ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Living in Alabama one can’t help but follow the football programs. It’s uncanny how well Saban developed players physically from age 18 to 20/21. Within 2-3 years players would develop 10-15-20-30 lbs depending on position. The players would be both stronger, bigger, and faster. Just because a kid is 18-19-20 doesn’t mean he can’t get significantly stronger and more physical over 2-3 years. Bull is not necessarily an issue (though if one is getting stronger that will come and if it’s a 3-4-5 bulk without the loss of speed or quickness can be an advantage). But the main thing is physicality. That is important because you can physically wear down a team. No matter how competitive a 180 lb player is, he’s not going to match up with a player who is 205 and just about as quick. Especially the way the game is called these days which allows a ton of contact. You have to have significant strength to stop drives in D and to drive the lane and get inside.
Steroids can do wonders for strength and weight gain. Just saying. 😉

A Proctor/Foster starting backcourt works for me! I feel like Foster will have a chip on his shoulder after sitting out most of this year. If we get a more consistent Proctor next season, look out!! As someone said, I think next year's team is a better fit for him!

I also think this confirms that Roach is gone as most of us have been saying all along. With Blakes out, I think we need another backup guard. I do think that's a tough find in the portal though. Who wants to come to Duke to be the 4th guard?

And I'm with Chris, I would take another Theo John in a heartbeat from the portal. Man, I loved the way he played!

A Proctor/Foster starting backcourt works for me! I feel like Foster will have a chip on his shoulder after sitting out most of this year. If we get a more consistent Proctor next season, look out!! As someone said, I think next year's team is a better fit for him!

I also think this confirms that Roach is gone as most of us have been saying all along. With Blakes out, I think we need another backup guard. I do think that's a tough find in the portal though. Who wants to come to Duke to be the 4th guard?

And I'm with Chris, I would take another Theo John in a heartbeat from the portal. Man, I loved the way he played!
This is why I wanted a Senior Blakes. Chemistry and Experienced Personnel are huge down the stretch. Bringing in a new person can be good, but knowing the system is even better. Hopefully, two of our new wings can step in and play the guard. This will allow either Foster or Proctor to play PG with the second unit or due to injury.

Theo was a 5th year senior who was an able starter at any given time. Wojo consulted him on what to expect coming to Duke. He was mature. Like Young, he wanted to be at Duke and was not concerned about being called a 'starter'. Yes, you get one of those, and Duke is rolling. A Theo John type of player would've been a great mentor for Mark or Christian.

I just wish we could keep guys. Assuming Roach is gone, we will be looking for guys like Roach, Blakes, Reeves and Mitchell in the portal. It's really hard to have quality depth when the Blakes and the Goldwires want to start elsewhere. I realize it's a problem everywhere. Getting a big elite recruiting class is great, but it seems to be sending other guys to the portal.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
I just wish we could keep guys. Assuming Roach is gone, we will be looking for guys like Roach, Blakes, Reeves and Mitchell in the portal. It's really hard to have quality depth when the Blakes and the Goldwires want to start elsewhere. I realize it's a problem everywhere. Getting a big elite recruiting class is great, but it seems to be sending other guys to the portal.
To be fair , two of the transfers you could argue left due to competing for minutes( Reeves and Blakes ) .
There are a lot of factors on why players enter the portal . I’m starting to see where some players in the portal average ten points or better . It could be that players at smaller schools realize they can play at this level where as you have players like Mitchel who leave because they aren’t happy with their progression .

I agree. Going after the best players is nice, but if they only stay 1-2 years are they really the best players? Sometimes, but guys like AJ, Keels, Cam etc are not. Seems like getting a guy for 2 years is the sweet spot, but that had mixed results. I think McCain had to go, but I can't help thinking those are the guys you need back to win a natty. Proctor back is nice; but he's only back because his stock nosedived. I am interested to see what Roach does, we should know this week.

Last edited:

Amari Williams from Drexel fits the Theo John mold. Would love if Duke can snag him. I was in the camp Duke was only going to return two of Proctor, Foster, and Roach. All 3 of them are good starting college guards and Duke is not going to start 3 guards this season with the size the roster has to offer.

I’ve always been a fan of Roach. He will be a very good player wherever he chooses to play (assuming he enters the transfer portal). I’ll be rooting for him as long as he is not playing against Duke haha. I would like to see Roach play at:

Gonzaga
Baylor
Tennessee
Houston
Alabama

If Roach doesn’t stay at Duke I want him to go to a contender (that is not a blue blood).

Sean is the one player who may or may not stay that I REALLY want to stay, mostly out of curiosity. The young man seems to have incredible potential and upside. The question is, will he be able to put it all together and become a complete player? I think he does, and I 100% want him in a Duke uniform when he does!!

Amari Williams from Drexel fits the Theo John mold. Would love if Duke can snag him. I was in the camp Duke was only going to return two of Proctor, Foster, and Roach. All 3 of them are good starting college guards and Duke is not going to start 3 guards this season with the size the roster has to offer.

I’ve always been a fan of Roach. He will be a very good player wherever he chooses to play (assuming he enters the transfer portal). I’ll be rooting for him as long as he is not playing against Duke haha. I would like to see Roach play at:

Gonzaga
Baylor
Tennessee
Houston
Alabama

If Roach doesn’t stay at Duke I want him to go to a contender (that is not a blue blood).
imo, I think if roach leaves, I dont believe its to play somewhere else, i think he goes pro if he leaves...shoots his shot at the league and eventual gleague/overseas

lol at anyone surprised at the Kentucky players leaving . Arkansas just gave Calipari 5million in NIL money and he has no players on scholarship. They switching from one SEC school to another .

imo, I think if roach leaves, I dont believe its to play somewhere else, i think he goes pro if he leaves...shoots his shot at the league and eventual gleague/overseas

Boogie, would love for Roach to carve out a role in the NBA like Quinn Cook was able to. Their games are eerily similar!

Schutt transferring out is very interesting
To me this one was obvious, just like Reeves. 4 star, with similar players coming in as freshman. PROCTOR AND FOSTER returning. There's position 1-2... I think it was a good agreement for him and Jon, that he redshirted to save eligibility while he was injured, get the best Duke medical treatment and transfer... could be wrong, but that's what it looked like... We better do some great things in the portal. I mean Some GREAT things... Tyson from Belmont, Drexel big man, a quick and slashing point guard, or another 3 point shooter... cause this roster has to be filled out and maxed out with potential and efficiency.

Looks like all the blue blood schools are going hard for the transfers, especially unc they are setting up visit. It's all quiet at duke front , we need some experience players or will be just like last couple years.

Duke is on the verge of becoming a dinosaur. Teams of predominantly freshman will not cut it today's game.

Why is it that everyone needs to announce they’re coming back? Strange times with this nil stuff. He’s coming back, it’s why he posted year 1 done with Duke pictures
These days, they post if they are coming back or not, just the way of the landscape. Hence why I asked

lol at anyone surprised at the Kentucky players leaving . Arkansas just gave Calipari 5million in NIL money and he has no players on scholarship. They switching from one SEC school to another .

Kentucky just got 4 million from one donor themselves. They will get transfers.

It's looking like more guys are going to hit the portal from Duke. Looking like a brand new team next year.

I am hoping Power is not next. Most of our depth is going out the door. Hearing Malik Brown from Syracuse is visiting. 6-8.

Last edited:
I am hearing Mitchell may go to Kansas State.
Either KSU or Mizzou.
To me this one was obvious, just like Reeves. 4 star, with similar players coming in as freshman. PROCTOR AND FOSTER returning. There's position 1-2... I think it was a good agreement for him and Jon, that he redshirted to save eligibility while he was injured, get the best Duke medical treatment and transfer... could be wrong, but that's what it looked like... We better do some great things in the portal. I mean Some GREAT things... Tyson from Belmont, Drexel big man, a quick and slashing point guard, or another 3 point shooter... cause this roster has to be filled out and maxed out with potential and efficiency.
We are fading with Tyson from what I’ve heard. It’s either UNC or UT for Tyson.

Reactions: christophero
Sorry, folks. I'm ashamed to admit that I posted on this thread. No more. This transfer portal nonsense is incredibly out of control. Maybe designed to keep idiots like me interested in Hoops for a longer period of time? Who knows? But it is horrible.
OFC

Reactions: jamsession2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT