ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Look at what Kansas has done. They aren’t having any problems bringing in top portal players and are returning 3-4 starters including Dickinson. Cal at Arkansas is loading up. Indiana is loading up. We’ve got more minutes that we need filled than any of those schools outside of Arkansas.
A very rosy outlook that hasnt been true in any of the last few seasons...we beg for more players to play yet the minutes shrink and we end up playing 7-8 players at best...as a transfer i think players are looking to improve their visibility and wont risk being buried on a bench...thats why i dont think we are attractive to good transfers right now..happy to be wrong. If transfers do get the mins...then it means those high profile freshmen are sitting and they will leave the following season too...eg Stewart, Power etc...So it will be interesting to see which poison JS picks...because you cant serve both strategies.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Look at what Kansas has done. They aren’t having any problems bringing in top portal players and are returning 3-4 starters including Dickinson. Cal at Arkansas is loading up. Indiana is loading up. We’ve got more minutes that we need filled than any of those schools outside of Arkansas.
I agree 100%, same with UNC, UCONN and Kentucky. Those teams are adding the best talent and those players must not be worried about PT. I guess the question is Duke comfortable with Harris & Kon playing major minutes because right now one of them will have to be a major contributor ? I think the biggest difference between the teams mentioned in bmbritt post and mine are their rotation guys are mostly returning players or older. Duke rotation will include 6 freshman and I’m not sure how ready each of them are. I guess that is why I’m hoping for another good guard in portal.

Has Colgate transfer PG Braeden Smith been mentioned? The Patriot League MVP will be a junior, and stats were 13pts, 6rbs and 6asts per game last year.

It can be argued Smith would balk at less PT next year,yet he would be taking his game to a higher level.

OFC

In all honesty if we don’t have foster or proctor get hurt we’re set
Would it be crazy to see if there is a combo guard, or point guard that could graduate high school early? He could come to Duke with little expectations in year one but come in to give breathers and if someone gets hurt. Then year 2 have a real shot at playing time as PG, assuming Proctor leaves after this year.

Even if Foster stays a third season, that player would still have playing time available.

I hear the anticipation, but the roster does not fit the expectations. No experienced BIGs or backup guards.
Brown is a 6-9 junior. And Gillis has lots of experience on the wing. Proctor will be a junior. One more upperclassman guard and we should be good to go. Right now we are still a little too young. And really only Proctor from our team that played in the tournament. The Lively team was similar, but they also got taken out in the first weekend. If we could get a tough mature guard on the level of Gillis, then look out.

I think we land Wooga Poplar.

If not, there are still plenty of other guards. Max Shulga or KyKy Tandy wouldn't be terrible options.

Reactions: DBM0828
I think we land Wooga Poplar.

If not, there are still plenty of other guards. Max Shulga or KyKy Tandy wouldn't be terrible options.
Duke isn’t getting Poplar.

Some are still missing the point . I’ll be Blunt . If you bury these players on the bench and they don’t play it will be the same effect next year and your risk the Boozer twins looking elsewhere due to complete roster turn overs and then you risk showing how you don’t utilize your bench causing both highly rated recruits and portal players to look elsewhere. These schools stacking up portal players to get older will have the same issue every school has . There isn’t but five players allowed on the court at a time .

I don’t get it. No team is stacked with 9-10 really good players. You won’t develop chemistry trying to make everyone happy. Every team has a big drop off in talent after 4-5 players. UConn won every tournament game by double digits, yet only 7 guys were playing decent minutes.

That’s the way it is. Look at our title teams too. We were stacked with our starters, with a couple solid reserves.

I don’t get it. No team is stacked with 9-10 really good players. You won’t develop chemistry trying to make everyone happy. Every team has a big drop off in talent after 4-5 players. UConn won every tournament game by double digits, yet only 7 guys were playing decent minutes.

That’s the way it is. Look at our title teams too. We were stacked with our starters, with a couple solid reserves.
I agree up to a certain point. Player 7, 8, and 9 may be extremely solid, the challenge lies in the coach's ability to play them in meaningful minutes. Yes, it's about chemistry, but it's also about ability. Some teams play a certain type of defense that requires 8 to 9 player to play every game. Then there are moments when you know the health and offensive production isn't there, so you go to player 8 and 9 for a boost. Again, it's up to the coach and their philosophy.

Reactions: sheyduke

Some are still missing the point . I’ll be Blunt . If you bury these players on the bench and they don’t play it will be the same effect next year and your risk the Boozer twins looking elsewhere due to complete roster turn overs and then you risk showing how you don’t utilize your bench causing both highly rated recruits and portal players to look elsewhere. These schools stacking up portal players to get older will have the same issue every school has . There isn’t but five players allowed on the court at a time .
Shey, I came to this reality during the 2015 - 2016 season. Recruits watch who is coming in and where they will play. Furthermore, coaches will convince players they will play, however, when you look at the roster realism comes into play.

There are teams that consistently go 9-10 deep (e.g., Florida State under Hamilton & Auburn under Pearl), but you rarely see them make a deep run in the NCAAT.

Bingo...exactly my point but more blunt! lol

missing the point . I’ll be Blunt . If you bury these players on the bench and they don’t play it will be the same effect next year and your risk the Boozer twins looking elsewhere due to complete roster turn overs and then you risk showing how you don’t utilize your bench causing both highly rated recruits and portal players to look elsewhere. These schools stacking up portal players to get older will have the same issue every school has . There isn’t but five players allowed

Yes, I understand that. We still need another guard. We literally have two scholarship guards on the roster. I'm certain Knueppel/Evans will play some time at the 2; I think Knueppel could even handle the point. Still, we realistically need at least one more guard - to have someone who can guard a quick, smaller guard, if nothing else. And maybe it's not realistic for Poplar or Shulga or anyone noteworthy. But, it's gotta be somebody.

The reality is, players 9-13 are always going to want to transfer. You can't worry about who transfers because it's going to happen regardless.

We didn't get a portal 5 last summer and our entire frontcourt left anyway. Getting one more portal guard is not going to make a difference in guys staying or going. I don't consider Evans and K2 guards. They are wings that can fill in at guard if needed. I get Kon plays PG in high school but that is in Wisconsin. We just need one more guard even if it's for practice. Foster may still be in a boot. A guy like Blakes, but a better shooter. A guy who gets his role, not a guy like Poplar. The big guards in the portal have passed on us, so it will be a smaller name anyway. If the freshman are as good as advertised they will play.

Last edited:

I don't think anybody is really that swayed by the idea of being the 9th or 10th player in the rotation. Everyone has the confidence to contribute (initially).

Somebody name a Duke team that went 10 deep. I have no doubt that if needed, there is somebody on this roster that can bring the ball up and get them into the offense. Heck, somebody may want to take it on as a way to become even more attractive to the league. At some point you just have to say this is the gang we are bringing to the fight and this team will have some pretty good ammo.

We didn't get a portal 5 last summer and our entire frontcourt left anyway. Getting one more portal guard is not going to make a difference in guys staying or going. I don't consider Evans and K2 guards. They are wings that can fill in at guard if needed. I get Kon plays PG in high school but that is in Wisconsin. We just need one more guard even if it's for practice. Foster may still be in a boot. A guy like Blakes, but a better shooter. A guy who gets his role, not a guy like Poplar. The big guards in the portal have passed on us, so it will be a smaller name anyway. If the freshman are as good as advertised they will play.
Duke didn’t get a portal five for two reasons. One the high caliber centers they went after couldn’t get through admissions and second , on paper Duke still had Reeves and Stewart with Flip . If Flip didn’t want to play in the front court he should have recruited his brother to transfer .

Somebody name a Duke team that went 10 deep. I have no doubt that if needed, there is somebody on this roster that can bring the ball up and get them into the offense. Heck, somebody may want to take it on as a way to become even more attractive to the league. At some point you just have to say this is the gang we are bringing to the fight and this team will have some pretty good ammo.

The last time that happened smash was the 10-11 season before Kyrie went down in the game against Butler.

Frankly I don’t understand stopping now with what we got. We have 2 guards total. We could have 20 elite guys on the roster and if we only had 2 guards, we would need another guard!

Injuries WILL happen, that’s just how it is today with kids playing 963 AAU games a year for 10 years straight, bodies will break down during the season.

Haven’t seen a lot of smoke around him but I think Wooga Poplar is actually EXACTLY what we need (provided he’s okay coming off the bench). A microwave scorer who can get hot and score 25 and single handedly win you a game. And honestly if Foster can’t do much this summer as far as getting in shape, Poplar may be better than him throughout most of next season. He’s also a better offensive player than Proctor at this stage of their careers.

We’re in a new era. Anyone seen Kansas loading up, they got 8-10 LEGIT guys for next year. Many of Dukes great teams have had holes, last year it was not getting a portal 5. The portal can eliminate those holes that couldn’t be fixed in the past. Let’s not make the same mistake again this year.

I guess the question does Duke want to contend for a Title. If so you get the needed player in the portal just like other teams mentioned before. Those teams like Kansas are forming a team to win it all. Could Duke win it with the current roster, possibly due to the talent they have but there is still question marks. Players will transfer anyways that is what college basketball has turned into, there is too much money being thrown around to not look. Do you waste a season because you are afraid of someone transferring next season or do you put the best team you can get? Either way I think Duke is short a good guard right now and very similar to last season missing a 5 or rim protector. I who hate to see Duke miss out because they were missing that one piece again.

It’s only May people . Calm down there is still 300 guards in the portal uncommitted and some that still have to withdrawal from the draft . Good lord we act like we need someone to commit today or it’s the end of the world .

I think we are responding to the ones that don’t want to add anymore players or that think there isn’t minutes available for a portal guard. I don’t think anyone was looking for a commitment today. We are just hoping that Duke is able to bring in another guard to this roster.

Did many of you guys lose confidence in freshmen? Are we saying the #1 overall recruit, and the #3, who happens to be 7-1, 250 are going to be busts? I’d say four of the freshmen will be very solid. They won’t be asked to carry the load though.

This freshmen class will have what many of K’s freshmen heavy teams his last several years didn’t have, and that’s experience.

Jon has really tried to put a good team together. On paper, this team is primed to make a run. Maybe find a backup (insurance) point guard.

Did many of you guys lose confidence in freshmen? Are we saying the #1 overall recruit, and the #3, who happens to be 7-1, 250 are going to be busts? I’d say four of the freshmen will be very solid. They won’t be asked to carry the load though.

This freshmen class will have what many of K’s freshmen heavy teams his last several years didn’t have, and that’s experience.

Jon has really tried to put a good team together. On paper, this team is primed to make a run. Maybe find a backup (insurance) point guard.
I think the value of talented freshman gets greatly diminished when guys are 24 years old and still able to take another COVID year. I’d say 2 of our freshman will definitely be solid (Flagg, Evans) and we will see with Maluach. His #3 ranking is based on projecting what he could be, will Duke get to see that elite ceiling of his?? He has a VERY wide range of outcomes IMO.

NGongba I suspect to not play much early on (or at all) as he is still recovering from injury. I’m not sold that Knueppel can play big time college basketball given his foot speed, and even worse if we need him to play 2 guard, hope I’m wrong. Harris can shoot and that’s it. All 3 of these guys would be great multi-year guys, but will that happen?

Someone above said it best. But are we hunting for a title or trying to position the program for years down the road? I want a title. Everyone can leave after that.

I see others referring to Flagg as a generational talent. My definition of generational talent is lebron, Jordan, Steph, magic, shaq, etc. I’m not sure cooper Flagg will be this type of player in his one year at Duke. More than any player, he will have the most pressure next year to perform at an elite level. Not only from Duke fans but he will also be the kid that opposing fans will single out. I think we need to calm our expectations for him. I think he is going to be good in his one year at Duke but he is not going to be as good as freshman banchero and carry us to a final four. We are going to need collective contributions.

Someone on DBR mentioned we have been a player short of a title team since 2015.
I can’t argue with this. If Grayson is one year younger or Zion is one year older, that team definitely gets a championship. If banchero is on several of those teams, we win a championship.

Reactions: christophero
I see others referring to Flagg as a generational talent. My definition of generational talent is lebron, Jordan, Steph, magic, shaq, etc. I’m not sure cooper Flagg will be this type of player in his one year at Duke. More than any player, he will have the most pressure next year to perform at an elite level. Not only from Duke fans but he will also be the kid that opposing fans will single out. I think we need to calm our expectations for him. I think he is going to be good in his one year at Duke but he is not going to be as good as freshman banchero and carry us to a final four. We are going to need collective contributions.

Ehh.. I’m not sure Flagg will be the guys listed above but I do believe his impact on the game will be much more than his numbers suggest. (He will definitely be better than Steph curry was as a freshman in college) What he is elite at doesn’t show up in the box score: positional defense, shot blocking but keeping the ball in play, making the extra pass. The dude is a winner.

He won’t have Zion type numbers, but Zion didn’t do much else to contribute to winning besides score and rebound. And Zion is my favorite Duke OAD btw. Flagg does the little things that equate to winning.

I also don’t believe Banchero carried us to a final 4. He scored 17, 19, 22, 16, and 20 during our run, super consistent no doubt but we don’t get out of the sweet 16 without Jeremy Roach. I felt Banchero coasted throughout the year and left a bit to be desired, due to how insanely talented he was. Flagg is ranked everywhere as a better prospect than Banchero ever was, so we will see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT