ADVERTISEMENT

OT Duke Football in Atlanta

Skeelow22

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Sep 16, 2005
Hope it's ok to post here in the basketball forum. If not mods feel free to remove post.

I'm really thinking about going to see Duke football play Alabama Labor Day weekend. Anybody here been to Atlanta or from the area that can give advice? I want to stay as close as possible to the stadium and maybe go see a baseball game or World of Coca Cola. What hotels would you recommend on a budget that is close to the stadium? Not looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel. Just a decent place to stay as we will be out at the game or checking out what else there is to do. Thanks on any advice!

I went to the FedEx golf championship a couple years ago and stayed at airport Hilton. It was nice and well located

Reactions: Skeelow22
Hope it's ok to post here in the basketball forum. If not mods feel free to remove post.

I'm really thinking about going to see Duke football play Alabama Labor Day weekend. Anybody here been to Atlanta or from the area that can give advice? I want to stay as close as possible to the stadium and maybe go see a baseball game or World of Coca Cola. What hotels would you recommend on a budget that is close to the stadium? Not looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel. Just a decent place to stay as we will be out at the game or checking out what else there is to do. Thanks on any advice!
My buddies and I were considering going down for the weekend as well and going to the game.
The baseball stadium is like 45 minutes away (much longer in ATL traffic) from downtown, which is where the football stadium is.
I didn't personally research it, but my buddy said that hotels are absolutely ridiculous for that weekend. Given the fact it's labor day weekend and Alabama football is there (soooo many Bama fans live in ATL), a Holiday Inn in the suberbs (15 miles from downtown), was $200 a night.
Anywhere downtown is at least $300 a night.

We decided against making the trip...
Tickets at least $100 a pop to watch Bama flex their muscles on Duke didn't seem worth it.

My buddies and I were considering going down for the weekend as well and going to the game.
The baseball stadium is like 45 minutes away (much longer in ATL traffic) from downtown, which is where the football stadium is.
I didn't personally research it, but my buddy said that hotels are absolutely ridiculous for that weekend. Given the fact it's labor day weekend and Alabama football is there (soooo many Bama fans live in ATL), a Holiday Inn in the suberbs (15 miles from downtown), was $200 a night.
Anywhere downtown is at least $300 a night.

We decided against making the trip...
Tickets at least $100 a pop to watch Bama flex their muscles on Duke didn't seem worth it.

Oh wow. I didn't know the baseball stadium is 45 + minutes away. I was considering going to a Friday Braves game before Saturday football game. I have heard traffic is bad there but myself have no idea. Thanks on the advice.

Reactions: jwill133
I went down for the Chick-Fil-A Bowl a few years ago when Duke was participating. Hotels in Atlanta were very expensive and the closer we looked to the stadium the more expensive they got. I found a room outside the city - was maybe a 45 min drive - for less than $100 a night. We came into Atlanta around noon for a 7:30 kickoff I think it was and walked around and saw the sights. Had dinner at The Varsity the night before. Toured CNN and Coke and Olympic Village. We had a great time - up until Johnny Asshole, I mean Football started showing off.

I went down for the Chick-Fil-A Bowl a few years ago when Duke was participating. Hotels in Atlanta were very expensive and the closer we looked to the stadium the more expensive they got. I found a room outside the city - was maybe a 45 min drive - for less than $100 a night. We came into Atlanta around noon for a 7:30 kickoff I think it was and walked around and saw the sights. Had dinner at The Varsity the night before. Toured CNN and Coke and Olympic Village. We had a great time - up until Johnny Asshole, I mean Football started showing off.

Thanks for the advice. I might look outside Atlanta if I go to save on hotel. When you went to tour CNN, Coke, Olympic Village, how hard was it to find parking?

Thanks for the advice. I might look outside Atlanta if I go to save on hotel. When you went to tour CNN, Coke, Olympic Village, how hard was it to find parking?
They opened the game-day parking early so we went ahead and parked and just walked around from there. I'm not sure about parking beyond that - it's the only time I've stopped in Atlanta. All the rest of the times I keep on driving through.

I haven’t lived in ATL for 15 years, but when I did I avoided downtown at all costs. With Uber and Lyft now available that’s how I’d do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT