ADVERTISEMENT

New practice highlight video

Zion is incredible.

I have predicted 35-5 elsewhere but may up that soon.

To say I’m excited about this season is a SLIGHT understatement. Giddy!!!!
336x199px-LL-a2f85292_wrestler_excited_gif.gif

Ok Zion has to be on PEDs. I'm convinced. He's too athletic at 285. That makes no sense. Where the hell is Cam?!

Zion=Charles Barkley or baby Shawn Kemp man I don’t know what he is other than amazing and better than I thought. Those grown college players he out there with cutting the fool

Though this footage results in a partial chubby for lots of us (me incl), let me spritz a little cold water on our collective bathing-suit-areas:
It is all about the D.
We will, at a minimum, be "fine" on offense. If we can't make threes at an efficient pace, aka WORST CASE SCENARIO, we'll still be fine on offense. By that, I mean we'll score enough points to give us a good chance of winning the title.

IF WE CAN PLAY DEFENSE.

I don't think, nor am I arguing, that we need to be elite on defense. But we have to be good enough on D so that the O we'll undoubtedly produce is enough to win games.
caveat to add: If our nominal 3pt shooters are all at or above 34ish percent on a reasonable number of attempts, we could probably win the title even with a porous defense. I doubt we hit at that rate, so we'll need some semblance of D.
Specifically wrt Zion, I think he'll excel on offense vs College defenders. I'm more concerned with how well he defends, and rebounds. Those two aspects of his game will have huge impact on how our season ends.

Zion will be a good defender and rebounder. He was the best defender in AAU, and it wasn't close. He led in steals + blocks.

This right here. Expect bumps early because freshmen who aren’t known lock down highschool defenders always struggle on defense earlier or for a whole year. Oak, Parker etc. offense translates easier but defense is always a struggle

Though this footage results in a partial chubby for lots of us (me incl), let me spritz a little cold water on our collective bathing-suit-areas:
It is all about the D.
We will, at a minimum, be "fine" on offense. If we can't make threes at an efficient pace, aka WORST CASE SCENARIO, we'll still be fine on offense. By that, I mean we'll score enough points to give us a good chance of winning the title.

IF WE CAN PLAY DEFENSE.

I don't think, nor am I arguing, that we need to be elite on defense. But we have to be good enough on D so that the O we'll undoubtedly produce is enough to win games.
caveat to add: If our nominal 3pt shooters are all at or above 34ish percent on a reasonable number of attempts, we could probably win the title even with a porous defense. I doubt we hit at that rate, so we'll need some semblance of D.
Specifically wrt Zion, I think he'll excel on offense vs College defenders. I'm more concerned with how well he defends, and rebounds. Those two aspects of his game will have huge impact on how our season ends.

He did lead in steals and blocks but he wasn’t close to a good defender. He was below average mostly due to effort. Going to have to raise that 10x since the players he will be guarding will be much better, this is why losing weight is going to be very important

Zion will be a good defender and rebounder. He was the best defender in AAU, and it wasn't close. He led in steals + blocks.

Zion reminds me of the 'old - school' big bully who played pick - up games with the grown men.

Our defense does worry me. And going zone with this particular team may not be a good thing. I really hope we can keep the principles simple and focus on forcing contested shots, because this could actually be a very good rebounding team.

I think Zion has a lot to prove. I'm sure he's been hearing what the UNX fan base has been spewing about him not playing against quality opponents in high school. I think we will be happy with his production. I love players with a chip on their shoulders and I think he has one

Reactions: jamsession3
If Zion has 1/2 of Larry Johnson's attitude and skill we will be great!!!

He has a lot of similarities with Johnson, but Zion actually may be more athletic.

Zion shares the killer mentality trait with R.J.

Zion should be the number 1 pick in the 2019 Draft. We'll see.

Reactions: jamsession3

This made me laugh a lot. Just saying.

Vrank is tough and not afraid to get after it. I love it.

Zion is like a fat Juggernaut. He gets 2 steps into a rhythm and you should remove yourself from his path.

I'm really getting excited about Barrett.

Duke is going to freaking stacked! Pretty damn deep...guys like Alex/Jack/Joey/would play heavy minutes at most colleges. Add in a 12th man in Robinson who got 3rd in the overall shooting competition.

Javin is a guy who worries me a bit, he shot by far the worst in the shooting drills something like around 42% of wide of 2s and 3s. And bad at FTS as well. Jack white didn’t miss going 40/40 and Bolden was 3rd in the drill. It will be interesting to see how K balances this team.

What’s clear the 4 freshmen will start and Bolden making

Tre/Goldwire
RJ/Alex
Cam/Joey
Zion/Jack/Robinson
Bolden/Javin/Vrank

Starters plus Alex then it’s pretty up in the air, Javin should get time backing up the 5. But If one of the wings get in fouls trouble or whatever lack of hustle..Jack White may be the guy who gets the his as the wing backup.

While Duke May have some shooting question marks there’s definitely not a lack of options...a lot of teams would love to have shooters like Alex/Joey/Jack I even believe Robinson has some late bloom potential. But he will probably never see time. Kid had some nice plays in the very limited time he saw last season Though-smooth stroke and will bust his ass at all times like White.

ZION is a monster/RJ is the truth/Cam could be the glue/...these 3 have a chance to All be really good.

Like YATES mentioned...Defense will be everything with this team. Keep the studs fresh, let the vets come in blended with the young kids for defense/rebounding/hustle/toughness.

I think this group has a chance to be special, if they embrace their roles and continue to talk on defense (seems like they enjoy being loud from the vid) they will be really tough to beat!

Last edited:
He did lead in steals and blocks but he wasn’t close to a good defender. He was below average mostly due to effort. Going to have to raise that 10x since the players he will be guarding will be much better, this is why losing weight is going to be very important

He was? I’ve seen him and he’s pretty darn good at D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT