ADVERTISEMENT

The miracle Minute...never gets old

I was watching that game with some friends at their house. We left for a party with about a minute left. I missed the whole thing and found out later that night we won on the ESPN scroll. Couldn’t believe it.

They need a miracle...there’s one

Still love hearing Mike Patrick say “are you kinding?!”

I'll never forget, living in Maryland at the time, pre-gaming for a night out with all UMD fans. I was so pissed with about 90 seconds, went into my room to change/take my Duke shirt off to go out (all to a raucous group) came back out and it was eerily quiet. Then I saw the scoreboard! Beautiful.

Awesome. Like everyone else, watching that game live, SO unhappy, and then....

BTW, there is no question that Shane is the greatest Dukie in history. Come on. Don't celebrate; just walk off like you expected to win? Please.

Sorry, but there is know question that Christian Laettner is the greatest Dukie in histosty. Shane rates near the top.

You are incorrect. In terms of embodying everything that is important about Duke University, Shane has Christian beat out. Christian was a GREAT basketball player, but in terms of the whole package, it's Shane.

And holy cow... "know question?"

Reactions: Duke1783
You are incorrect. In terms of embodying everything that is important about Duke University, Shane has Christian beat out. Christian was a GREAT basketball player, but in terms of the whole package, it's Shane.

Holy S***... sorry about that Mr Grammer Policeman.

No question-Christian Laettner greatest Dukie ever.

Remember this game like it was yesterday. I remember being pissed off that Duke was about ready to lose to freaking Gary Williams and the turtles. Then J-Will did his thing and the rest is history! I remember asking myself multiple times after the game, if Duke really won that game or was I dreaming! Ha! Then Duke got the Turtles again in the final four with another big comeback to send them packing.

Great clip! And man I liked Mike Patrick a lot

I liked Patrick a lot, too. I know many didn't....and I never really understood that.

His bio says that he still works for ESPN, but I never hear him calling games anymore. I also don't get to watch as much as I used to, either.

Reactions: pisgah101
Holy S***... sorry about that Mr Grammer Policeman.

No question-Christian Laettner greatest Dukie ever.

Knowing the difference between "no" and "know" is really, really, REALLY basic stuff... like, it should be natural. If you don't get THAT right, why should I take your opinion on greatest Dukie ever seriously?

And no; Christian wasn't the greatest Dukie ever, no question. Most accomplished Duke basketball player in history? Sure; most accomplished, I think, in NCAA history. Best Duke basketball in history? Sure.

But greatest Dukie? No. Because to anyone who really "gets" Duke, you know it isn't just about winning basketball games; there is a lot more to it.

There is leadership. Shane was the consummate captain; the only player who K has ever straight-up turned the team over to. K didn't talk in huddles when Shane was a senior: SHANE spoke, and K accepted it, because he knew that Shane would do the best job of anyone. Shane was the ultimate teammate; tough, beloved, would do anything for his teammates.

There is doing the blue collar stuff that wins games, beyond scoring buckets. He epitomized what K believes is the most important part of basketball, winning THREE National Defensive Player of the Year awards.

There is also the entire part of being a Duke student. Shane was a true Duke student; an intellectual, reflective, dedicated academic. There is a reason HE was the one who did the one-on-one conversation with President Brodhead.

And anyone who celebrates winning an NBA title by going to Denny's with a few old friends... that's someone who gets it.

So yeah... Christian was a GREAT player, maybe the best Duke player ever, but Shane is the greatest Dukie ever. Humble, strong, a great teammate, a winner, a dedicated defender, a dedicated student. Grant Hill is an acceptable option as well.

It doesn't hurt that Shane won the Dukebasketballreport "Favorite Duke Player Ever" contest... and then straight-up signed up to the forum and posted a thank you. That's an AWESOME Dukie.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport....r-Poll-THE-FINALS!!!-Battier-vs-Dawkins/page5

His user name is whosyourdaddy31, and his post is as good as you'd expect it to be.

Last edited:
Knowing the difference between "no" and "know" is really, really, REALLY basic stuff... like, it should be natural. If you don't get THAT right, why should I take your opinion on greatest Dukie ever seriously?

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer for sure.

But I seriously I can recognize an arrogant SOB right off.

That would be one who thinks he is always the smartest guy in the room and he AIN'T. One who would choose to call one out on a message board for really basic stuff like putting know in a sentence when I really meant no.

Christian Laettner will always be the greatest Dukie in my humble opinion.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport....r-Poll-THE-FINALS!!!-Battier-vs-Dawkins/page5

His user name is whosyourdaddy31, and his post is as good as you'd expect it to be.

Why do some people have such trouble with the quote function? It seems so straight forward?

I learned that day you never tell a shooter to stop shooting. J-Will was off and I was screaming "stop shooting the F****g ball, Jason" but I was wrong and he and Battier delivered when we needed it the most. Great great memeory and adds beauty to the Duke lore and legacy.

Just tap your screen and you will be able to read the entire post. It will probably hurt your feelings.

Oh no no, I read it. And no, it doesn't hurt my feelings. I'm pretty sure there isn't much you could do to hurt my feelings on a message board.

Here's the thing. I'll step back and say this without emotion, because I don't want this to come off as me trying to be mean or take shots.

I tend to look at certain basic, baseline things as relatively reliable indicators of a persons brainpower.

I've found in my life that things like basic grammar and formatting of written language are, almost without exception, an indicator of the logic and thought behind a persons point.

People who tend to make illogical or irrational points also tend to have pretty rough grammar and present themselves poorly in written format.

People whose writing is clear and grammatically correct tend also to make more logical and thoughtful points, although the correlation I've found is not as consistent.

Even if someone naturally doesn't have great grammar, I also tend to think most people should take enough pride in the way they share their thoughts that they give what they wrote a quick look to ensure it isn't a mess, and change it as needed.

So... when you challenge what I wrote (which is obviously fine) but the challenge includes such an eye-popping grammatical mistake (along with misspellings) I am going to point it out, because it is not only really noticeable but also feels like it undermines the legitimacy of your post. Then, when you get so defensive and angry about it, with the cursing and grammar police thing, again, I'm not just going to sort of let it go, and it further causes me to question your reasoning and point.

Anyway... there you go. If you think judging people is some horror of horrors, so be it... I think it is fairly natural. Given how aggressive you've been in your posts here, I wouldn't think you are terribly sensitive, but maybe you are someone who spoils for a fight. Lord knows, there are a few of those who post here.

And I maintain Shane is still the greatest Dukie of all time. I gave my reasons. Not sure why you haven't shared yours for Christian, who frankly came across as a prickly asshole who never reflected any particular interest in the beyond-basketball things in his time at Duke.

Anyway... this is dumb and off topic. Back to the Miracle Minute. It was all the much sweeter because it happened against Maryland, and if there was ANY fan base that deserved all 60 seconds of that minute, its that one.

Last edited:
I was watching that game with some friends at their house. We left for a party with about a minute left. I missed the whole thing and found out later that night we won on the ESPN scroll. Couldn’t believe it.
I was watching the game and my GF at the time was rushing me out the door to GO to a party. When they went back up by 10, I turned the TV off and left pissed off. I didn't find out until the next day that Duke had won. I seriously thought it was a misprint. Still can't believe I missed it.

Reactions: dukiejay
I was watching the game and my GF at the time was rushing me out the door to GO to a party. When they went back up by 10, I turned the TV off and left pissed off. I didn't find out until the next day that Duke had won. I seriously thought it was a misprint. Still can't believe I missed it.

I assume you dumped her after that?

That one is pretty glorious even in replay.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
Awesome. Like everyone else, watching that game live, SO unhappy, and then....

BTW, there is no question that Shane is the greatest Dukie in history. Come on. Don't celebrate; just walk off like you expected to win? Please.
Dude. Are you criticising the G.D.O.A.T. for celebrating one of the most improbable wis in Duke history? Yikes.

Reactions: pisgah101
Dude. Are you criticising the G.D.O.A.T. for celebrating one of the most improbable wis in Duke history? Yikes.

Huh? No no, listen to the TV piece; Jaywill tells the story of how Shane gathered the guys just before it ended and told them all "Do NOT celebrate; just shake hands and walk off all cool, like you've done this before." Jason talks about how absolutely baller that was... and I love that. Big believer in "act like you've been there before (even if you haven't)."

I married her best friend.

1d18b871dabd9337ba36f13d41a9c1f7ccbc16960f3440b079cb2c5436cc773d.jpg

Huh? No no, listen to the TV piece; Jaywill tells the story of how Shane gathered the guys just before it ended and told them all "Do NOT celebrate; just shake hands and walk off all cool, like you've done this before." Jason talks about how absolutely baller that was... and I love that. Big believer in "act like you've been there before (even if you haven't)."
Ahh. I thought you were commenting on Laettner celebrating.

Ahh. I thought you were commenting on Laettner celebrating.

No way; Christian can celebrate any way he wants. And when you said the GOAT celebrating an improbable win, obviously I thought you meant Shane and that game against Maryland;)

Christian was without any doubt the greatest at Duke for what he accomplished.

Gotta, the way you phrased that, it feels like you are trying to make a point that I am not picking up... what do you mean "for what he accomplished"?

Oh no no, I read it. And no, it doesn't hurt my feelings. I'm pretty sure there isn't much you could do to hurt my feelings on a message board.

Here's the thing. I'll step back and say this without emotion, because I don't want this to come off as me trying to be mean or take shots.

I tend to look at certain basic, baseline things as relatively reliable indicators of a persons brainpower.

I've found in my life that things like basic grammar and formatting of written language are, almost without exception, an indicator of the logic and thought behind a persons point.

People who tend to make illogical or irrational points also tend to have pretty rough grammar and present themselves poorly in written format.

People whose writing is clear and grammatically correct tend also to make more logical and thoughtful points, although the correlation I've found is not as consistent.

Even if someone naturally doesn't have great grammar, I also tend to think most people should take enough pride in the way they share their thoughts that they give what they wrote a quick look to ensure it isn't a mess, and change it as needed.

So... when you challenge what I wrote (which is obviously fine) but the challenge includes such an eye-popping grammatical mistake (along with misspellings) I am going to point it out, because it is not only really noticeable but also feels like it undermines the legitimacy of your post. Then, when you get so defensive and angry about it, with the cursing and grammar police thing, again, I'm not just going to sort of let it go, and it further causes me to question your reasoning and point.

Anyway... there you go. If you think judging people is some horror of horrors, so be it... I think it is fairly natural. Given how aggressive you've been in your posts here, I wouldn't think you are terribly sensitive, but maybe you are someone who spoils for a fight. Lord knows, there are a few of those who post here.

And I maintain Shane is still the greatest Dukie of all time. I gave my reasons. Not sure why you haven't shared yours for Christian, who frankly came across as a prickly asshole who never reflected any particular interest in the beyond-basketball things in his time at Duke.

Anyway... this is dumb and off topic. Back to the Miracle Minute. It was all the much sweeter because it happened against Maryland, and if there was ANY fan base that deserved all 60 seconds of that minute, its that one.

Darn, if you are as intelligent as you claim why waste your time on a message board? You should be working on a cure for cancer.

Hope everyone remembers to crowd reaction after the game. With thrown objects at the Duke section. I believe Boozer's mother was injured by one of these.

4 final fours and 2 championships?

I know what Laettner accomplished; I just didn't know if Gotta had included that part, "for what he accomplished," as a way to say something that I wasn't understanding... like, he was differentiating between two things that I wasn't picking up on.

Why do you have to be a dick and make things personal because someone disagrees with you? Be a decent person for crying out loud. It seems so straight forward!

Doesn't seem to me that saying literally "Holy cow" at something like "Know doubt" is somehow being some indecent dick, and certainly not any more personal or dick than cursing and name calling... but I guess we all have different tolerances for stuff. But sure, my bad. Let's move on.

Reactions: 2 skerz 3

This is a discussion about basketball players on a basketball forum so it would seem to be taken for granted that you're talking about who the greatest Duke Basketball player ever is when you used the term, "greatest Dukie ever." You qualified that comment by making several of how Battier was the embodiment of Duke and there is, "no question," of his status as Duke's greatest.

I can assume you got caught up in reliving the moment, made a hyperbolic statement about Battier and rather than walk it back when called on it, you made up some non-quantifiable criteria to back what you wrote.

On the other hand, let's say all that stuff you wrote about embodiment, being there before, turning over the team to just him and program representation are what really constitutes, "greatest," to you. If that's the case, I'll bite on the no question part.

What is it that unquestionably puts Shane Battier at the top of that list above Grant Hill?

Specifically, what is/was Shane Battier greater at than Grant Hill?

This is a discussion about basketball players on a basketball forum so it would seem to be taken for granted that you're talking about who the greatest Duke Basketball player ever is when you used the term, "greatest Dukie ever." You qualified that comment by making several of how Battier was the embodiment of Duke and there is, "no question," of his status as Duke's greatest.

I can assume you got caught up in reliving the moment, made a hyperbolic statement about Battier and rather than walk it back when called on it, you made up some non-quantifiable criteria to back what you wrote.

On the other hand, let's say all that stuff you wrote about embodiment, being there before, turning over the team to just him and program representation are what really constitutes, "greatest," to you. If that's the case, I'll bite on the no question part.

What is it that unquestionably puts Shane Battier at the top of that list above Grant Hill?

Specifically, what is/was Shane Battier greater at than Grant Hill?

So.

First, this is a discussion of Duke basketball players on a Duke forum. And Duke is about a lot more than basketball. Yes, even to the players and coaches. Ask any of them. And, to me, there is a distinction between "greatest player ever" and "greatest Dukie ever." Player is pretty obvious; it's about playing basketball. But there is more to being a Dukie, to being a Duke student and athlete and representative of the University, than just being a basketball player, and my guess is that if you ask any of the players they will agree with that. So yeah, I've always been consistently precise with "best Duke player" and "best Dukie."

Second, nope, not just making it up. I've never been one who minds saying sorry or that I got carried away. For this? I've always felt that Shane is the one.

As for Grant... I believe I just posted about ten posts above this one that Grant is an acceptable answer to the "greatest Dukie ever". Guy was not just a great player, but he was humble beyond humble, classy, bright, thoughtful, and since being at Duke has continued that, giving back to the university and his community, and addressing issues beyond basketball. He is also an avid art collector (not just a "I'm rich" sort but someone who really appreciates and understands the art) and general supporter of the arts, which is rare in these days, especially among athletes. I knew Grant at Duke, and he was always an amazing guy.

Unquestionably might be hyperbole. For me, personally, I probably put Shane a hair ahead of Grant for two reasons. First, I think Shane was a better leader. I am not sure that Grant ever stepped up and into a role of absolute leadership the way Shane did... Shane was calling guys and challenging them in the off season, running the huddle in games, managing the locker room... Grant was always a bit more reserved. To me, one of the key aspects of Duke is leadership. Second, to me, nothing can compare to three NDPOY awards. Defense has always been the hallmark of Duke basketball, and while Grant was a GREAT defender, Shane is the best defender we've ever had.

Last edited:
So.

First, this is a discussion of Duke basketball players on a Duke forum. And Duke is about a lot more than basketball. Yes, even to the players and coaches. Ask any of them. And, to me, there is a distinction between "greatest player ever" and "greatest Dukie ever." Player is pretty obvious; it's about playing basketball. But there is more to being a Dukie, to being a Duke student and athlete and representative of the University, than just being a basketball player, and my guess is that if you ask any of the players they will agree with that. So yeah, I've always been consistently precise with "best Duke player" and "best Dukie."

Second, nope, not just making it up. I've never been one who minds saying sorry or that I got carried away. For this? I've always felt that Shane is the one.

As for Grant... I believe I just posted about ten posts above this one that Grant is an acceptable answer to the "greatest Dukie ever". Guy was not just a great player, but he was humble beyond humble, classy, bright, thoughtful, and since being at Duke has continued that, giving back to the university and his community, and addressing issues beyond basketball. He is also an avid art collector (not just a "I'm rich" sort but someone who really appreciates and understands the art) and general supporter of the arts, which is rare in these days, especially among athletes. I knew Grant at Duke, and he was always an amazing guy.

Unquestionably might be hyperbole. For me, personally, I probably put Shane a hair ahead of Grant for two reasons. First, I think Shane was a better leader. I am not sure that Grant ever stepped up and into a role of absolute leadership the way Shane did... Shane was calling guys and challenging them in the off season, running the huddle in games, managing the locker room... Grant was always a bit more reserved. To me, one of the key aspects of Duke is leadership. Second, to me, nothing can compare to three NDPOY awards. Defense has always been the hallmark of Duke basketball, and while Grant was a GREAT defender, Shane is the best defender we've ever had.

You did say Grant was, "acceptable," for the position, but I asked for why Battier was the unquestioned greatest Duke guy of all-time. I got he ran the huddle, called guys to work out and was less-reserved than Grant. I also got the 3 defensive player of the year awards to Grant's 1. To Grant's defense, he has exquisite taste in art.

If we're bringing up Grant's taste for the finer things in life, how many points does he get for marrying Tamina? What about the multiple revenue streams he's developed over the years? Since we're talking about all this other stuff, let's acknowledge how much Grant truly wins at life.

Now that all of that is out of the way, a couple questions:

Battier's 3 NDPOTY wins: Impressive. Does Shelden rank second on your all-time list? Winning 2 is nothing to dismiss. Also, if you give Grant credit for his NDPOTY can you admit everything he did everywhere else can at least pull him close to even with how much clout that one-dimensional award carries?

Battier's leadership: Why does Battier get the nod here when his results are only truly great when he had somebody better and with experience to do the heavy lifting (Brand in 99, JWill in 01)?

Compare that to Grant. He truly got the keys in 1993-94 and proceeded to take a bunch of random dudes (least talented Duke FF team of my life) to within a Scotty Thurman rainbow of a national title. Do you think Battier take that team in that era to the Final Four? That's not rhetorical, by the way. I actually am curious about your opinion.

Finally embodiment and representation: Grant Hill is the most universally liked Duke player in history. He's the guy haters point to and say, "I hate Duke but..." Hell, Shaunie O'Neal said she thought he was the only faithful husband in the NBA at one point in time.

None of this is meant to trash Battier and his legacy. He is an all-timer. I just disagree with your initial statement.

To do that against such a good Maryland team, was unreal!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT