ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread: Duke Vs Boston College

Lively has scored in double figures once and has a high of 9 rebounds in one game....when was a #1 recruit so unproductive?

There's zero equity in any argument for Lively at this point. He is an absolute liability for us. What's the answer? Ryan Young 30 mpg? Probably not, but I know Lively helps this team in no way shape or form

Reactions: Devilinside
Lively was playing decent before the break. That being said, he has not since. If Reeves comes in and play well that could create a dilemma. I'm guessing that doesn't happen. I predicted a 20/20 split for Lively and Young this summer, mainly because I watched Young get 18 and 8 vs.MSU. . Right now we are getting around 30/10. 25 15 would probably be ideal. I guess the silver lining is if Lively does figure it out we will get a lot better.

Last edited:
Lively was playing decent before the break. That being said, he has not since. If Reeves comes in and play well that could create a dilemma. I'm guessing that doesn't happen.
When was Lively playing well before the break? If we take out the fsu game (he played horrible) he had a combined 18 points and 12 boards in three games. Sorry Chris, but if that's decent, as the #1 recruit, expectations are incredibly low.

Last edited:
I mean, clearly he's not performing like a top 10 guy. We are just discussing what he can give us. He played good in one game, maybe Iowa. It reminds me of Bolden and how we waited for him to turn it on. You would see the occasional spectacular play. But Lively's only in his first year, and I would bet money he'd give us a lot more than Bolden if he stays 3 years. Of course he never will stay 3 years. And his minutes are decreasing, either due to foul trouble or ineffectiveness. Getting 2 years out of Lively is a possibility, but my guess is he is OAD. I think he should follow the Mark route, but he may not want his stock to drop further.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimboSlice00
Lively was playing decent before the break. That being said, he has not since. If Reeves comes in and play well that could create a dilemma. I'm guessing that doesn't happen. I predicted a 20/20 split for Lively and Young this summer, mainly because I watched Young get 18 and 8 vs.MSU. . Right now we are getting around 30/10. 25 15 would probably be ideal. I guess the silver lining is if Lively does figure it out we will get a lot better.
You clearly must be Livelys agent. I’ve never seen anything like it

I do find it amusing how I've been ringing the anti one and done bell and have become the defender of Lively. I guess I see a lot of "Lively is a bust" type posts on RR and am counterbalancing it.

Lively is just too weak to play against typical D-1 centers. Edey and Burns absolutely had their way with him, and Post pushed him around as well. His season highlights this year are his dunks when he gets the ball 2 feet from the rim, and that just isn’t going to cut it. He needs to get a lot stronger if he’s going to be a productive college player, to say nothing of what it would take to be a decent NBA player. If he’s drafted after this year, it’s going to be by a team that says he’s worth the G League salary and stashing away for a few years. By way of comparison, is there anybody who thinks he’s better than - or even close to - Tacko Fall? Who couldn’t make it in the NBA?

Last edited:
Yes, lively isn’t ready either but he’s still 7’2 with insane wingspan. Proctor is able to run a team and distribute the ball. Schutt is still playing like he’s in high school lol

And yes, both have given more of a sample size - lively is a bust to date and proctor is average.
Enjoy the back and forth my friend. I would just like to see Jaden get more minutes Fourteen. I think when you're struggling on the perimeter to score the ball, you play your best shooters. The shot he hit in Raleigh at garbage time (deep corner three) was with a guy right in his grill.

Of course I am just like you, a fan, I am not at practice everyday. I do know Jaden plays the other team's best player in practices quite often. If he sticks around and doesn't get recruited over, Jaden will be an impact player before he leaves Duke.

OFC

Lively is just too weak to play against typical D-1 centers. Edey and Burns absolutely had their way with him, and Cost pushed him around as well. His season highlights this year are his dunks when he gets the ball 2 feet from the rim, and that just isn’t going to cut it. He needs to get a lot stronger if he’s going to be a productive college player, to say nothing of what it would take to be a decent NBA player. If he’s drafted after this year, it’s going to be by a team that says he’s worth the G League salary and stashing away for a few years. By way of comparison, is there anybody who thinks he’s better than - or even close to - Tacko Fall? Who couldn’t make it in the NBA?
Taco couldn’t make it because his foot work and never really had an offensive game even after staying in college for four years . But I see the comparison the difference is Lively has potential to score and adjust . Remember, anyone picked in the first round still gets a large some of money . Mark Willams is splitting time between the league and gleague simply because the hornets log jam in the front court .
I think lively needs a reality check and the best way to get it is exactly what Scheyer did. Put him on the bench . Your not in high school anymore and your size doesn’t scare anyone unless you utilize it .

Enjoy the back and forth my friend. I would just like to see Jaden get more minutes Fourteen. I think when you're struggling on the perimeter to score the ball, you play your best shooters. The shot he hit in Raleigh at garbage time (deep corner three) was with a guy right in his grill.

Of course I am just like you, a fan, I am not at practice everyday. I do know Jaden plays the other team's best player in practices quite often. If he sticks around and doesn't get recruited over, Jaden will be an impact player before he leaves Duke.

OFC
Trust me I’d love if Jaden pulled a Grayson Allen this year but I’m not seeing it my friend.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Ok so I just checked six different mock draft sites and they are as follows

In all six Whitehead is going anywhere from 12-19.
Flip is on all six going 18-28
Lively is on two in the late first round the other four in the second
Mitchell I only saw on one second round
Proctor all six except one not on in the second round .
Bleacher reports was the latest updated and I think their projection on lively is spot on as well as Flips . They state why Lively could use a second year and it is dead on. It mentions his time and lack of production is growing in concern . Flips shooting appears to be bothering some scouts as his three point numbers have dropped .
Just some info .

Trust me I’d love if Jaden pulled a Grayson Allen this year but I’m not seeing it my friend.
Funny you said that Fourteen. If Jaden does pull a Grayson this year, I will write about it. If you recall, Grayson couldn't shine until the leash came off. Sometimes, that's all it takes.

OFC

Grayson was a 5 star though. Not saying ratings are everything, but Schutt does not seem to be as talented as Grayson, who was a much better athlete. Schutt may still get a chance, but likely he goes the Blakes route unless Roach's injury lingers. That doesn't mean Schutt cannot be a very good college player.

Bleacher reports was the latest updated and I think their projection on lively is spot on as well as Flips . They state why Lively could use a second year and it is dead on. It mentions his time and lack of production is growing in concern . Flips shooting appears to be bothering some scouts as his three point numbers have dropped .
Just some info .
The thing which hurts Duke is the minute a five star signs, boom he's projected first round. It's not even considered whether he'll be back in most cases. It's different elsewhere...remember how crooked Roy held on to star players????

Our record of putting freshmen in the pros out of the lottery, first round, whatever is a double edge sword. Sometimes I think we OVERSELL the Duke road to the NBA, ultimately to the point of sabotaging our own success.

We got away from our basic philosophy after the '10 title game. Although we took it all in '15 we've become an NBA academy. It's time to change, develop talent, and emphasize the portal more. OFC

I agree. I enjoy team building and following guys and watching them develop. Assuming this year is a relative down year, that will be 2 out of 3 years that are subpar compared to Duke standards, so this way does not guarantee success either. We did make the final four last year, so we have had success. But at least if guys buy in and return, you are building something. 2 years ago we took lumps and most of the team left anyway. There's gotta be some balance. If guys listen to common sense we should get a few freshman back.

I agree. I enjoy team building and following guys and watching them develop. Assuming this year is a relative down year, that will be 2 out of 3 years that are subpar compared to Duke standards, so this way does not guarantee success either. We did make the final four last year, so we have had success. But at least if guys buy in and return, you are building something. 2 years ago we took lumps and most of the team left anyway. There's gotta be some balance. If guys listen to common sense we should get a few freshman back.
Preach Chris, a big AMEN!!! Have a beer dude! OFC

Reactions: christophero
That’s only because most Dukes freshman are already on draft boards prior to coming to Duke . I mean honestly if the rules were straight out of high school you really think Duke sees Paolo or Zion on campus ? There is a reason high school players are going the g league route . You can forget about getting top notch players out the portal . They are coming with all the star freshman Duke always has coming in . They tried it this year and no one came except two Ivey league non existent players on the bench and Grandison and Young . Your best bet is role players snd you can believe should just two of the freshman return say proctor and Mitchell your not getting a transfer . Who’s he going to play over?

Just some info .
Nice research, Shey. Thanks. OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
We are building something only if the coaching improves. Talent by itself is not enough to win. OFC

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT