ADVERTISEMENT

True thoughts on Justise Winslow .

Showenuff

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2006
I got a bit angry at Justise last night after his little antics with his legs. He's done it a couple of times now and it aggravates the hell out of me to give our rival any ammo to come out and start using comments about us being dirty players. But I have to admit, he is the product of exactly what we've been needing on this team. He's fiery, he's tough and he has a bit of cocky swagger about him that helps a lot. Dirty player, no, but he's making some freshmen mistakes in desperation type situations. I feel like Coach is gonna have a very long talk to him about that this week.
Now several of my local unc buddies down here on the coast are saying stuff like unc lost because Winslow played dirty. I'll have to call that stupid. In fact, both times he pulled his stunts it benefited unc greatly. It had no bearing on their loss. I honestly think K addresses this issue and we don't see this from Justise again. I always want to beat unc. But I always want to do it the right way. I trust Mike Krzyzewski to always make that happen.

Justise is a good kid. But he definitely plays with an edge and last night was a little over the top.

The play in the first half is where he should have gotten a technical. I still disagree about the call in the second half. That one is a personal foul but it's not a flagrant. I have very little doubt that the refs knew they missed a call in the first half and we're making up for it.

I mean, sticking your leg out like that draws a tech? Watch any college game and you can find a play similar, or someone tugging shorts or using arm bars to gain an advantage or a split second. Those are personal fouls....not technicals. But I think Justise kick in the first half --- which should have been reviewed and wasn't, IMO --- is what cost him the T the second time around.

I'm not pissed at the young man and I could give two sh*ts what any UNC fans think of him. They're an insanely irrational bunch. I expect them to be who they are. I just want Justise to be using his head and doing what he does best. When he is we're a much better team.

Originally posted by Showenuff:
I got a bit angry at Justise last night after his little antics with his legs. He's done it a couple of times now and it aggravates the hell out of me to give our rival any ammo to come out and start using comments about us being dirty players. But I have to admit, he is the product of exactly what we've been needing on this team. He's fiery, he's tough and he has a bit of cocky swagger about him that helps a lot. Dirty player, no, but he's making some freshmen mistakes in desperation type situations. I feel like Coach is gonna have a very long talk to him about that this week.
Now several of my local unc buddies down here on the coast are saying stuff like unc lost because Winslow played dirty. I'll have to call that stupid. In fact, both times he pulled his stunts it benefited unc greatly. It had no bearing on their loss. I honestly think K addresses this issue and we don't see this from Justise again. I always want to beat unc. But I always want to do it the right way. I trust Mike Krzyzewski to always make that happen.
Me to. I expect he got some flack from Coach K and that won't happen again. No excuse in the world for it. OFC

I didn't care for it one bit. That's not what the rivalry is all about. You are also correct that he has a serious mean streak which greatly benefits us most of the time! Young mistakes is all, he's clearly a good kid.

If it were a Tarhole we would call him a dirty player just as they will, since we're a fan of him we call it a mistake. None of that's changing.

What I liked, in both cases (UNC and UVA) he came back and made up for it!! Justices solo 5 point run was a major swing last night

I don't approve of Winslow's antics last night, but............

We need an edge. Duke hasn't had "that guy" in a while. It's why we have been called soft. Why we lose early in the tourney. Our guys have just been a little too nice. Winslow don't give a $@%&. We have an attitude.

We have a big man that can dominate the game, something we haven't really had in years.
We have a PG that just takes a game over, if needed. He plays tough. Hard. Smart.
We have a SF that is "man beast." He's strong, drives to the bucket, has an attitude, rebounds.
We have a SG that is a senior with a chip on his shoulder. Wants to end his career with a bang.

These are intangible-like qualities that a team needs. And attitude. A spark. And you see it with this team. You don't have the wins that Duke has on the road with out this.

But again, Winslow can't do that because it will cost us and it is bush league. I don't condone it. But it ain't the worst thing either

Originally posted by WI#1Dukie22:

If it were a Tarhole we would call him a dirty player just as they will, since we're a fan of him we call it a mistake. None of that's changing.
Exactly this. Winslow needs to cut that crap out; it's so freaking lame.

I thought the play in the first half was ridiculous. There is no need for that. He needs to be better than that. The play in the second half was something that happens a good deal in the game.

Bottom line is that it cost Duke and Duke needs him on the floor.

Originally posted by dukiejay:
Justise is a good kid. But he definitely plays with an edge and last night was a little over the top.

The play in the first half is where he should have gotten a technical. I still disagree about the call in the second half. That one is a personal foul but it's not a flagrant. I have very little doubt that the refs knew they missed a call in the first half and we're making up for it.

I mean, sticking your leg out like that draws a tech? Watch any college game and you can find a play similar, or someone tugging shorts or using arm bars to gain an advantage or a split second. Those are personal fouls....not technicals. But I think Justise kick in the first half --- which should have been reviewed and wasn't, IMO --- is what cost him the T the second time around.

I'm not pissed at the young man and I could give two sh*ts what any UNC fans think of him. They're an insanely irrational bunch. I expect them to be who they are. I just want Justise to be using his head and doing what he does best. When he is we're a much better team.
I think this is exactly right. We need Justise on the floor, and we can't give away points. That's the issue; the rest is just noise.

I don't think K address it much more then saying clean it up Justice. I don't agree with the kick or the leg sweep however if he don't extend the leg much it's a foul on Johnson and if he just lets his leg drop instead of hooking Jackson it's carolina gets the ball back with a wide open basket.

Does he need to stop before he gets thrown out the game? Yes. Did we not rally though and win? Sure did. I'm starting to see a little Rob Artest in Winslow except without the mental issues. He new he was wrong and he'll clean it up.

He's gritty and wants to win

I watched every game his Dad played at the U of Houston. He was outstanding and Justice has a chance to be better if he takes correct path and stays at Duke at least one more.

Great win last night for series sweep.

Originally posted by Showenuff:
Good post, Show. He plays hard, aggressive, and on the edge. He also gets pounded plenty of times when driving to the basket and doesn't get a call, so I think he let's that interfere with his emotions sometimes. K will talk with him, probably show him the video of the 2 incidents, and he'll learn from it.

OFc

unx would take 'im in a heartbeat. The toughness he brings to Duke is exactly what they DON'T have. Made some silly decisions last night but he's not dirty. Personally , I thought the foot to Johnson's chest shoulda never been called. Justise made agressive athletic move to the basket. Brice is soft as church music. In backing away instead of "D'ing up" Johnson's earthbound candy-azz got popped. Like my ol' man used to say..."crap or get off the pot." Johnson wanted none of Winslow. I watched that bug-eyed doofus at unx do way worse. FOUR YEARS of it too. Did it with impunity. Never have I seen , before or since , a guy play as physical as he did and virtually never foul out. If Justise is "dirty" so is Hansflop...times 10.

I feel the same way....I love his attitude, swagger, toughness. We havnt had that in a long time and I love it. I don't however like the cheap stuff and didn't like his antics last night. I definitely want to focus that energy in a positive direction and do it the right way....I hope it was addressed. But make no mistake he has an edge to him that's welcome.

nice post by jay.

justice plays "a little chippy" as we used to say on the ice rink. nothing wrong with that. the issue comes when he gets a little out of control at the basket and then he falls and legs fly out etc.

he needs to really watch it. because the refs just zeroed in on him after that and the result was an early foul out. also when he was clearly fouled going to the hoop to score all the refs swallowed their whistles. the refs will give a clean player the benefit of the doubt - but a perceived "dirty" player will get whistle after whistle.

he needs to focus on keeping under control during these difficult moments.

Originally posted by GTHC, GTH!:
I don't approve of Winslow's antics last night, but............

We need an edge. Duke hasn't had "that guy" in a while. It's why we have been called soft. Why we lose early in the tourney. Our guys have just been a little too nice. Winslow don't give a $@%&. We have an attitude.

We have a big man that can dominate the game, something we haven't really had in years.
We have a PG that just takes a game over, if needed. He plays tough. Hard. Smart.
We have a SF that is "man beast." He's strong, drives to the bucket, has an attitude, rebounds.
We have a SG that is a senior with a chip on his shoulder. Wants to end his career with a bang.

These are intangible-like qualities that a team needs. And attitude. A spark. And you see it with this team. You don't have the wins that Duke has on the road with out this.

But again, Winslow can't do that because it will cost us and it is bush league. I don't condone it. But it ain't the worst thing either
Great post man! I don't want to see Winslow kicking people, however, if he can corral that in and continue to have that attitude I am fine with it. We have the kids to make a run, we also have guys like Matt Jones, Grayson Allen, Jefferson, and Plumlee who can make big plays when needed. And Allen and Jones have the ability to have huge offensive nights. I honestly think Allen may take over a game for us at some point in the postseason. We have some special kids fellas.

We need a little bit of Laettner on our team, I feel like Winslow does just that.

I honestly don't think the first kick was intentional. Look at where he was looking. 100% on the basket, not on Johnson. Still a foul and the right call, but not a dirty play in my book.

To me, Justice is the one of those weird examples of a spastic/uncoordinated and yet amazingly athletic/fluid athlete.

I think he definitely tried to kick Johnson, but I don't think he meant for it to look like a karate kick. Johnson had two fouls and was backing up to avoid a third. I think Winslow assumed Johnson would try to make a play so he kicked out trying to get some contact, when Johnson backed up the kick turned much worse. Could have been a worse play had the refs chosen to look at it differently. the second play was a little dirty but it appends. What I loved about the second play was he responded with a 5-0 run by himself.

Call me a homer or whatever you want but I have zero zero zero problem what justise was doing all night. I just researched the game and anyone calling him dirty is grasping and couldn't care less.

Singler was bit like that if people remember. He hardly got called for it or called out, but Singler was very chippy, especially away from the ball.

Originally posted by stanleyduke:
Singler was bit like that if people remember. He hardly got called for it or called out, but Singler was very chippy, especially away from the ball.
Lol, the titty twister against WVU. But yes, Singler was a tough mofo. Truth is, if you look at all the great Duke teams, we've always had that one guy, the guy that doesn't take sh*t from anyone and will set the tone that Duke isn't a pushover. it's just the truth.

I like this type of player. We need a little attitude. He's not dirty.

Originally posted by OldasdirtDevil:

He plays hard, aggressive, and on the edge. He also gets pounded plenty of times when driving to the basket and doesn't get a call, so I think he let's that interfere with his emotions sometimes. K will talk with him, probably show him the video of the 2 incidents, and he'll learn from it.

OFc
Let's don't forget, he is just a Freshman, and he is not cut from the same mold as Tyus & Jahlil. I really like his aggressive and "fearless" approach, as I am sure K does. This will be one of the lessons that K will be able to teach Justise.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

The plays were bonehead def, but I honestly think the one on Brice was not an attempt to kick, but to draw a foul. It doesn't matter what people think about the play though, because he was penalized appropriately for both. The refs will be watching him going forward, so Im pretty sure K and Capel have let him to know to watch that stuff. As for Unc fans, who gives a damn what they think? They can worry about their team, their academic scandal, and their probation.

Originally posted by dadecodevil:
The plays were bonehead def, but I honestly think the one on Brice was not an attempt to kick, but to draw a foul. It doesn't matter what people think about the play though, because he was penalized appropriately for both. The refs will be watching him going forward, so Im pretty sure K and Capel have let him to know to watch that stuff. As for Unc fans, who gives a damn what they think? They can worry about their team, their academic scandal, and their probation.
Hells to the yeah!

I like the fact he plays with an edge but you can't get stupid with it. I felt both those plays were boneheaded. First play I thought Bruce Bowen snuck in the game for us. I have no idea of his intentions but that looked pretty damn intentional if he meant it or not. I can see extending the leg to try and create a foul or get the shot off but damn. Second play happens all the time in the NBA but he isn't quite there yet. Correct call was made. But did we not take the lead for good with Plumlee, Allen and Jones on the court?

Still proud to say he is a Dukie. Don't lose the edge just keep it under control.

Originally posted by dukiejay:

Yeah I actually don't agree with that. I'm with Show on this one - I was a little angry with him too. The truth is, by the way the rule is written, he deserved one for both. It specifically states any committed foul where an attempt on the ball isn't made a flagrant one is assessed. He clearly did that on purpose and did not make a play on the ball.

Regardless, I hope Coach K has a talk with him about playing with an edge - but not taking cheap shots...because he has a couple times this year.

When I saw the play in the first half where he didn't get hit with a flagrant foul I was like wtf was he thinking, such a dumb move on his part and I wasn't happy at all but the play in the second half where he did get a flagrant foul for lifting his leg, that didn't bother nearly as much. Some might disagree with me but I thought it was mostly a case of 2 players feet/legs getting tangled up with one of the players (Justise) being on their back on the court and lifting his leg because when a person is on their back and trying to get up the one or both of their legs will lift up off the ground while they're trying to sit up.

I thought the first kick was intentional. No intent to injure, but he was clearly purposely using his foot to get Johnson off of him. It looked worse than it was, but it should have been a flagrant.

the 2nd play wasn't nearly as bad, but he got a flagrant as a make up for the first one. He certainly wasn't trying to injure Jackson (his AAU teammate and I assume friend) but he just got caught up in the emotion of the game.

Winslow isn't backing down from anyone. The first time Duke has a close game in the tournament (at which point, 80% of whatever building Duke is in will start pulling HARD for the other team) they're gonna need someone to step up and say "not today". Winslow is that guy. I'm psyched to see what he does over these next 4 weeks.

Meh...the "kick" wasn't really a kick but rather to ward off that 10' reach that Brice Johnson has and sometimes you just have to sweep the leg. He should've been a flagrant 1 for the first and foul on the second. I've seen guys tug at shorts while on the ground to prevent a guy getting up. That is no different. It was definitely a WTF moment in the game but it wasn't nearly as bad as it was made out to be. If someone uses an arm bar or a push off for a jumper or layup, is that any different? Not really.

That edge that made him do that is the same edge where he ripped the ball from a UNC guy underneath the basket or runs down court to make a block. You remember Laettner's stomp? He was a senior and had a bonehead play. You have to remember the age of these kids sometimes. It happens.

I knew immediately after Johnsosn ran his mouth on that fast break lay up that Winslow was gonna go at him. Tar Heels are very good at running their mouths and being quite smug...... If JP and Brice wanna get smug I suggest they find a way to win some big games first! Danny Green was as smug as they come in this rivalry, but he won alot!

Don't take his aggressiveness away, I like that chip he plays with! I agree with the poster that said his eyes were on the rim when he kicked his leg out, but he knew what he was doing. I definitely think every team needs a player like Justise that is a great competitor and hates to lose. K will talk to him and get him to channel his aggressiveness and play smarter. Oh yeah, GTHC!

Justice made all academic team for a reason. I seen him and Johnson talking after that so I don't think they were upset with each other. The funny part about it is he looks so innocent after he does these things and I've never seen him junk talk anybody.

Did you hear what they were talking about as well?..... I've watched the two games combined probably 6 times. I feel pretty comfortable saying they like going at each other and talk some ish. Which is what it's all about

Did anybody else notice K go to the bench for a sub after the five point swing due to Justise? Funny thing is there was never a dead ball so, I think Amile, sat at the scorers table ready to come in for Justise but then he went completely off for the five points lol. K was like, huh, nevermind. I might be wrong, but I follow K and the bench just as much as the flow of the game. Pretty sure he was subbing Justise out to give him an ear full. Thank god for no dead ball subs in that span!!!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by kailman:
I like this type of player. We need a little attitude. He's not dirty.
Definitely, he just needs to learn to hide it a little better like Singler and Laettner. He'll learn the subtleties in the next few years, I'm sure.

Who here has never wanted to drop kick a Tar Heel? Winslow did it for all of us. Case closed.

Originally posted by vcugreg:
Did anybody else notice K go to the bench for a sub after the five point swing due to Justise? Funny thing is there was never a dead ball so, I think Amile, sat at the scorers table ready to come in for Justise but then he went completely off for the five points lol. K was like, huh, nevermind. I might be wrong, but I follow K and the bench just as much as the flow of the game. Pretty sure he was subbing Justise out to give him an ear full. Thank god for no dead ball subs in that span!!!
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I did't care for his actions but pretty cool stuff with the way he redeemed himself, at least partially redeemed.

Originally posted by Devilicious:
Who here has never wanted to drop kick a Tar Heel? Winslow did it for all of us. Case closed.
Licious, that's so rich!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT