ADVERTISEMENT

Prosecute the Wake fans who hit Flip

The ACC is inept. I don’t think there’s many (maybe any) major conferences that don’t have rules set about court storming.

This was the first game in seven seasons that Lawrence Joel sold out. The students/fans stormed as soon as the horn sounded, maybe before. From the video Ghost posted, Flip had no chance. The kids stampeded by him, and he made contact with at least two. None of this was Flip’s fault. From what I saw, the push from the kid behind him wasn’t enough to harm him, but it still shouldn’t have happened.

The ACC and Wake’s security are to blame for what happened. Our players were left high and dry.

ACC needs to step up like other conferences and impose a fine for court storming. I saw on ESPN earlier that SEC fines 100k for first infraction court storming. ACC needs to impose this ASAP.

Coach Forbes could have done what coach Tang did a couple weeks ago when they were about to beat Kansas. He got on the PA and told the students to not storm the court and they didn't.

Let's just hope Flip is ok.

Sure does look to me Flip saw the wake fan coming and took a longer step then needed. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
What’s also not being mentioned is the fan in Mitchell’s face and McCain be taunted while trying to get off the court !

The initial hit is accident everything else that follows is not . If you think it is your delusional. Stanley Borden was cussing out six to seven fans that were still bumping into Flip as they circled around him and continued to do so . For Christ sakes during the end of the game when Flip was being helped into the tunnel Wake fans were hanging over the bannister haggling him still and don’t know who the woman was in Duke blue behind flip but you clearly see her cussing at them all.

Bad end to what I thought was a good game .

Ridiculous. Flip was trying to get out of the way and evading fans flying in his direction. Did I say they were intent on hurting him intentionally? I don't know their intent. But to ignore the fans clearly flying at him is asinine. And if one of our fans injured a player, people would lose their minds. Court storming needs to be banned. It's that simple.
Along with a very high financial fine. Start with $100,000

What’s also not being mentioned is the fan in Mitchell’s face and McCain be taunted while trying to get off the court !

The initial hit is accident everything else that follows is not . If you think it is your delusional. Stanley Borden was cussing out six to seven fans that were still bumping into Flip as they circled around him and continued to do so . For Christ sakes during the end of the game when Flip was being helped into the tunnel Wake fans were hanging over the bannister haggling him still and don’t know who the woman was in Duke blue behind flip but you clearly see her cussing at them all.

Shey, someone said that was Flip's girlfriend. No confirmation, though. I genuinely thought Stanley and Ryan would both have to resort to throwing hands. The entire scene was inexcusable.

Reactions: sheyduke
I hope Flip is OK and this is remembered only as a learning experience. If not--it looks to me like the Flip Family has a good lawsuit against Wake. Talk about a reasonably foreseeable event and wayyyy to little security!

Ghost, the wake fan clearly pushes Flip from behind. You don’t push someone unless you wish to cause them harm.

I don’t think you would like some stranger coming behind you and giving you a push.

Some people are saying the Wake coach called the timeout so we could get our starters out. He was reportedly gesturing to the crowd to stay back. It's clearly on Wake and their security, I can't believe people on Twitter are blaming Duke for this. The Wake coach could have said something to the crowd; but the game wasn't over yet. Not like we were down 20. Just hope Flip is alright; this could be traumatizing to a teenager. I think we can beat Louisville at home without Flip if he needs rest.

Last edited:
Took a gander at the Wake board. They have a Kyle Filipowski assaulted a Wake fan thread. I read the first page and a half and stopped reading. Not one post saying they were to blame, just making fun of Flip and saying he faked an injury and taking shots at Jon. I will never cheer for or say anything good about that school again. The thread was 12 pages long. No one ever watches or cares about them unless they play Duke or UNC.

Last edited:
Took a gander at the Wake board. They have a Kyle Filipowski assaulted a Wake fan thread. I read the first page and a half and stopped reading. Not one post saying they were to blame, just making fun of Flip and saying he faked an injury and taking shots at Jon. I will never cheer for or say anything good about that school again. The thread was 12 pages long. No one ever watches or cares about them unless they play Duke or UNC.
They hate Duke, major inferiority/ envy going on, bball just a small part of it. Unc being considered one of the best state unis and being mostly instate kids has their own niche. Wake aspires to be like Duke but in Duke’s shadow academically. Wake not far behind Vandy and Notre Dame in the rankings some years, but light years away in terms of nat’l perception.

No way they have that many fans on their page. Most likey bunch of tarhole and kitty cat fans posting

If there is clear evidence that a Wake fan deliberately tried to hurt our guy, I would like to see it. With this video, you cannot objectively claim that Kyle was clearly evading people flying at him or that the wake fan who made contact was acting maliciously. You could better make the argument that perhaps, Kyle maybe stuck his foot out there. If you saw something different, can you share it?

On the flip side of what you are saying. If Duke fans did this and they were being accused of attempting to injur a player, we would be defending the fans and calling bullshit on the people claiming there was bad intent.

This was nothing more than incidental. And embarrassing for Wake fans.
it was crazy and to the left of the video there where people on the ground getting trampled

that too, i didnt see mitchell, but the guy ran right up to mccain and stood in his face

A unc fan on a duke board laughing at our posters? Not a great look Chief. Are you trying to suggest that a wake fan didn’t push Flip? Even the dumbest people in the universe could see that.
Show the footage. He sure did when he saw Flip stick his leg out to trip a fan.

Literally everyone in America saw what happened.

Im laughing at the dishonesty. This was an injury that didn't have to happen storming the court or not.

Trash your own fan who is telling truth. Ignore me.

This is a shtty example to stop storming the court.

• Haha
Reactions: JimboSlice00
If Grayson Allen would have been in Flip shoes it might have gotten ugly. That first guy would have taken a fall.

Im laughing at the dishonesty. This was an injury that didn't have to happen storming the court or not.

You’re a certified dishonest moron.

You are an idiot. Of course you would defend storming the court, who could forget when you Tar Heel fans stormed the court in 2014 in chapel hill after defeating Duke lol.

You will never see Duke fans storming the court.

The thing to do going forward would be to call timeout, send the players to the locker room, after everybody is in the locker room forfeit the game with time still on the clock. That will make a statement. Also damper that high the crowd is feeling because they will be unsure what is happening at that moment. Spoiling that court rush buzz.

Last edited:
The thing to do going forward would be to call timeout, send the players to the locker room, after everybody is in the locker room forfeit the game with time still on the clock. That will make a statement. Also damper that high the crowd is feeling because they will be unsure what is happening at that moment. Spoiling that court rush buzz.

I’m pretty much neutral on this incident (both sides can make their case) but this is a poor take no matter what side of the fence you are on.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Yeah the players have a right to finish the game out win or lose. The home team has the responsibility to keep their fans off the court or field until the game is complete. Play the game to completion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT