ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal thread

I am not discounting that. Hey, I hope he takes off in year two. But the reality is he will be a big off-the-bench next season who we all hope can contribute significantly. Why else do you think we're going so hard for a starting 5 in the transfer portal?
I’m getting you on a hot dog and Coors light diet to boost your optimism.

UConn's Adama Sanogo is pretty darn good. One of the better bigs that a lot of people don't know about at 6'9, 245 and averaged 17.1 and 7.5 a game this season.

I really like Norchad Omier for Miami, and he's not a traditional big and is undersized inside but what he does works for them. 6'7, 248 lbs. 13.3 a game and 10.1 boards. A lot of little things he does, timing on defensive plays, etc.

So in answer to your question I would throw out Sanogo. I'm torn on that game as far as my thoughts on how it will go. UConn is far more overpowering inside but Miami is a bitch to play against with all those ball handlers and shooters. They'll spread the Huskies out and make them work. I noticed ESPN gives Huskies a 76% chance to win. In this insane tournament can you give anyone that big a chance?

Can't speak for others but probably safe to say that most Duke fans are pulling for Miami. There's traditionally no love loss in the ACC but who wants the Huskies to tie Duke in Titles in only their sixth Final Four? Kind of disgusting but it is what it is. One of the rare times Kentucky and Duke fans will probably lock arms for a game LMAO) They've prevented two Duke titles but they've also prevented two Kentucky titles. I'm convinced that the Championship game is Saturday night at 9, I just don't see SDSU or FAU cutting any nets Monday, I think Cinderella's slipper shatters into a zillion pieces after that first semi-final game is over.
Yea UConn’s big is good but no one knew him until mid-season. I think too many are envisioning Jah or Wendell Carter here, teams can definitely make it to the FF without these types of guys.

The Dayton kid would start over Young or Reeves.
I wouldn’t say that . This isn’t the A-10( isn’t that Dayton’s conference ?). I think he’s insurance as well. Duke saw two potential starters injured before preseason began . No reason not to think Reeves couldn’t start . It’s a long off season and he has Young to work with .

Reactions: jamsession3
The Dayton kid is 40th on a mock draft. Dayton nearly made the tournament and won 22 games. If you think Reeves is better than that I'll have what you're having. Reeves is going to be good eventually.
I see two different players with one older and more experienced. That said, reeves will surprise some of y’all.

I just hope it's not because Flip is leaving. We don't usually get that level of transfer. (I'm a worrier its what I do) But so far fantastic news.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fourteen44
Really?
FR: Big East (BE) all-freshman team
SO: All BE 1st team; finalist for Jabbar award
JR: preseason BE POY
In national talks? Nah. Again what teams have “final four bigs”? Uconn?

Miami? Lol. SDSU? Come on now.

He was well - known. If you follow college basketball you knew his potential and production.
Again back to my original point above:

In fairness though, do these final 4 teams have a front court better than that? Uconn maybe? Reeves will be fine and I bet if he stays he’ll make a nice impact next year.

I remember y’all saying at beginning of season how uconn would be here on the back of this guy 😉

Again back to my original point above:

In fairness though, do these final 4 teams have a front court better than that? Uconn maybe? Reeves will be fine and I bet if he stays he’ll make a nice impact next year.

I remember y’all saying at beginning of season how uconn would be here on the back of this guy 😉
Reeves will be fine, he just won't be our starter.

Reeves will be fine, he just won't be our starter.
We shall see I guess, I’m pulling for the kid. I’m still trying to get the definition of “final four bigs”. I’m being serious - I think we are being a bit narrow minded considering the state of college basketball. FAU is in with a 7-footer, who just two seasons ago, could barely hang on to a ball.

We shall see I guess. I’m still trying to get the definition of “final four bigs”. I’m being serious - I think we are being a bit narrow minded considering the state of college basketball. FAU is in with a 7-footer, who just two seasons ago, could barely hang on to a ball.
Oh I know. I think Reeves can be something special, but in year 3. He will give us contributions next season, though.

I like Reeves and for all the talk on here of people wanting players to stay and develop but then also want transfer portal players , you have to pick your poison .
I really have a hard time seeing Reeves stay after next season unless he get real minutes . Maybe not starter minutes but at least ten a game. Kids are not waiting three years any more to see if they get minutes .

I mean, he knew what his role would be coming in. He will be a good backup next year.
Who’s to say that was the role he was told ?maybe this past season due to Lively being at Duke . Only thing I remember is him saying both sides agreed for him to red shirt to get stronger and adapt to college level ball but that surely changed when Lively got hurt and he lifted his red shirt . The red shirt should have never been lifted . We look at it like the kid still needs to develop. Players look at it now like they can always go somewhere else and get more pt .

Reactions: Mac9192
I like Reeves and for all the talk on here of people wanting players to stay and develop but then also want transfer portal players , you have to pick your poison .
I really have a hard time seeing Reeves stay after next season unless he get real minutes . Maybe not starter minutes but at least ten a game. Kids are not waiting three years any more to see if they get minutes .
Reeves is getting minutes next year. We can go back and forth about whomever. It's easy to adjust to Reeves and Young then to get a transfer and make adjustments.

Reactions: sheyduke
I heard today that "as of now" Mitchell and Proctor are poised to come back. If so, I hope we bring in no portal guys. Hopefully, Blakes and Schutt improve and can break into the rotation. If those guys could develop into Marty Clark type players next years new guys will not be counted on as much and can ease into their roles, instead of being thrown into the fire. Obviously would be nice to see Reeves improve, I think he could be a good rim protector.
I agree if Flip comes back that we could avoid the portal. Otherwise, think you need a post player. Someone that can get 6-8 rebounds per game and play 20+ minutes. I wouldn’t mind us going after a guy like Kadin Shedrik. He’s started 35+ games in the ACC and has played for one of the best coaches in the game. He’s 6’11, 240 and he’s pretty damn athletic. Think him and Young could be a good change up for opponents.

I'm sure Duke will get someone in the portal. It's just a question of whether the coaches feel that after assessing what we have, we need a starter or a guy like Young or John who can be a 7th man. Hopefully someone better than Grandison.

Flip back and the Dayton kid is my hope. We would be loaded and have similar experience to the Banchero team. Even one of those two we'd be very good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT