre season it looked like Tre would be a multi year guy at Duke. Now Tre looks more like a OAD player, opening up a starting role at Duke.
Not worried, at all.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
I always want one more ball handling guard with vision. If Tre leaves, and there are no interested 6'5 super guards, find me a tough 5'10 inch bulldog that can dribble and pass. How about Scottie Pippen, Jr.? Would he choose to be a backup at Duke or the starter at Washington St.? He'd have more fun as a Devil for 4 years. Would love to see four members of the Dream Team in Cameron next season: Scottie, the Admiral, K and Laettner.

I know having Tre potentially come back may prevent us from getting guys like Francisco Farabello (committed to TCU) or Tyrell Terry (Stanford). These types of play makers really complement the finishers and shooters. Outlet passes and simple no-looks make the game so much easier, even for the OADs.

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
I thought R.J. said he wouldn't reclassify a couple of months ago. Is that not accurate?

He wasn't willing to officially reclassify at that moment in time. As I said, I think he loves Duke, but also wants to be the lead guard in college. When he said what he said, Duke's roster next year was dicey from his POV. Tre was likely to return, and the front court situation was murky. Now? Tre looks to be on the way to OAD, freeing up the PG slot for "someone." Carey will solidify the post. If Duke's PG slot were to open up, I think RJ's thinking about reclassifying would shift.
K hasn't been, at all, worried about the PG slot next year. Once Cole moved on, K should have been more agitated about PG for next year. Only, he hasn't been. It is almost as if he knows something we don't.
I think our PG next year is "set" in a Shrodinger's Cat, quantum superposition sort of definition of the word "set." Tre will return. Or, if not, RJ will step in. One or the other IMO.

Reactions: DukeDenver
^ Very interesting.

I love Hampton's game so I'd be ecstatic if he ended up reclassifying, if things keep trending the way they are (i.e. if Tre's stock keeps improving and he leaves).

Forgot about Hampton as a reclassify option. Was worried that there was no real PG option left if Tre left. PG is obviously the more important guard position. Very interesting indeed.

Last edited:
Not sure how significant it is but I just saw an article/interview with Hampton on a sea of blue dated Dec. 6. Among other things, he said he hasn't been hearing as much from us lately (exact words were "Duke has slowed down some").

Last edited:
Not sure how significant it is but I just saw an article/interview with Hampton on a sea of blue dated Dec. 6. Among other things, he said he hasn't been hearing as much from us lately (exact words were "Duke has slowed down some").
I've also heard he really like's Memphis at this point. I'm curious to why things have slowed down though.

I've also heard he really like's Memphis at this point. I'm curious to why things have slowed down though.

Memphis is hot right now. Penny is the coach, and they've got a really good class committed. Cooler heads will prevail, and Duke would be too good of an opportunity to pass up. Sort of like Zion. I think his heart was truly at Clemson. But the hoops situation at Duke, specifically the prospect of Zion not being double (if not triple) teamed every time he touched the ball, was simply too good to pass up. It wasn't completely cold blooded. I think Duke was second in Zion's heart (and first in his mom's heart), and that he loves K, the campus, the history, and everything. But Clemson was his childhood school, it was local, and they needed him. But Duke was a better situation hoops wise.
In 2 years, Memphis might be a better option than Duke. Next year? Sans Tre, Duke figures to be an IDEAL spot for RJ Hampton. We won't be as dynamic next year, no doubt. But we might be much, much better shooters. The team could legit be 3 shooters, Carey, and a PG. It would be spread out for RJ to attack. And Wiseman won't be a huge show TV wise next year. His ranking is based on his absurd potential. He could be a Anthony Davis level player in a few years. But he's further from his ceiling than AD was at the same point. He'll be good next year, but probably not POY good. Carey will be better in college, for sure. Wiseman might be better long term. RJ would look better at Duke next year.
If not him, some PG will want to be a part of Duke next year.

Is Cole Anthony considering Duke at all or has that ship sailed? PG is a major concern for next year’s team (once Tre officially declares).

This doesn’t have anything to do with this thread but it’s about a recruit and I didn’t want to start a new thread for it. Over at RR there’s a thread about Matthew Hurt and several posters are saying that they don’t think he’s really all that good. It sounds to me like they’re already getting their “he sucks” and “we didn’t really want him anyway” excuses ready if he doesn’t choose Kentucky.

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT