ADVERTISEMENT

UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD

I think we are trying to downplay last night’s performance. Maybe all the things being said are true but we can’t deny we have some issues on offense and little time to fix them. This team could very well struggle for a while. I didn’t see an NBA caliber player on the court last night. We got to get threes to start falling and find some serious playmakers. I’m confident we will be geared up for the next exhibition

The only thing at this point is there are a lot of things for this young core to work on and the veterans will need to help.

I don’t see any player except for Tre as a guaranteed starter.

Hurt , I would like to see how he does against a stronger front line as well as Carey.

Stanley and Moore got a look at college level competition even if it was a division 2 team.

Gonna be a lot of growing pains this season.

Reactions: hart2chesson
The good news: our perimeter D is gonna be elite. I love Tre and Jordan out there together hounding people.

The bad news: we don’t have a single guy that I know will get us a bucket when we desperately need one. I don’t see a lottery pick on this team. To be elite, you really need one. The title game last year featured Culver and Hunter, and both those teams also had veterans.
I like Hurts offensive game, but as a 2nd or 3rd option.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I hate myself when I click on these articles that are simply designed to get more clicks.

I'd really like a team that struggles in November and peaks in March. That would be a treat.

Reactions: Mac9192
What did the body language on the bench look like? Enthusiastic high fives? Who’s transferring?

I did not see the game but am interested in that aspect of the game. I know there were some that didn't even get in the game and that may cause some problems as to have a solid 15 man rotation. How about Coach K's grandson? Any indication of being perturbed he didn't see pt? Hope Mrs. K didn't make it too hard on Coach K. I'm a little concerned about some problems that might come up. That could really mess up the team chemistry especially if Coach K's daughter and son in law become disenchanted from like of pt. I've seen it all too often from coaching youth and parents and grandparents get upset if they feel their son or grandson is not getting the same pt as others. If this has potential of becoming a problem it needs to be nipped in the bud now and not deep into the season. Just my take. :) OFC

Last edited:
I just don't think AOC is an ACC player and I'm afraid baker isn't either...but baker hasn't had enough time really to see....AOC has and IMO he should be playing mid major ball

Been thinking this for the past month or so. Gonna be a bit of a different year for us, boys. I know, I know it's one game etc etc etc...

We will improve, but looks like we have the same problems as last year (especially in regards to shooting) but with substantially less upside.

Last edited:
There are a couple of things I would like to say. One, is that I believe we've got a hangover from last season with all the talent that Zion & RJ oozed. Hell, Zion had (has) more talent than many entire teams altogether. Last year's team made spectacular plays...plays that made you shake your head in delight. This team isn't as likely to make us do that.

This team doesn't seem to have an ultra dominant player, but I don't think that's a deal breaker, 'cause I think they're going to realize pretty quickly that they have to play as a 'team' to be successful. And that's not a bad thing.

Duke handed UK their asses last year, and it took awhile for them to come together, but they did. I have no reason to doubt (at this point) that Coach K, the staff, and our players will figure it out. Don't think it's time to panic with only one exhibition game under our belt.

OFC

There are a couple of things I would like to say. One, is that I believe we've got a hangover from last season with all the talent that Zion & RJ oozed. Hell, Zion had (has) more talent than many entire teams altogether. Last year's team made spectacular plays...plays that made you shake your head in delight. This team isn't as likely to make us do that.

This team doesn't seem to have an ultra dominant player, but I don't think that's a deal breaker, 'cause I think they're going to realize pretty quickly that they have to play as a 'team' to be successful. And that's not a bad thing.

Duke handed UK their asses last year, and it took awhile for them to come together, but they did. I have no reason to doubt (at this point) that Coach K, the staff, and our players will figure it out.

OFC
I think you kind of hit the nail on the head, though. Duke had some significant problems last year, particularly shooting, but they were masked by Zion's freak ability.

I think this team will have those same problems, but those who left are replaced by others with a lower ceiling. I feel like the staff had way more to work with last year and still couldn't solve some much needed problems. Having a once in a lifetime player on that team as well as a second ridiculously good player made up for that to a degree. We won't have neither of those two guys this year.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
We've played one exhibition game and the sky is falling. I thought exhibition games were mainly used as a coaching tool and to allow some fans to get a glimpse of this year's new team. We've got 5 months of basketball, I think we will be just fine.

I have been one who has said since we wrapped up our recruiting class a couple months ago that we will have a chance to be better this year than last year. I know it’s not a popular opinion but my reasoning is that we’ll have to work as a team and (hopefully) actually run an offense. I don’t usually get on K about anything and i usually always support his decisions but last year i admit i was a little disappointed in his decision on offense. I get that we had two freakishly good players and that we didn’t have much shooting but i still felt like there should’ve been more plays called. It felt like it was just Zion and Rj isolation the whole game. And i mean it worked a lot but eventually you’re gonna need offense from other players. I didn’t really feel like K looked to provide that. So that’s one reason why i felt like this could be a better year. K knows he doesn’t have a guy who is just gonna dominate so he should be looking to runs some plays to provide some offense. I think this team will take awhile to get it all together but i still believe they can be a very good team come March. I just feel like not having a “go to guy” might possibly be a good thing in ways.

I think you kind of hit the nail on the head, though. Duke had some significant problems last year, particularly shooting, but they were masked by Zion's freak ability.

I think this team will have those same problems, but those who left are replaced by others with a lower ceiling. I feel like the staff had way more to work with last year and still couldn't solve some much needed problems. Having a once in a lifetime player on that team as well as a second ridiculously good player made up for that to a degree. We won't have neither of those two guys this year.

I think it's just a tendency for players to stand around and watch when there's a dominate type player (especially young players like we have). We won't have a Zion or RJ to mask our problems, but our own players won't necessarily be thinking 'it's Zion time' either. At least that's what I'm hoping will be the case. It gives all the players a little more leeway into developing imo. But, time will tell.

OFC

Just watched Coach K's presser....worth the 6 mins. I would share but its on facebook and not sure how. He has great things to say about NWMST..they were D2 champs, older and more experienced than our team....a good test so a great experience for our new kids. There are no gimmes at this level.

Hey, SoCal, I mean 14-44, if you don't mind me asking...what does fourteen44 mean? It's going to take me awhile to get used to that!:D

OFC

Hey buddy! It’s my two twin nephews football numbers. Created this a while ago but decided I liked SoCal better. Now that I’m east coast residence, I’m switching away from SoCal....

Just watched Coach K's presser....worth the 6 mins. I would share but its on facebook and not sure how. He has great things to say about NWMST..they were D2 champs, older and more experienced than our team....a good test so a great experience for our new kids. There are no gimmes at this level.
I think the fact that they made what like 17 threes and as poorly as we were on offense at times, we still won by six is a pretty positive note to take away from the game. Thats also not counting the fact we were up by 19 at one point. When we get up big we still have to keep a focused mind and not do silly things to let a team back in the game!

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Hey buddy! It’s my two twin nephews football numbers. Created this a while ago but decided I liked SoCal better. Now that I’m east coast residence, I’m switching away from SoCal....

That's so cool, 1444, and a nice nod to your nephews! I thought it was some kind of 'code' that old guys like me aren't familiar with! Well, either that or the year that Sky was born.:D

OFC

Honestly I don't think it's an outreach to be worried about a close game against a D2 team. Look at some of our recent scores against the defending D2 champion....
2018-2019: 106-64
2017-2018: 93-60 NW Missouri State
2016-2017: 90-59. All of our freshman were hurt.
2015-2016: 112-68. Not an amazing Duke team.
2014-2015: 115-58
2013-2014: 103-67 Worst defensive Duke team in 30 years?
2012-2013: 105-87
2011-2012: 87-62
2010-2011: 141-68. Kyrie, lol.
2009-2010- 128-70

Our closest game the past 10 years was 18 points, and it wasn't a "close" 18 points, we were up 25 late.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't think it's an outreach to be worried about a close game against a D2 team. Look at some of our recent scores against the defending D2 champion....
2013-2014: 103-67
2009-2010- 128-70

Our closest game the past 10 years was 18 points, and it wasn't a "close" 18 points, we were up 25 late.

Eye-opening numbers for sure.

Reactions: jwill133
All I’m going to say is damn we’re spoiled and like somebody said this is a hangover from last year. Not worrying/taking/analyzing/ criticizing/whatever anything from this game. :)

2013-2014: 103-67 Worst defensive Duke team in 30 years?
2009-2010- 128-70

I would love to see the box score on the 2010 - 2011 - 141-68 game.

I would love to see the box score on the 2010 - 2011 - 141-68 game.
https://goduke.com/news/2010/10/23/205017577.aspx

We shot 19-34 from three! Singler had 31 in 22 minutes.
Off the bench, Ryan Kelly scored 21 and Dawkins scored 20.

We were leading the game 30-1 at one point.

I know it's been sad many times, but if Kyrie stays healthy all season, no way we would have lost.

https://goduke.com/news/2010/10/23/205017577.aspx

We shot 19-34 from three! Singler had 31 in 22 minutes.
Off the bench, Ryan Kelly scored 21 and Dawkins scored 20.

We were leading the game 30-1 at one point.

I know it's been sad many times, but if Kyrie stays healthy all season, no way we would have lost.

Wow, that was some balanced scoring. Kyrie only had 17 points, but the shocker was that Miles Plumlee only had 2 points.

All I’m going to say is damn we’re spoiled and like somebody said this is a hangover from last year. Not worrying/taking/analyzing/ criticizing/whatever anything from this game. :)

It doesn't have to be one extreme or the other. I don't think it is a "sky is falling" scenario, but I also think it is pretty naive to think nothing at all can be taken from this game. The answer, as it is in most instances, is somewhere in the middle. I know with 100% certainty that the staff and players are working hard to take everything they can from this game, as they should be.

There were some undeniable positives (there are lineups Duke can put out there that can really defend), and some overt negatives (shooting and finishing was really, really bad; Carey nonexistent). In a very general sense, not panicky at all, it isn't great for a top five team to really struggle to put away a DII team, no matter how solid they are. There is just no arguing that. But obviously that doesn't mean all is lost, and to suggest it wasn't great isn't running a white flag up a pole or anything. This team has some work to do, but they have every opportunity to reach their potential.

Plus, last season ended a long time ago, and people want to talk some hoops!

It doesn't have to be one extreme or the other. I don't think it is a "sky is falling" scenario, but I also think it is pretty naive to think nothing at all can be taken from this game. The answer, as it is in most instances, is somewhere in the middle. I know with 100% certainty that the staff and players are working hard to take everything they can from this game, as they should be.

There were some undeniable positives (there are lineups Duke can put out there that can really defend), and some overt negatives (shooting and finishing was really, really bad; Carey nonexistent). In a very general sense, not panicky at all, it isn't great for a top five team to really struggle to put away a DII team, no matter how solid they are. There is just no arguing that. But obviously that doesn't mean all is lost, and to suggest it wasn't great isn't running a white flag up a pole or anything. This team has some work to do, but they have every opportunity to reach their potential.

Plus, last season ended a long time ago, and people want to talk some hoops!

I would think that Coach K will open up practice with "don't read your newspaper clippings about how great you were". Then show them the game film and make it a learning experience. I think the opponent was pretty good.

That said, if they come out like that in the 2nd exhibition game, I might temper my expectations at that point.

I don't want to downplay the game or say the sky is falling. So I'll just remind people that stuff happens sometimes: Virginia vs Chaminade. The top ranked team lost to an NAIA school.

Look the team isn't going to shoot too well from 3 this year. On the other hand it is an athletic deep team that will find other ways to beat teams. Will the other teams crowd the lane like last year? Maybe, but I hope our ball movement is better and we take the 10 footers that are available instead of insisting on driving into the crowd every time..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT