ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Proctor needs to hit the weight room, and develop his mid range/3 pt shooting or be better at dribble penetration...so while its nice to return him as a Junior...there is significant improvement needed in the off season IMO...I'm a show me kind of guy....we've been down this road before and seen no improvement in Soph-jnr players

Proctor needs to hit the weight room, and develop his mid range/3 pt shooting or be better at dribble penetration...so while its nice to return him as a Junior...there is significant improvement needed in the off season IMO...I'm a show me kind of guy....we've been down this road before and seen no improvement in Soph-jnr players
I agree with denverexpat. While I'll never turn down a returning starter, I wish we can get someone that can break down a defense with a drive to the basket. Going to the basket opens up things even if they miss. I just haven't seen that with Proctor. Can that be Foster if he returns? This was something Roach was pretty good at when he was healthy.

Excited Rob Riggle GIF by ABC Network

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Next season is better fit for Proctor . You have three legit frontcourt players and shooters . All he needs to do is dish assist and the lanes will open . Proctor is better fit for a true uptempo lob threat offense . He can break down defenses it’s his confidence he needs to work on and many forget he was one of the best guard defenders all last season .

Next season is better fit for Proctor . You have three legit frontcourt players and shooters . All he needs to do is dish assist and the lanes will open . Proctor is better fit for a true uptempo lob threat offense . He can break down defenses it’s his confidence he needs to work on and many forget he was one of the best guard defenders all last season .
We need a little more consistency on Rese's outside shot as well. No stats here to support it, but Proctor seemed to shoot a bit better in the friendly confines of Cameron.

OFC

Tyrese and Caleb is a dream back court in my opinion. Caleb shot over 40% from 3 last year and I think Proctor can get to that level as well. And they can be a shut down defensive backcourt. Need one more guard--Roach or a transfer.

Guess we will find out next week what Roach and Foster are doing. We need one of those guys back or we'd have to get an elite guard in the portal. If both return Roach could be our super 6th man.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
I think you guys need to give up the notion of Foster and Roach returning. It’s one or the other. I see no chance that either will come off the bench.
I think the better play is Foster. He’s taller, a much better ball handler, and has more upside. Roach gave us four solid years.

Last edited:
I think you guys need to give up the notion of Proctor and Roach returning. It’s one or the other. I see no chance that either will come off the bench.
I think the better play is Proctor. He’s taller, a much better ball handler, and has more upside. Roach gave us four solid years.
Even if Roach returns you loose Foster possibly . There is not enough balls to go around . I don’t see Foster wanting to come off the bench

So here is what we firmly know so far? (Please correct me on anyone I’m missing)

Duke 2024/2025 Roster:

Tyrese Proctor 6’5
Isaiah Evans 6’6
Darren Harris 6’6
Kon Knueppel 6’5
Cooper Flagg 6’9
Khaman Malachi 7’2
Patrick Ngongba 6’11

Love that size across the board! WOW!

Unknowns to be confirmed:

Caleb Foster
Jeremy Roach
Jaden Schutt
TJ Power
Sean Stewart

Anyone in the portal that could be on Scheyer’s radar I wonder?

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Blakes hitting the portal per his Instagram. Best of luck to him. He gave us 3 years; never could seem to put it all together. Interesting to see where he ends up and how he does. Other than Roach people seem to be allergic to becoming seniors at Duke. He did graduate in 3 years, so good for him. Good kid and student who always played hard.

Last edited:
So here is what we firmly know so far? (Please correct me on anyone I’m missing)

Duke 2024/2025 Roster:

Tyrese Proctor 6’5
Isaiah Evans 6’6
Darren Harris 6’6
Kon Knueppel 6’5
Cooper Flagg 6’9
Khaman Malachi 7’2
Patrick Ngongba 6’11

Love that size across the board! WOW!

Unknowns to be confirmed:

Caleb Foster
Jeremy Roach
Jaden Schutt
TJ Power
Sean Stewart

Anyone in the portal that could be on Scheyer’s radar I wonder?
I definitely feel Jon is being more active in the portal this year. Also, in agreement with @Mac9192 - think we've seen last of Jeremy at Duke. Look for him to announce his departure early next week, and have his OWN day for farewells. Hopefully Caleb announces his return shortly thereafter.

OFC

I will be very surprised if Duke gets both Foster and Roach back. I think only one returns. Would love to be wrong and only request pepper with my crow if I am wrong.

I definitely feel Jon is being more active in the portal this year. Also, in agreement with @Mac9192 - think we've seen last of Jeremy at Duke. Look for him to announce his departure early next week, and have his OWN day for farewells. Hopefully Caleb announces his return shortly thereafter.

OFC

And Caleb is 6’5, this would be a big Duke team across every position if he is back with Proctor. Love that!

Blakes hitting the portal per his Instagram. Best of luck to him. He gave us 3 years, never could seem to put it all together. Interesting to see where he ends up and how he does. Other than Roach people seem to be allergic to becoming seniors at Duke. He did graduate in 3 years, so good for him.

Just never could score. Can play good D though.

Completely agree. We are totally on the same page in this. It seems to me that Duke basketball should have a strong weight program to develop these guys. But it rarely seems to happen. I don’t know why they don’t get these guys stronger?

Not that it is the exact same thing as it is a different sport, but when you look at the Alabama football program, for the past 15 years, they take guys who come in as freshman and by the time they are juniors, they are bigger, faster, and stronger, and often gain 15 to 30 pounds of muscle. Consistently the entire team. There is no doubt that Duke could really do that with the whole team. I know players have a lot more control about where they play these days but a coach and the training staff have to be able to convince the player that if you gain 15 pounds of muscle, you’re going to be a heck of a better player and you may even increase, your quickness and speed at the same time! as well as strength in shooting.

Sometimes it seems as though Duke basketball is living in the 70s when it was thought that if you lifted weights, it would somehow make you less quick and hurt your shooting or overall game. That has obviously been disproven. Just look at Steph Curry these days relative to when he was a young player. One would think that the basketball program would absolutely be on the cutting edge in terms of physical development of players; yet year after year Duke players do not increase their physicality or do so very little.

I just don’t get it.

My guess is Roach transfers/goes pro in Europe/G League and Foster stays, but stranger things have happened.

Hope so. That’s what I want. Foster can have a much bigger impact than Roach. We know what Roach is. We’ve seen him for four years. He’s pretty much been the same player the last three years. But Foster has way more upside and is a better overall player and point guard. I would be pushing hard for him to come back if I were Jon.

Reactions: t-towndomer
You don’t need to bulk up . You simply need to play with confidence and believe as a team you can achieve. Hard work put beats talent every time . These kids need to know no matter what Duke is ranked or not ranked teams will bring it . Duke needs to put the fear back in its opponents. I remember when it wasn’t the scoring of Duke that scared teams ! It was the floor slapping get in your stance on defense that teams hated to play against.

If Roach decides to leave we need to hit the portal. That would be Flip, Mitchell, Young, Roach, and Blakes. That is a lot of experience out the door.

Foster looked at least an inch taller than Proctor in a recent picture. He's tall. If he hadn't gotten hurt he could have been OAD.
I'm bored so watching the Duke Texas Tech sweet 16 game from 2 years ago. My goodness that team was good. Roach looks like a different player, he is dropping dimes to Mark Williams. That team was national title good. They were a bit suspect on D; which was likely our undoing. Banchero seemed to save his energy for offense. Theo John is just a warrior; we need a guy like that.

Last edited:
Foster looked at least an inch taller than Proctor in a recent picture. He's tall. If he hadn't gotten hurt he could have been OAD.
I don’t agree with this . Foster hurt his stock coming out of high school as simply just a combo guard . He needed his first and second year to show he can run the pg position and wasn’t just a scorer . It took him time to find his shot and like Proctor he needs to attack of the dribble .

Living in Alabama one can’t help but follow the football programs. It’s uncanny how well Saban developed players physically from age 18 to 20/21. Within 2-3 years players would develop 10-15-20-30 lbs depending on position. The players would be both stronger, bigger, and faster. Just because a kid is 18-19-20 doesn’t mean he can’t get significantly stronger and more physical over 2-3 years. Bull is not necessarily an issue (though if one is getting stronger that will come and if it’s a 3-4-5 bulk without the loss of speed or quickness can be an advantage). But the main thing is physicality. That is important because you can physically wear down a team. No matter how competitive a 180 lb player is, he’s not going to match up with a player who is 205 and just about as quick. Especially the way the game is called these days which allows a ton of contact. You have to have significant strength to stop drives in D and to drive the lane and get inside.

Reactions: DBM0828
...Saban developed players physically from age 18 to 20/21. Within 2-3 years players would develop 10-15-20-30 lbs depending on position. The players would be both stronger, bigger, and faster. Just because a kid is 18-19-20 doesn’t mean he can’t get significantly stronger and more physical over 2-3 years...
Not a doctor, but I think football coaches look for players that are genetically predisposed to gain weight and muscle mass.

Strength does not have to be gaining muscle mass...it usually helps but you can be lean and strong...farm strong...it gives confidence to go into contact...i think that is what proctor needs...

Reactions: dukesince91
Alabama may be the best but honestly all power 5 (4?) football teams do that. And probably non power 5 too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT