ADVERTISEMENT

Retro Tourney Wins

Laettner

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 11, 2002
Since CBS basically just shows our tourney losses I have shifted to YouTube for old games. Here’s my current play list:

- Marquette ‘94 Sweet 16
- Purdue ‘94 Elite 8
- Florida ‘94 FF
- UNLV ‘91 FF
- Texas ‘09 2nd rd
- Xavier ‘04 Elite 8
- Gtown ‘89 Elite 8
- Arkansas ‘90 FF
- Purdue ‘10 Sweet 16
- Utah ‘15 Sweet 16
- SJU ‘91 Elite 8

Please add to this list!

I keep watching this 98 game and still don't know how they lost it. The 2002 one is a head scratcher as well. When you are as consistently elite as Duke is every loss is basically an upset, but damn it feels like some meat was left on the bone from 98 - 2004. So many loaded teams with supreme athleticism.

I keep watching this 98 game and still don't know how they lost it. The 2002 one is a head scratcher as well. When you are as consistently elite as Duke is every loss is basically an upset, but damn it feels like some meat was left on the bone from 98 - 2004. So many loaded teams with supreme athleticism.

Watching 98 now, this was a complete meltdown. Shame didnt get another title 98-04 but remember other programs were strong bc 2nd round nba picks didn’t leave school.

Reactions: Quavarius
Kansas, 86 FF.

Possibly the beginning of the "Duke gets all the calls" narrative. Kansas saddled with foul trouble the entire game. Larry Brown whined for days afterward, read Legends by John Feinstein, an excellent account. Brown simply hated Duke, witness the frosty pre and post game handshake with Coach K. A harbinger of what was to come in the finals against UL, as Alarie and Henderson went cold and Dawkins was the only consistent offense. Alarie did have a good overall game, to be fair, and was actually named Player of Game. Amaker hit a couple of big shots in the 2 half.

Kansas, 86 FF.

Possibly the beginning of the "Duke gets all the calls" narrative. Kansas saddled with foul trouble the entire game. Larry Brown whined for days afterward, read Legends by John Feinstein, an excellent account. Brown simply hated Duke, witness the frosty pre and post game handshake with Coach K. A harbinger of what was to come in the finals against UL, as Alarie and Henderson went cold and Dawkins was the only consistent offense. Alarie did have a good overall game, to be fair, and was actually named Player of Game. Amaker hit a couple of big shots in the 2 half.

brown just can't get over Art Heyman whipping ass but he's a tar heel.He can't help it. It's his nature. OFC

Utah ‘15 Sweet 16- Can you actually find this one on youtube? I'd love to watch it but can't find it. Same with the Gonzaga game in the tourney. Any help would be appreciated.

Kansas, 86 FF.

To the OP, When the outcome is known, Duke losing gets a lot better ratings. The majority of people who tune into Duke games actually watch to hope they lose (the irony, they whine how much Duke is on tv but they are a big reason nearly every Duke game is on tv).

Anyway, Duke gets all the calls. First off, there is a myth foul and free throw counts should be about even. Nothing could be further than the truth. In fact, the worst reffed games i have seen usually involve this. Second, the majority of games Duke needs to be fouled at the end of games. There are 3-5 calls right there. Third, the Duke gets all the calls mantra really took off in the 2001 final four. The Maryland game, Packer complains about the calls minutes into the game with the foul count 2-2. WTH? He does not say anything about Duke gets all the calls until Baxter(?) fouls out. While a weak-sauce call, technically was a foul. And Duke was up 5 with all the momentum. Most likely made little difference. But we have to explain a 33-point turnaround somehow. On a side note, unless the refs are blatantly obviously making ridiculous call after call, there is no excuse for losing a game up 22. Louisville took there lumps and did not, at least wide spread, complain about the refs last year. But somehow the national narrative, perpetuated by national media where i though this was a no-no, was Duke gets all the calls.

Duke-Zona final. It all centers around Jason Williams. When he was over the Zona player, that in most circumstances would have been called his third. Not taking into account his previous calls were weak sauce, Williams is not actually in contact with the Zona player. The irony is if the Zona player simply tried to stand up, it probably would have been called.

Finally, the aggressor usually gets the benefit of the calls (see the first 30 minutes to the last 10 of the 2015 championship game). Duke is usually more aggressive.

Man I love K downplaying it at the end. Telling his team to calm down after the win. “Play like you belong here!”

In 98, we weren’t even the best team in the state. The tar holes were better. Now the Duke team in 99 was loaded.
Carolina was probably the best team in the nation in 98. They lost two games outside of UNC. That team was pretty loaded.

Carolina was probably the best team in the nation in 98. They lost two games outside of UNC. That team was pretty loaded.

I dunno. Maybe. We didn't match up well with them but at our best we had a very good squad that year.

Incidentally, I think it was a 2nd round game when they played UNC-Charlotte. They pulled away a little at the end but it was a hyper-competitive game they easily could've lost, and probably deserved to. We used to go to Myrtle Beach every year for the 1st and 2nd rounds of the tournament, and I remember watching that game in a sports bar where practically everybody was pulling against Carolina. Which surprised me a little.

But anyway, yes, they were good, no question about it. Jamison was a damn beast.

Last edited:
I dunno. Maybe. We didn't match up well with them but at our best we had a very good squad that year.

Incidentally, I think it was a 2nd round game when they played UNC-Charlotte. They pulled away a little at the end but it was a hyper-competitive game they easily could've lost, and probably deserved to. We used to go to Myrtle Beach every year for the 1st and 2nd rounds of the tournament, and I remember watching that game in a sports bar where practically everybody was pulling against Carolina. Which surprised me a little.

But anyway, yes, they were good, no question about it. Jamison was a damn beast.
He was. I’m not saying Duke should have won the title in 98, but they had some teams, 98, 00 and 02 that probably should have made the final 4. Of course with UNC losing to Utah in 98 they may have snuck a title out of it if they could have held on against KY. 02 still would had to go through Maryland, which was always a tough game and the way I recall it 00 kind of over achieved during the regular season.

Reactions: bullettoothtony
'01 Sweet Sixteen win over UCLA. Jason Williams goes on a personal run of 19 straight points in the second half and secures a win for us. I think that's when Boozer finally played significant minutes too. Then in the elite eight against USC, Duhon hits huge 3's in the second half to keep the margin from ever getting super close. I don't know, those two always are overshadowed because of the comeback in the final four against Maryland and the obvious winning of the title over Zona. I just think the journey to the final four and a title always have some memorable games. My favorite sweet sixteen game is probably either '10 against Purdue or '15 against Utah. Both were gutsy defensive wins. The '10 Purdue game got us over the hump that we all had to hear about since '04. I knew we would beat Baylor in the elite eight. No way those guys weren't going to a final four. I felt the same way about the guys in '15 after they beat Utah and went up against Gonzaga. Wish I could find the Utah and Zaga games. Anyone come across those of late?

^ Love the sequence against Gonzaga when Winslow hits that tough, well-defended 3 in the 2nd half. Big momentum shot followed by a break in the action. Before they go to commercial they show our players getting hype and Jah giving Winslow a playful shove... and Winslow just stares straight ahead like a total badass.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Our 2013 Sweet 16 W against MSU is an underrated win. That was a loaded MSU team, we got completely screwed being a 2 seed with a super-elite 3 MSU team (nothing new, happens every year).
Seth Curry hit 6 three's had 29 points.

Our 2013 team is underrated in general. Could have won the title. Lost to Maryland in the ACC's and we got downgraded (unfairly) to the 2 line. We were the best 2 seed, and get put in the #1 overall seed Louisville's region. That Louisville team pressed full court, was super athletic, and was a terrible match-up for us. Yes I'm aware we beat them in November (without Gorgei Dieng). They were the only team better than us.

Our 2013 Sweet 16 W against MSU is an underrated win. That was a loaded MSU team, we got completely screwed being a 2 seed with a super-elite 3 MSU team (nothing new, happens every year).
Seth Curry hit 6 three's had 29 points.

Our 2013 team is underrated in general. Could have won the title. Lost to Maryland in the ACC's and we got downgraded (unfairly) to the 2 line. We were the best 2 seed, and get put in the #1 overall seed Louisville's region. That Louisville team pressed full court, was super athletic, and was a terrible match-up for us. Yes I'm aware we beat them in November (without Gorgei Dieng). They were the only team better than us.
I’m convinced that Louisville and Duke were the two best teams in the country that year. I don’t think K gave it 100 in the ACCT bc we needed rest for Seth and to protect Ryan Kelly. We were up at the half vs Louisville and that whole thing happens with Ware and air out of the building, they have all the momentum and take it to us. But there was zero reason we should have been paired together in that region- ZERO.

^ Love the sequence against Gonzaga when Winslow hits that tough, well-defended 3 in the 2nd half. Big momentum shot followed by a break in the action. Before they go to commercial they show our players getting hype and Jah giving Winslow a playful shove... and Winslow just stares straight ahead like a total badass.
Yes. Is there any way to watch this game? Youtube?

1998 vs Kentucky is near the top. That was an extremely likable BlueDevil team which ascended.

Wayne Turner vs Wojo and freshman Avery ended up a mismatch nightmare, as Wayne had twice as many assists as anyone else on the floor and played elite on the ball defense. We struggled to feed the ball inside (Brand with 4 points). We had the superior size with Brand, McLeod, and Battier but Nazr and Magloire played well enough.

Last week they aired the 1997 NC Game between Kentucky and Arizona. Wildcats won in Overtime

This was pretty much the same Kentucky team coming off 2-straight Final Fours and that heartbreaking title lose. The 1998 team swapped Ron Mercer for a SR coming off injury - Jeff Sheppard.....whom was UK's leading scorer in our Elite Right showdown.

1998 was devastating but in terms of surprise I think 2000 to Florida ranks higher

Last edited:
Baylor and West Virginia in 2010. Both teams were supposed to out athlete us by 20 points.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT