ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Buy or Sell, NC State will have 2 of the best bigs next season?

PixelDevil

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Dec 16, 2016
Not even mad bro
In Abdul Malik-Abu and Omer Yurtseven. Abu is a physical specimen and had an outstanding sophomore season, nearly averaging a double-double. He regressed a bit last year, but I would honestly chalk that up to bad coaching. He has all the physical tools, and is a great inside presence. If he has continued to work on his jumper, and can connect at a decent clip, he could have an all acc time season.

With Omer it's a little less certain, but he is still a very skilled player. From what I saw last year and form what I've heard, it was more of a confidence thing with him. Playing overseas with his home team this summer and the fact that he'll be playing the whole season, I think he'll improve a great deal and be a really good player as well.

Thoughts?

Not only am I selling, I'm taking out a massive loan and shorting a few million more shares of these two.
Are you kidding me? Yurtseven was a joke last year, given the hype.
Bagley and Carter or Bagley/Bolden is a far superior combo. Arizona has 2 bigs too who would destroy the NC state duo. Could probably name many more teams as well, but not insterested due to the ridiculousness of the OP.

I do think Abu will have a bounce back season, but I'm not sure he's in the conversation for one of the best bigs. He's kind of what he was his sophomore season, which don't get me wrong, is a decent player.

As for Yurtseven, the jury is still out. Like Bolden, he came in with a lot of hype and was very underwhelming. I think he has the potential to be a nice college player and be very good for State. But I'm not buying him, either, as being one of the best bigs.

Interesting topic. Based off of their history and the turmoil State has been under for quite a while, I'd say sell.

I'm curious though to see how Keatts does there. Never met the man, and he's coming into a program that has almost gotten accustomed to losing as Duke has to winning. If what I've heard about him is true then he will take no crap from his players, and to me discipline and effort will be a given. The power of a good coach can cause positive things to happen, and I think Keatts is going to be what State needs.

Pixel, you only asked people's opinion, and no one should call your post ridiculous.

Interesting topic. Based off of their history and the turmoil State has been under for quite a while, I'd say sell.

I'm curious though to see how Keatts does there. Never met the man, and he's coming into a program that has almost gotten accustomed to losing as Duke has to winning. If what I've heard about him is true then he will take no crap from his players, and to me discipline and effort will be a given. The power of a good coach can cause positive things to happen, and I think Keatts is going to be what State needs.

Pixel, you only asked people's opinion, and no one should call your post ridiculous.

Agree Pixel with what Mac said you asked a legitimate question thats provoked discussion so the notion your post is "ridiculous" is foolish and uncalled for. There are some so called self proclaimed gurus of hoops here, but at the end of the day our opinions on this message board all count the same my friend. Hope you keep posting!

Now in response to your question, I truly think Kevin Keatts is a no-nonsense guy who will get the most mileage possible out of his players. I would be selling, but that doesnt mean Abu wont revert back to the form of his sophomore campaign. Yurtseven I would say is a mystery and I think the biggest offseason priority for him was undoubtedly the weight room.

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
I think Keatts will ( in time) have state at a competition level.
The seven footed is to soft but Abu if he plays to his potential can be good.

Yurt, came back because no one was sold in the draft on his overall potential this year will tell a lot about him. I think they will be an ok front court.

someone called my post ridiculous?

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
Not only am I selling, I'm taking out a massive loan and shorting a few million more shares of these two.
Bagley and Carter or Bagley/Bolden is a far superior combo. Arizona has 2 bigs too who would destroy the NC state duo. Could probably name many more teams as well, but not insterested due to the ridiculousness of the OP.
Oh it was this dude. Lol, take it easy guy, just a conversation starter.

I will buy if we're just talking about your starting power forwards and centers. State's depth is lacking quite a bit. Bagley, Colson, and Lammers are all big-time players in the post. There will be a few others that step up this year, too. But for the most part, I expect the ACC to be dominated by guards (we have the best frontcourt by far). So while I think NC State might have one of the better starting frontcourts, I'm not sure it will be enough to put them in the NCAA Tournament. ACC lost a load of talented bigs last season. Here's how I would rank the bigs, by position. I'm ranking this according to the biggest impact, not the most talented players (basically whoever contributes the most to win-shares).

4's:
1. Marvin Bagley, Duke
2. Bonzie Colson, Notre Dame
3. Deontae Hawkins, Boston College (via Illinois State)
4. Chris Clarke, Virgina Tech
5. Abdul-Malik Abu, NC State
6. Oshae Brissett, Syracuse
7. Raymond Spalding, Louisville
8. Isaiah Wilkins, Virginia
9. Luke Maye, North Carolina
10. Ryan Luther, Pittsburgh

5's:
1. Ben Lammers, Georgia Tech
2. Wendell Carter, Duke
3. Dewan Huell, Miami
4. Elijah Thomas, Clemson
5. Omer Yurtseven, NC State
6. Marques Bolden, Duke
7. Anas Mahmoud, Louisville
8. Malik Williams, Louisville
9. Kerry Blackshear, Virgina Tech
10. Mamadi Diakite, Virginia

I will buy if we're just talking about your starting power forwards and centers. State's depth is lacking quite a bit. Bagley, Colson, and Lammers are all big-time players in the post. There will be a few others that step up this year, too. But for the most part, I expect the ACC to be dominated by guards (we have the best frontcourt by far). So while I think NC State might have one of the better starting frontcourts, I'm not sure it will be enough to put them in the NCAA Tournament. ACC lost a load of talented bigs last season. Here's how I would rank the bigs, by position. I'm ranking this according to the biggest impact, not the most talented players (basically whoever contributes the most to win-shares).

4's:
1. Marvin Bagley, Duke
2. Bonzie Colson, Notre Dame
3. Deontae Hawkins, Boston College (via Illinois State)
4. Chris Clarke, Virgina Tech
5. Abdul-Malik Abu, NC State
6. Oshae Brissett, Syracuse
7. Raymond Spalding, Louisville
8. Isaiah Wilkins, Virginia
9. Luke Maye, North Carolina
10. Ryan Luther, Pittsburgh

5's:
1. Ben Lammers, Georgia Tech
2. Wendell Carter, Duke
3. Dewan Huell, Miami
4. Elijah Thomas, Clemson
5. Omer Yurtseven, NC State
6. Marques Bolden, Duke
7. Anas Mahmoud, Louisville
8. Malik Williams, Louisville
9. Kerry Blackshear, Virgina Tech
10. Mamadi Diakite, Virginia
I like your list and Colson is just a baller you almost have to like the kid.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I like your list and Colson is just a baller you almost have to like the kid.

Yep....Colson is the man. He always brings his best against us, but that's almost one of the reasons to like him. He loves the big moment. I don't think anyone could have seen him becoming the kind of player he is....he's one of the best big men in college basketball.

Yep....Colson is the man. He always brings his best against us, but that's almost one of the reasons to like him. He loves the big moment. I don't think anyone could have seen him becoming the kind of player he is....he's one of the best big men in college basketball.

And as scarce a commodity in the college hoops game as a nickel cigar now considering his unwillingness to jump to the LEAGUE.

OFC

I thought State has a chance to be really good last year. So much we Duke fans take for granted.

giphy.gif

And you called my post ridiculous.

A pix never forgets.

NC State has to be one of the flakiest teams ever. I could see them upsetting us and then not even showing up against Carolina. I mean literally not showing up; forgetting they have a game that night and going to a movie instead.

Reactions: dukiejay
NC State has to be one of the flakiest teams ever. I could see them upsetting us and then not even showing up against Carolina. I mean literally not showing up; forgetting they have a game that night and going to a movie instead.
That was the Gottfather era. That won't happen with keat, he doesn't play that game. They're not gonna win every game, and they may not hang around in every game, but they will show up.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I don't understand anybody over here dogging State. They can beat us anytime, even when they suck royally they can take us. I think they surprise a lot of people this year.

Cant speak for anyone else, but I wasn't dogging State. They have just been a head scratcher to me for years, going all the way back to Valvano. I was one of the guys who thought they could be one of the better teams in the ACC last year. They have wrecked a ton of my brackets over the years.

I'm not sure but I don't think either one of them started against Zona. OFC

I don't understand anybody over here dogging State. They can beat us anytime, even when they suck royally they can take us. I think they surprise a lot of people this year.

They seem to get us pretty regularly in Raleigh....And we dont even need to talk about Durham last year...
#MuchRespectForPack
#GreatUpsetWinLastNite

OFC

Reactions: PixelDevil
They seem to get us pretty regularly in Raleigh....And we dont even need to talk about Durham last year...
#MuchRespectForPack
#GreatUpsetWinLastNite

OFC

If NCSU starts beating unc on a regular basis the heel fans will go nuts and some of the hate towards Duke will be differed to Raleigh. I was around during Norm Sloan's day with David Thompson, Monte Towe and Tommy Burleson. It wasn't like it is with Coach K and Duke now but it was there. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
If NCSU starts beating unc on a regular basis the heel fans will go nuts and some of the hate towards Duke will be differed to Raleigh. I was around during Norm Sloan's day with David Thompson, Monte Towe and Tommy Burleson. It wasn't like it is with Coach K and Duke now but it was there. OFC

Sky Is right! Us older folks remember the DEEP ANIMOSITY between Dean and Stormin' Norman!

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
You jinxed them Show. As long as you can do the same for our friends 8 miles down the road, all will be good

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT