ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-season preseason record prediction

When do you all think Duke will release the full schedule? I know they are waiting on the ACC to complete the conference side since the non conference is set.

I already have the 40-0 t-shirts ordered for all of us here!

36-4, and please let's have the losses happen early, maybe drop 2 preconference games and 2 in ACC play and go into the ACC tourney on a roll, and steamroll. Get to the FF, and anything is possible!

Blue tinted glasses firmly in place!!

I already have the 40-0 t-shirts ordered for all of us here!

36-4, and please let's have the losses happen early, maybe drop 2 preconference games and 2 in ACC play and go into the ACC tourney on a roll, and steamroll. Get to the FF, and anything is possible!

Blue tinted glasses firmly in place!!

To be honest, I just want a 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, irrespective of losses.

My 9 questions for preseason.
1. How good is Cooper? We know he's good but how good? Is he Banchero? RJ? Zion? Will teams try to bully him like Flip? He does have a slight frame.
2. How good is Mal? I'm not as high as some. He will be good, a OAD, but how long will he take to figure it out? I don't care how good a pro he will be. Just remember how lost Lively and Mark looked at first. Brown at least gives us a small ball 5. I am expecting Lively, but remember Lively was mostly a non factor the first semester. He was injured some, but still.
3. How big a leap does Proctor make? He needs to toughen up a bit.
4. How big a leap does Foster make? He will have more pressure this year.
5. Can the transfers play like juniors/seniors? They are new to Duke.
6. Will Evans like limited minutes? I imagine he is in the rotation but not every game.
7. Is the Kon hype real? Doing it in practice is one thing, against Kansas and Kentucky is another.
8. Pressure will be on Jon and the team. The Cooper hype will be deafening. A few early defeats might be a good thing. This feels like our best chance for a title in a while, maybe since the Zion year.
9. Can we avoid key injuries at key times? This has killed us the last decade.

Last edited:
My 9 questions for preseason.
1. How good is Cooper? We know he's good but how good? Is he Banchero? RJ? Zion? Will teams try to bully him like Flip? He does have a slight frame.
2. How good is Mal? I'm not as high as some. He will be good, a OAD, but how long will he take to figure it out? I don't care how good a pro he will be. Just remember how lost Lively and Mark looked at first. Brown at least gives us a small ball 5. I am expecting Lively, but remember Lively was mostly a non factor the first semester. He was injured some, but still.
6. Will Evans like limited minutes? I imagine he is in the rotation but not every game.
7. Is the Kon hype real? Doing it in practice is one thing, against Kansas and Kentucky is another.
8. Pressure will be on Jon and the team. The Cooper hype will be deafening. A few early defeats might be a good thing. This feels like our best chance for a title in a while, maybe since the Zion year.
My thoughts to your burning questions...

If he can be as good as RJ, then I would feel pretty good. RJ had a nice all around game where he played PG when Tre was injured. He had a triple double and I thought he was underappreciated.

I think Mal struggles with the speed of the game but all he has to do is play defense and rebound. If he only averages 5 and 5 with a block or two, he will help tremendously.

This is a huge question mark. He has been soft at times and not been as consistent as we need. I think he is better this year than last year, but I’m not sure what that means yet.

If he stays healthy, I think he’ll make a nice leap. We know he can score but can he be a leader?

I think the transfer play big in the first half of the season. I’m not sure if that will automatically translate to wins, but I think they pay dividends early.

Evans will need to show he can hit big shots at this level. He may look like Brandon
Ingram but he’s not as good as him, especially this early in his college career. I think he plays two seasons at Duke.

I can see him being a more athletic version of Mason Gillis. Kon is getting a lot of hype but we hear this often during the offseason or in practices. So not sure if that will translate to a hot start, but I can see him playing like Gillis, someone who can hit some three’s, have a high percentage at the foul line and not make too many mistakes.
I kind of liken him to Reed Sheppard, who was just a four star recruit and few knew that he could play that well right out of the gate. Although, I don’t think Kon will be as good as Sheppard, but I think he will be steady.

I thought we had a shot to win the title during K’s last season. That team had the eventual number 1 draft pick, and several upperclassmen. That said, Jon will have the pressure on him to win. He’s had back to back 27 win seasons, pretty good if you ask me, however, this team is better than his last two.

I feel like injuries are going to happen, but this team is a little deeper with talent, so we should be able to withstand some injuries. But, they will definitely happen.

I see a 4 loss season, with the injury caveat others have mentioned. We can weather a few injuries, but not if it’s Flagg or Proctor. I see our D being our calling card, and we’ll win some ugly games just on that alone. Anything less than a Final Four will be disappointing.

@johnl1219 thanks for the detailed answer. I know I tend to ramble. I'm actually pretty quiet IRL. We do seem to have better depth. If Kon is a consistent impact freshman this team could go far. In practice Jon was pushing Mal hard to be more assertive, so he must view that as crucial to our success.

Reactions: sheyduke
We have shooters but we need the front court to be very effective as the should given Dukes size .

Reactions: christophero
Mal as a soph would be a monster. But we probably only get him one year.
I think Pat could surprise, but he may need to wait his turn unless Mal gets injured. Brown seems like a key guy to keep healthy, esp. If Mal takes time.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT