ADVERTISEMENT

Turnovers

LetsGoDukies

All Conference
Jul 10, 2013
First off, I want to say how pleased I am with how our boys are playing and the direction they are headed. They have turned the corner for sure. However there is always room for improvement and one glaring area that I see we need to improve is limiting turnovers. I was curious so I looked up the turnover statistics from our ACC games this season and thought I would share.

In the ACC...
- we are averaging 12.4 turnovers per game compared to our opponents 11.3 per game
- we have had more turnovers than our opponent in 9 out of 13 games.

By game (turnovers in parenthesis)..
Duke (11) VT (9)
Duke (10) GT (13)
Duke (16) BC (21)
Duke (16) FSU (14)
Duke (18) Louisville (11)
Duke (10) Miami (18)
Duke (11) NC State (10)
Duke (15) Wake (9)
Duke (15) ND (8)
Duke (8) Pitt (13)
Duke (10) UNCheat (5)
Duke (10) Clemson (7)
Duke (11) UVA (9)

It is uncharacteristic for Duke to have more turnovers than their opponents so hopefully we can right the ship in this category. Go Duke!!!

We went in stretches where it was atrocious last night. And it's not forced turnovers sometimes, either....it's just ridiculous one's. Jayson seems to travel about once every game before he puts the ball on the floor, and last night Luke, a couple times, went into the traffic of three defenders with no way out. Now, in his defense, he did some really good facilitating too, but I think his shooting frustrations were showing at times.

Reactions: LetsGoDukies
I'm not surprised were turning the ball over more than our opponents most games. We don't have a natural PG.
I also believe our defense is at its best when we aren't trying to pressure 40 feet from the basket, we have played great positional defense lately, which isn't gonna lead to a lot of turnovers, but does force a lot of bad shots.

Seems lately like stretches of poorish play and high turnovers with stretches of very good play and limited turns. Last night in example, pretty sure we had 8 in the first half and only 3 in the second half against pretty good D.

Reactions: LetsGoDukies
I'd like to see us cut down the turnovers as well, but the team defense and rebounding last few games has been really good. A little tweaking with the offense would help but all in all the team is looking good.

I think we need to clean up the turnovers for sure especially the unforced turnovers. We will also need to limit the offensive rebounds we give up. I think our offense is fine. We scored 45 points in the second half and two of our top three players shot very poorly.

Plus they'll call that moving pick on a dribble screen in a heartbeat this year. Got hit w/two of those last nite.....OFC

Reactions: Showenuff
I think if we had a true PG to facilitate and run the offense, it would make a huge difference, but also, we cannot forget that this is still a young team, that because of injuries and other circumstances, is still learning to play together. I think this will be talked about a little less with each passing game, as the rotation is going to be more stable down the stretch. Staying healthy is going to be key!
I also wish and hope that "K" can "steal" a few minutes here and there down this last stretch, for Amile & Grayson to get a little more healed up. Going to be hard knowing what's at stake.
Go Duke!
OFC

Duke needs an 'easy' game. Unfortunately, those just don't grow on trees in ACC this season. Our easiest game, on paper anyways, was probably the one we lost to NC State.

Reactions: hart2chesson
16711940_1253198714733977_877673057925817619_n.jpg

Duke needs an 'easy' game. Unfortunately, those just don't grow on trees in ACC this season. Our easiest game, on paper anyways, was probably the one we lost to NC State.
I might be wrong but I think Wake gets gets roughed up tomorrow

I hope so....but Wake still has a lot of play for. In fact, our next three games, two of which are on the road, come against teams desperate for wins to make a bid at the NCAAT.

The W.F. game is big. We won a big game on the road Wed. night. It was a late game and I don't know if the team stayed over night in Va. or came home. Either way it couldn't have been a good nights sleep. W.F. is a good team and a win over Duke would certainly help them get a bid. They know that. IMO we need to play like it's the biggest game of the year. The second half vs. UVA took a lot of energy. The guys had to feel great about it. Last week we had the big win over unc at home and in came Clemson and they almost beat us. I know Coach K knows W.F. will be ready and no doubt the team knows this but if Duke watches W.F. play basketball tomorrow we will lose #5 in the conference. Full throttle Duke basketball from the opening whistle to the final horn and it won't be close. OFC

And we dont want to lose at home to State and Wake at home in the same year. As big as the UVA win was, this would torpedo our win IMO....They are coming in here EXPECTING to win- we stole one in Winston and turned our year around......Sky makes a good point- late game on road Wed nite, emotionally spent.....its a prescription for a flat performance....Lets set the tone early guys! Go Duke!

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac9192 and skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT