ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Houston SWEET 16

It’s not a reflection of the game or the team at all it’s a reflection of my stupid reaction to it at times.

Reactions: christophero
Seniors. Ryan in the first half; Roach in the second. You need them.
it’s true. Roach was a shitshow the first half and that was part of my doom and gloom feeling, then he just put everyone in his back. I couldn’t imagine not getting down on yourself after that first half. I really hope he comes back. He’s got some mental toughness that can’t be taught!

it’s true. Roach was a shitshow the first half and that was part of my doom and gloom feeling, then he just put everyone in his back. I couldn’t imagine not getting down on yourself after that first half. I really hope he comes back. He’s got some mental toughness that can’t be taught!
Roach had two turnovers to start the game and it rattled him. He got fouled on a 3 in the 2nd half and made all his free throws. He was as confident as anyone in the building after that.

Roach had two turnovers to start the game and it rattled him. He got fouled on a 3 in the 2nd half and made all his free throws. He was as confident as anyone in the building after that.
It was incredible to watch. 99% of people could not have shook that off. I will never doubt him again.

Points are precious in this kind of game and you kind of ache over each missed one. Mark’s travel when it could have gone to 6. 🤦🏻‍♂️, a chapter on this season will no doubt be titled: “will they or won’t they”? Respond to the blistering opening attack from Houston. And I’ll be damn Duke did respond. Hate it for Shead getting hurt, very unfortunate for them.

Good things happened when Kyle touched the ball tonight. A tough cover for them no matter what he was doing. CL would be proud. Hate that short jumper went in and out on him as that puts them up 5 iirc in this “points are precious” to come by war.

Duke has become a solid defensive team. Already had the offense. On to the E8 against an old foe we know very well. And many of us have enjoyed pulling for here in their shocking 8 game run. NC State’s story has helped make the post-season more enjoyable. I was at the Duke game in Raleigh, Devils looked really good in the second. The plan that night was let Burns get his and stop the others. Duke closed it out in double figures. (15 points) State repaid the favor in a tight ACC Tournament. (5 points)

Last edited:
Just run burns, gas that big guy out. Push every rebound. Make him switch on to guards in the pick and roll. I know he’s mobile, but come on. Put his big ass in bad situations. Throw a cheeseburger to half court. Whatever it takes.

Last edited:
I guess there are only 8 teams left. There is a pretty good shot at this point. If hot Duke shows up 3 more times they win it all. Even 2 more times, they have now proven they can grind games out too. That’s pretty encouraging.

Listen to "Break It Up" by Foreigner. Just sublime. (Don't mind me I've had a few Coor's Lights.)

Reactions: Jnood
I wasn't all in on this team after JMU. But now I am ALL IN.

Absolutely understand, they needed to prove they could man up against a higher seed in a game like this. They did an awesome job not stubbing their toe opening weekend but they were still favored to beat those teams. Tonight was a defining step forward for Duke.

Coors light is my beer of choice though. It’s Alaskan water on the fishing boats. I don’t drink hard anymore, so a nice coors light is about as good as it gets for this not so complex palette.

Nice! I have a Foreigner 4 sweatshirt. Yeah; I'm that guy. I drink maybe once a month now. I work Monday so no Coor's Sunday.

Reactions: Jnood
I actually thought we played really well after the first 5-6 minutes. Roach and Flip were clutch.

Young played really hard. We don’t win without him.

Mitchell … man, just terrible. Could not compete. Could not rebound, score or defend consistently.

The other two keys were one, their losing Shead. Best player. Offensive firepower really got hurt for them. And the rest of the team shooting cold most of the game. But we played pretty good D.

Once it got to half and we were up it felt like we could stay in it because their offense was so bad.

I actually thought we played really well after the first 5-6 minutes. Roach and Flip were clutch.

Young played really hard. We don’t win without him.

Mitchell … man, just terrible. Could not compete. Could not rebound, score or defend consistently.

The other two keys were one, their losing Shead. Best player. Offensive firepower really got hurt for them. And the rest of the team shooting cold most of the game. But we played pretty good D.

Once it got to half and we were up it felt like we could stay in it because their offense was so bad.
Those scoring droughts were very encouraging! Like 8 minutes total in the first half. They started hitting shots in the 2nd but limiting them to one every time was huge!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT