ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Bennett is Retiring

Probably leaving due to the state of college athletics. I think 10 years from now college basketball coaches will be more GM than coach and we will see a big drop in ability and quality of the game.

Sad to see him leave, although, as DukeCorey said, I won’t miss seeing his defense against us! A totally class act, made Virginia hoops relevant again. Good luck to whatever your next act is, Tony!

OFC

Although there are likely some coaches who already feel and embrace this, the older coaches must feel like their job has become much like being a bidder at a horse auction. And I’m sure that’s not what attracted people like K, Boeheim, Williams or Bennett to the profession.

OFC

Darn hope he is okay. Always seemed like a class act, and won a lot of games, and a title. The old guard is slowly being put out to pasture. Will be weird. No K, No Jimmy B, no Roy, no Bennett. The times they are a changin.

If it's something health-related, a whole lot of CBB media are going to be backpedaling on what they've reported tonight.

This was rumored to be coming in February. And if I knew about it then -- premium members can attest -- I'm sure anybody around UVA's program knew about it.

Tony's best teams at UVA were built on years of development in his system. That is obviously a lot more difficult to build in the current climate. Look at the teams UVA has put on the court in recent seasons. It's been a minor miracle some of these teams have made the NCAA tournament, given there have been maybe 3 halfway decent offensive players and a hodgepodge of mediocre-to-subpar transfers.

He's got a national championship, he's made a ton of money; it just reads like a coach who's burnt out by fighting an uphill battle of what college basketball has become. So, all of the critics of the transfer portal/NIL/immediate eligibility for transfers can rejoice.

The only surprise here is the timing. And that gets reasoned out when considering that resigning this close to the season guarantees Ron Sanchez -- who was Charlotte's head coach and left that position to go back to UVA -- gets a season to audition for the job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT