ADVERTISEMENT

New practice highlight video

Are you more concerned with us scoring 80 or giving up 80?
I think we are hoping we can play decent defense and be respectable shooting the three ball.

That’s my point. You dismissed the notion that they could play defense at all because they’ve never done it. My point is that this is a message board, so shutting down conjecture on whether or not a team has a chance to do something really doesn’t help move conversation along. You brought in the point of hope, and how they respond ____, but what are we really doing by saying they haven’t done it yet?

By that ideology, we should be saying this team may not score more than 10 points because all they’ve done is dunk on 5’7 high school kids. Which by the way is a false narrative. Most of them have played college and pro level athletes and talents. That’s why freshmen these days are more equipped to play vital roles on high D1 teams. All we have in July is discussion and projection. I’m not sure why it’s so difficult to look at what we have and discuss the possibilities. By playing the field and saying “they won’t succeed” is just playing the I’ll be right and you’ll be wrong game.

We all want the same ending. A title. But if K sat around and said “we won’t make it, because there’s no proof that they can,” we’d be in dire straits.

I’m not scolding you, I’m not even saying you’re wrong, I would just like to be able to extend some conversations before we get into the same old arguments about hope vs. realism.

I'm with ya....sort of, but I also believe he is going to run into a LOT of college players, where he physically outmatches them and is more athletic than them. I don't at all think he is the next Lebron, or AD, or whoever, but I think he is very athletic and strong, and will be a handful for the majority of college players that he faces

Agreed....Sort of. He'll be more athletic, but how much more? If he was, for the purposes of illustration, 15% more athletic than HS talent, how will he fare if that number drops to 10% more athletic? 5% more athletic?
I know he'll be more athletic than college comp next year, but I also know it wont be by as wide a margin as it was vs HS talent.

Agreed....Sort of. He'll be more athletic, but how much more? If he was, for the purposes of illustration, 15% more athletic than HS talent, how will he fare if that number drops to 10% more athletic? 5% more athletic?
I know he'll be more athletic than college comp next year, but I also know it wont be by as wide a margin as it was vs HS talent.

That makes perfect sense, because a lot of the HS players he played against won't be in college next year. I think he is a bull that is loaded with athletic ability and talent. I believe what we need him to excel at most is the mental part, knowing when to pull up, when to power his way through, and when to give it up. If he makes good decisions consistently, I think he's a nightmare for the competition.

Zion is freak. His vertical leap is probably close 50 inches and he is more powerful than Shaq was coming into college but no where near as tall.

Imagine if there was a 6’6 285 pound defensive end with a 6’11 wingspan that could dunk the basketball from the free throw line with little effort. He probably go number 1 or number 2 in the NFL draft.

Zion is freak. His vertical leap is probably close 50 inches and he is more powerful than Shaq was coming into college but no where near as tall.

Imagine if there was a 6’6 285 pound defensive end with a 6’11 wingspan that could dunk the basketball from the free throw line with little effort. He probably go number 1 or number 2 in the NFL draft.

Now imagine that 6-6, 285 lb monster lost 20ish lbs down to 265. It isn't quite the same thing.

That makes perfect sense, because a lot of the HS players he played against won't be in college next year. I think he is a bull that is loaded with athletic ability and talent. I believe what we need him to excel at most is the mental part, knowing when to pull up, when to power his way through, and when to give it up. If he makes good decisions consistently, I think he's a nightmare for the competition.

His decision making will be key. I really hope he doesn't spend next year trying to prove what a good three point shooter he is, unless he's actually a great 3pt shooter.

Now imagine that 6-6, 285 lb monster lost 20ish lbs down to 265. It isn't quite the same thing.

I agree if it's effecting his lateral quickness. I do think Zion is an extreme outliner like Shaq was before him. It’s not natural for a player to be able to move like Zion or get up like he does at his size and weight.

I believe Zion will have as big as an impact on the game as Bagley had due to his size, speed, handles, passing ability, rebounding, strength and power. Bagley has extreme athleticism for his height but was no where near as big, strong and powerful as Zion is.

We shall see. I do know those who aren’t known defenders don’t become defenders in one year and vice versa. Justice Winslow came in with a rep on D just like Jabari Parker and Oak did. All three lives up to that rep in year one

That’s my point. You dismissed the notion that they could play defense at all because they’ve never done it. My point is that this is a message board, so shutting down conjecture on whether or not a team has a chance to do something really doesn’t help move conversation along. You brought in the point of hope, and how they respond ____, but what are we really doing by saying they haven’t done it yet?

By that ideology, we should be saying this team may not score more than 10 points because all they’ve done is dunk on 5’7 high school kids. Which by the way is a false narrative. Most of them have played college and pro level athletes and talents. That’s why freshmen these days are more equipped to play vital roles on high D1 teams. All we have in July is discussion and projection. I’m not sure why it’s so difficult to look at what we have and discuss the possibilities. By playing the field and saying “they won’t succeed” is just playing the I’ll be right and you’ll be wrong game.

We all want the same ending. A title. But if K sat around and said “we won’t make it, because there’s no proof that they can,” we’d be in dire straits.

I’m not scolding you, I’m not even saying you’re wrong, I would just like to be able to extend some conversations before we get into the same old arguments about hope vs. realism.

We shall see. I do know those who aren’t known defenders don’t become defenders in one year and vice versa. Justice Winslow came in with a rep on D just like Jabari Parker and Oak did. All three lives up to that rep in year one

Sometimes a team can be reputable on defense without the services of a known stalwart.

And if you think Jabari and Okafor were good on defense, you clearly just watched the Ball is Life highlights in the suggestions after watching Harrison twin videos.

I’m hoping you were making some sarcastic joke that flew way over my head. Otherwise we can’t be friends.

*edit* I see what you were saying. It’s still going to be tough for us to be friends.

Sometimes a team can be reputable on defense without the services of a known stalwart.

And if you think Jabari and Okafor were good on defense, you clearly just watched the Ball is Life highlights in the suggestions after watching Harrison twin videos.

I’m hoping you were making some sarcastic joke that flew way over my head. Otherwise we can’t be friends.

*edit* I see what you were saying. It’s still going to be tough for us to be friends.

This, an infinity times this. Bari and Oak were horrific defenders. Quin, Wins, Matt, and Amile made up for it on the title team, which Tyus being sneaky good off the ball (though mediocre, if that, on the ball). But Oak was just big in college. He took up space and reduced driving lanes just by being huge. But he was never the monster on D, or the boards, that he should have been.

I think he means that Jabari and Oak lived up to their BAD rep on defense.

Reactions: dukehokie
Lol. Glad you finally get it. People who speak real talk with no bias one way or the other tend to make very little friends

Reactions: dukehokie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT