ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal thread

I won’t believe the Reeves hype until I see it in a meaningful game, I put no stock into garbage time of blowouts. I would love for him to be great, I just don’t want to waste a season where we are loaded with veterans and talent.

I wouldn't call it hype by saying that Reeves may be ahead of Young, but to each their own. Also, by that logic you must've had low expectations for Zion, Jah, RJ, Bagley, Tatum, etc.

I'm not expecting anything close to greatness from Reeves, I just think his potential is much higher than Young, especially on the defensive end due to his length and size. He's 7'1 245 and likely getting stronger. Also, players tend to make a decent jump in year 2. I may be completely wrong, but I'm betting he can be a decent contributor next year if healthy.

I suspect Young may have been injured down the stretch. His playing time diminished due to Lively's time increasing, but he seemed less effective. This is a guy that put up 20 and 10 against BC. Hopefully a year in the Duke system will allow Young to give us more next year. Better conditioning too as he seemed to get winded.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it hype by saying that Reeves may be ahead of Young, but to each their own. Also, by that logic you must've had low expectations for Zion, Jah, RJ, Bagley, Tatum, etc.

I'm not expecting anything close to greatness from Reeves, I just think his potential is much higher than Young, especially on the defensive end due to his length and size. He's 7'1 245 and likely getting stronger. Also, players tend to make a decent jump in year 2. I may be completely wrong, but I'm betting he can be a decent contributor next year if healthy.

Reeves in March may be a much different player than Reeves in November, if he is healthy and gets even 7-10 minutes per game. And I like a team peaking in March.

I suspect Young may have been injured down the stretch. His playing time diminished due to Lively's time increasing, but he seemed less effective. This is a guy that put up 20 and 10 against BC. Hopefully a year in the Duke system will allow Young to give us more next year. Better conditioning too as he seemed to get winded.

The higher level of competition was a factor.

Reactions: christophero

I think some on here are underselling Duke’s strength and conditioning program. Duke’s players seem to get bigger and stronger with each season they spend at Duke. With this said, no reason to not think the trend will continue. At the moment, Duke has 3 centers in Reeves, Young, and Stewart. Flip will play center in spurts as well, remember he was the only big at times for Duke as a freshman. Flip likes to mix it up as well and there is no reason to think he wont become tougher. Remember Singler from his Freshman to Senior season?

Trust in Jon and the coaching staff, they improved throughout last season. No reason to not have confidence in the team they are constructing.

I had high expectations for Zion and all of those guys because they were highly ranked 5 star recruits. Reeves was not.

I guess I should have clarified that, but would have assumed it was fairly obvious.

Barnes made Duke try to play bully ball against his volunteers and his vols were superior at playing bully ball. Hopefully with the depth and different looks Coach Scheyer can put on the floor, he will make the opposition try to match up with Duke’s style of play. I’m optimistic we will see Coach Scheyer and the rest of the coaching staff grow some more this upcoming season. Have faith all.

Barnes made Duke try to play bully ball against his volunteers and his vols were superior at playing bully ball. Hopefully with the depth and different looks Coach Scheyer can put on the floor, he will make the opposition try to match up with Duke’s style of play. I’m optimistic we will see Coach Scheyer and the rest of the coaching staff grow some more this upcoming season. Have faith all.
We did not have any Bullies last year. Maybe this year we've learned how to control the schoolyard.

Say what you will about Barnes; however, he will always have a small place in my heart as a result of his hatred for Dean Smith. His confrontration with Deano during a televised Clempsum/UNCheat game was a classic. OFC

Say what you will about Barnes; however, he will always have a small place in my heart as a result of his hatred for Dean Smith. His confrontration with Deano during a televised Clempsum/UNCheat game was a classic. OFC
DI, I have very fond memories of Barnes feuding with El Deano. He was one of the few coaches to man up to Dean. OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
I don't like Barnes, but he did what he had to do to beat us. Those freshman will be sophmores so they will be ready..

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
Another reason Duke was going after a portal center is because Flip or Reeves will not be 100 percent at the start of the season. Meaning you are rolling out with possibly young and Mitchell or Stewart and Mitchell.
One of those guys get injured and the only other big is Powers. So your looking at two frosh in the front court .

I thought I heard Flip would be 100% by November...has that changed? Not sure about Reeves but you have to think ankle surgery wouldn't be 6-7 months recovery?

With the way it was officiated, I do not know what can be taken from the UT game. Yes, we need to toughen up, but the refs were flat out bad and seemed to be one sided. No one watching that game, even taking out fouls at the end of the game, would ever think Duke should have been called for more fouls. And how the hell do you call nothing on the inside but a freaking guard was in foul trouble?

We need to toughen up, but Tennessee was an extreme example we may never see in a few lifetimes. For such a young team, I think we showed plenty toughness. If anything, we need someone to be like this person in this song (except for the sad end) by Warren Zevon if someone pulls a Tennessee.

With the way it was officiated, I do not know what can be taken from the UT game. Yes, we need to toughen up, but the refs were flat out bad and seemed to be one sided. No one watching that game, even taking out fouls at the end of the game, would ever think Duke should have been called for more fouls. And how the hell do you call nothing on the inside but a freaking guard was in foul trouble?

We need to toughen up, but Tennessee was an extreme example we may never see in a few lifetimes. For such a young team, I think we showed plenty toughness. If anything, we need someone to be like this person in this song (except for the sad end) by Warren Zevon if someone pulls a Tennessee.

Some act like we need to completely overhaul our roster and recruiting strategy based on that one game, and it was painful to see our guys pushed around, especially in the 2 half when they’d had time to adjust. However, the guys will get stronger as they mature physically and the officiating was historically bad. Hopefully, the game was just an outlier If we can get a Zoubek or Theo John in the portal I’m all for it though

I thought I heard Flip would be 100% by November...has that changed? Not sure about Reeves but you have to think ankle surgery wouldn't be 6-7 months recovery?
Thought I read flip would miss all of preseason . So I thought that would include off season work outs as well . Might have read the article wrong .

Thought I read flip would miss all of preseason . So I thought that would include off season work outs as well . Might have read the article wrong .
Gotcha. I believe I heard he will certainly miss most of the summer programs, but he'd be good to go by October. I pray he is

Reactions: sheyduke
I thought I had read it was the same (or similar) to Tre Jones surgery between Fresh/Soph year. Tre was back in plenty of time, so hopefully that is correct. I'm not really certain with Reeves. He needs as much time as possible to develop/get stronger/quicker, etc. Hoping he is able to participate during the summer.

Some act like we need to completely overhaul our roster and recruiting strategy based on that one game, and it was painful to see our guys pushed around, especially in the 2 half when they’d had time to adjust. However, the guys will get stronger as they mature physically and the officiating was historically bad. Hopefully, the game was just an outlier If we can get a Zoubek or Theo John in the portal I’m all for it though
It’s not that, necessarily. The biggest factor in that game was the age difference. The next biggest factor was Mitchell being out. Tennessee came out playing much more aggressively. They set the tone. It’s easy to blame the refs, but the sad truth is that Scheyer isn’t going to be immediately benefitted by a kind whistle. So, they pushed us around like they were bigger and stronger. Because they were.

Getting guys to stick around is the best cure for this. But, filling in holes with transfers is now the way of it. Center is our one true weakness. Maybe it’s not as debilitating as some may think. But man… it would just be nice. We’re a greedy lot. Deservedly so.

Reactions: KDSTONE
If the roster is set;
1. Proctor/freshman pg/Blakes
2. Roach/Schutt
3. Freshman SG/Power
4. Mitchell /Stewart
5. Flip , Young, Reeves
We could start Young or Stewart if we want to go big. I don't think Reeves is ready to start, so without a transfer I think Flip plays the 5. We could play Stewart at the 4 or 5, move Mitchell to the 3, or Power, if those guys are ready right away.
That is a very good team, but we need one more big body!
If Stewart is a day one stud, that is sufficient. But is he?

I think the dead period ends today? I do think that he takes a couple more visits. That I can tell, all is quite on the portal front for Duke so who knows.
I would think we'll know more by the NDA draft withdraw date of 5/31. If some names withdraw, perhaps we offer a big man grad transfer. If we don't I'm ok with it, but would prefer a big man if he checks the boxes.

I wouldn't want to add someone for the sake of adding someone, but a good defender, rebounder, would go a long way for this team.

Reactions: 9dukejames
Our offense is going to be lethal with Flip at the 5. Interior defense quality remains to be seen. If Stewart's ready I think he can be really helpful there (I still don't think Reeves will play much). I love the different guys we can throw out there at that 3rd guard / forward spot. Think Foster and Power can be instant impact guys next year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT