ADVERTISEMENT

Should They Stay Or Should They Go Now?

Wow what awesome news. Not used to getting good news this time of year. I was thinking he would at least test the waters. No prolonged drama. I like this guy. he should be an all american next year and then go pro. Welcome back young man.

Last edited:
I’m shocked. This is fantastic news. And the article says he is foregoing playing with the Aussie national team so he can build chemistry with the new guys this summer. Love the attitude. Would still be shocked if Lively, Flip or Whitehead follow suit but hoping one does. Mitchell I think is more likely but still a low percentage. Id be overjoyed to be wrong however.

This is huge.. you can’t win without guard play and he was amazing end of year.. I want flip and Mitchell back really really bad but this alone helps us the most in all honesty. Go duke!
Agreed. Steady, experienced PG play is the most impt component. And Proctor really improved by end of the year, playing very well. He did commit TO’s here and there but he’s gonna be so much better by the end of next year. Vying for the best PG in college bball hopefully.

Reactions: pisgah101
This is a good sign for Mitchell coming back. Flip could go either way. With all the mock drafts these guys have a decent idea of where they stand in the draft.

This is a good sign for Mitchell coming back. Flip could go either way. With all the mock drafts these guys have a decent idea of where they stand in the draft.
Yeah the problem is many of these kids bolt regardless of where they stand in these mock drafts. Unfortunately where is Stanley, Steward, Duval and many others? As a Knicks fan I’ve seen Keels play like 2 min this season. Who knows how long he will be in the association.

Marks says several more returning. But that could include Blakes and Schutt. I'd gladly take Roach too but the word is he is moving on. We needed one of Roach/Prctor back.

Quote from BlueDevilNation on Twitter.

“Tyrese Proctor has the ball rolling with his return officially announced and here is what to possibly expect.

Once the first decision is officially announced by the university there is generally some time in between allowing for each bit of news to sink in.

Dariq Whitehead may be the first to announce he is leaving for scouts consider his game tailor-made for the next level. Despite injuries, he showed flashes of what he will become and I expect he will forgo his final season at Duke.

If you listened carefully to Dereck Lively you know he loves Duke. Could he return and get better at polishing his offensive skill set? Yes. But there are NBA teams more than willing to draft him and some who think he would be a steal and stash as he matures. If asked I am leaning towards him leaving for he is indeed a unicorn with a ridiculous upside.

I put my thoughts out there shortly after the loss and I am still more or less sticking to them. But Jeremy Roach is becoming more intriguing of late as he is undoubtedly weighing options. It is the general belief he wants to move on but things change. Not saying it will here but this one may not be as clear-cut as some think. Testing the waters may be an option but this situation is hard to read at this time.

Kyle Filipowski should he return to Duke will turn down guaranteed money. This means he truly has a tough decision to make. On the other hand, he seems to love Duke and wants more out of his collegiate career. It is no secret to those who follow the NBA Draft that next year will allow for 15-30th ranked guys to maybe move into lottery positions. I still feel he comes back at this time but would not be shocked if he tested the waters.

Mark Mitchell can do so many things. It was devastating for Duke to lose him before the Tennessee game and he was the first player to tease the fanbase a bit on social media recently. I just personally see another year helping his stock and he could have his role expanded. Mitchell can go pro -- no doubt. He would stick this season but that guaranteed and better first-round money awaits with a little more seasoning.

Coach K would gather info from scouts and NBA types and Jon Scheyer is doing the same. They look at all angles and share that info. But it is way different now.

There will be times in the modern game when you have to re-recruit your own players. NIL deals can come into play and this is all relatively new. And some sense a bit of normality will return when super seniors use their eligibility up.

The transfer portal is more than active and Duke will be no stranger to players entering or leaving as time moves along. But the current projected roster is such that they will only delve into it if there is a need.

One might expect some sort of regulations to come into play as well for it is a bit chaotic keeping up with two recruiting seasons and the many aspects that need attention in today's hoops world.

So, the announcements have started with the Tyrese Proctor news. And some decisions may require patience... yeah, I know it is tough.

It'll take walking a tightrope balancing doing what is best for young men while trying to move things along at a pace that will help solidify next year's roster.

While we may not be hearing about the transfer portal guys and Duke right now do not fool yourself into thinking guys have not reached out to gauge interest should openings happen.

Duke basketball rarely sleeps. The staff is recruiting for the future right now and soon to be at the many camps. They're balancing much with what many term exit interviews with players, etc.

Jon Scheyer is leading Duke hoops into a new era. That era is liquid as can be with it changing daily so they've hired people to help navigate the process.

Do not get overly emotional if Duke has a transfer(s) out. It happens and it is unpredictable. The team will survive and remain in the limelight.”

This is huge.. you can’t win without guard play and he was amazing end of year.. I want flip and Mitchell back really really bad but this alone helps us the most in all honesty. Go duke!
100%. If you told me we could only get one of the three freshman back for a sophmore year- I'm choosing Proctor rather easily.

The only thing we would be missing is upperclassmen leadership, but I guess in this era sophomores count??

The only thing we would be missing is upperclassmen leadership, but I guess in this era sophomores count??
Proctor, Flip, and Mitchell would all have tons of experience by the end of their sophomore years given they all started as freshmen. Come tourney time next March they’re basically upperclassmen leaders in my opinion.

I’m shocked. This is fantastic news. And the article says he is foregoing playing with the Aussie national team so he can build chemistry with the new guys this summer. Love the attitude. Would still be shocked if Lively, Flip or Whitehead follow suit but hoping one does. Mitchell I think is more likely but still a low percentage. Id be overjoyed to be wrong however.
No offense, but you may be wrong. Hang tight. More good news soon.

When is the last time we had a guy this draftable come back? Proctor was getting a lot of buzz lately. I dont think Mark or Wendell were this draftable. Maybe Tre, but he was not a very good shooter his first year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT