ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread: Duke Vs Boston College

Lively. What a massively overrated prospect. No ball skills. He’s basically an athletic 7 foot athlete. But needs about two years of hard working college ball to be NBA ready. He will probably be a G league (or D or whatever TF it’s called at this point) player. He would be best suited to take a top tier NIL deal and work his butt off at Duke.

Watching the game now and will have some thoughts. I'm not expecting it to be pretty; but at least it's a W. If we lost I wouldn't watch it.
1. Young with 2 nice passes and a finish. Our offense needs to go through him.
2. Whitehead with 2 nice jumpers. He's getting there.
3. I saw one play that seems to illustrate why Lively is struggling. Flip misses a shot, then Lively, instead of boxing out and rebounding, tries to dunk it back in. This isn't high school.
4. Young another nice pass for a Mitchell dunk. Young also absorbs contact, as the announcer says.
5. We are giving up a lot of 3s. Our perimeter defense is poor.
6. If Proctor can hit a few 3s each game that really helps us. He's playing better. That said he is not strong with the ball in traffic. He needs to clean that up.
7. Young with a nice move. Why has he only taken 3 shots? We need to get him the ball more.
8. 2 blocks by Flip and Young when BC could have taken the lead. That was big.
9. That Mitchell block saved the game. Wow. Nice drive by Flip. Terrible inbound pass by Proctor.
10. Good Lord I'm glad I didn't watch this game I would have smashed my TV. Why did Mitchell throw it to the BC guy? If that went in that would have been catastrophic. Whew. Survived. Reminds me of the Zion CFU game. We threw it away 3 times at the end.
11. Can we please work on our inbounding this week?
12. Jon is young, and he's learning. But we do not look like a well coached team at the moment. I'm sure the youth does not help. Plenty of time to grow. We will need to be better to beat Pitt and Clemson. We need at least 1 of 2.
Remember, we did not have Roach, our junior captain. Nice win. let's kick Pitt's *** at home!

Last edited:
Unfortunately these guys need to work on the basics this week because we not getting away with giving the ball away on in bounds. If I was Capel I would press us from the start

Reactions: christophero
I was the inbounder in high school and I don't think I threw it away in 2 years. Of course it wasn't the ACC haha. You call a TO if no one is open.

The press won’t work against Duke . The Inbounds play became a problem because they could not run the base line .
Duke was allowing BC to shoot the three. They are the second worse three point shooting team in the country . They live in the lane .
Jon simply needs to let the starting five remain in the game to get a rhythm going and only sub when needed. Grandison, Blakes and lively will be fine coming off the bench .
No Grandison plays well against lower competition. He can’t truly defend his man constantly blows by him and while he is an ok help defender don’t see where his stats warrant anything more then the time he is getting now .

Reactions: Devilinside
Are we really saying the problem is a top 75 freshman is not playing? I like Schutt but geez. If he was raining 3s in practice I think he'd get a shot. Esp. with Roach out. These coaches see these guys every day. I would like to see Schutt too for a few minutes. But Blakes seems to be ahead of him right now. But I see your point. If Reeves can't get in with Lively out, and Schutt can't get in with Roach out, that has to be discouraging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fourteen44
Are we really saying the problem is a top 75 freshman is not playing? I like Schutt but geez. If he was raining 3s in practice I think he'd get a shot.
No, it’s that because the other guards are struggling.

I’m not saying he would help. If our point guard play and ball movement doesn’t improve , I don’t think it matters who we have out there ready to shoot.

Maybe that’s because he’s been hurt. When Roach has been good, which hasn’t been lately, the team was too.
Is it coincidence that the team has played bad about the same time Roach injured his toe?
It's not "coincidence." I think it's an extremely valid point! Since the toe injury Duke's level of play has dropped significantly. Unfortunately the only choice was sitting him down- he was killing us.

I just wonder how badly off his toe is now. If Jeremy has reaggravated it (and he was in a boot) he could be out at least a month.

Scheyer is also looking at a dubious distinction: Becoming the 1st Duke team since '94,after the school visited the Final Four not to make the Big Dance the following year. Bill Foster in '78, and K after all of his FF trips but one ('86,'88, '89, '90,'91, '92, '01, '04, '10, '15,) all made the tourney the next season. Didn't return in '95,(K had the back injury).Do Scheyer and this cast of characters have what it takes to return after K's final four trip last season? Stay tuned. OFC

Last edited:
Are we really saying the problem is a top 75 freshman is not playing? I like Schutt but geez. If he was raining 3s in practice I think he'd get a shot. Esp. with Roach out. These coaches see these guys every day. I would like to see Schutt too for a few minutes. But Blakes seems to be ahead of him right now. But I see your point. If Reeves can't get in with Lively out, and Schutt can't get in with Roach out, that has to be discouraging.
Blakes is ahead of every guard except Whitehead and Roach .
I say let him play because he couldn’t be any worse then the rest .
Going forward I just want the starting five to stay the same . And leave them on the court !

Blakes is ahead of every guard except Whitehead and Roach .
I say let him play because he couldn’t be any worse then the rest .
Going forward I just want the starting five to stay the same . And leave them on the court !
Agreed. Blakes is definitely better than Tyrese, but Jon has a hard for Proctor for some reason. Tyrese to me is nothing more than a glorified Derryck Thornton, another Duke reclassed guard.

OFC

Based on what I saw today, I think Proctor is ahead of Blakes. But I think Proctor needs some of Blake's toughness. Maybe if we could combine them into one guard.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hart2chesson
It's good we are adjusting to playing without Roach. Win two more and the "are we better without Roach?" posts will begin. (We are not, assuming he's healthy) Maybe Proctor can use this chance to thrive.

This x10,000

Tired of hearing about Schutt. I go on about Reeves but that kid at least has a college-ready frame and length. Schutt looks like a high school kid out there. His time will come, just not this year.

That said, Grandison needs to step up. Young has done everything asked of him and more. I think next year we should be more aggressive in the transfer market, unless everyone comes back.

Last edited:
This x10,000

Tired of hearing about Schutt. I go on about Reeves but that kid at least has a college-ready frame and length. Schutt looks like a high school kid out there. His time will come, just not this year.
Prepare for more Fourteen, lol. Schutt needs to play. Grandison has gone south. Schutt is our leading 3 pt shooter, 5-10 @ 50%. Kid hit 17 treys in one hs game. Wasting away on pine.....

OFC

I just wish Proctor could be stronger with the ball. I'm guessing the Aussie league must be rather passive. Hopefully he'll learn.

I'm disappointed that no one is mentioning that Mitchell played like a man the entire game. He seems to be the one guy who we can trust to play hard at both ends and not lose the ball every other time down the court. I'm really impressed by him.

Agree with the Schutt vs. Grandison comments. I'm not impressed with Grandison's game when he isn't making shots.

When Flip spins in the lane my blood pressure rises. Can't stand the fact that he hasn't learned after 16 games.

Still hoping for improvement every time out and maybe today was the first step. after all, this BC team was good enough to beat Cornell by two. :(
Good post, Liftee. I couldn’t agree more.

Why are Ryan's and Flip's only moves in the lane to dribble or circle around in attempts to get layups. All of our opponents know that that is what they do 90% of the time, making it easier to defend them. What happened to 4 to 5 foot jump shots which are open? Flip especially has only two moves, dribble in the lane or clank a 3. Why is Flip used to inbound the ball? He could not be worse at it. OFC

Prepare for more Fourteen, lol. Schutt needs to play. Grandison has gone south. Schutt is our leading 3 pt shooter, 5-10 @ 50%. Kid hit 17 treys in one hs game. Wasting away on pine.....

OFC
5-10 in mop up time. That small sample size just does not justify playing him a lot. He’s not there, and he needs more time, particularly physically.

Reactions: 9dukejames
Based on what I saw today, I think Proctor is ahead of Blakes. But I think Proctor needs some of Blake's toughness. Maybe if we could combine them into one guard.
We must have been watching two different players . Proctor should be ahead of Blakes given his accomplishments and playing with grown men in Australia but he’s not . He does not score enough and he truly is just learning to defend . Blakes barely played last year and I’d others would score Blakes would simply just have to defend .

5-10 in mop up time. That small sample size just does not justify playing him a lot. He’s not there, and he needs more time, particularly physically.
You're telling me he needs more time "physically???" Have you looked at Proctor, Lively, etc who are not getting us much more in a much LARGER "SAMPLE SIZE." Sorry can't buy in..... OFC

These freshman are more like typical freshman. Whitehead, and Flip are the only two so far to be what I consider impact freshman. Mitchell too. But more Cam level than Zion and Barrett. Which is fine, but we don't have the junior/senior type guys other than Roach, who is injured, and Young, who is terrific but not really a take over the game type player. I think we need to split Pitt and Clemson. If we lose both we may be in trouble. But one game at a time. We didn't score down the stretch yesterday but we were able to get stops. The inbounds thing, which happened 2-3 times, needs to be addressed by the coaches. That would have been a bad loss, but i will take the W.

These freshman are more like typical freshman. Whitehead, and Flip are the only two so far to be what I consider impact freshman. Mitchell too. But more Cam level that Zion and Barrett. Which is fine, but we don't have the junior/senior type guys other than Roach, who is injured, and Young, who is terrific but not really a take over the game type player. I think we need to split Pitt and Clemson. If we lose both we may be in trouble. But one game at a time. We didn't score down the stretch yesterday but we were able to get stops. The inbounds thing, which happened 2-3 times, needs to be addressed by the coaches.
Good synopsis Chris. Hangover today?

OFC

Reactions: christophero
I'm staying optimistic, but realistic as well. Without good guard play on both ends, I really don't think we are going anywhere. Roach is hurt. Proctor has shown flashes, but he's not there yet. Blakes has potential, and I really do look forward to his development as a 4 year player at Duke, but he need experience. Grandison can fill a role. But if we don't get some solid guard play soon, it's going to be an uphill battle to make the tourney. I really believe the thought was a Junior Roach would take all the pressure off of the other guards. That has not worked out well due to injury and IMHO too much pressure on Roach, and now we need to settle in quick at the guard position.

The mantra in tough times used to be "trust in K". We don't have that luxury anymore. Jon (and his assistants) need to coach is butt off. Players need to step up. I still believe we are going to be fine. We will find a way to win enough games to make the tourney. And we will be a nightmare match up to some S16 team.

A fan has to dream a little! Let's go Duke!

On a totally unrelated note, Adam Rich, troubled child star from Eight is Enough (our team's mantra in 2015) has died at 54. Not sure I want to create a thread for that, but it's a bummer.

You're telling me he needs more time "physically???" Have you looked at Proctor, Lively, etc who are not getting us much more in a much LARGER "SAMPLE SIZE." Sorry can't buy in..... OFC
Yes, lively isn’t ready either but he’s still 7’2 with insane wingspan. Proctor is able to run a team and distribute the ball. Schutt is still playing like he’s in high school lol

And yes, both have given more of a sample size - lively is a bust to date and proctor is average.

Reactions: sheyduke
Lively seems out of position a lot. He doesn't like bodying up on guys like Young. You can get away with that in high school if you're bigger and better than everyone. He is long and quick which allows him to get weak side blocks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT