ADVERTISEMENT

Tre Jones

Jacket4

Recruit
Sep 18, 2008
Now that this game is basically over. This post is being made at the 8min t.v. time out. I will say this. Jones should be the front runner for DPOY off the merits of this game alone. Ponds who is an explosive scorer hasn't even been able to get a shot up let alone score and its all due to the unrelenting pressure and defense Jones has played.

We all know what he has done all year long, but to do this after missing some time due to a nasty injury. There simply is no player in the nation that affects the game on the perimeter with on ball defense like Jones. Players like Hagans out of UK does a good job but alot of their steals and impact come from off the ball defense poking loose bad passes. Tre locks you up for 90 feet for darn near 40minutes...

Jones does so much that will not be seen on paper. He is the most important, not just as important, player on the team. If he shoots the way he did today, that makes him and Duke that much better. Very thankful for the Jones brothers choosing to play at Duke. Hopefully we get the same result with Tre that we had with Tyus.

He definitely won’t be a lockdown defender at the next level. Need to keep reminding myself to stop being delusional. Those real athletes are still coming right Yates?

He definitely won’t be a lockdown defender at the next level. Need to keep reminding myself to stop being delusional. Those real athletes are still coming right Yates?

Idk about Yates man. He made a very compelling case last week that we really aren’t that good. If I didn’t watch Duke play I would’ve thought we weren’t a top 25 team

This is my first time watching Kentucky for more than 3 minutes since we stomped them and Hagans is definitely not the defender Tre is. It’s not even close.

Reactions: QC Dukie
I can’t remember the last time 2 freshman guards could defend like Tre and Hagans.
Tre is the best defender in the country, I don’t need some stupid list voted on by a bunch of NCAA dorks telling me that, my eyes tell me that.

Tre is also a better offensive player than Hagans.

Tre is both intense and laid back in a way that must be hard for opposing fan bases to hate. He's not that screaming, slap the floor guy but is just as aggressive on defense as our previous best backcourt defenders.

Hagans is a great defender. I don’t think he’s as good as Tre, but he’s really good. He made UNC’s guards look like children.

I just don't see him as a great defender like they're saying. If he's great then Tre must be the GOAT. Hagans look like he's very active off the ball and anticipating though. But Tre is exceptional in both areas. UNC doesn't really have a point guard in my opinion. Coby White will get ate up against Tre

He has instincts on the defensive end of the floor like a great scorer does on offense. Add that to how hard he works and his stamina and you get the best defender in the country IMO. For everything he gives on D he seems to never get tired .

For Tre to do what he did today to a player like Ponds is unbelievable. Ponds isn't just good, he is savy and tough. Tre just plain ruined him! And, he didn't just do it on the D end. He took it right to them on O for a stretch. Blatant response to their attempt to intimidate us with physical play. Tre was telling everyone in the building that it was his game and it would soon be over.

Yes, absolutely loved Jones taking it into the lane and pulling up for those little floaters. He was 3 for 4 I think on those.

Owning the floor on both ends. Yes we are blessed to have him.

Tre is both intense and laid back in a way that must be hard for opposing fan bases to hate. He's not that screaming, slap the floor guy but is just as aggressive on defense as our previous best backcourt defenders.

He’s very professional about his defense. He doesn’t need to shout and pound his chest, because he just knows he’s going to do it again next play. The guys that do that are insecure. They know they can get smoked at any moment. Tre has this feel that he just knows you can’t do anything about it.

Reactions: timo0402
I just don't see him as a great defender like they're saying. If he's great then Tre must be the GOAT. Hagans look like he's very active off the ball and anticipating though. But Tre is exceptional in both areas. UNC doesn't really have a point guard in my opinion. Coby White will get ate up against Tre

I agree completely that Coby will have a long night against tre. But don't downplay Hagans now, the kid does it differently. You're right that his best moments come from off the ball pressure. He has good lengeth and speed that allows him to jump passing lanes and get steals. He moves his feet well while gaurding on ball too. The kid can play great D but most of it is half court and off the ball.

Tre uses everything at his disposal . it all starts with his stance . like a good defensive back he is low to the ground and his feet never stop moving. He slaps up at the ball not down to avoid getting the ghost foul and his eyes stay locked on the offensive players hips allowing him to move with the player. Tres fundamentals on defense are the beat I have seen in any ball player in quite sometime. But he adds his great instincts and timing to those fundamentals making him just a stud.

Reactions: dukesince91
Again, he did that against Ponds. Against Texas Tech, that kid was a good ballplayer, but was not quick and was physically overmatched. Ponds is one of the quickest guys on the court every game. He abuses other point guards. Our freshman point guard totally embarrased the other teams best player! Think about it. Going into this game, our thinking is: if Tre holds his own, keeps Ponds from going off, we win. That was like throwing a no hitter against last years Red Sox.

I agree completely that Coby will have a long night against tre. But don't downplay Hagans now, the kid does it differently. You're right that his best moments come from off the ball pressure. He has good lengeth and speed that allows him to jump passing lanes and get steals. He moves his feet well while gaurding on ball too. The kid can play great D but most of it is half court and off the ball.

Tre uses everything at his disposal . it all starts with his stance . like a good defensive back he is low to the ground and his feet never stop moving. He slaps up at the ball not down to avoid getting the ghost foul and his eyes stay locked on the offensive players hips allowing him to move with the player. Tres fundamentals on defense are the beat I have seen in any ball player in quite sometime. But he adds his great instincts and timing to those fundamentals making him just a stud.

Hagans is good defender but I just see Tre as a much better defender. I don’t understand how he got snubbed from DPOTY

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT