ADVERTISEMENT

Small Ball with Three Small Forwards

Zion is more of Draymond Green, Charles Barkley, or Clarence Witherspoon type PF. Who can play stretch 4 or even play the 5 spot in spurts. He probably have a role similar to Justice Winslow's in 2015. He is like 6' 6" or 6'7" 275 with long arms.

Reddish will play the 2, there really isn't a log jam, despite what they're listed as.

I love the idea of Zion at the 5. It would be better if we had a true stretch 4 like Ryan Kelly rather than DeLaurier, but it is tantalizing nonetheless. However, if Bolden returns, the center spot has gotta be his to lose.

if Bolden returns, the center spot has gotta be his to lose.

I agree with this. A starting lineup of Bolden-Williamson-Barrett-Reddish-Jones will be a lot of fun. Especially with Javin, AOC, Goldwire and others coming off the bench.

I love doing projected lineups as much as anyone, but it's just so hard without knowing our actual roster next year. The only thing I can say we definitely need is Bolden back. I like the idea of Zion playing small-ball 5 for parts of a game, it will be unstoppable, but we still need a true starting center.

Everyone else should be back minus our starters, I give Trent as of now a 25% chance of coming back, if Trent comes back, game over.

Dunkfestivallogo.jpg

Reactions: dbav
Yeah, to be frank, with our four new guys at the 1-4, that isn't really that small.

There is all sorts of uncertainty at this point, but even with the players that are firmly in place for next year, the one sure thing is we will have talent and options. That is a nice combo to have.

Let's looks at it...
Tre Jones will assume the primary role as PG and K loves having a high IQ players with the ball in his hands. Both Cam, RJ and Zion will also have the ability to have the ball in their hands. The difference is, at least in my opinion, is when Tre has the ball he's looking to set up others first and then be opportunistic but when the other 3 have the ball they will be free to create for themselves but if the D collapses on them they will dish it. It will be fun but will take time come together. I also feel like Jordan will thrive in this setting too bc he very much looks to give out assist and his D is solid already.

Wings- Cam, RJ, Zion and Alex (and Jack). On offensive they will all be wings and spread the floor. I'm assuming Zion will get time roaming the high low post to give options for the 5. But all will be cutters in the lane. On D, I think it's game to game who assumes the role of guarding the opposing 4, although Zion would be ideal bc of his strength and long arms as well as his shot blocking ability. Cam could find time there too as could Jack. This group could be incredible if depth with Alex and Jack continue to develop and contribute good minutes. Alex scoring and Jack rebounding.

The 5- let's face it, Bolden could be a monster in there if he comes back. He needs to be more assertive and stay motivated and healthy. Javin would be just as athletic as the wings but needs to add some inside game and he's a walking foul. These fixes will come in time. Vrank adds size and Sr leadership although not experienced.

This could be really fun especially if Bolden is back and it all comes together for him.

X factors
- What if Trent return (unlikely, but what if)
- what if Bolden leaves
- what will offensive rebounding be like bc Duke is spoiled with Carter/Bagley

I think K will be able to figure out how to take the #1 recruting class of all time and figure how how to win a game or two!
Starting with the champions classic. Already booked my hotel and can't wait for the game!!

I seem to recall a very athletic South Carolina team in the tournament recently that did a number on several teams and made a deep run without a big front line. We should be fun to watch next year......a lot different than this year, but fun just the same!

Zion is more of Draymond Green, Charles Barkley, or Clarence Witherspoon type PF. Who can play stretch 4 or even play the 5 spot in spurts. He probably have a role similar to Justice Winslow's in 2015. He is like 6' 6" or 6'7" 275 with long arms.

Actually he has a shorter wingspan at 6'10 (at least compared to other post men). I know he's a wing, but if he's manning the 5, he'll have his hands full.

The thing about it is we as Duke fans don't need to worry about such things as whose starting and who's not. All we need to do is sit back and enjoy the show. OFC

Offensive rebounding could be very good due to the floor being more spread and us being bigger than most at the 2,3 and more athletic than most at the 4,5. It is also possible that other teams having to work so hard to defend our 1-4 will negatively impact their defensive rebounding. Will look very different than this year, but could yield similar tesults.

I sure hope Zion is like a Barkley. I've said before that I'm not convinced he's that good. I've haven't wanted to be so wrong about anything than I am about that statement. If he's what everyone says we will be ridiculous

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT