ADVERTISEMENT

The Carolina Way VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the NCAA does THIS to ONE coach and ONE athlete ( a SWIMMER fer cryin' out loud! ) over ONE class in ONE department in ONE academic year how can they justify NOT nuking unx back to the Stone Age...?

Georgia swim coach gives extra benefit; doesn't promote compliance

The University of Georgia head swimming and diving coach did not promote an atmosphere for compliance when he made special arrangements for a student-athlete to enroll in an independent study course to maintain eligibility, according to a decision issued by a Division I Committee on Infractions panel.

Penalties include a $5,000 fine, a nine competition suspension for the head coach and a one-year recruiting restriction for the head coach.

UNC-CHeat

Hahaha that's hilarious. Now we need a pic of Paige with a shirt that says I can't shoot!!
OFC

Scandal continues to haunt unc

First let me say, I am a proud graduate of unc. I chose carolina because I wanted an opportunity to get a world-class education and every day I walked to class, I felt privileged to have the opportunity to attend such a prestigious university.

That said, it looks like what has been historically referred to as "The carolina Way" - implying excellence in sports as well as the classroom - was a complete farce.

UNC-CHeat

Best College Values, 2015

The University of North carolina at Chapel Hill tops the public-school rankings for the 14th straight time and is also number one for best out-of-state value; it's number 22 on our combined list. carolina's top-notch academics along with strong financial aid-the average net price for in-state students after need-based aid is a bargain at $6,332-contribute to its success.

Lately, however, carolina's reputation has been tainted by the revelation that over 18 years, hundreds of student athletes received inflated grades or credit for nonexistent courses. Many athletes were "steered" to bogus classes by academic counselors. "This scandal is devastating to us," says chancellor Carol Folt. So how can the school remain atop our list? "Our rankings live and die by the numbers," explains Kiplinger's editor Janet Bodnar. "And the scandal didn't affect the overall academic quality and value that we measure."

UNC-CHeat

Jay Smith spittin' today. "Gimme the microphone first so I can bust like a bubble..."
tongue.r191677.gif

Jay Smith@jaysmith711

Chansky: better not to know the truth.
RT @DavidGlennShow "I wouldn't have done Waintstein Report--they had already put reforms in place."

Professor Wolf ‏@ProfessrWolf

@jaysmith711 Question for Art, how do you know if the reforms are appropriate if you aren't sure the scope of the areas needing reformed? Of course I'd expect that from Art. He has much to defend. pic.twitter.com/ozvBmIgSmi "Stain cannot be erased without a complete change of command." Art Chansky (10/6/2010). http://dig.abclocal.go.com/wtvd/docs/chanskyemail_121510.pdf …

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@ProfessrWolf Yes, he also wanted critics of unc fired. Much better to protect bb brand than university's integrity.

@jaysmith711 Ironic, isn't it? A person calling for critics to be fired was fired for being a critic.

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@ProfessrWolf Ironic one way to look at it. Chansky has never made much sense to me.

@jaysmith711 But Jay, I write these things to you in a public forum "with the highest degree of confidentiality." #PublicRecords

Harry Ramstein ‏@HarryRamstein

@ProfessrWolf @jaysmith711 unc basketball is sacrosanct. Everything else(football) can be thrown under the bus/revamped/rogues fired

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@HarryRamstein @ProfessrWolf Our leaders have certainly given outside world every reason to think this is true.

@jaysmith711 It makes you wonder, over the history of Art's insider access, what else was "confidentially" communicated by email.

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@ProfessrWolf Biggest reveal in latest DK piece was that unc had withheld many emails he had requested. Indefensible.

@jaysmith711 When you cannot defend past actions (and inaction), you hire a public relations firm so you can "Move Forward Together."

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@ProfessrWolf I wish that we at unc were not so easily mocked. Thing is, it's the stuff done SINCE 2010 that is most embarrassing.

@jaysmith711 The period of mocking will pass just as has happened with the era of preaching about the "carolina Way."

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@ProfessrWolf Well, first we will need to stop doing mock-worthy things. Not sure the end is in sight for that.

Kenny McComb ‏@Kenny_McComb

@jaysmith711 @ProfessrWolf People must stand up and do the right thing. Do you repaint termite infested wood or do you completely fix it?

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@Kenny_McComb @ProfessrWolf They've ordered up paint by the bucket.

Jeff Foster ‏@vwjfos

@jaysmith711 @DavidGlennShow the people in A&S who allowed this to happen are the ones who should be fired.

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@vwjfos @DavidGlennShow OK, but what about the ones who ASKED for it to happen? The ones who sought out free rides? Hilarious. As man who hired and patronized W Walden, is Roy implicated in Art's call for change of command? Would seem so.

Jeff Foster ‏@vwjfos

@jaysmith711 @DavidGlennShow okay, I will play along. Who asked for this to happen?

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@vwjfos @DavidGlennShow Most if not all academic counselors and the people who put the pressure on them--coaches, admissions officers, ADs.

Jeff Foster ‏@vwjfos

@jaysmith711 @DavidGlennShow academic counselors asked for an AFAM program with paper classes and A&S dutifully followed this path because Ol Roy wanted it? Proof?

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@vwjfos @DavidGlennShow Long pre-dated Roy (as head coach anyway.) As for proof, read the book and decide for yourself.

Jeff Foster ‏@vwjfos

@jaysmith711 @DavidGlennShow fair enough. I will take a look.

"Read the book and decide for yourself"

Jay...

Jay Smith‏@jaysmith711

@yibyabby It would be hard to come up with a top ten list of worst mistakes, 2010-2014. Too many candidates for that list.

@jaysmith711 @yibyabby The Hartlyn Andrews Report should be No 1. lol

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@HarryRamstein @yibyabby Certainly a contender. Burning of the Willingham witch on January 17, 2014 hard to beat, however. Also...FEC rally on the steps of South Building after HT resignation a real highlight. And what about claim that parking tix were FERPA protected? Or the Julius Peppers fiasco? Too many candidates...

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@jaysmith711 I flip-flopped hard between 1/14 and 1/20, first swallowing whole what Dean was serving; then...I'll stop the metaphor there.

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@yibyabby He served with conviction, for sure. Whole purpose was to discredit whistleblower AND her many revelations, sweep her aside.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@jaysmith711 Since u r chatty today ;-> Did Dean or anyone ever invite MW to explain how she'd derived her findings? Did MW ever offer?

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@yibyabby He never asked, she never offered--doesn't respond too well to bullying.

Kenny McComb ‏@Kenny_McComb

@jaysmith711 @DevilDJ32 @HarryRamstein @yibyabby And then beating up MW when they did "Chat."

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@jaysmith711 That's too bad. Though I'm told Dean was never truly interested in an explanation; used opportunity to demonize MW.

@yibyabby @jaysmith711 But he did go to Paul Barrett of Bloomberg BW, got on his knees and pleaded to stop the "negative publicity" lol

DevilDJ ‏@DevilDJ32

@HarryRamstein @jaysmith711 @yibyabby CBC steps-n-fetchs for unc athletics. Deb Stroman's reprehensible interview on @OTLonESP. Inclusion?

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@DevilDJ32 @HarryRamstein @yibyabby Caucus statement very unfortunate, yes. How about C Folt not inviting Mary to come talk for 10 mos? The institution needs a whistleblower policy. And JD and CF should study it. Fun chatting. But I'm off for the night.

This post was edited on 12/17 10:11 PM by DevilDJ

"Top ten list of worst mistakes"

Plot thickens...

pointwolf
A wise man, indeed
12292 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | Report
Posted: Yesterday 10:23 PM

Re: unc Scandal - DBR Kane podcast: page 21

question for Carol Folt.........WERE THERE ANY LEGAL AGREEMENTS WITH THE NCAA CONCERNING A FUTURE VISIT FROM THE NCAA AFTER THEIR FIRST VISIT ?

wink.r191677.gif

Food for thought...

PersesContractor
Recruit
358 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Yesterday 8:31 PM
Re: UNC Scandal - DBR Kane podcast: page 21
This was posted a few weeks ago.

"Op-ed: Mark Emmert faced UW culture that went "horribly awry" before Penn State"

***In 2008 The Seattle Times published a series, "Victory and Ruins," that showed how the UW and our community had turned a blind eye to the destructive, off-the-field conduct of some members of Washington's 2000 team, the last to win the Rose Bowl. Those events didn't occur under Emmert's watch - he became UW president in 2004 - but he confronted the fallout, calling the newspaper's revelations "shocking" and "deeply disturbing."

At the UW, members of the 2000 team - as well as other players, in years before - knew that if they were in danger of flunking out, they could always turn to Swahili to bump up their grade-point average.***
http://seattletimes.com/html/opinion/2018791158_guest30kenarmstrong.html

Who was the president of the University of Washington (before Mark Emmert arrived) which brought about this culture of using Swahili classes to keep athletes eligible?

Richard McCormick.

McCormick served as President of the University of Washington from 1995 to 2002.

McCormick served as vice chancellor and provost at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill from 1992 to 1995.

"Top Twit!" Hang a banner! unx corruption crosses the pond...
laugh.r191677.gif

They did what?! The top twits of 2014

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA: They were by far the easiest classes unc students had to take, because they didn't exist. An investigation found approximately 3,100 people over 17 years of age were enrolled in "paper classes." Students never met and only wrote one final paper at the end-most of which were plagiarized or poorly written, but still awarded an "A" or "B" to boost grades. Nearly half of those enrolled were on varsity teams. Some might call them cheaters. unc called them "student athletes."

UNC-CHeat

VIDEO: Can Roy Williams survive scandal at North carolina?

Will North carolina head coach Roy Williams survive the no-show classes scandal that has rocked Tar Heel basketball? Adam Zucker, Doug Gottlieb and Seth Davis discuss the on-going scandal.

UNC-CHeat

Doug Gottlieb‏@GottliebShow

As I stated, I don't think #unc scandal is as damaging to Coach Williams as it is to "carolina Way"- but 2005 banner is in question

SienaSoup ‏@sienasoup

@GottliebShow Buck stops w head coach for any hoop team issues. He passed the buck like he was in church.

Tommy Runyon ‏@tdrunyon77

@GottliebShow Why not 2009? Hell, '93 for that matter...

Adam T. ‏@Adam_DTank

@GottliebShow No its not.

Bluffalo Slim ‏@Bluffalo_Slim

@GottliebShow you kidding me?! The HC of a program handing out degrees and credits, is as damaging as it gets .. Ignorance is not at play

Buck ‏@midtownbuck

@GottliebShow Memphis had to take one down for a player not responding to an inquiry. unc's should be taken down and burned.

Evan Smith ‏@essmith5unc

@GottliebShow Get your facts straight if you are going to discuss

David A Turnquist ‏@msu1983

@essmith5unc @GottliebShow Facts ??! That unc has been a fraud for 20 years and is now led by biggest con man in NCAA hoops. Factual enough?

Evan Smith ‏@essmith5unc

@msu1983 @GottliebShow 2009 beating in Detroit must still hurt

David A Turnquist ‏@msu1983

@essmith5unc @GottliebShow Yep. Not gonna lie about it

JSA ‏@uncisforrealz

@GottliebShow you are a complete moron.

Edward Lechner ‏@elechner1

@GottliebShow ILL-INI

Sanibel Jayhawk ‏@Sanibel_KU

@GottliebShow the carolina Way is a myth that only the blindest of Tar Hell fans believe.

Mike Fisher ‏@FisherM24

@GottliebShow What about the 2009 banner?

Matthew Williams ‏@pack3333

@GottliebShow mccants is a clown...that made deans list. Transcripts have a way of showing proof. To bad no one else will show theres. Why??

JD Howard ‏@raleighwolf

@GottliebShow holy cow... How?

UNC-CHeat

pointzone74
Freshman
234 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 3:20 PM

Re: Roy deserves some credit today....

We played Kentucky right after exams. I think team had only one practice before they flew to KY. We all know that the stars at KY don't go to class and take tests anyway.

roll.r191677.gif

Barry Jacobs is a shameless homer. Willfully ignorant and unintentionally hilarious too...
laugh.r191677.gif

Jacobs: Dean Smith's lessons still reverberate at unc

These days Smith, Williams' mentor at North carolina, is confined to a wheelchair and speaks little, his mental capacities diminished. Yet it is a measure of Smith's intellect, success and staying power in his profession that his insights and opinions echo loudly more than 17 years after he retired as what was then the all-time leader in victories among major college coaches (879).

Smith's meticulously orchestrated practices stressed a disciplined team approach to basketball. "Just basically playing the right way," recalls Derrick Phelps, the point guard on Smith's 1993 national championship squad. "He wanted the right way to be the carolina way

Using the rules

For 36 seasons Smith, an avid competitor, guided players to live up to the program's internal standards.

Smith explored every nook and cranny of the rules and tried to take advantage.

Smith employed every tool at his disposal, the mental as well as the strategic.

But his basketball influence remains strong, emerging at odd moments and embraced in defining concepts, echoing even as his victory and championship totals are eclipsed, and less-principled operators taint his insistence on integrity and education as off-court keys to his carefully nurtured carolina way.

UNC-CHeat

Anything to avoid sworn depositions in open court. #carolinaway...

Derek Rowles @DerekRowles

The Saga Continues.. #unc @ChancellorFolt, James Dean & Roberta Owens have filed motion to dismiss @paperclassinc amended complaint.

UNC-CHeat

Great responses to the Charlotte Observer ( The Daily Tarhole-Southern Edition ) story....
laugh.r191677.gif

Blanton Allen · Top Commenter · Reidsville Senior High[/B]

Dean's favorite quote was P.T. Barnum's "there's a sucker born every minute."

Bill Isley · Top Commenter[/B]

No Classes, Fake Classes, Admin and Faculty complicit buy in ...for decades, NOBODY has done this. Ever.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100...997&fref=ts

Ann Re · Top Commenter[/B]

Bill Isley Not that you are aware of, YET!

James Schacht · Top Commenter · Charlotte, North carolina[/B]

You can always count on Barry to fluff Deano when the chips are down. Fred is correct in that Dean's players took hundreds of the sham classes. It is obvious the whole scam was concocted by Dean E. Smith and metastasized from there. That is what the unc cabal is fighting tooth and nail to prevent becoming public.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100...997&fref=ts

Western Alamance 1971[/B]

Whether King Dean was instrumental in setting up the SHAM that is unc, they certainly have benefited greatly over the last 20 years due to deception, lies, etc. Not to say he was not a very good coach but the books looks like they've been altered over the years.

Kenneth Bradford · Top Commenter · The University of North carolina at Chapel Hill[/B]

You can love or hate unc, but Smith was a class act whose influence and example outside of the basketball court are his real legacy. Yes, he certainly liked to win, but the best things he did were almost never publicized, and he never mentioned them himself.

Charles Daniel Phillips · Top Commenter · Environmental Engineer at Wake County[/B]

you mean like his players cheating thru school and covering for his assistant coach driving drunk?

Most do believe the scandal was started by Dean. Football only ramped it up and why they were busted.

Fred Johnson · Top Commenter · Chapel Hill, North carolina[/B]

Another unc Athletics feel-good piece by Barry Jacobs; Barry must be moonlighting for the PR firm that is running the unc Athletic Department.

The final sentence is curious in light of the fact that Ken Wainstein's report confirms that Dean's players were beneficiaries of the fraudulent class scheme that went on for so many years. It would seem to be very unlikely that a coach as meticulous and thorough as Coach Smith could not have been aware of the fraud.

It is not a stretch to wonder if it was Dean's idea in the first place? Barry makes a strong case for it-

There's no doubt why Dean had such a stellar graduation rate, that is for certain.

Most do believe the scandal was started by Dean. Football only ramped it up and why they were busted. "TARNISHED HEELS" has many answers.

Robert E Hunt Jr · Top Commenter · Owner/CEO at MicroHUNT Consulting[/B]

>> and less-principled operators taint his insistence on integrity and education as off-court keys to his carefully nurtured carolina way.

You mean like the paper classes that North carolina players don't have to attend?

Sigh, another Dean Smith love letter. Jeez, the man retired almost 20 years ago. It's 2014. Jordan owns an NBA team now. Let go of him already.

Lee Davis · Top Commenter · Univ. of South carolina[/B]

Simply put, Mr. Hunt, you are a basketball idiot.... you need not make a reference to something you know absolutely nothing about.

Robert E Hunt Jr · Top Commenter · Owner/CEO at MicroHUNT Consulting[/B]

Simply put, Mr Davis, being called a basketball idiot by the likes of you is a supreme compliment. Thank you.

UNC-CHeat

unx alum Bob Lee...

GPA Plumpers: I saw the term GPA Plumpers recently. Every Big Time college FB / BKBLL team has’em. Their sole purpose is to artificially inflate (“plump up”) a team’s overall GPA to avoid NCAA sanctions. They are the “small slow white guys” on the end of every bench – aka Roy’s “Biscuit Boys” so-named for getting in the last two minutes of a blow-out to try and “hit 100” to win every fan a free Bojangles biscuit. ..... FB calls’em “walk-ons”. Same thing. ...... To negate their artificial impact, just count the GPAs of the two-deep roster and/or anyone who plays the first three quarters. Another common trick is to brag about the GPA of “ALL of our student athletes”. The fencer majoring in Quantum Physics ain’t the problem. The on-going issue with the semi-literate “faux-students” is the AfAms recruited in FB and BKBLL – PERIOD.

“...Stuck In Stuck Up”:[/B] A very credible retired uncCH Executive Admin lamented to me recently that uncCH’s root problem is “They are Stuck In Stuck Up!” BINGO! I loved that and it is sooooo true. That is simply another way of saying “Knee-walking drunk from decades of binge drinking carolina Way wine.”.... Their recovery won’t begin until they admit they have anything to recover from. It’s been four+ years since the train jumped the tracks and many are still canoeing down the River of Denial. Damn you Dan Kane ????

COMMENTS:

Elrod

"Their recovery won’t begin until they admit they have anything to recover from." What's your over/under on the number of years before this happens?

BL:

Not everyone does recover from addiction. Many TruBlues never will. Don't expect them to.

DrJay (Smith)

Thanks for being you!
Best wishes to you and yours for a joyous and blessed Christmas.

BL:

Thanks. Looking forward to another year of Rampant Human Foolishness!
This post was edited on 12/23 10:30 PM by DevilDJ

This post was edited on 12/23 10:31 PM by DevilDJ

UNC-CHeat

Carol Folt @ChancellorFolt

All @unc sports teams in post-season for 1st time this fall; at #3 in @LSDirectorsCup; record 347 Heels on ACC Academic Honor Roll #GoHeels

laugh.r191677.gif

UNC-CHeat

The CYA and spin from unx in this is sickening. Three things. It's telling that unx concedes their desire NOT to try and refute all of the report. Also , Bubba's comments about "Facts vs opinions" along with Holladay's vehement defense of Wayne Walden. Roy brought Walden with him to unx from KU. Any dirt on WW automatically translates to you-know-who...
laugh.r191677.gif

DEFINING THE WAINSTEIN REPORT

Roy Williams and Butch Davis have challenged how aspects of their programs were portrayed in the Wainstein Report, and unc officials say privately that the final document produced by the eight-month investigation into academic improprieties in the Department of African and Afro-American Studies isn't perfect.

But instead of attacking the report's conclusions - or "nitpicking the sucker to death" in the words of one upper-level administrator - unc is focusing on putting the findings in perspective for the NCAA and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), who will now weigh in on potential punishments.

"We are not trying to get into every claim," said Joel Curran, unc's Vice Chancellor of Communications and Public Affairs. "We're just not going to do it. I can't sit there and try to pick apart every finding, every e-mail, every conversation. We don't have the time or the interest to do it. We're really focused on the overall findings, what they represent, and how we can apply those to what we're trying to do here at carolina with the reforms."

A source familiar with the thinking of the Board of Trustees said that "no one believes we have to investigate further." Instead, the priority is on working with the NCAA and SACS and providing all the information those groups need while still making sure "you're protecting your turf appropriately."

The source compared it to working with the IRS: "We want to cooperate with them. We also want to see it land in a place that's as favorable as it can be for the university."

unc's public relations strategy is shaped by Curran, an alumnus who was hired last November as the school's first senior-level administrator in charge of communications. unc is also paying $137,000 a month to Edelman, which calls itself the world's largest public relations firm and began working with the school in May.

Segments of the fan base feel that unc hasn't done enough to defend itself from criticism. Athletic director Bubba Cunningham said the school does try to reach out to individuals behind the scenes and correct facts that have been stated or reported incorrectly.

"Each and every time," Cunningham said. "In fact, I even tried to do that at halftime of one of our games. I didn't try, I did. Now, does that change it? Don't know. Maybe they don't make another comment or maybe they say something differently, but I also think that time and information will help. I think when the report first comes out, there's a lot of shock and awe and I think over time, people are able to digest the report and look at it and get a better perspective on when it occurred, how it occurred, over what period of time it occurred and what impact that had. Now, that doesn't change what happened, but I do think time allows people to think more clearly, more logically and then I think make more rational decisions in debate and fewer emotional decisions in debate."

Still, the university's approach of fighting behind the scenes isn't satisfying everyone.

"If (unc) told everybody that works there, 'Just keep your mouth shut,' the only thing the public hears is what the N&O writes," said Joe Holladay, who was a member of unc's basketball coaching staff from 2003-2013. "I'd like for somebody to fight back. There's another side to all this."

One of Wainstein's findings was that Wayne Walden, the academic counselor for men's basketball from 2003-2009, knew about the existence of the irregular classes and actively enrolled players in them. But Holladay is adamant that Walden thought the AFAM classes were legitimate. He wants Walden's name cleared and he worries about the repercussions Wainstein's conclusions could have for the basketball program.

"There's no better person than Wayne Walden," Holladay said. "I hate it for men's basketball if someone thinks Wayne did something wrong. Obviously we better get some facts out there because I think the NCAA will use a lot of the Wainstein Report. If we paid $4 million for PR and for Wainstein and he spent almost a year on this, then I would think the NCAA will look at a lot of that report and think it has to be true because they spent so much time on this. Even though they're interviewing people themselves, if we don't get some facts out there before it comes out, it's hard to fight it once something comes out."

Chancellor Carol Folt declined to comment for this story. Cunningham said that there will be opportunities for those who feel misrepresented by the Wainstein Report to share their side with the NCAA, which is conducting its own interviews. Holladay, who spoke with the Wainstein group for about 100 minutes, later spent 80 minutes with NCAA investigators.

"There's a lot of facts in there. There's also a lot of opinion in there," Cunningham said of the Wainstein Report. "And so if you were interviewed and you didn't like how you were characterized in the final report, then you're going to pick apart different parts of it. It's one person's interpretation of 126 interviews. It's some opinion, some fact, and it was used to try to understand what happened. It's not a legal document. It's not a document that will be the answer guide to SACS, the NCAA or anything else. It's just one piece of evidence in a large body of information."

UNC-CHeat

Brandon Ingram Still Mulling 6 Schools, Says unc Academic Scandal 'Affects Decision' (Updated)

Still, the academic scandal at unc has complicated things and Ingram said that has impacted his thought process.

"Of course it affects my decision," Ingram said. "I really like those guys a lot, and I really like all of the colleges a lot, so I'm just waiting to see what's going to happen because it will affect my decision a lot. Seeing if they're going to get into the NCAA Tournament, or seeing if they shy away from anything, it definitely does affect the decision though."

UNC-CHeat

Originally posted by DevilDJ:
The CYA and spin from unx in this is sickening. Three things. It's telling that unx concedes their desire NOT to try and refute all of the report. Also , Bubba's comments about "Facts vs opinions" along with Holladay's vehement defense of Wayne Walden. Roy brought Walden with him to unx from KU. Any dirt on WW automatically translates to you-know-who...
laugh.r191677.gif

DEFINING THE WAINSTEIN REPORT

Roy Williams and Butch Davis have challenged how aspects of their programs were portrayed in the Wainstein Report, and unc officials say privately that the final document produced by the eight-month investigation into academic improprieties in the Department of African and Afro-American Studies isn't perfect.

But instead of attacking the report's conclusions - or "nitpicking the sucker to death" in the words of one upper-level administrator - unc is focusing on putting the findings in perspective for the NCAA and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), who will now weigh in on potential punishments.

"We are not trying to get into every claim," said Joel Curran, unc's Vice Chancellor of Communications and Public Affairs. "We're just not going to do it. I can't sit there and try to pick apart every finding, every e-mail, every conversation. We don't have the time or the interest to do it. We're really focused on the overall findings, what they represent, and how we can apply those to what we're trying to do here at carolina with the reforms."

A source familiar with the thinking of the Board of Trustees said that "no one believes we have to investigate further." Instead, the priority is on working with the NCAA and SACS and providing all the information those groups need while still making sure "you're protecting your turf appropriately."

The source compared it to working with the IRS: "We want to cooperate with them. We also want to see it land in a place that's as favorable as it can be for the university."

unc's public relations strategy is shaped by Curran, an alumnus who was hired last November as the school's first senior-level administrator in charge of communications. unc is also paying $137,000 a month to Edelman, which calls itself the world's largest public relations firm and began working with the school in May.

Segments of the fan base feel that unc hasn't done enough to defend itself from criticism. Athletic director Bubba Cunningham said the school does try to reach out to individuals behind the scenes and correct facts that have been stated or reported incorrectly.

"Each and every time," Cunningham said. "In fact, I even tried to do that at halftime of one of our games. I didn't try, I did. Now, does that change it? Don't know. Maybe they don't make another comment or maybe they say something differently, but I also think that time and information will help. I think when the report first comes out, there's a lot of shock and awe and I think over time, people are able to digest the report and look at it and get a better perspective on when it occurred, how it occurred, over what period of time it occurred and what impact that had. Now, that doesn't change what happened, but I do think time allows people to think more clearly, more logically and then I think make more rational decisions in debate and fewer emotional decisions in debate."

Still, the university's approach of fighting behind the scenes isn't satisfying everyone.

"If (unc) told everybody that works there, 'Just keep your mouth shut,' the only thing the public hears is what the N&O writes," said Joe Holladay, who was a member of unc's basketball coaching staff from 2003-2013. "I'd like for somebody to fight back. There's another side to all this."

One of Wainstein's findings was that Wayne Walden, the academic counselor for men's basketball from 2003-2009, knew about the existence of the irregular classes and actively enrolled players in them. But Holladay is adamant that Walden thought the AFAM classes were legitimate. He wants Walden's name cleared and he worries about the repercussions Wainstein's conclusions could have for the basketball program.

"There's no better person than Wayne Walden," Holladay said. "I hate it for men's basketball if someone thinks Wayne did something wrong. Obviously we better get some facts out there because I think the NCAA will use a lot of the Wainstein Report. If we paid $4 million for PR and for Wainstein and he spent almost a year on this, then I would think the NCAA will look at a lot of that report and think it has to be true because they spent so much time on this. Even though they're interviewing people themselves, if we don't get some facts out there before it comes out, it's hard to fight it once something comes out."

Chancellor Carol Folt declined to comment for this story. Cunningham said that there will be opportunities for those who feel misrepresented by the Wainstein Report to share their side with the NCAA, which is conducting its own interviews. Holladay, who spoke with the Wainstein group for about 100 minutes, later spent 80 minutes with NCAA investigators.

"There's a lot of facts in there. There's also a lot of opinion in there," Cunningham said of the Wainstein Report. "And so if you were interviewed and you didn't like how you were characterized in the final report, then you're going to pick apart different parts of it. It's one person's interpretation of 126 interviews. It's some opinion, some fact, and it was used to try to understand what happened. It's not a legal document. It's not a document that will be the answer guide to SACS, the NCAA or anything else. It's just one piece of evidence in a large body of information."

The UNC gang doesn't give up easily. They're going to die with their boots on.

OFC

BTW. That list of tarholes on the ACC Academic Honor Roll that Folt was tweeting about just yesterday? That info came out last August. AUGUST! Another embarrassingly transparent attempt at PR and unwarranted self-promotion. #carolinaway....
laugh.r191677.gif

UNC-CHeat

Jay Smith @jaysmith711

1/2 Remarkable that frmr bb coach Joe Holladay continues to insist that paper classes were legit.

Jay Smith @jaysmith711

2/2 Did Holladay not go to college? Who thinks lectures classes that don't meet, have virtually no requirements could possibly be legit?

Dan Thomas ‏@jdthomas59

@jaysmith711 I am sure Holladay is aware of such kids

Jay Smith‏@jaysmith711

@jdthomas59 Of course. Coach in charge of recruiting knows SAT scores. Some of them abysmal.

ww2drew ‏@ww2drew

@jaysmith711 I'm starting to think you're about the only one still employed by unc that isn't either a) brainwashed or b) head in the sand

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@ww2drew Thanks, but there really are many others. The effort to circle wagons and protect bb from NCAA will be interesting to watch.

Eric ‏@ncsu89

@jaysmith711 to quote george costanza, "if you believe it, it is not a lie"

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@ncsu89 Athletics is an insular world. They've convinced themselves of many things over there.

And one more goodie. Stocking-stuffer. Merry Christmas to all an' to all a good night...
laugh.r191677.gif

Jay Smith‏@jaysmith711

@jdthomas59 Wainstein materials show Walden keeping coaches informed of class selections. RW and WW talked every week. RW not being truthful

UNC-CHeat

"B-Rad" gets a mention and he chimes in. What a tool...
laugh.r191677.gif

Jay Smith‏@jaysmith711

@yibyabby Won't be commenting further on data. Just wait for the lawsuit is all I can say. BB and friends will all be subpoenaed.

David Stewart ‏@dpslaw1

@yibyabby @jaysmith711 and even if fundamentally flawed, her (Mary's) research isn't useless.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@dpslaw1 @jaysmith711 Which is one of the things I don't get about @BethelLearning 's antagonism toward the enterprise.

David Stewart ‏@dpslaw1

@yibyabby @jaysmith711 @BethelLearning that he just can't see that he's doing what he accuses others of--pursuing his own narrative.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@dpslaw1 @jaysmith711 @BethelLearning Everybody has a narrative. Except me, of course. ;-P

David Stewart ‏@dpslaw1

@yibyabby @jaysmith711 @BethelLearning I do think that your commentary is exceptionally fair.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@dpslaw1 Thx, but I do need to guard against letting my developed antipathy toward Dean from becoming entrenched or closing off my mind.

Jay Smith‏@jaysmith711

@yibyabby @dpslaw1 Would love to know who you really are, B Martin. The antipathy to Dean is...well placed.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@jaysmith711 @dpslaw1 I'm nobody, but I do reflect opinion of a couple of your faculty colleagues, at least as far as Provost is concerned.

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@yibyabby @dpslaw1 Interesting. Can't say I'm surprised.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@jaysmith711 @dpslaw1 To be balanced, I know you and Mary are tight, but I blame her for half of the dysfunction vis-à-vis Dean, IMO only.

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@yibyabby @dpslaw1 Mary was frustrated at being ignored for years--including by Dean himself in July 2013. She had a right to be testy.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@jaysmith711 @dpslaw1 I know I don't know her whole experience, but her rhetoric is often exaggerated and, I think, contrary to her cause. And I don't know the legal issues, but I just don't get her reticence to present a technical defense of her study.

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@yibyabby @dpslaw1 As I said, wait for the trial.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@jaysmith711 @dpslaw1 OK, but @bethellearning said something similar about Wainstein and see how that turned out. Color me skeptical.

Bradley Bethel ‏@BethelLearning

@yibyabby @jaysmith711 @dpslaw1 I eagerly await the trial.

UNC-CHeat

As always , grain of salt. "Manalishi" has been a source of accurate info throughout though. Can't speak for the other poster...

manalishi
Waterboy
1492 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Yesterday 6:08 PM

Re: unc Scandal - Barkley calls out Roy/KSmith/unc/NCAA

Merry Christmas from Ramstein (where it's now officially the 25th).
May there be surprises under all the trees in the morning!

flair1
Legend
29075 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 3:54 PM

UPDATE!!!

I heard from a source that there are more emails to be released. The source said that they are very very bad for unc including directly linking unc coaches to steering athletes into sham AFAM classes. The source won't give me a timeline, but it should be very soon.

I do believe this is the longest thread we've ever had. Hope it never dies. I would like to know how this board feels about what will become of the academic scandal and if any sanctions will be leveled. It's been a while since any news at all. I don't know what it means. It seems to me the longer it goes on the less likely any sanctions will take place. OFC

Skysdad

We're in Year 5 of this. Unreal. That said , I tend to be pessimistic. unx deserved the hammer the first time and much less was known. The NCAA wristslapped 'em anyway. No reason to think things will be different this time. Heck , the offenses are so egregious...so pervasive. Where do ya start when applying sanctions? They may end up being the very definition of "too big to fail." Anything SHORT of a total shutdown and a removal of wins and titles is another wristslap. Such a penalty , while justified , is unlikely. At the outset , some unx fans have said they will "bring down the NCAA" and I wouldn't be shocked if it happened. Too many know what's goin' on. If unx skates (again!) the NCAA signs their own death certificate. Many question their relevance NOW. If they don't require unx to follow the rules , why should anyone else? Emmert is in a tug of war. He doesn't wanna do anything to unx but if he doesn't why , exactly , does anyone need the NCAA? THIS case is why they exist...or should be. Never mind the fact this is their SECOND visit to unx. Another school woulda been shutdown yesterday.

Southbeachstyle
Scout Subscriber
Bench Warmer
2257 posts this site
Ignore this Member

Posted: Today 11:27 AM

According to a former unc player that I know who has been communicating regularly with some of the unc BOT, the Wainstein Report was overseen and guided by Tom Ross (even though unc had to pay for it). The unc BOT does disagree with MANY of the findings from the report and they are determined to counter those findings one by one and are in the process of working to do that. Simply put, they are not happy with the information Wainstein put out. Go figure.

Additionally, those members of the BOT are determined to ensure that future efforts to "dig" into academic issues are limited. I agree with the poster above and his comparison to working with the IRS (NCAA). unc is going to provide as little information as possible and will NOT turn over anything to the NCAA that the NCAA doesn't oversee or have control over, so all academic issues will be "off limits" to the NCAA.

Finally, I do believe that some of the unc folks putting up the biggest fight in all of this genuinely believe that much of what has rumored to have occurred didn't happen, and that those responsible couldn't have ever set this up like so.

For what it's worth - which is nothing - I believe that Dean Smith worked with Burgess McSwain to ensure his players were well taken care of with every academic concession possible. How else do you graduate 97% of your players over a 36 year period?!?! Burgess, then found someone who loved unc Basketball more than her, Deborah Crowder. DC was willing to do whatever it took to ensure that unc Basketball players were "successful". At some point, that scheme grew much larger into something that will prove disastrous for unc Athletics.

unx alum Bob Lee...

unc Admin steadfastly refuses to create any sort of remedial academy for its academically disadvantaged athletes. unc prefers to use "eligibility majors" to hide them. That is an institutional prerogative. It is a disservice to the disadvantaged youngsters, but, hey, who cares? Apparently just Mary and a handful of other idealists.

Fedora (and Bubba) thought the "scandal" was over & done when they signed on. It wasn't. It still isn't. It won't be for the forseeable future.

Roy is also encountering insurmountable recruiting barriers which will drop his vaunted program out of the Annual Top Ten by next season.

The carolina Way Gang have never allowed Reality to affect their inflated opinion of themselves and are not about to now.

"They" will simply blame Dan Kane, Mary Willingham, Jay Smith, BobLee, Chansky, Holden et al. Along with Art Pope and The Koch Brothers of course.

UNC-CHeat

COMMENTS from the Bob Lee link...

Doug

As you've said unc is not truly "invested" in football. Larry Fedora is, as was Butch, expendable. Basketball and RW is an entirely different proposition. If those "insurmountable recruiting barriers" persist, Roy can safely ride off into the sunset with his reput**ion intact with many unc'ers. The burdens his successor will inherit could put Bubba on the hotseat too if he sticks around. He's too smart to not know this.

I turned down my fourth consecutive invite to a unc BB game today. Just not feeling it. Doubt I will.

BL:

My lower level buddies know better than to even invite me any more. :)

ORW's reput**ion isn't as solid as you might imagine. He ain't the most likable apple on the tree.

BL:

A selective memory comes in handy '68. Your bottom-feeders were, as bottom-feeders always do, calling for DD's ouster AND the idiot AD that hired him. Of course, lunatic fringers calling for the dismemberment of an NCSU AD is hardly "news". When, if, he loses two in a row they will start up again.

No different than their Old Well ilk. No different at all.

NOT a good past 60 days on scenic Franklin Street. And the fat lady still hasn't sung yet. :)

This is just my opinion but what is the point of keeping this thread open? Every knows that several members of various their sports teams cheated and everyone knows that the basketball team got away with cheating on a technicality but it's over with. It sucks that the basketball team didn't get get punished because of a technicality but it seems pointless to keep this thread open when it has nothing to do with Duke basketball since this is a Duke message board especially since DevilDJ is the only person that has been posting in this thread. I've skimmed over this thread and it seems like at least 80-90% of the posts in this thread have been made by DevilDJ.

Originally posted by DiehardDukeFan4Life:
This is just my opinion but what is the point of keeping this thread open? Every knows that several members of various their sports teams cheated and everyone knows that the basketball team got away with cheating on a technicality but it's over with. It sucks that the basketball team didn't get get punished because of a technicality but it seems pointless to keep this thread open when it has nothing to do with Duke basketball since this is a Duke message board especially since DevilDJ is the only person that has been posting in this thread. I've skimmed over this thread and it seems like at least 80-90% of the posts in this thread have been made by DevilDJ.
It is simple Diehard, if you don't like the nature of the topic, don't read the posts. DevilDJ has done a terrific job of keeping us informed about most of the activities of the Scar Heels. Hopefully something will come from it. If we abandon now, all will be lost. We cannot allow those cheating SOB's to get away with their crap. OFC

The NCAA is currently investigating unx for the SECOND time! Mary and Jay's book doesn't come out until March. unx is still spending millions on PR. unx is still fighting FOIA requests...the most recent ones having to do with the identities of those employees the university claims to have disciplined following the Wainstein Report. Jan Boxill , for one , is STILL employed there. Dan Kane is still on it. As unx alum Bob Lee just said in the most recent link , "the fat lady still hasn't sung yet." ESPN's Bob Ley mentioned more was coming. The Fats/Iceberg/Wheelz4Heelz/Pay4Play/Etc. "prongs" haven't been seriously investigated. Every credible educator ( David Ridpath,Gerald Gurney,et al ) have referred to unx's violations as the worst in the history of the NCAA. True , unx may eventually escape with nuthin' more than another wrist-slap. Different issue though. We're in Year Five. This ain't near over.

Over...?

Wayne Gooch ‏@Bluedevilsreign

J P Tokoto ,Joel Berry and 2 more players sitting on Harry Giles bench. That is not allowed.

B56Cg8lIIAA9O0g.jpg

B56GNo-CAAI9AUR.jpg

Originally posted by Heyman25:

Originally posted by DiehardDukeFan4Life:
It is simple Diehard, if you don't like the nature of the topic, don't read the posts. DevilDJ has done a terrific job of keeping us informed about most of the activities of the Scar Heels. Hopefully something will come from it. If we abandon now, all will be lost. We cannot allow those cheating SOB's to get away with their crap. OFC
I agree with Heyman. UNC nation would like for this to be forgotten just like they have forgotten it. That's why this thread should not ever die. Even if UNC gets out of this and they probably will because of the power and influence they have in the places that will get them out of it doesn't mean it should be forgotten. It is injustice, corruption, cheating, lying and if they do get out of it then there is something very wrong in collegiate athletics. More so than we already know or imagined. This thread cannot die.

Blame it on Boxill?

In our previous blog post, "Navigating the Flagship Post-Wainstein," we noted that unc-Chapel Hill has gone to great lengths to create the appearance of transformative change even as it has sidestepped the major structural issues brought to light by successive investigations of its athletic-academic scandal. Since the spring of 2012, unc has repeatedly pretended to learn grave lessons from official reports while it has used those reports as cover to mask its merely minor tinkering. The world has heard many expressions of shock, horror, and dismay at the findings of Hartlyn-Andrews (May 2012), the Faculty Executive Committee special subcommittee (July 2012), Governor Jim Martin (December 2012), and Kenneth Wainstein (October 2014), but the institution's remedial actions have never matched its rhetoric. unc's leaders seem not to have been motivated by a desire to grasp and wrestle with the large issues that propelled the athletic-academic scandal in Chapel Hill. On the contrary, everything suggests that they have been driven by a will to quarantine evidence of corruption, to contain the fallout from ugly revelations, to avoid honest dialogue about the meaning of those revelations, and to minimize any damage done to the athletic machine.

More...

UNC-CHeat

Honestly , I'm not sure exactly what the rule is regarding current players visiting a recruit AND sitting on his team's bench during a game. I DO , however , think it's very telling that unx would pull a stunt like that given that their vaunted "carolina way" has been exposed as a fraud. One would think they might go outta their way to avoid any hint of impropriety. Guess not. That said , at 24:55 mark , unx alum John Hood nominates Dan Kane and Mary Willingham as his "NC Spin Person(s) of the Year...

UNC-CHeat

From the "Blame It On Boxill" link...

One of the "various and sundry" who "helped" athletes shows up in another Jan Boxill email in which she is seeking a Geography independent study for five women's basketball players-"we need it for the FIRST summer session," she specified in an email to the department manager. Professor John Florin responded that he would be "happy to do it." Athletes were sent to Florin regularly.

Geography huh? Any unx athletes of note major in that...?
laugh.r191677.gif

B2unckCIAAAQAr4.jpg

John Florin earned his BA in history and geography from the University of Kansas in 1964,and the MA (1966) and PhD (1971) in geography from Penn State. He writes:

I had traveled east for the advanced degrees mainly to see the region, with the full expectation to returning west of the Mississippi. It never happened. I joined the department at carolina in 1969 and have stayed here except for brief stints as visiting professor at West Point and Sir Geogre Williams in Montreal.[/B]

Yep. He taught 'im. How many IS Geography classes was "His Airness" allowed to skip?
laugh.r191677.gif

UNC-CHeat

Apologies

An anonymous contributor has submitted this interesting reflection on how and to whom the University should be apologizing in the wake of the scandal.

When the Wainstein report came out Chancellor Folt apologized "first to the students who entrusted us with their education and took these courses," and those who actually wanted a college education do indeed deserve an apology. She also apologized to "the carolina community," adding "you have been hurt both directly and indirectly by this wrongdoing." That's a start, but it would have felt less perfunctory if she had gone on to spell it out in more detail, and of course it's not just "the carolina community" that has suffered from this apparently never-ending scandal.

A partial list of those who have actually been hurt (not just embarrassed) would include:

The parents of those kids who didn't get the education they were promised.

Schools cheated out of victories that were rightfully theirs.

Genuine student-athletes denied the chance to compete for carolina because we fielded players who should have been ineligible.

Fans who've cherished victories they thought were legitimate.

Our alumni whose degrees have been devalued, especially those in the departments that offered phantom courses.

Those who were ignored or even vilified when they spoke up about problems.

The taxpayers of North carolina whose money paid the salaries of faculty like a professor of sports ethics who "taught" 160 independent studies courses in eight years.

unc students and faculty for the millions spent on p.r. and damage control that could have gone for scholarships and academic programs.

Perhaps a thoroughgoing apology and a few acts of contrition to show that we were serious would have allowed us to "move on." Instead we're still a national punch line, waiting for the NCAA or the accrediting agency to tell us the minimum we must do, and possibly even preparing to contest that. I don't know if our administration is stupid, or shameless - and I don't know which is worse.

UNC-CHeat

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT