ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Gameball Duke vs. Pitt (Great to SSee Capel)

Who gets the Gameball?

• Zion Williamson: 25 pts (11-13) - 7 reb (5 Off) - 7 ast - 1 blk - 2 stl

Votes: 40 88.9%
  • Other

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters

BluePhil

Cameron Crazy
Jan 28, 2008
Sorry for the delay. Late game last night and had to get up early and take a tax test today.

Coach K gets to face Capel. Like what Capel is doing and he got Pitt to play a very disruptive game against us.

I hate that we are looking like a one man team. Reddish and Barrett need to step it up.

Sorry for the delay. Late game last night and had to get up early and take a tax test today.

Coach K gets to face Capel. Like what Capel is doing and he got Pitt to play a very disruptive game against us.

I hate that we are looking like a one man team. Reddish and Barrett need to step it up.

I have to disagree with you a little, Phil. Yeah, Zion has been sensational, but RJ is playing pretty well also (and out of position with Tre out). And Cam, he didn shoot particularly well last night, but he played some pretty dang good defense. Not saying there isn't room for improvement, but we're hardly a one man team.

Oh, my vote is for Zion.

OFC

I agree, OAD. With the exception of the Syracuse game (where he went 8/30), RJ has been playing more within the flow of the game and more efficiently, imo.

If RJ would attempt to make the "correct" play like Zion does all of the time, it would go a long ways. Instead, it's more about putting up scoring #'s.

I have to disagree with you a little, Phil. Yeah, Zion has been sensational, but RJ is playing pretty well also (and out of position with Tre out). And Cam, he didn shoot particularly well last night, but he played some pretty dang good defense. Not saying there isn't room for improvement, but we're hardly a one man team.

Oh, my vote is for Zion.

OFC

Yes, there are some other parts which do not show up on the stat sheets. I was being pretty specific in my thinking and not so specific in my posting.

Other than Zion the team has been of late less than stellar in scoring efficiency.

In ACC play:

Barrett: 36.27%
Reddish: 27.27%
White: 25%

This has got to improve.

Wow. I'm just not seeing RJ as a problem whatsoever for this team, you take him away, we're dead. Dude is a tough , scoring machine. He draws a TON of attention on the court which helps a lot of other things to happen and if they don't attend to him, he's scoring.

Just my 2 cents, cause i dont create them, but when you do a gameball thread, you need to add multiple players as well as the" coach" and the "team".

This is nothing close to a one-man team. That's ridiculous. Now, could it be steered as a one-man show sometimes because Zion is being so dominant? I can maybe get behind that some. I mean, the NPOY race right now has one person in the running. The individual(s) in second are a long ways behind.

As for player efficiencies, I think those are directly tied to Tre being out. Granted, he's not the cure for everything....I'm not suggesting that. But since he's been out, we've seen RJ playing full-time out of position, Javin and Jack look like shells of themselves, our field goal and three-point percentages have plummeted, assists are down and turnovers up. Even with all of that, we've somehow managed to beat the third-ranked team in the country.

Wow. I'm just not seeing RJ as a problem whatsoever for this team, you take him away, we're dead. Dude is a tough , scoring machine. He draws a TON of attention on the court which helps a lot of other things to happen and if they don't attend to him, he's scoring.

Sometimes I do. The creation often has a lot to do with my gut feelings. Sometimes I put someone in I know won't get a vote just because I think they need mentioning for their effort that particular game. Sometimes I put team - but that is RARE because Gameball is really an individual award IMO. I also rarely put Coach K just because unless there was some extraordinary coaching decision that made the team really look different for that opponent then I want to focus on the players. After all, he is already the GOAT. Sometimes I poke fun with nicknames, etc. (less this year as I had the long hiatus of actually missing games due to health issues and am still a little disconnected).

Last night I watched the game and then today reviewed the stats and really did not see anyone else worth mentioning. Arguably Barrett, but he was loose with the ball had trouble passing A/TO too high. No one came close to Zion IMO. And no one was worht mentioning.

RJ is taking 19.4 shots a game.
Since 1993 (when this was tracked on Basketball Reference) the most shots per game by a Duke player was 06 JJ with 17.5.

Yeah, RJ takes a bad shot or 2 a game, but he has been assigned the toughest role on the team. He is our offensive alpha, part of the reason he is taking so many shots is he is the guy we are asking to shoot with 1 second left on the clock.

An UNDERRATED thing that goes unnoticed about RJ....he ALWAYS gets the ball to hit the rim even on his atrocious looks, which often leads to a Zion/Ques board and bucket.
Last year, with Grayson in the role of “take the bad shot at end of the clock”....a lot of air balls, a lot of lost possessions.

This is nothing close to a one-man team. That's ridiculous. Now, could it be steered as a one-man show sometimes because Zion is being so dominant? I can maybe get behind that some. I mean, the NPOY race right now has one person in the running. The individual(s) in second are a long ways behind.

As for player efficiencies, I think those are directly tied to Tre being out. Granted, he's not the cure for everything....I'm not suggesting that. But since he's been out, we've seen RJ playing full-time out of position, Javin and Jack look like shells of themselves, our field goal and three-point percentages have plummeted, assists are down and turnovers up. Even with all of that, we've somehow managed to beat the third-ranked team in the country.

I admit, and tried to clarify that my focus was not precise in my posting. Somewhat being facetious, but stand behind my lament of shooting efficiencies.

Before Tre went out ACC ONLY:

Barrett - 41.9% (Season avg of 45.9%)
Reddish - 29.4% (Season Avg of 36.4%)
White - 50% (But take out just the Clemson game and he is 7.1%) (Season avg 40.4%)

So except for Jack and one stellar game by him all dropped off pretty significantly from their season avgs

I think this is a great observation. Without Tre, the team seems pretty devoid of assists. Everyone is creating their own scoring opportunity. Zion is the most capable.

Want Tre back soon.

RJ was good. But we’re witnessing someone really, really special in Zion.

You lose a starting pg as good as Tre, you're usually going to see a drop in efficiency by everyone. Zion is just special and RJ is having to play outside his normal position. We've only had a little over a week to adjust. I hope no one really expected us to just steam roll ahead. We need Tre back, but I think we're doing fine considering the circumstances.

Reactions: QC Dukie
You lose a starting pg as good as Tre, you're usually going to see a drop in efficiency by everyone. Zion is just special and RJ is having to play outside his normal position. We've only had a little over a week to adjust. I hope no one really expected us to just steam roll ahead. We need Tre back, but I think we're doing fine considering the circumstances.
Thank you

Went with Zion this time. Could have easily have been RJ. He is a scoring machine. Bolden should also get a shout out. He is really doing his job as as rim protecter.
OFC

I’m baffled why we keep referring to RJ as if he’s been a detriment to the team. Even calling him out for the shots he’s being asked to take is a bit low right now. Or maybe I’m the one who is off base here. I could be a homer I guess.

I’d argue that RJ is the second most important player in this team.

I said something similar in a thread on the National College Basketball message board. Without Barrett on the team then we probably have more than 2 losses at this point in the season.

RJ is not a ball hog, and he’s not selfish. He does force a few shots each game, nothing wrong with saying that. That’s not being critical of him.
He’s very important to this team, and due to the fact we have too many guys that are limited offensively, we need his scoring.

Reactions: dukehokie
RJ is not a ball hog, and he’s not selfish. He does force a few shots each game, nothing wrong with saying that. That’s not being critical of him.
He’s very important to this team, and due to the fact we have too many guys that are limited offensively, we need his scoring.

This is fair. There are absolutely times you wish he’d kick it out. What I’m hoping is that he continues to kick it, despite our shooting woes, because the more opportunities the guys get, the better the chances for them to get out of this slump. For now, I’m all for RJ and Zion to keep carrying the load.

I am pretty shocked reading some of this. Without Zion on the team putting up historically good numbers we are probably looking at RJ having one of the best freshman seasons ever for Duke. To say that someone averaging 24pts 7reb 4ast 1stl per game has been anything short of spectacular blows my mind. He is near the top of the list for NPOY as a freshman, will be first team ACC, and continues to improve. Does he always make the right play? No, but how many freshmen do? For every one time he drives into too much traffic and makes an off balance shot there are 5 more times a game where he makes RIDICULOUS finishes at the basket or draws a foul. He is also taking more shots than we are used to seeing because we are playing at a higher tempo than any Duke team since 2002 by a pretty wide margin.

"He isn't doing anything K did not green light"?
K approves of how he plays... RJ plays the way he plays with K's blessing... If K thought there was something wrong with the way RJ plays, we'd see a change.
There was a change for a few games....And it's okay if you choose to ignore the fact that he takes some horrid shots, but I think it's okay for me to question some of those shots also.

There was a change for a few games....And it's okay if you choose to ignore the fact that he takes some horrid shots, but I think it's okay for me to question some of those shots also.
I don't agree with much of what you say, but you make a good point here. You made a real bad post earlier, causing folks to jump on you.

Most other fan bases think he shoots too much. Many of our posters don't.

Reactions: skysdad
I think Barrett shoots a lot. Not too much. Sometimes he takes bad shots, even. Most of the time his bad shots aren't even terrible shots, though. We have two dynamic scorers on this team and have yet to find one consistent outside shooter. That's a much larger issue, IMO, than RJ taking a few 'questionable' shots each game. He's a pure scorer. J.J. took a lot of shots, too.

I agree that the disproportionate FG attempts look troubling on paper, and I agree that he forces some shots, but as he is a great scorer, he has the green light to be aggressive. I would argue that a missed shot or turnover due to aggression could still very well be within the flow of the offense when it's RJ, as opposed to if it were Javin.

I think if you encourage a player to be aggressive, you have to resist the urge to second guess every miss, or a player's overall approach. That's a small price to pay for the overwhelming benefit.

Reactions: DukefanKY
I agree with much of what you say and you make a good point here. You made an excellent post earlier, causing folks to jump to their own negative conclusions.

Most other fan bases think he shoots too much. Many of our posters don't.
Thanks man, appreciate ya!

Don’t play “everyone’s picking on me, because I’m telling the truth.” You straight up said he’s padding his stats and not worrying about the team, and it’s been your rhetoric all season.

Most everyone on this board has said there are times RJ could pass more, but your statement that was highlighted was idiotic and it wasn’t the first time this year you’ve made that insinuation.

I’m baffled why we keep referring to RJ as if he’s been a detriment to the team. Even calling him out for the shots he’s being asked to take is a bit low right now. Or maybe I’m the one who is off base here. I could be a homer I guess.

I’d argue that RJ is the second most important player in this team.
Don’t say “we” it’s a few posters lol. :)

Initially (Canada) I thought RJ shot too much and was a problem. Even after Tre was back. As the seasons went on I see why and hope he continues to shoot too much lol. Now it does drive me crazy seeing some of his (bad) shots. Same with Zion. Kids though :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT