ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Barrett ending Vrank!!!

Hustle Vrank. Atleast he wasn’t scared to get dunked on and attempted to block it.

Bet RJ told him good job now work on that timing. We’re looking at the Dunk like it’s not a teaching moment. Where was the rest of his team while seven foot Vrank was playing two on one and one being the best high schooler playing the game.

It's a learning moment for RJ too. If Vrank had been an opposing player with a beef, that could have been a nasty foul instead. RJ needs to protect himself against certain players.

Mad respect to Vrank for getting back on D even if he got yammed on. Everyone is right, dunks like this happen all the time in open gym scrimmages. Not to mention, with the athletes Duke has been getting, this is probably the norm. We have Zion for god's sake.

Here is something positive about next years Duke team...though we are replacing our whole starting lineup, we DO return our whole bench. Basically, if our 4 new studs + Bolden are equal to last years 4 freshman + Grayson, than we gotta be much better. I think our starters will be just as good too btw.

I expect Alex to make a HUGE leap, Javin to also be better, one nice thing about Javin is I think he will be able to play his more natural position of 4/5 this upcoming season. Playing Javin at the 3 last year was comical. Jack and Jordan are gonna make leaps too, both should be able to give spot minutes even in the biggest games, unlike last year.

I think 2019 Duke will be better than 2018 Duke who was a dumb roll away from San Antonio.

I didn’t have a problem with posting the video, but I did with the RIP Vrank comment.....that should be saved for when he dunks on big bird maye. jmo

Mad respect to Vrank for getting back on D even if he got yammed on. Everyone is right, dunks like this happen all the time in open gym scrimmages. Not to mention, with the athletes Duke has been getting, this is probably the norm. We have Zion for god's sake.

Here is something positive about next years Duke team...though we are replacing our whole starting lineup, we DO return our whole bench. Basically, if our 4 new studs + Bolden are equal to last years 4 freshman + Grayson, than we gotta be much better. I think our starters will be just as good too btw.

I expect Alex to make a HUGE leap, Javin to also be better, one nice thing about Javin is I think he will be able to play his more natural position of 4/5 this upcoming season. Playing Javin at the 3 last year was comical. Jack and Jordan are gonna make leaps too, both should be able to give spot minutes even in the biggest games, unlike last year.

I think 2019 Duke will be better than 2018 Duke who was a dumb roll away from San Antonio.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the progression of Goldwire, Javin, and the Slim Reaper this year. I expect big things from Javin in particular.

I had no idea Coach K's grandson was attending the Catawba College camp earlier this summer until Mac called me and let me know! His good friend and former Duke basketballer Howard Hurt (Bubas years)had made the trip down to Mac's business to let him know. Mac told me Howard said the kid looked good too.

Howard Hurt wouldnt associate with trolls, nor give them free tix to games in Cameron. I know Mac better than anyone here and hes no "troll," and has no "agenda."

Sorry for veering off topic hokie, but I felt Mac deserved the backing. Hes a TRUE BLUE Devil, who doesnt always pump sunshine. Neither do I, but that WILL NEVER diminish our love for the Devils....

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
I had no idea Coach K's grandson was attending the Catawba College camp earlier this summer until Mac called me and let me know! His good friend and former Duke basketballer Howard Hurt (Bubas years)had made the trip down to Mac's business to let him know. Mac told me Howard said the kid looked good too.

Howard Hurt wouldnt associate with trolls, nor give them free tix to games in Cameron. I know Mac better than anyone here and hes no "troll," and has no "agenda."

Sorry for veering off topic hokie, but I felt Mac deserved the backing. Hes a TRUE BLUE Devil, who doesnt always pump sunshine. Neither do I, but that WILL NEVER diminish our love for the Devils....

OFC

He did get backing hart. The same backing anyone else would get.

He did get backing hart. The same backing anyone else would get.

He knows he has supporters here, I can tell some appreciate his straight from the hip views hokie. The folks who gang up on Mac are basically the same ones. Pretty much a clique, and thats no criticism, just a statement of fact. Everyone is entitled to their views...

OFC

OFC

I don't think he's a troll, either. But he definitely has an agenda. He's admitted as much. A lot of posters here, right or wrong, just don't like him. That's their right, too.

Sure, we have a lot of pom-pom wavers. Every board does. But Mac isn't disliked because he's not a pom-pom guy. His schtick is just old. I don't doubt for a second he loves Duke, though.

I don't think he's a troll, either. But he definitely has an agenda. He's admitted as much. A lot of posters here, right or wrong, just don't like him. That's their right, too.

Sure, we have a lot of pom-pom wavers. Every board does. But Mac isn't disliked because he's not a pom-pom guy. His schtick is just old. I don't doubt for a second he loves Duke, though.

Dukiejay you and I have had our dust-ups in the past, but I respect your knowledge of the game. We have differing views, but lets agree to disagree. There are others w/POV's here that are all too predictable. I submit there "shticks have gotten old," and Mac brings a more grounded POV. Just my take....

OFC

Dukiejay you and I have had our dust-ups in the past, but I respect your knowledge of the game. We have differing views, but lets agree to disagree. There are others w/POV's here that are all too predictable. I submit there "shticks have gotten old," and Mac brings a more grounded POV. Just my take....

OFC

Yes, there are many POVs that are predictable on a Duke basketball message board. We agree there. But I've failed to see the grounded takes from Mac. It could also be that you two are just too smart for the rest of us.

Tre > Trevon
Rj > Grayson
Cam > Gary
Zion < Marvin
Marques < Wendell

I believe were stronger at all 3 perimeter positions, and weaker at both spots down low. Since basketball has become a guard-oriented game, I love our team. Combine that with a more explosive bench, it will take a monumental effort to beat us next year.

Reactions: Tross282003
Tre > Trevon
Rj > Grayson
Cam > Gary
Zion < Marvin
Marques < Wendell

I believe were stronger at all 3 perimeter positions, and weaker at both spots down low. Since basketball has become a guard-oriented game, I love our team. Combine that with a more explosive bench, it will take a monumental effort to beat us next year.

I still worry about shooting.

It's fair to say that on paper this upcoming season looks promising, but that's also using revisionist history. Once Marvin committed last summer, I really liked that team. We just couldn't have anticipated that Grayson would struggle like he did or that Trevon would be that poor of a shooter.

I don't think "youth" is as big of a thing as it used to be, but I still think it exists. We're really, really young this season. I think Tyus was an even better leader because he had Quinn beside him. Tre is also a great leader, but being asked to be that guy as a true freshman can be complicated.

On paper, I liked our chances more last season. That doesn't mean I think our chances are slim this season, though.

Reactions: PatrickYates
Yes, there are many POVs that are predictable on a Duke basketball message board. We agree there. But I've failed to see the grounded takes from Mac. It could also be that you two are just too smart for the rest of us.

Respectfully I dont recall his admission of having an "agenda," but dj if he does I would simply say its a more REALISTIC take on things. For instance the last two seasons can be looked upon in two ways. We won an ACC tourney in '17 and barely missed (cruelly missed) a chance to play in final four in '18. Thats a fine approach for most fans and most schools, but I truly doubt K looks upon it that way.

Thats why I like K's competitive nature so much! I would certainly think he was expecting a run to the final four probably both years, and we left unfinished business on the table. People talk about that Kansas game, and it coming down to Grayson's shot. It DOES stick in our minds. However if we do one of three things better: shoot better, rebound better, or dont get lost on D so much, we win that game....

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Tre > Trevon
Rj > Grayson
Cam > Gary
Zion < Marvin
Marques < Wendell

Maybe. Probably. While our overall guard/wing talent is up this year vs last year, the great unknown is shooting.
When saying that the game has become more guard and wing oriented, that statement is something of a misnomer. It isn't the types of players that has caused a shift in focus, it is what the players can (ostensibly) do.
Which is make 3pt shots. It is the most dangerous shot in the game, and teams that can make a bunch of them will win a lot of games. If Tre, CJ, and RJ can make more threes, or a least be more efficient and consistent from 3, than last year's guys, Duke is in great shape. If we aren't making threes, opposing D's will pack the lane, restricting our guys' ability to attack the basket.

I have no agenda. Never have. No clue what that's about. The last couple seasons have made me very weary of getting too jacked up for this season. Honestly, I'm surprised some still say we will cut down the nets or get to the final four when we don't have an identity yet. So many question marks. Tons of potential though.
Maybe this team will be better, but let me put this to rest hopefully for the last time, I want Duke to succeed, but to do that, Alex and the other upperclassmen will have to step their games up. The freshmen can't do it on their own. Our 15 team and Kentucky's 12 team were complete teams.

Reactions: hart2chesson
People talk about that Kansas game, and it coming down to Grayson's shot. It DOES stick in our minds. However if we do one of three things better: shoot better, rebound better, or dont get lost on D so much, we win that game....

OFC
We had around a 98% chance to win that game at the 55 second mark per live odds Vegas. We did enough good things to win that game.
One single thing didn't lose us that game. Sports happened. Not even sports, but the most random, crazy, unpredictable sport of all happened. And we were on the short end of some insanely unpredictable events. It was basically a nightmare.

Again..given all the things we did poorly, we should have won. It was frankly just bad luck. Terrible terrible luck at that matter.

We beat Nova in a 70K seat football arena. K would have had a whole week to prepare our zone to protect the corners. The shooting is always worse in a football dome too. Our bigs would have had a field day inside.

K lost to Jay Wright in the 09 Sweet 16, no way he loses again in a tournament setting, no way.

We beat Nova in a 70K seat football arena. K would have had a whole week to prepare our zone to protect the corners. The shooting is always worse in a football dome too. Our bigs would have had a field day inside.

K lost to Jay Wright in the 09 Sweet 16, no way he loses again in a tournament setting, no way.

That Nova team was a tough minded team. I don’t think Duke wins against them last season.

He's gonna play at Duke from Nov-April, so I actually calculate that to be playing at Duke for 6 months.
I assume most people would believe the term "one year wonder" to mean you come out of nowhere, have one incredible year, then are never heard from again. Luke Hancock who won the vacated title at UL was a 1 year wonder. Brian Zoubek is the closest Duke player I could come up with. We knew about him before his senior year, but the national audience did not.

RJ is literally the opposite, he has been on the map for a while now, and should be one of the most popular athletes in the world in just a few years. Considering all of the most famous athletes in the world are basketball or soccer players (sports that allow for personality), RJ has a great chance.

You assumed wrong. He simply meant "one year wonder" at Duke as a one and done. If you couldn't figure that out you are either dense or just being intentionally obnoxious.

And, just for educational purposes for your future communications, "one year" in basketball, whether it is college or NBA, never means 12 months. He will play "one year" at Duke and everyone with an ounce of brain power knows that isn't literally 12 months.

So, you're just being odious for no reason.

You assumed wrong. He simply meant "one year wonder" at Duke as a one and done. If you couldn't figure that out you are either dense or just being intentionally obnoxious.

And, just for educational purposes for your future communications, "one year" in basketball, whether it is college or NBA, never means 12 months. He will play "one year" at Duke and everyone with an ounce of brain power knows that isn't literally 12 months.

So, you're just being odious for no reason.
Review his posting history and maybe you will think differently. EVERY OPPORTUNITY he gets he will take a shot at any of our freshman. Again, just seems like he is unable to adjust to the recent times, he is stuck in 1994. If just about anyone else calls RJ a one-hit wonder, I'd assume they are just poor with their words. But him...a lot of evidence supports there was meaning behind it.
I'm done with all of this though, maybe I should refrain from calling him out, probably best to put him on ignore like others have. But I can assure you, I'm not alone in being annoyed by his CONSTANT bashing of our guys. I guess I just got caught up in this one, it had been a few weeks.

When Duke goes 39-1 and wins the last one, everyone will be happy.

Let's see here. I enjoyed Carter, Duval, Jackson, Tatum, Ingram, Jones, Okafor, Winslow.
How long they are here has never been the problem with me, it's how I think it goes with them while they're here.
Jwill, here's my post from yesterday in regards to the one and dones that I enjoyed watching. There's been 9 that I liked. I forgot Parker. Mixed emotions about Irving, never was crazy about Rivers. I've stated my reasons on Bagley. Giles was unfortunate, as we all know.
So it's simply you looking for bs reasons why you don't like me.

Fourteen one and dones at Duke since 2011, and I've been honest and said I enjoyed watching 9 of them.

You won't find a single post of mine saying I despise the one and done and I wish we only recruited 3-4 year guys. Anyone that says otherwise is delusional.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Kansas game doesn’t matter Nova was going to cut down the nets either way

Beating that Nova team was possible. But not with the way they shot vs KU in the first half of that game.
I'm not saying Duke couldn't have beaten that Nova team. I will say that last year's Duke team doesn't beat the version of Nova that showed up on Saturday. We could definitely have beaten the team that played vs UM on Monday night.
Our path to the Title game, not the title, but just the opportunity to play for the title, ran through the 2 teams I'd most have preferred to avoid last year.
We fornicated the pooch by losing a few ACC reg season games we should have won, and then doubled down on that idiocy by flaming out of the ACCT early. If we win 1 more reg season game, and play (even if we lose to) UVA in the Title game, we are a 1-2 seed on the other side of the bracket, and we play the wobbly NOVA team that showed up on Monday. I'd have liked our chances vs that version of Nova. The Saturday night version was a team that shot well above their average, despite that average being great by itself.

If I’m the coaching staff and fans. I don’t have any issues with the dunk or Vrank trying to block it. My issue lies with, why is the only seven footer on the roster the only one back on defense on a two on one break? Is this another s ason of player watching?

I saw no other white jerseys around Vrank and that bothers me.

Dude has mamba mentality. Please just let that jumper develop and he’ll be very very special. No problem posting the video. I hope these guys are trying to kill each other at practice. Hopefully VRank puts Barrett on his a$$ next time he tries to go up on him. That’s what I want to see out of this team.

RJ has been working hard on his shot. Let’s see what happens. Still have another three plus full months before we even play a real game

Reactions: sheyduke
If I’m the coaching staff and fans. I don’t have any issues with the dunk or Vrank trying to block it. My issue lies with, why is the only seven footer on the roster the only one back on defense on a two on one break? Is this another s ason of player watching?

I saw no other white jerseys around Vrank and that bothers me.

I don’t believe that was a full 5 on 5 drill. Joey and J Rob trailed in after, that was less about guys being lazy and more about Vrank being at the back of a play where a turnover happened.

Reactions: timo0402
I'm pretty good at ending a veal parm sandwich. Just saying.

Throw in some hot poppers and it's on like Donkey Kong.

Reactions: QC Dukie
Just going to point out... it was Jakarii who started the thread with that title... not even a Duke fan.

Thats certainly good to know. I didnt have a problem with the vid ( it showed Barrett's great athleticism), was just somewhat miffed about the Duke fan referencing a "murder committed" on campus in the tape and a "R.I.P. Vrank" designation....I've moved on....

OFC

Just going to point out... it was Jakarii who started the thread with that title... not even a Duke fan.

And we all took the bait. Notice this was his only post on the thread. Sitting back laughing at us. It's our own fault. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT