ADVERTISEMENT

Save It For The Second Half

Devilinside

Cameron Crazy
Dec 30, 2010
Columbia, SC
More often than not lately, there seems to be a huge difference between Duke's play in the second half of games and its play in the first half. It's almost as if they are playing two separate 20 minute games. One possible reason that occurred to me is that K could be holding back on aggressiveness in the first half in order to save fouls for the second half. Probably not reasonable speculation given that K has not been known not to be aggressive, ever.

That has been the M.O. of Duke basketball for as long as I can remember. A few years it was the 10-12 minute mark in the second half when they’d flip a switch and play a lot better on both ends of the court.

Isn't this the mo of most basketball teams when they play a lesser opponent. The 1st half is usually much closer than the 2nd half. It is frustrating as a fan to watch but it gives us hope for the 2nd half.

I would rather it be this way than the other way around. It's not how you start, it's how you finish. Course, it would be nice to put two great halves together.

OFC
Dirt are you still talking about basketball when you say it not how you start but how you finish? That's been my problem for several years now.

Dirt are you still talking about basketball when you say it not how you start but how you finish? That's been my problem for several years now.

LOL! Yes I was, Gotta, but as you well know it applies to a lot more than just basketball!:D

OFC

Reactions: dukiejay
I think we have the players and depth to play hard the whole game and that's what I have seen. I know that just because we play hard the whole game doesn't mean we are going to have off nights shooting wise and I mean free throws, field goals a day 3 pointers. But if we play hard, get the lose balls, tap outs and get scrappy and ply that slap the floor defense those things will balance out those off nights shooting wise. Get it done both halves. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Zion and Cam for two have in general been picking up a lot of first half fouls. I wonder the same thing about dialing up the aggressiveness.

I sure did like when K gave Zion the green light at the beginning of the second half against Clemson to take it to the rim. There were three possessions in those first couple minutes when Zion really took it to the rack in the half court and could not be denied. Not like I think he needs “permission”, but it was clear to me the staff told him to take it, and it was awesome to watch.

Reactions: BlueDaveil
Zion and Cam for two have in general been picking up a lot of first half fouls. I wonder the same thing about dialing up the aggressiveness.

I sure did like when K gave Zion the green light at the beginning of the second half against Clemson to take it to the rim. There were three possessions in those first couple minutes when Zion really took it to the rack in the half court and could not be denied. Not like I think he needs “permission”, but it was clear to me the staff told him to take it, and it was awesome to watch.

I thought that same thing. In fact, I felt as though RJ wasn't very aggressive, either. The last thing I ever want is for those two to even get the slightest bit complacent.

I'd like to see Zion play more within himself on defense. One of the disadvantages to being so quick and agile is that sometimes it's hard to slow down 275 pounds.

If I had to guess 2 reasons for this other than simply effort and human nature, I’d say #1 would be Cam’s recent play. The team had been trying hard to get him going early which hasn’t happened just yet. As Alan mentioned both he and Zion have had a lot of early foul trouble which has limited their effectiveness early in some of these games. It typically isn’t until 5-10 minutes in when Jack gets into the game that we start firing on all cylinders. I still think sticking with Cam as the starter will pay dividends and seem like a no-brained by March.

#2 would be K’s in game adjustments and motivation. I’m not sure if he gets the credit he deserves in this area but for as long as I can remember we typically seem to make the right strategic adjustments and come out with more intensity after the half.

Reactions: Quavarius
If I had to guess 2 reasons for this other than simply effort and human nature, I’d say #1 would be Cam’s recent play. The team had been trying hard to get him going early which hasn’t happened just yet. As Alan mentioned both he and Zion have had a lot of early foul trouble which has limited their effectiveness early in some of these games. It typically isn’t until 5-10 minutes in when Jack gets into the game that we start firing on all cylinders. I still think sticking with Cam as the starter will pay dividends and seem like a no-brained by March.

#2 would be K’s in game adjustments and motivation. I’m not sure if he gets the credit he deserves in this area but for as long as I can remember we typically seem to make the right strategic adjustments and come out with more intensity after the half.
Agreed. I think it takes us some time to understand what the opponent id doing and then to figure out how to respond and to take advantage of it. We seem to be closing out first halves pretty well so far.

I definitely think a big part is coach making halftime adjustments. And the other, as others have mentioned, is trying to get other involved early before Zion and RJ take over.

On a side note I really wish this team would get back to the floor slap. Teams in the past have done it but this team has earned the right to do. Words can’t express how happy I’ve been with our defense so far this year.

Reactions: skysdad
I used to wonder about the same thing when I first started watching Duke basketball in the mid-80s.

The first halfs would generally be played close, with Duke seeming to allow lots of back door layups. The other team would come out in the second half trying the same plays and Duke would rotate over, cut it off and score on the other end, which really built momentum.

The crowd would be going nuts, the other team would call an early timeout, but the game would basically be over. Found out later that K would make adjustments at halftime instead of at a timeout, focus on those first five minutes of the second half, and deny the other coach the chance to make his own halftime adjustments to his adjustments.

They do seem to be falling back into that pattern.

Reactions: Quavarius
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT