ADVERTISEMENT

UNC at Duke - Keys to the Game

I thought this too... my guess would be: if Matt Jones is 100% he will start and the matchup will go

Jones on berry
Grayson on williams
Kennard on Jackson
Tatum on Hicks
Jefferson on Meeks

If Matt still has that bum ankle... swamp frank for Matt.

I'm really intrigued with the kennard v Jackson matchup... both players love to move off the ball.. with Justin's length will that bother Luke. If the matchup is kennard v Jackson... if I'm kennard I'm driving on him in the paint and doing that hesitation pump fake to try and draw fouls on him.
These defensive matchups are what I expect as well. The main thing that worries me is Kennard's defense off the ball. Jackson is great while moving off the ball and Kennard gets caught ball watching a lot. He needs to really lock in on the defensive end Thursday because if we slow down Jackson, we have a great chance of getting the win.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I don't like Kennard on Jackson at all. Maybe that is the matchup, but I see Allen being better fit to guard him because he's more athletic than Kennard. Either way, it's a tough assignment. I see Jackson starting, with Jones seeing good time. I do feel Giles will play a lot as foul trouble may be a concern, as well as Bolden (at least in 1st half). I want to see Duke play the way we thought they would months earlier

The biggest key will be to just straight up compete. These are two proud programs, and sometimes, record books and tactics get tossed out of the window in this match-up. Can the guys get stops maybe not the whole game, but at key moments (runs, 2 mins before the halves end, out of timeouts, etc.)? That will be huge.

Probably not a good move to put out worst defender on their best offensive player, but call me crazy. I don't see them being matched up often unless there is some sort of switching in play.

Yeah I definitely see your point... I think there will be a lot of switching taking place... I can see Allen or Matt Jones on Jackson with Luke on Williams... while Jackson is there best offensive player, I feel berry drives that offense, when he plays well UNC offense is on point... when you shut him down, the offense isn't as fluid... that was my thought with Matt on him.,, but yeah saying Luke on Jackson probably wasn't the smartest post I ever made

Yeah I definitely see your point... I think there will be a lot of switching taking place... I can see Allen or Matt Jones on Jackson with Luke on Williams... while Jackson is there best offensive player, I feel berry drives that offense, when he plays well UNC offense is on point... when you shut him down, the offense isn't as fluid... that was my thought with Matt on him.,, but yeah saying Luke on Jackson probably wasn't the smartest post I ever made
That's why we all sit coaching from our recliner. I've never lost a game and if K listened to me he'd have more titles. Haha

The biggest key will be to just straight up compete. These are two proud programs, and sometimes, record books and tactics get tossed out of the window in this match-up. Can the guys get stops maybe not the whole game, but at key moments (runs, 2 mins before the halves end, out of timeouts, etc.)? That will be huge.

I agree. Sometimes the stats and the records don't matter. There have been years where one team was clearly inferior to the other, yet they either came out on top or gave a real good fight. This rivalry brings out the best in both. I expect it to be a good game.

Reactions: dukehokie
I love this rivalry. I work in Healthcare and the smack talk among all the Ulums with both schools is intense. The Drs around the ORs are hilarious when they get into each others grill but its done in fun although I feel fairly certain that deep down there is still some hate towards each other. This is by far one of the best weeks for College ball as a whole.. Rivalry Week. Go Duke.

I'll be interested to see how Coach K game plans for Luke Maye. My guess is he will put Giles on him to try to keep Tatum out of foul trouble, but I am not sure that will be enough. Hopefully our guards can hedge and try to stop the entry pass.

Btw is Pinson playing?

I'll be interested to see how Coach K game plans for Luke Maye. My guess is he will put Giles on him to try to keep Tatum out of foul trouble, but I am not sure that will be enough. Hopefully our guards can hedge and try to stop the entry pass.

Btw is Pinson playing?
I think Pinson might be playing.

Btw is Pinson playing?
Scratch that. It is still uncertain if Pinson is playing.

No one is playing defense tomm nite on either side. If hot, both teams get into the 90's.

Reactions: jeans15
Yea. A role player for Team USA.
The ONLY time Maye will be a factor is the 10-12 minutes he will be in game. Carolina has many weapons, but I wouldn't think Duke mentions him much in their preparation. In my opinion, if we are worried about him then Duke is in more trouble than I thought

Reactions: hart2chesson
The ONLY time Maye will be a factor is the 10-12 minutes he will be in game. Carolina has many weapons, but I wouldn't think Duke mentions him much in their preparation. In my opinion, if we are worried about him then Duke is in more trouble than I thought
Yo. We are not serious about Maye.

Pinson is still undecided. I would prefer to see him play but obviously he won't if Roy thinks he isn't ready.

Duke -2.5 is the early line. Tells me that Vegas isn't sure who will win. Should be a close game

Pinson is still undecided. I would prefer to see him play but obviously he won't if Roy thinks he isn't ready.

Pinson will play....thats hype...Roy will hold nothing back, like the psyche job he tried to sell on Grayson yesterday....

OFC

Pinson will def play in my opinion.. hes a huge key for unc theyve looked like a different team with him and are undefeated with him available.

Think all the analysis in the world never does justice to our games. Ultimately it comes down to little intangibles no one can really foresee. Last years first game was a perfect example.. the way unc collapsed down the stretch and Roys coaching blunders were almost hard to believe, but it happened.. like the rivers shot game-no way anyone watching that game wouldve thought duke had a chance until the last minute.

I'm pretty excited. I hope we kick their asses!
"That about sums it up for me."
that-about-sums-it-up-for-me-o.gif

Reactions: Jnood
Pinson will def play in my opinion.. hes a huge key for unc theyve looked like a different team with him and are undefeated with him available.

Think all the analysis in the world never does justice to our games. Ultimately it comes down to little intangibles no one can really foresee. Last years first game was a perfect example.. the way unc collapsed down the stretch and Roys coaching blunders were almost hard to believe, but it happened.. like the rivers shot game-no way anyone watching that game wouldve thought duke had a chance until the last minute.
I'm not sharpest knife in the drawer, but I am smart enough to not argue with a guy named Butterbutt

@jwill133 -- I think your point about the change in defense is spot on.

I would also add:
1. If we have no PG, then everyone plays like they are the PG when they have the ball. It seems like we have mentally collapsed on executing fundamental basketball. Passing the ball with crispness -- Allen, Jones, Jackson.
2. Let the balanced talent of Duke create open-man opportunities. Between Allen and Kennard, there is enough threat of an inside or outside game that Duke can exploit. Then you have Tatum and Jackson
3. Amile has to the zen-master; keeping the team calm. focused, and intense. He also has to rebound like a maniac.
4. Last, Factor X -- I think Coach WIlliams gets out coached again. @Butterbutt44 -- "little intangibles no one can foresee." Yep -- Roy; the gift that keeps on giving.

In reality, this is a tough game. It is very winnable, so winnable that I think we actually win. Duke +7

Can't stop Britt, we can only pray Duke contains him
Are you serious?

To me the only difference in the two teams are UNC has an inside game which Duke just seems not to be able to guard. Look at Young for Pitt.
Duke can stop shooters but everyone knows if your scoring at will inside it opens up lanes and shooters.

Are you serious?

To me the only difference in the two teams are UNC has an inside game which Duke just seems not to be able to guard. Look at Young for Pitt.
Duke can stop shooters but everyone knows if your scoring at will inside it opens up lanes and shooters.
Yes I was being sarcastic. Britt can't play a radio

That's what worries me most. There have been games the past 3 or 4 years we could have or should have won, but failed down the stretch because Roy couldn't close. It's my ultimate concern.

Why we won't play Tatum at the 3 is beyond me, I say start Jackson, Allen, Tatum, Amile, and Bolden and take advantage of rebounding. Bring Giles and Kennard off the bench to give Duke that spark and relentless pressure! If Justin Jackson is guarded by our 6'5 guys, we lose and K made a bad choice IMO. Hopefully, I am wrong, but we haven't had the luxury of playing a big lineup this year, when it's a clear advantage IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT