ADVERTISEMENT

The New Lounge

265519906_10166119614705472_7693778161746692285_n.jpg

Elon Musk " Government is simply the biggest Corporation, with the monopoly on violence"

Reactions: Fourteen44
Doesn't make what he supposedly said less true just because he is rich.

What criteria make him quotable in the first place?
I’m not the one who brought up his quote, and I know very little about him other than he’s very wealthy. But, that doesn’t discredit what he said IMO.

There’s plenty of stuff to get yourself worked up over, what Elon Musk says isn’t one of those things.
But, it’s how you roll. Carry on.

Reactions: topps coach

A corporation laid me off - ask the Oil and Gas pipeline employees about Govt policy that laid them off or small business owners going out of business due to government regulations
A corporation took my house - IRS seizure, eminent domain anyone?
Corporate cash is corrupting democracy - no argument here but government cash is also corrupting many corporate transactions too...pork barrel projects, back hand payments etc, election interference
A corporation denied my claim - ha! Government denies welfare and payment to so many private citizens its worse than the insurance companies...just ask Small businesses and landlords about PPP payments from COVID relief
Corporations track my every move - NSA anyone? FBI, CIA...worse offenders than any employer
I hate the Government...on this one I can agree

Memes work both ways

A corporation laid me off - ask the Oil and Gas pipeline employees about Govt policy that laid them off or small business owners going out of business due to government regulations
Corporate cash is corrupting democracy - no argument here but government cash is also corrupting many corporate transactions too...pork barrel projects, back hand payments etc, election interference
A corporation denied my claim - ha! Government denies welfare and payment to so many private citizens its worse than the insurance companies...just ask Small businesses and landlords about PPP payments from COVID relief
Corporations track my every move - NSA anyone? FBI, CIA...worse offenders than any employer

Memes work both ways
So many companies were threatened to be out of lucrative government contracts unless they went along with the “mandates,” and thus they went along with the mandates.

Memes work both ways
Fair...ish.

It's sort of like when Whole Foods sets up a donation bin beyond the check-out so you can buy stuff, then donate it... then writes it off as their own charitable giving: They're playing the angle. They could make that donation from their own profits. Amazon could pay their employees better w/o asking for donations. Walmart could pay their employees better w/o raising prices. And that would mean their fulltime employees wouldn't require government assistance to make ends meet, or sacrifice their health and overburden the healthcare system working a second and third job. And maybe then corporations might deserve a tax break. Currently, they're scapegoating the same government they've bought 100 times over -- playing the angle -- so that the exploited poor they employ will direct their anger at big govt instead of big corp.

Fair...ish.

It's sort of like when Whole Foods sets up a donation bin beyond the check-out so you can buy stuff, then donate it... then writes it off as their own charitable giving: They're playing the angle. They could make that donation from their own profits. Amazon could pay their employees better w/o asking for donations. Walmart could pay their employees better w/o raising prices. And that would mean their fulltime employees wouldn't require government assistance to make ends meet, or sacrifice their health and overburden the healthcare system working a second and third job. And maybe then corporations might deserve a tax break. Currently, they're scapegoating the same government they've bought 100 times over -- playing the angle -- so that the exploited poor they employ will direct their anger at big govt instead of big corp.
Karl Marx has entered the chat.

Fair...ish.

Well...they do donate money...and Amazon is hardly being run by a Capitalist in Bezos...at least not that he would admit...
Amazon Surpasses $215 Million in Donations to Charities Through AmazonSmile. SEATTLE --(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep. 30, 2020-

But he also donates personally....wealth derived from Amazon
His first multi-billion dollar philanthropic initiative came in 2018 with the Bezos Day One Fund, which aims to establish a network of nonprofit preschools and aid organizations working with homeless people. To date, Bezos has given just over $300 million of the $2 billion he's pledged to the initiative.

Our beliefs differ on the definition of poor...especially in the US. I also believe that you get paid what you are worth for the most par. Meritocracy and the ability to keep learning, keep improving your value is the way up the ladder- without that system those who have greater value will stop improving at some point and just fall back..because mediocrity will be the place where value/wages settle.

Unfortunately we are witnessing what happens when achievement and excellence is removed in our education system, in our corporations and most of all...in our government and our elected officials.

Well...they do donate money...and Amazon is hardly being run by a Capitalist in Bezos...at least not that he would admit...
Amazon Surpasses $215 Million in Donations to Charities Through AmazonSmile. SEATTLE --(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep. 30, 2020-

But he also donates personally....wealth derived from Amazon
His first multi-billion dollar philanthropic initiative came in 2018 with the Bezos Day One Fund, which aims to establish a network of nonprofit preschools and aid organizations working with homeless people. To date, Bezos has given just over $300 million of the $2 billion he's pledged to the initiative.

Our beliefs differ on the definition of poor...especially in the US. I also believe that you get paid what you are worth for the most par. Meritocracy and the ability to keep learning, keep improving your value is the way up the ladder- without that system those who have greater value will stop improving at some point and just fall back..because mediocrity will be the place where value/wages settle.

Unfortunately we are witnessing what happens when achievement and excellence is removed in our education system, in our corporations and most of all...in our government and our elected officials.
Slow clap for Bezos and his charitable giving. He's crushing it in a system set up to require charity.

The poor work far harder than the rich in this country. Merit and character have nothing to do with it. It's arbitrary. Pro athletes used to work off-season jobs to make ends meet. Now they're multimillionaires who can retire from doing anything by the age of 40. They're no more or less meritorious than athletes from 70 years ago. That we reward their skills exponentially more today is arbitrary.

It's incredibly cynical to act like money is the only thing that drives people to pursue excellence. There has hardly ever been enough funding in education, yet you apparently acknowledge that at some point there was excellence and achievement there. The so-called "greatest generation" was able to raise families and own property on a single hourly wage job. Were they a bunch of slackers who fell short of innovation?

Slow clap for Bezos and his charitable giving. He's crushing it in a system set up to require charity.

The poor work far harder than the rich in this country. Merit and character have nothing to do with it. It's arbitrary. Pro athletes used to work off-season jobs to make ends meet. Now they're multimillionaires who can retire from doing anything by the age of 40. They're no more or less meritorious than athletes from 70 years ago. That we reward their skills exponentially more today is arbitrary.

It's incredibly cynical to act like money is the only thing that drives people to pursue excellence. There has hardly ever been enough funding in education, yet you apparently acknowledge that at some point there was excellence and achievement there. The so-called "greatest generation" was able to raise families and own property on a single hourly wage job. Were they a bunch of slackers who fell short of innovation?
For the most part, not a bad take Datt, IMO.

• Wow
Reactions: Dattier
Also, Bezos' net worth is around $200 billion. The $300 million he has donated personally amounts to 0.15% of his net worth. That's like a batting average that rounds up to .002. The equivalent would be if I donated less than $100 per year.

Fair...ish.

Exploited as in providing jobs for? You’ve clearly never run a business and know next to nothing about little details like payroll and profit margins. Maybe you can contribute to the next topic

Slow clap for you too! a reasoned response for the most part. I believe we spend the most on education by some measures but our results are poor compared to the return on investment other countries see. Of course our system produces excellence in some cases, or at least it used to...thats the point...we are on a downward spiral in that regard. By removing measurement and rewards for achievement, we are endorsing mediocrity...rapidly And as to the greatest generation....they are probably rolling in their graves seeing how we have moved to medals for all, ribbons for everyone and how easily our feelings are hurt these days. They are THE greatest generation no doubt and the one i respect the most..

You can't.
Great comeback! I’ll lean on my years of Honors and AP history studies, not to mention countless real world examples to know Marxists ideologies are proven failures and extremely dangerous. But also thanks for proving my point originally. The fact that in 2021 I’d have to explain to an EDUCATOR of our youth, why Marxism is bad, that says it all. It’s alarming you can actually believe the works of Karl Marx are logical and actually work. Seek help bud.

Great comeback! I’ll lean on my years of Honors and AP history studies, not to mention countless real world examples to know Marxists ideologies are proven failures and extremely dangerous. But also thanks for proving my point originally. The fact that in 2021 I’d have to explain to an EDUCATOR of our youth, why Marxism is bad, that says it all. It’s alarming you can actually believe the works of Karl Marx are logical and actually work. Seek help bud.
You're leaning on classes you took in high school and political examples for why a theory that is still relevant 170-some years after its publication is bad. :rolleyes:

Slow clap for you too! a reasoned response for the most part. I believe we spend the most on education by some measures but our results are poor compared to the return on investment other countries see. Of course our system produces excellence in some cases, or at least it used to...thats the point...we are on a downward spiral in that regard. By removing measurement and rewards for achievement, we are endorsing mediocrity...rapidly And as to the greatest generation....they are probably rolling in their graves seeing how we have moved to medals for all, ribbons for everyone and how easily our feelings are hurt these days. They are THE greatest generation no doubt and the one i respect the most..
The "greatest generation" maintained segregation, hit their wives, neglected mental health, and created the military state. Medals for everyone and hurt feelings are canards.

You're leaning on classes you took in high school and political examples for why a theory that is still relevant 170-some years after its publication is bad. :rolleyes:
Feel free to admit you’re a Marxist any time now. Case closed, thanks for playing.

Reactions: Fourteen44
The "greatest generation" maintained segregation, hit their wives, neglected mental health, and created the military state. Medals for everyone and hurt feelings are canards.
Are you neglecting your mental health by being here? 🤫

Tragic. Prayers for them all.
I believe human life takes priority but it’s also an underrreported aspect of an event like this, that is how many pets and stray animals are killed or permanently displaced. Not to mention the livestock that are housed in flimsy structures that never stood a chance. Immeasurable suffering.

Reactions: Blueheart32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT