ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

I think the value of talented freshman gets greatly diminished when guys are 24 years old and still able to take another COVID year. I’d say 2 of our freshman will definitely be solid (Flagg, Evans) and we will see with Maluach. His #3 ranking is based on projecting what he could be, will Duke get to see that elite ceiling of his?? He has a VERY wide range of outcomes IMO.

NGongba I suspect to not play much early on (or at all) as he is still recovering from injury. I’m not sold that Knueppel can play big time college basketball given his foot speed, and even worse if we need him to play 2 guard, hope I’m wrong. Harris can shoot and that’s it. All 3 of these guys would be great multi-year guys, but will that happen?

Someone above said it best. But are we hunting for a title or trying to position the program for years down the road? I want a title. Everyone can leave after that.
Gillis is the type of player that we have begged for. Physically mature, plus he played at a very solid school. Brown seems like a great addition too. We will see though. Now sprinkle in the freshmen. We have one that's said to be a generational talent, and one that if he improves, will be a great rim protector. As long as Proctor and Foster are better than they were this past season, this could be a really dangerous team, and there won't be too much pressure on the freshmen. Which is what we've all been begging for.

I think Jon has tried to make a title hunting team.

I see others referring to Flagg as a generational talent. My definition of generational talent is lebron, Jordan, Steph, magic, shaq, etc. I’m not sure cooper Flagg will be this type of player in his one year at Duke. More than any player, he will have the most pressure next year to perform at an elite level. Not only from Duke fans but he will also be the kid that opposing fans will single out. I think we need to calm our expectations for him. I think he is going to be good in his one year at Duke but he is not going to be as good as freshman banchero and carry us to a final four. We are going to need collective contributions.
Steph wasn’t considered that after his three seasons at Davidson either so don’t really know why you mentioned him . He became one due to his shooting over time in the league . Flagg supporting cast is like Paolo’s with maybe even more talent and shooting around him . A lot are under selling Mal, Brown, Evans and imo Harris and Knup. You got big Pat and even Gillis who can play some at the pf spot if needed. Unless the big is just too good to pass on . The only thing I see Duke adding is a combo guard to strengthen the back court .

Gillis is the type of player that we have begged for. Physically mature, plus he played at a very solid school. Brown seems like a great addition too. We will see though. Now sprinkle in the freshmen. We have one that's said to be a generational talent, and one that if he improves, will be a great rim protector. As long as Proctor and Foster are better than they were this past season, this could be a really dangerous team, and there won't be too much pressure on the freshmen. Which is what we've all been begging for.

I think Jon has tried to make a title hunting team.
And Proctor or Foster won’t be asked to score they will be asked more to defend and distribute . The floor opens up when you have to guard more then two positions and with what Duke can put on the floor today you will have to guard every position and if Mal is half as good in the post who do you choose to double from Duke?

We didn't get a portal 5 last summer and our entire frontcourt left anyway. Getting one more portal guard is not going to make a difference in guys staying or going. I don't consider Evans and K2 guards. They are wings that can fill in at guard if needed. I get Kon plays PG in high school but that is in Wisconsin. We just need one more guard even if it's for practice. Foster may still be in a boot. A guy like Blakes, but a better shooter. A guy who gets his role, not a guy like Poplar. The big guards in the portal have passed on us, so it will be a smaller name anyway. If the freshman are as good as advertised they will play.
It baffles me Blakes didn't stay. His role would've been different. He would've challenged every guard and wing in practice. One injury, he's playing 15 to 20 minutes. His liability was not always shooting. It was rhythm and role. He just didn't know. This year, it is strictly defense, and backup pg.

Last edited:
Duke didn’t get a portal five for two reasons. One the high caliber centers they went after couldn’t get through admissions and second , on paper Duke still had Reeves and Stewart with Flip . If Flip didn’t want to play in the front court he should have recruited his brother to transfer .
I don't know it for sure, but I bet he regrets not recruiting a 5.

Reactions: christophero
Steph wasn’t considered that after his three seasons at Davidson either so don’t really know why you mentioned him . He became one due to his shooting over time in the league . Flagg supporting cast is like Paolo’s with maybe even more talent and shooting around him . A lot are under selling Mal, Brown, Evans and imo Harris and Knup. You got big Pat and even Gillis who can play some at the pf spot if needed. Unless the big is just too good to pass on . The only thing I see Duke adding is a combo guard to strengthen the back court .
My point in including Steph is that he was a generational talent. He was one of the best talents of his generation. He is also the best shooter I’ve ever seen. He was not as a freshman. I agree with you. That was partly my point. Therefore, I am tempering my expectations. I hope I am wrong and Flagg is better than banchero. I am high on banchero because he didn’t play like a freshman. Tatum whom may be the best current Duke player played like a freshman at Duke.

Last edited:
People forget Steph's three years in the Association weren't that great. The changing of the rules and Monte Ellis having outside court problems propelled his career.

Reactions: sheyduke
Oh okay, let me explain. My point in including Steph is that he was a generational talent. He was one of the best talents of his generation. He is also the best shooter I’ve ever seen. He was not as a freshman. I agree with you. That was partly my point. Therefore, I am tempering my expectations. I hope I am wrong and Flagg is better than banchero. I am high on banchero because he didn’t play like a freshman. Tatum whom may be the best current Duke player played like a freshman at Duke.
I loved Banchero, and think he was one of the best of the oad kids. I understand why Coach K wanted to coach him before he retired. If Flagg is anywhere close to as good as he was, then this team could be really, really good.

People forget Steph's three years in the Association weren't that great. The changing of the rules and Monte Ellis having outside court problems propelled his career.
I’m not even a curry fan and here I am defending him. ( i grew up watching Reggie miller.) Is curry not the best 3pt shooter of all time?

Reactions: jamsession2
It baffles me Blakes didn't stay. His role would've been different. He would've challenged every guard and wing in practice. One injury, he's playing 15 to 20 minutes. His liability was not always shooting, it was rhythm and role. He just didn't know. This year, it is strictly defense, and backup pg.
I agree here. Why would he want to come off the bench somewhere else when he could at an elite program like Duke?

Reactions: DBM0828
With Roach and McCain and Schutt leaving Blakes would have gotten minutes. It's a shame we can't keep these program guys. Would Blakes even start at a Davidson type school? I get these guys have earned the right to move on but you have to keep some of these players.

With Roach and McCain and Schutt leaving Blakes would have gotten minutes. It's a shame we can't keep these program guys. Would Blakes even start at a Davidson type school? I get these guys have earned the right to move on but you have to keep some of these players.
It's what the kid wants. Blakes may believe the grass is May/June green. I just hope he does not a get hot July/August yellow/brown.

Reactions: DBM0828
RJ Davis is staying at North Carolina. Yay. How the hell do they keep first team all Americans?

Last edited:
I think Flagg will fall somewhere between Tatum and Paolo this season. His ability to get a bucket when we need it will be huge for us. That being said, I don't see him averaging more than 15 points a game, but I do see him on an all defense team. Our D should be elite this year, but what will our shooting look like? Gillis will help space the floor, I see a solid Grant Williams role for him there. It's our 2 guards shooting and ball protection that should compliment Flagg and not require him to be a generational talent for us to be great. I think he steps into a pretty advantageous situation.

Flagg will make everyone else better. He is a born leader and never stops working hard. He is an excellent passer and is very unselfish. He just wants to win.

It is no coincidence that his teams win (given that Montverde was absolutely stacked). Surrounded by talented players as he will be at Duke, he will help bring the best out of everyone.

I'm not sure his offensive game will make him a 20 point scorer all the time, but he will be very consistent and will not be afraid of big moments.

I think Cooper could make Duke 4 or 5 wins better than they would be without him. Just think what a difference that is--maybe between a 20th rated team and a 5th rated team.

I think Flagg will fall somewhere between Tatum and Paolo this season. His ability to get a bucket when we need it will be huge for us. That being said, I don't see him averaging more than 15 points a game, but I do see him on an all defense team. Our D should be elite this year, but what will our shooting look like? Gillis will help space the floor, I see a solid Grant Williams role for him there. It's our 2 guards shooting and ball protection that should compliment Flagg and not require him to be a generational talent for us to be great. I think he steps into a pretty advantageous situation.
15ppg and that D will be generational

I agree with all of this. I don’t know much about Gillis but I like the sound of that.

Reactions: dadecodevil
What does generational even mean? Best player in 10, 20 years? That seems like a stretch I am sure he will be good.

Blakes left because the same reason Goldwire did . They graduated and wanted to see if they could find a better place to get more minutes . After three years of hardly seeing any minutes I think the kid deserves to see what’s out there . To me , Blakes and Roach probably figured it was time for a change especially since they graduated .

What does generational even mean? Best player in 10, 20 years? That seems like a stretch I am sure he will be good.
Means a player who only comes along every so often and I’m sorry but at 6’9-10”, can play inside out and defend and listed as a sf who people only see as getting better and the projected number one pick that’s generational . You barely see a kid these days that can do everything, skip college and probably still be the number one overall pick .

Unfortunately RJ Davis did not think it was time for a change.
Where else was he going ? Sure he could have transferred but why ?it’s said Roach wants to be a coach so learning and playing in a different system doesn’t hurt( or making 1.5 million for six months ) . I don’t think anyone expected RJ to leave UNC .

Flagg will make everyone else better. He is a born leader and never stops working hard. He is an excellent passer and is very unselfish. He just wants to win.

It is no coincidence that his teams win (given that Montverde was absolutely stacked). Surrounded by talented players as he will be at Duke, he will help bring the best out of everyone.

I'm not sure his offensive game will make him a 20 point scorer all the time, but he will be very consistent and will not be afraid of big moments.

I think Cooper could make Duke 4 or 5 wins better than they would be without him. Just think what a difference that is--maybe between a 20th rated team and a 5th rated team.
Just put him in the best position to be successful.

Everybody wants another guard (me too) but you have currently 60 of 80 min locked up at those positions.. is a good-great guard happy with the remaining 20? That’s without factoring in kon, Harris, Evans playing anytime at the 2 when cooper will be 25 at the 3 and prob 5-10 at the 4.. these 3 freshmen (at least 2 of them will play)

I just don’t see the appeal of coming to Duke under those circumstances but I hope I’m wrong

Kobe Brea to Kentucky. Pope is doing well in the portal.
To me generational is a guy like AD or Carmelo who can will a team to a title.

Last edited:
Everybody wants another guard (me too) but you have currently 60 of 80 min locked up at those positions.. is a good-great guard happy with the remaining 20? That’s without factoring in kon, Harris, Evans playing anytime at the 2 when cooper will be 25 at the 3 and prob 5-10 at the 4.. these 3 freshmen (at least 2 of them will play)

I just don’t see the appeal of coming to Duke under those circumstances but I hope I’m wrong
If you go after a guard, it should be a combo freshman. Nothing more. The freshman must know their role.

Reactions: pisgah101
Kobe Brea to Kentucky. Pope is doing well in the portal.
To me generational is a guy like AD or Carmelo who can will a team to a title.
Did you say Anthony Davis ? He had an all star supporting class all starters averaged double digits and Davis only averaged 14 points, ten rebounds . Didn’t five or six of that team go in the first round ? Carmelo I agree.
Kentucky has an entire roster to fill. There are plenty of minutes to be had . Some need to look at how these schools are getting all these portal players, minutes available and NIL . If you got zero scholarship players and plenty of minutes and NIL and are also a blue blood always on tv your going to get players period . The issue is Duke is bringing in the number one recruiting class . The argument for available minutes is there from any portal player . You look at Gillis who has his masters degree imagine what Duke does for his scholastics. Some kids do not think the same . Still a lot of off season to go .

Last edited:
I was at that final four. Davis was dominant.
But he wasn’t generational ! It’s the championship game . Carmelo didn’t have five more first round draft picks helping him. Not to mention he plays now on the same team as Lebron and hasn’t won anything with them since the covid championship which can be debated .

Duke really needs to get another guard. Our backcourt is biggest weakness.
2015- Cook and Tyus
2010- Jon and Nolan
2001- JWill and Duhon

These teams had little after these guys. Unless some don’t have confidence in Foster and Proctor, I’m really not getting the “we are weak in the backcourt” talk by many. If anyone uses Grayson to argue, remember he was a late addition, and he made 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: pisgah101
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT