ADVERTISEMENT

92 never gets old

Mac9192

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 25, 2017
I know this is not a new discussion, but I just finished watching a special about the 92 title team. Man it never gets old to me talking about that team. My gosh what a bunch of warriors.
I get reminded of how special they were and all the unique things that happened that season. The pressure of attempting to repeat, Hurley breaking a bone in his foot in the 1st half against the Holes in Chapel Hill. Lost by 2 but he still played. Playing without him against Shaq in the next game. Hurley playing against his younger brother in the NCAA tournament, the Greatest college game against Kentucky I've ever seen. That's a game where you know where you watched it and who you watched it with. Then K goes up against his mentor in the Final 4. Then to top it off, the championship game was against a bunch of freshmen kids that were as mouthy as they were good.
The toughness that this bunch had was off the charts. Can you imagine a team that had fans waiting on them everywhere they went, a lot heckling them, with a guy on the team that was the most despised guy in college basketball, keeping their focus all season? His own teammates sometimes didn't like him.
If any of you guys weren't old enough to have seen them play, watch the game against Kentucky, or the title game, and you should walk away knowing who the best Duke team ever was. It's not even a debate as far as I'm concerned.

I will NEVER forget that game! I was at my inlaws ( UK fans ) and when Sean Woods hit that running jump hook or whatever kind of crazy shot that was..I couldn't BELIEVE that shot went in....People were in my face yelling oooh ooh oooh....pointing their fingers....when Laettner hit that shot, nothing but crickets baby!!....And I had a blast that next day at work! There has not been one single basketball season since then that that game doesn't come up here!

I know this is not a new discussion, but I just finished watching a special about the 92 title team. Man it never gets old to me talking about that team. My gosh what a bunch of warriors.
I get reminded of how special they were and all the unique things that happened that season. The pressure of attempting to repeat, Hurley breaking a bone in his foot in the 1st half against the Holes in Chapel Hill. Lost by 2 but he still played. Playing without him against Shaq in the next game. Hurley playing against his younger brother in the NCAA tournament, the Greatest college game against Kentucky I've ever seen. That's a game where you know where you watched it and who you watched it with. Then K goes up against his mentor in the Final 4. Then to top it off, the championship game was against a bunch of freshmen kids that were as mouthy as they were good.
The toughness that this bunch had was off the charts. Can you imagine a team that had fans waiting on them everywhere they went, a lot heckling them, with a guy on the team that was the most despised guy in college basketball, keeping their focus all season? His own teammates sometimes didn't like him.
If any of you guys weren't old enough to have seen them play, watch the game against Kentucky, or the title game, and you should walk away knowing who the best Duke team ever was. It's not even a debate as far as I'm concerned.

Fortunate enough Mac to find it tonite on the NBA Network I think it was. The chills still run deep buddy! Agree with all your comments. Never gets old...memories only age of that year like a fine wine. I have said it before and will say it again....No one EVER has been as PRODUCTIVE as Laettner for his team over the course of 4 years....OFC

I was at the Final Four in 1992....they were the sports version of The Beatles.

I remember going to the open practice that week leading up to their game Saturday against Indiana. When the other three teams practiced there were maybe 10 to 15,000 people in the stands. For the hour Duke had the court it was 40,000+. They were just on a different level.

I was at the Final Four in 1992....they were the sports version of The Beatles.

I remember going to the open practice that week leading up to their game Saturday against Indiana. When the other three teams practiced there were maybe 10 to 15,000 people in the stands. For the hour Duke had the court it was 40,000+. They were just on a different level.
And to this day, Duke is still on a different level:D Duke is college basketball!!

That was my Senior year in High School and it was a beautiful run all season long, one of the best years of my life and it was because of that '92 team. Of course no one will ever forget the Kentucky game or atleast know about it and the shot but some of the younger guys on this site need to understand that Bobby Hurley had the stones before Tyus. Laettner was off bad against Indiana in the Final Four and Bobby put that team on his back and hit clutch three after clutch three, without that performance we don't go back to back. Getting chill as I type this. When god made Hurley he broke the mold.

Last edited:
I'll never forget that game! After Woods threw up that prayer over Laettner that went in I was really pissed, but when I saw a couple of seconds left I screamed at the top of my voice...JUST GET THE F__KING BALL TO LAETTNER! I screamed that over and over, and over...thankfully my wife had already taken the kids and left out long before this!
Anyway when Laettner caught the ball (from Grant's great pass), took a couple dribbles and then shot the ball...I jumped up in the air and yelled GAME BITCHES...while the ball was in the air! There was no doubt in my mind the ball was going in when the greatest college clutch player of all time shoots with history in the making! What a game!!!

OFC

I'll never forget that game! After Woods threw up that prayer over Laettner that went in I was really pissed, but when I saw a couple of seconds left I screamed at the top of my voice...JUST GET THE F__KING BALL TO LAETTNER! I screamed that over and over, and over...thankfully my wife had already taken the kids and left out long before this!
Anyway when Laettner caught the ball (from Grant's great pass), took a couple dribbles and then shot the ball...I jumped up in the air and yelled GAME BITCHES...while the ball was in the air! There was no doubt in my mind the ball was going in when the greatest college clutch player of all time shoots with history in the making! What a game!!!

OFC
How many times am I allowed to like this?? I would have loved to have been there. Sounds like watching OAD may have been almost as good as watching the game!!

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Mac, nice post. I loved that team then and I still love them! I have both the 91 & 92 Championship Video, the greatest game ever played Video, and the 91/92 Back to Back video (think I liked them o_O).
Probably the sickest I have ever felt when Woods hit that shot in the Kentucky game, but when Laettner hit the shot to win it, I was on top of the world! I remember saying to my self, WOW, can you dig it!! I think I landed back on earth about a week later.
I have all five (5) of the Duke National Championships, but that team will always have a "special" place in my heart! Looking forward to purchasing #6 real soon!! ;)
Go Duke!
OFC

OFC

"What a game!!!" is right and my dear friend, WHAT A POST!!! Thx Dirt!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT