ADVERTISEMENT

UNC at Duke - Keys to the Game

But he's not as strong as Hicks or Bradley. So if that matchup is to work in your favor you need to get Hicks in foul trouble.

Maybe not, but he's a better player than both and creates a mismatch of his own.

The only concern I have with Jayson is that he gets caught up in the game and reverts to making some of the poor decisions he was making a few weeks back. He's a very underrated defender, imo, and uses his length to his advantage. Hicks has a history of foul issues....I'm hoping Tatum's ability to spread the floor and drive will come in handy.

K was thinking ahead with the line up vs Pitt! He regularly goes small vs Roy. The only issue I see with Tatum at the 4 is on defense, only because I prefer Tatum on Jackson over Hicks. Tatum is an absolute mismatch for them with the ball in his regardless of who they throw at him. He's gonna shoot a bunch Thursday, hopefully they fall. He's the key to the game

We can't get killed on the boards...have to stay fairly close. We're going to get some good looks from 3 because we've got Jayson, Grayson, and Frank that can get to the hole, or close and that will open up shots...just got to make 'em. Perhaps biggest of all, have to continue to show improvement in the defensive department...and without excessive fouling.

As far as the cash for the refs is concerned, it's a done deal. We're not even going to try to keep it a secret anymore we're just going to throw the money at those greedy refs. Let those Heels try to match that!

Cameron-Money-Drop-gif.gif

OFC

We can't get killed on the boards...have to stay fairly close. We're going to get some good looks from 3 because we've got Jayson, Grayson, and Frank that can get to the hole, or close and that will open up shots...just got to make 'em. Perhaps biggest of all, have to continue to show improvement in the defensive department...and without excessive fouling.

As far as the cash for the refs is concerned, it's a done deal. We're not even going to try to keep it a secret anymore we're just going to throw the money at those greedy refs. Let those Heels try to match that!

OFC

Expert Analysis OADD, and then you really made all of us feel really good....Ah, the drop to the officials has been made! OFC

I'm completely fine with Jayson at the 4 against Hicks/Bradley. No way they can keep up with Jayson. And if UNC wants to play through Hicks, go ahead.

I agree, if Tatum can get Hicks in foul trouble, that would help. I think Tatun should use the pumpfake on Hicks and see if he goes for some blocks, get him off his feet and Tatum could score a lot from the foul line.

Also, regarding Justin Jackson, I say that whoever guards him should never leave him, don't watch the ball just watch Jackson. That would be my game plan, Jackson moves a lot without the ball, just stick to him like glue regardless. Jackson can beat Duke, but without him hitting shots, I don't see how UNC wins.

Just my opinion, of course.

Maybe not, but he's a better player than both and creates a mismatch of his own.

The only concern I have with Jayson is that he gets caught up in the game and reverts to making some of the poor decisions he was making a few weeks back. He's a very underrated defender, imo, and uses his length to his advantage. Hicks has a history of foul issues....I'm hoping Tatum's ability to spread the floor and drive will come in handy.

The Hicks/Tatum matchup could very well be the key to the game. Hicks has had trouble with fouls in the past and it hinders his game as he will get too cautious.

But when his game is on, he's a monster. So we will see what happens there.

Had a dream last night Harry had a big game. Harry takes every local game personal. Calling it now.. Harry has momentum changing 3 or Dunk and comes down to slap the floor.

Reactions: hart2chesson
The Hicks/Tatum matchup could very well be the key to the game. Hicks has had trouble with fouls in the past and it hinders his game as he will get too cautious.

But when his game is on, he's a monster. So we will see what happens there.

Much will depend on how the game is called, and who is calling it. Given Roy's disdain for Jamie Luckie Sunday, I do not expect to see him.

OFC

Had a dream last night Harry had a big game. Harry takes every local game personal. Calling it now.. Harry has momentum changing 3 or Dunk and comes down to slap the floor.

Harry had one of the biggest non-boxscore stat plays of the year in Winston-Salem. I will never forget his textbook pick to spring Luke for the GW shot!

OFC

OFC

Well we won't be getting any Trump money which we been getting for years now. Coach K. took care of that. ;) OFC

Tatum has lateral strength but he's not built like Bradley or Hicks. Tatum matches up well with Justin Jackson but Tatum struggles guarding in the post and that's where Hicks plays. I've yet to see Tatum back down any one on the low block.

How True!!!

OFC
I'm not one of those people that constantly focuses on the refs.

Certainly not said w/o a certain amount of bravado. Obviously, your coach certainly has this year, and I am not going to say K doesnt ride the officials.

However, what is it w/Roy this year-

1/flinging his coat
2/slammed scorer's table Sunday

in protest of calls....

and in another ill display of temper unrelated to refs, slammed chair at Miami....Is he getting more temperamental and testy w/age? He almost appears at a breaking point.....

OFC

On defense he's average at best. His length bails him out but he gets beat, a lot.

I think another key is the older guys helping the young guys managing emotions of such a big game. Whether it be ticky tack fouls or just pressing too hard, just keeping your head on straight and doing your job.

Tatum has lateral strength but he's not built like Bradley or Hicks. Tatum matches up well with Justin Jackson but Tatum struggles guarding in the post and that's where Hicks plays. I've yet to see Tatum back down any one on the low block.

Agreed, I'd rather see Jayson play the three, where I think he'll excel and also be a little better on defense.

Hopefully He'll look to share more as he did in the last game, I think that contributed to him playing well against Pitt.

I'm waiting for Duke to explode on somebody and be the team we've been waiting for, and what a better time to show the rest of country who the big dog really is than against the Holes and Ol Roy

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Agreed, I'd rather see Jayson play the three, where I think he'll excel and also be a little better on defense.

Hopefully He'll look to share more as he did in the last game, I think that contributed to him playing well against Pitt.

Crazy in a perfect world I like Jayson at the 3, but think he gives us our best chance of winning per our personnel strength at this juncture to be slotted at the 4. JMO...

OFC

I'm waiting for Duke to explode on somebody and be the team we've been waiting for, and what a better time to show the rest of country who the big dog really is than against the Holes and Ol Roy

Mac, ya keep thinking at some point its gotta happen...I agree....Timing could not be better! BTW, those ""experts" saying Duke had no resume wins? Hmm....that win over Fla looks pretty good rite now....

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Hey guys is there any truth to the rumor that once you reach 65 'likes received' that you win a Roy Williams Greatest Crying Moments CD?

This might Tatums best game in terms of assist and points. The only thing is will Roy allow the bigs to follow Tatum out to the arch and leave the rim unprotected

How True!!!

OFC

Certainly not said w/o a certain amount of bravado. Obviously, your coach certainly has this year, and I am not going to say K doesnt ride the officials.

1/flinging his coat

in protest of calls....

and in another ill display of temper unrelated to refs, slammed chair at Miami....Is he getting more temperamental and testy w/age? He almost appears at a breaking point.....

OFC

I'm not in Roy's head so I couldn't tell you. But getting on him for complaining about the calls is akin to the pot calling the kettle black, no?

I'm not in Roy's head so I couldn't tell you. But getting on him for complaining about the calls is akin to the pot calling the kettle black, no?

Boy original stuff...You're usually better than that-

1/I dont know anybody in Roy's head outside of maybe Debbie Crowder, Wayne Walden, a few others but I digress....

2/I acknowledged if you noticed K working officials as well, but his outburts have not been as disruptive this year....

Really not asking for you to "get inside his head," but hypothesize and you dodged...no prob....

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
You seem to be alone among THR folks.
I saw an entire thread devoted to complaining about the refs and every single poster prefaced his statement by saying something along the lines of "Now, I'm not one of those people who complain about the refs but...."

Actually, yes, yes you are.

I saw an entire thread devoted to complaining about the refs and every single poster prefaced his statement by saying something along the lines of "Now, I'm not one of those people who complain about the refs but...."

Actually, yes, yes you are.
There were a couple of people trying to talk sense into the loons by pointing out that the foul count was basically identical.

How True!!!

OFC

1/flinging his coat

in protest of calls....

OFC

He's just not getting his way so he's pitchin fits. OFC

Hopefully Roy still thinks that his unused Timeouts will carry over to the next game.

Crazy in a perfect world I like Jayson at the 3, but think he gives us our best chance of winning per our personnel strength at this juncture to be slotted at the 4. JMO...

OFC

Maybe you and DJ are right. We have about 6 bigs with a lot of talent we've got to use them more though

Maybe you and DJ are right. We have about 6 bigs with a lot of talent we've got to use them more though

Believe me in a game like Thursday I am in agreement we MUST steal some VALUABLE mins from our BENCH BIGS to offset their tremendous inside bulk. I could see Harry getting about 10mins or so if hes holding his own, and likewise 6-8 for Marques if hes banging with their bigs. They must be active, move their feet and be busy on defensive glass. Any offensive stickbacks we get are gravy!

OFC

Any guesses on who defends Berry and Jackson Thursday? Before the season I would have guessed Tatum on Jackson and Jones on Berry, but we seem set on playing Tatum at the 4 where he'll be defending one of their bigs.

You seem to be alone among THR folks.

I'm part of the OOTB crowd anyway. We laugh at them as much as you do.

Boy original stuff...You're usually better than that-

1/I dont know anybody in Roy's head outside of maybe Debbie Crowder, Wayne Walden, a few others but I digress....

2/I acknowledged if you noticed K working officials as well, but his outburts have not been as disruptive this year....

Really not asking for you to "get inside his head," but hypothesize and you dodged...no prob....

OFC

Alright, the subtle jabs aside, Roy could have had some bad days. Could be age. Could be the fact that we had 2 losses in ACC play that were by and by unacceptable. And officials make questionable calls sometimes, it happens. They don't always go our way.

It's anyone's guess. But I hardly think he's close to a mental breakdown.

I'm part of the OOTB crowd anyway. We laugh at them as much as you do.

Alright, the subtle jabs aside, Roy could have had some bad days. Could be age. Could be the fact that we had 2 losses in ACC play that were by and by unacceptable. And officials make questionable calls sometimes, it happens. They don't always go our way.

It's anyone's guess. But I hardly think he's close to a mental breakdown.

I agree, and honestly it could be age and/or as he prefers to call it all the "junk" he's involved in w/NCAA...

OFC

The biggest key to the game is Duke scores more points than UNX.
I hope Matt's healthy and can be a big factor on defense. Our defense is trending up and if we shoot well from 3 pt line I think this will be the game that gets everyone's attention.

Oh yeah, thanks Sky for keeping the refs in our pockets!

Any guesses on who defends Berry and Jackson Thursday? Before the season I would have guessed Tatum on Jackson and Jones on Berry, but we seem set on playing Tatum at the 4 where he'll be defending one of their bigs.

I thought this too... my guess would be: if Matt Jones is 100% he will start and the matchup will go

Jones on berry
Grayson on williams
Kennard on Jackson
Tatum on Hicks
Jefferson on Meeks

If Matt still has that bum ankle... swamp frank for Matt.

I'm really intrigued with the kennard v Jackson matchup... both players love to move off the ball.. with Justin's length will that bother Luke. If the matchup is kennard v Jackson... if I'm kennard I'm driving on him in the paint and doing that hesitation pump fake to try and draw fouls on him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT