ADVERTISEMENT

The Carolina Way VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by DevilDJ:

Josephine (Jo) R. Potuto Professional Bio

Professor Potuto is a past member of the Federal Practice Committee of the Federal District Court, District of Nebraska; the Nebraska Crime Commission; and the Robert Van Pelt American Inns of Court (Master in the Brandeis Inn). She has been a visiting professor at the law colleges of North carolina-Chapel Hill, [/B]Oregon, Arizona, Seton Hall, Rutgers, and Cardozo. In 1994 she was a consultant to the Nebraska Racing Commission. She also has prosecuted criminal cases.

Once again , unc reaches out to someone "inside" to navigate 'em to the most favorable outcome possible. Gotta hang on to banners and Dean's legacy while paying lip-service to "reform." #carolinaway Wrote another check for it too. Hey holes...why not reach out to , say , David Ridpath? He's actually expressed interest. Guess not , huh?
My head is damn nearing spinning off my neck! There is no end to what this university will do, or how much money they'll spend to try to save their tattered azz reputation. Hand picked governor to investigate, then the best money can buy mercenary, Wainstein, for the whitewash...but he didn't cover up all the dirt, so now yet another hired gun to discredit him. Whew!!!!! Unfreakingbelievable.
uzi.r191677.gif

OFC

First time I heard, may have been touched on before... UNC football spray painted our football locker room... Are you kidding me...

https://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11930227/unc-celebration-damages-duke-locker-room
This post was edited on 11/24 1:30 PM by BornaBlueDevil

Edit: the comments are pretty funny, though
This post was edited on 11/24 1:33 PM by BornaBlueDevil

Hand picked governor to investigate, then the best money can buy mercenary, Wainstein, for the whitewash...

Word is that Wainsrein was all set to deliver another Martin-style whitewash until someone at unx started meddling in the process...tried to steer it. The unexpected release of the "addendum" e-mails was Wainstein's middle-finger to unx. A cursory glance at those and ya feel like taking a shower after. Fox involved , Dorrance involved , Boxill involved , Stroman involved...you name it. They paint an ugly picture of just who was involved and , more importantly , WHY. There was also talk that unx balked at the bill he delivered for services rendered. As a show of good faith , he offered to also look into two other departments ( EXSS and COMM? ) at no charge. unx said "Thanks but no thanks" and decided that 3 mil wasn't such a bad deal after all. This stuff is just gettin' started...again...

Refusal to disclose names of those disciplined after unc-CH fraud probe prompts lawsuit

Ten media organizations, including Capitol Broadcasting Co., the parent company of WRAL News, filed suit Monday to obtain the names of University of North carolina at Chapel Hill faculty and staff who were fired or disciplined in the wake of an outside investigation into academic fraud at the school.

Chancellor Carol Folt called the no-show classes "an inexcusable betrayal" and said four employees were fired and another five have been disciplined based on Wainstein's findings. But she and other university officials have refused to disclose their names, arguing that any actions taken aren't final until grievance hearings have been held and all appeals have been exhausted.

By contrast, unc-Wilmington announced the day after Wainstein released his report that former unc-Chapel Hill academic adviser Beth Bridger, who joined the unc-W staff earlier this year, had been fired because of her role in the sham classes.

Under North carolina's public records law, the date and reason for any demotion, suspension or dismissal of a state employee must be available for public inspection. The lawsuit notes that the law gives department heads the discretion to make employee records available for inspection if doing so is "essential to maintaining the integrity of such department or to maintaining the level or quality of services provided by such department."

Folt herself mentioned integrity and accountability during a news conference after Wainstein released his report.

"Academic freedom does not mean freedom from accountability. Instead, I believe very strongly that we have to hold each other accountable," she said. "We do this because integrity of the university is owned by all of us."

Wainstein's report names at least 16 faculty and staff members as being directly or indirectly involved in the scheme,

"It's our university. We should have the right to know what happened or didn't happen," Tadych said.

IMO , in addition to being the usual unx obfuscation song-n-dance , this is about keeping people quiet. Especially those who know where all the bodies are buried. Particularly , Jan Boxill and Deb Stroman. Both were/are up to their teeth in this. If unx tries to scapegoat either , this will really get interesting. The "flagship" is gonna have to finesse some of these firings/demotions. Should be fun.

B2_WIeOIUAEb6fh.png:large

UNC-CHeat

Well , ya had to know this would be an issue at some point as well...

mrwufabc
Recruit
285 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | Report
Posted: Today 1:50 PM

Re: uncch scandal- Media sue=NCPReq + '71uncch bb player=fire

Rather significant news item:
I received a reply from my Department of Ed - IG FOIA.
I can 100% confirm that Department of Ed is investigation unc-CHeat for Pell Grant Fraud.

Thanks for the updates DJ. This is truly sad and entertaining. UNC athletics and some of the admins are pure garbage.

Okay, I just checked this thread and noticed that 'BornaBlueDevil '& Sky mentioned the 'Lockergate Scandal' by UNC. I didn't know it had already been observed. Sorry, guys, I wouldn't have made a thread if I had seen it.

OFC

Originally posted by ponarkel:
That's ok. I could not bring up a link. The Melvin Scott story if true is serious. OFC

Skysdad
Thanks, Sky. Yeah, the Scott story is another terrible incident...if true. I'm glad I'm not a Tar Heel.

OFC

Originally posted by OldasdirtDevil:
That's ok. I could not bring up a link. The Melvin Scott story if true is serious. OFC

Skysdad
Thanks, Sky. Yeah, the Scott story is another terrible incident...if true. I'm glad I'm not a Tar Heel.

OFC
We're all glad you're not a Tarheel, ODD. You'd have a lot less material to work with.

Originally posted by DukeDenver:

Skysdad

OFC
We're all glad you're not a Tarheel, ODD. You'd have a lot less material to work with.
Ain't it the truth, Denver!
3dgrin.r191677.gif
My photoshop skills would wither up and fall by the wayside if weren't for the shenanigans of the Heels (and precious Roy.)!

OFC

Melvin Scott IS true and he's a repeat offender. AFAM major too...

B3PieHiCAAAmvc5.jpg:large
I don't know why I should ever be surprised at what happens (or has happened) at the Hill anymore.

Let's see. A player arrest , felonious vandalism , an open records suit , hiring an NCAA subordinate to help mitigate any forthcoming sanctions , Pell Grant fraud and a 3 million dollar bill for services rendered. Or , as unx calls it , "Monday."

B3QBVyeCYAA5ZLn.jpg

unx alum Bob Lee and he ain't happy...

And It is Not Even Tuesday Yet

So far this week (its just Monday) we have ONE involving unc's stumblebum administrators and ONE involving Larry's Bad Boyz.

No coaches or adult staff witnessed the vandalism as it occurred ?????? Not a one???

Of course it is REALLY STOOPID for unc's numbnutz administrators to try another "we're not gonna tell you" ploy as regards the Naughty Nine who have been identified as co-conspirators in the Crowder-Nyang'oro Scheme. That ostrich ploy hasn't worked any time its been tried since Marvin tweeted four years ago. I've got to believe that Holden Thorp left Little Carol a note to "don't do dat" but sho' nuff..... she be doin' dat again. Damn Carol, even a broken watch is right twice a day. Thats better than your current record.

Is there any difference between the poor judgement of the "overly exuberant players" and the poor judgement of the "in way over her head" Chancellor? There doesn't seem to be much difference. Not much difference at all.

For "players" to be the perpetrators is especially embarrassing, at least to me.

I just wish he (Fedora) could STOP SUCH BAD BEHAVIOR... I don't buy it with Tar Heel FB & BkBall players

Get better boys, Larry.

For TruBlues who are poo-pooing the Duke Vandalism.... IF State players should celebrate a victory in similar fashion in Kenan on Saturday, will you be as magnanimous? I think not.

Diogenes roamed the land looking for an honest man. If Diogenes was looking for a Responsible Adult he'd come up empty-handed around Chapel Hill.

NOOOOOO.... Its 7:30 PM on Monday. I'm trying to get thru these piles o' crap and Blondie walks in to my office holding her iPhone proclaiming:

Former unc BBaller Melvin Scott ('05) Charged With Rape (LINK)

Roy's obligatory "Melvin Is An Outstanding Young Man" statement is scheduled for Tuesday noon. This is apparently Melvin's 3rd arrest.

So now we have a THREE Piles o' Crap Week..... and we ain't even to Tuesday yet.

Hark The Sound! unc is such A Trainwreck... and it ain't even Tuesday yet.

COMMENTS...

Bob Johnson

Just like TGU, the issue with the spray painting is not the act itself. The issue is the lack of concern and lack of adult supervision and willingness to find out what really happened. You know in this day and age that videos and pictures will surface on the internet sooner or later. Why unc continues to think they continue to hide behind claimed ignorance is unfathomable.

BL:

That no coaches or adult staff were present to witness the vandalism as it happened is inconceivable.

mapackfan

It has gotten so sad that, even as a rival fan, you just can't bring yourself to believe that the folks "in charge" over there have let this get so far gone. I have a B-I-L that lives in CH (you know him well), and I've kidded him that he doesn't live in the "real world". I'm convinced that is more and more evident as each day goes by. When is SOMEONE responsible over there going to stand up and say: "No more!" and end this whole fiasco?

BL:

Anyone still denying The Mess and/or blaming Dan Kane et al is beyond delusional. Do not allow them near sharp-pointed scissors or near a voting booth.

58 Wolf Kennel

Only simple and predictable thoughts:
1. Find and suspend offending players just as if they damaged property with BB guns.
2. Provide requested data without lawsuit since it will come out in the end anyway.
3. Suspend Scott retroactively to 2005 and remove banner for that reason rather than academic fraud.
4. Be careful who you hire for NCAA advice before it looks like conflicts of interest or ethics.

Of course I plead guilty to bias and confusion as to how an institution I have always admired can be so arrogant or so dumb.

BL:

I'm fine with all your points except tying Scott's behavior in 2014 back to 2005. If that banner comes down it is because of behavior during that time.

UNC-CHeat

melvin-scott-jail2.jpg

melvin-scott-released.jpg

Bonded down from half a mil to 200K. Wonder how that happened...

23887140_SA.jpg

I don't know why I should ever be surprised at what happens (or has happened) at the Hill anymore.
And a national championship ring on top of that. OFC

Skysdad

The daughter of Dean's long-time personal secretary too. Makin' 39 grand a year and SHE gets the boot?! Yeah , she's guilty but she's an underling...at best.

UNC-CH football academic counselor fired in wake of Wainstein report

Former University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill football academic counselor Jamie Lee is one of four people terminated as a result of an independent investigation into academic fraud, the university said Tuesday as part of a public records request.

UNC-CHeat

Another rat deserting...?

Chas Summers @shabadoo25

As far as the UF coaching vacancy goes,hold on to your HAT. Announcement to come Monday. #Gators

Chas Summers @shabadoo25

And no, not Les Miles RT@shabadoo25 As far as the UF coaching vacancy goes,hold on to your HAT. Announcement to come Monday. #Gators

Chas Summers @shabadoo25

Fedora will be announced Monday RT@DK_Thompson #Gators coaching rumors we have:Stoops to UF, Dabo contacted, Mora interested, Freeze offered

Chas Summers @shabadoo25

It's going to be Fedora RT@TheBullGator #Freeze4UF

UNC-CHeat

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

Jaimie Lee used the system coaches wanted her to use; Lee is out of a job, coaches line up for raises. Is this fair? http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/story/263...Academic-Probe/ …

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@jaysmith711 Buck shouldn't stop with Lee. But which line - solid or dotted - does the buck follow?

DevilDJ ‏@DevilDJ32

@yibyabby @jaysmith711 FWIW , word is her mom was a long-time secretary for DES.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@DevilDJ32 @jaysmith711 Angela Lee is Jamie Lee's mother?

DevilDJ ‏@DevilDJ32

@yibyabby @jaysmith711 That's what I'm hearin.' #grainofsalt

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@DevilDJ32 @jaysmith711 Need to check Snopes or something before I can accept that. That'd be an interesting wrinkle.

DevilDJ‏@DevilDJ32

@yibyabby @jaysmith711 Like I said....#grainofsalt "Interesting wrinkle," indeed.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@DevilDJ32 @jaysmith711 Confirmed.

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@yibyabby @DevilDJ32 The culture at unc, decades in development, needs a radical make-over. Punishing Jaimie Lee clearly not the answer.

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@jaysmith711 Your nemesis would agree, but his trace is up the (old) solid line. @DevilDJ32 If unfair to Lee, she needs to raise a stink.

DevilDJ ‏@DevilDJ32

@yibyabby @jaysmith711 Boxill. Stays. Butch. 2.7 fired w/OUT cause. Tyler Hans. Took same classes. Icon. Baddour. Gold watch... #pattern

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@DevilDJ32 @yibyabby Rashad vilified for telling truth; RW gets fawning press coverage. AFAM defamed, Philosophy skates. Pattern indeed.

DevilDJ ‏@DevilDJ32

@jaysmith711 @yibyabby Alert me when the first white boy is singled out. What? None wet their beak in scam? Tyler took SWAH. Remains an icon

DevilDJ ‏@DevilDJ32

@yibyabby @jaysmith711 At what point do crackerz start sharing blame? Players,Blake,Nyangoro, AFAM,Lee,McCants etc. Blacks @ unc silent too

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@DevilDJ32 @yibyabby Fascinating point. The first person they can post-Wainstein is black? Really? Activists should be up in arms.

DevilDJ ‏@DevilDJ32

Stroman? Blames players. Shameful.

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@DevilDJ32 @yibyabby @mmountshoop As DTH noted, Stroman also taught many athletes in indpndnt study. Knew MW was right but refused support

Stephen Ricks ‏@SteveRicks84

@jaysmith711 @DevilDJ32 Her linkedIn also lists current employment as: Stroman Athletic & Asset Management. Is she an agent?

DevilDJ@DevilDJ32

@SteveRicks84 @jaysmith711 No conflict of interest there of course. Gawd. unc alum @BobLeeSays asked her for an interview. She declined.

theSal
MVP
7566 posts this site
Ignore this Member

Posted: Today 9:55 PM

Re: unc scandal- Prongs, prongs everywhere

Couple things; it is completely legal for Pell grant recipients to send money home. The fraud is when they accept money for classes they didn't take because they didn't actually exist.

Secondly, anyone who had an ounce of integrity would throw in the towel and come clean. Objectively speaking, it's the quickest way to put negative news behind you. Rip off the band aid and start the healing. That's obvious. The fact that NO ONE in a "leadership" role at uncch had demonstrated any willingness to do anything but wait for it all to go away has to mean -HAS TO MEAN - that the full truth of what went on there is so terrible, that they have no other choice but wait it out as long as they can.

But here's the fun part. The members of this forum are never ever ever going to stop until the whole story has been busted wide open. Any uncch lurkers need to understand this. It's not going away, ever until whomever the eff is in charge takes a stand, puts on their big person pants and owns this scandal. And we all know that Folt is never going to ever do that. So happy days ahead for us for the foreseeable future

Jay Smith busy tonight....

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

Jaimie Lee used the system coaches wanted her to use; Lee is out of a job, coaches line up for raises. Is this fair? http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/story/263...Academic-Probe/ …

David Fellerath ‏@DavidFellerath

@jaysmith711 Fifth graf of the story is confusing. Lee made presentation in 2009 to alert the coaches? She then asked Nyang'oro to continue?

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@DavidFellerath Yes, Crowder retirement caused panic. Presentation reflected that; she pursued Julius for additional help. Desperation move.

David Fellerath ‏@DavidFellerath

@jaysmith711 So she probably deserves to be out of a job. But as you say, the others...

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@DavidFellerath The corruption was systemic, and the questions to ask are: who benefited the most? Who sought deniability? Same answer.

Judge Bob Orr ‏@JudgeBobOrr

@jaysmith711 @paperclassinc @DavidFellerath Slide show to "some" coaches taken out of context in Report as is Lee reaching out to Nyang'oro.

Jay Smith@jaysmith711

@JudgeBobOrr @paperclassinc @DavidFellerath Which coaches, judge Orr? No one has owned up to it. No one. Purpose of Lee's reaching obvious.

And a national championship ring on top of that. OFC

Skysdad
Yeah, he's probably already sold it, or pawned it by now, Sky. That UNC edumacation hasn't helped him much.

OFC

The daughter of Dean's long-time personal secretary too. Makin' 39 grand a year and SHE gets the boot?! Yeah , she's guilty but she's an underling...at best.

UNC-CH football academic counselor fired in wake of Wainstein report

Former University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill football academic counselor Jamie Lee is one of four people terminated as a result of an independent investigation into academic fraud, the university said Tuesday as part of a public records request.
The war on women continues over there at the Hill.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Those tire marks are going to be tough to cover up with makeup.

OFC

There's a REASON unx released Lee's name. She's been taken care of. No danger of her being a "loose cannon" an' ratting out everyone. She's the daughter of long-time Dean Smith secretary Angela Lee. "Family." From back in the day...

carolina PROS OPENS ON FRANKLIN ST.

The Tar Heel basketball family of alumni now has a home on Franklin St. Jerry Stackhouse and carolina Pros Inc. celebrated the opening of its new office Tuesday evening at 214 W. Franklin St.

"We're excited to finally have a face on Franklin St.," Stackhouse said. "For all of us that attended carolina, Franklin St. is a memorable place."

The building was formerly occupied by the Wicked Burrito and has been leased to the non-profit CPI group. Right now it's the old restaurant's decor with carolina memorabilia on the walls, but longtime member of the carolina hoops family -- and CPI president -- Angela Lee envisions it becoming a staple in the community.

"We will be able to have events here, things for the community, events for kids, events for adults and we're looking forward to a lot of activities throughout the year. Jerry and the guys are playing ball here for a limited time but there are lots of carolina pros in Chapel Hill throughout the year on an ongoing basis."

Lee termed CPI's existence in the building a "long term relationship" and noted that the Blue Heaven Basketball Museum -- the temporarily dormant tribute to the history of unc hoops -- will set up exhibits and share the location later this year.

Former Tar Heel standout Bill Chamberlain was also on hand for the festivities.

"Angela Lee has been a dear friend for a lot of years," Chamberlain said. "Fortunately, carolina basketball players have been coming back to Chapel Hill every summer. I've come back every year since I graduated in 1972 - I believe that's 33 years now. But I come back every year to work the carolina basketball camp.

UNC-CHeat

"Staggering." No. Seriously. Staggering.....

Analysis of Student Athlete involvement in the unc - Chapel Hill AFAM Scandal

I apologize if this has been posted before here. But I just found out about the "Related Exhibits" that accompanied the Wainstein report. The data of interest were all the independent and paper classes classified by the report, I basically took the data and plotted a bunch of bar graphs.

The result is staggering. Ever wonder why unc mouthpiece like to tout the fact it went on for 18 years? Because it masked the shear scale at the height of the scandal. As can be seen below, the scam started small, and for many years only a handful of atheletes took advantage of it, thus if you averaged everything over the entire 18 year span, it does not look as bad.

UNC-CHeat

Analysis of the Wainstein Supplimentals

Analysis of Student Athlete involvement in the UNC - Chapel Hill AFAM Scandal....

UNC-CHeat

Roy reading the latest data....
laugh.r191677.gif

ec
laugh.r191677.gif

I wonder if any of that data has anything to do with rebounds, or a lack thereof.
Poor Roy...

This thread just keep's going on and on and on and on and on and on and let's keep it going on and on and on and on and on and on.
uzi.r191677.gif
OFC

Skysdad

flair11 ‏@flair11

@paperclassinc Why unc should lose 3 BBall Titles http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&...&t=13411203 …

Mary Willingham‏@paperclassinc

@flair11 Yep. I know. Heck, we all knew. Happy Thanksgiving! Hopefully no one will choke on a turkey bone.

UNC-CHeat

Random national reference to unx corruption.
laugh.r191677.gif

Reasons Nick Canepa is thankful in 2014

Jameis Winston - For inspiring youngsters to learn about everything they can get away with as college athletes ( at least those who don't attend North carolina).

UNC-CHeat

12/3/14 - Mary Willingham & Jay Smith, Authors

The guest speakers for our upcoming meeting will be Mary Willingham and Jay Smith, Co-authors of The unc Scandal, the Education of Athletes and the Future of Big Time College Sports, which is due out in 2015.

Mary Willingham is the Founder of Paper Class Inc. She previously worked for The Center for Student Success and Academic Counseling (CSSAC) at the University of North carolina, Chapel Hill. She was an Academic Advisor in the Graduation Division and a Clinical Instructor in the School of Education. Originally hired by the University in 2003 as a Learning Specialist in the Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes, she moved to CSSAC in January of 2010. Her research includes studies on the NCAA and university admission procedures with regards to profit athletes, and their specific gaps in basic skill deficits, as well as the incidence of LD/ADHD.

Jay Smith has been Professor of History at unc-Chapel Hill since 1990. Between 1993 and 2013 he served almost without interruption in a variety of administrative capacities involving the management of undergraduate education. He has been an academic advisor for the College of Arts and Sciences, Director of Undergraduate Studies and Associate Chair of the History department, and, for nearly five years, he was the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Curricula in the College of Arts and Sciences.

UNC-CHeat

pointwolf
A wise man, indeed
12253 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 2:58 PM

Re: unc scandal- Prongs etc - Graph of BBallers in AFAMscam

Rumor alert : Source unc

SACS is highly agitated at UNC and the SACS lady of the day wants the following and is discussing now.

a. Assurance that unc has identified all the shadow classes and has taken proper action on individuals (non athletic) involved.
b. SACs wants an outside (non unc) employee on campus to oversee the academic rigor and structure of classes in three different departments. This person is to be informed of all athletic enrollments in paper classes by sport but not by name. Person to be paid by SACS.
c. SACS is suggesting a probation period of 3 years. They are trying to define a type of probation that indicates the serious nature of this kind of academic massive cheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT