ADVERTISEMENT

Never too soon to think about 2016...

Wolfman2610

Recruit
May 26, 2014
Granted winning a national title is never a bad impression to make, but of the unsigned guys from the class of 2015, do you guys think last night's triumph will end up being a significant difference maker in landing them?

In other words, any guys that were leaning elsewhere entering Monday that now become Devil leans because they want to be a part of the K magic?

I feel very good about the three guys that come into the fold next year (Jeter, Kennard, and Obi). However, if at all possible, I'd love to strike while the iron is hot and add a few more (especially a guard to replace either Tyus as a true point).

It's too soon.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Enjoy at least 24 hours.

I agree with DukieJay, but I will say clearly point guard will be our biggest need by far next season (assuming Tyus leaves)

We look pretty solid in the post:

Obi
Jeter
Plumlee
Jefferson

..and on the wings:

Allen
Matt Jones
Kennard

Robinson is also a wing. But he could be like the Admiral and be a center/ PF in 2 years. I like the fact he is a 4 yr Amele Jefferson type guy.

Agree with DJ. Let's enjoy the tremendous accomplishment. Realistically, next year is a rebuilding year. If we surprisingly kept Tyus, signed Ingram, and maybe a couple other things, we'd probably have a borderline top 10 team along the lines of our 2011-12 and 2013-14 -- but with far more moxy and poise b/c of Tyus. If those things don't happen, we're probably still a tourney team -- but it's probably the worst team we've had here since 06-07. I think K assumed he'd have Tyus, Sheed, and Semi back for next season -- and, at this point, it doesn't look as if we're equipped to replace that experience / talent.
This post was edited on 4/7 2:59 PM by aah555

Don't think Tyus leaves, and all players at the McDonald AA game that still haven't committed stated they were waiting to see who declares early. Could see Ingram and Swannigan committing to Duke, Coach K is pushing the idea of them being the next Winslow and Okafor. Yes, I know that Swannigan isn't nearly as good as Okafor but Ingram is legit. Do agree that we could really use another gaurs even if Tyus stays. Starting line up could be:

Tyus - PG
Grayson - SG
Jones/ Ingram - Small Forward
Obi/Amile - Power Forward
Jeter/ Plumlee/ Swannigan -Centers

I don't know how to view Ingram really, his size worries me, but I'd still rather have him than not.

Wish there was a chance at redemption for Sulaimon. Like Dre take a year off and try to come back. That is of course if the allegations are false.

I really don't think it's too far out of the question to think that Tyus Jones will come back next season. If he does, then I think it's obvious that him, Grayson, and Matt will be at the 1, 2, and 3, with Amile Jefferson manning the 4. The question becomes who will start at the 5. If he doesn't come back, we will have to figure out this point guard position first. This might sound crazy, but it's not too far out of the question to have lineups on the court where Brandon Ingram would be the 2. I mean it would be in a pinch, but a wing is a wing. And it's not like he would have to be a ball handler.

PG- Tyus Jones
SG- Grayson Allen/Luke Kennard
SF- Matt Jones/Brandon Ingram
PF- Amile Jefferson/Chase Jeter
C- Sean Obi/Marshall Plumlee

If Tyus leaves then I would put our best penetrator at the point, Mr. Grayson Allen. No, he's not a true point but neither was Scheyer. We could bring in someone as a transfer who can play immediately but even with a full roster, our roster will be shortened by the bulk of ACC play. Without Tyus, we know Allen, Jones, Jefferson, Obi, and Plumlee will be in the rotation. Then you add in Kennard who will likely be backing up the one and two and can slide to the three at times. Jeter is another who will get playing time for sure next year. That's seven players, and I know that's not deep, but Coach K does this. I know we would like to play 11 or 12 and spread the minutes out but that's not his style. And after seeing the coaching job he's done at Duke, I'm not one to judge his philosophies. Hopefully we can add Brandon Ingram to get us to eight in the rotation. Caleb Swanigan would be accepted with open arms, but he would have to sit a year to come into the rotation (I don't see him as a guy who will have an Okafor-type impact). I think he is being sold on taking a year to develop and then taking over at the five when Plumlee/Jefferson graduate. Add in a transfer that can play immediately at the point as a backup and that gets us to 10 players. I would expect to see 10 players on Duke's roster next year, that's with or without Tyus.

Dont start talking crap about Obi, you're gonna be pleasantly surprised. And I wouldn't be calling next season a rebuild, we're going to be damn good.

Who me? I'm not talking crap about Sean, he's a beast but I feel he will split time with Amile at the 4. IMO Jeter starts at the 5. Much more polished offensively...,

Originally posted by TRU CANE:
Wish there was a chance at redemption for Sulaimon. Like Dre take a year off and try to come back. That is of course if the allegations are false.
After all the controversy re Sulaimon, I can't see any scenario where he would be able to finish his career here -- regardless of the truth or falsity of the unreported allegations. It serves everyone's interest for him to move on.

You think Jeter is way more polished than Obi? I'll take that bet.

This post was edited on 4/7 9:46 PM by Showenuff

Sulaimon won't be back. Tyus should go pro, and doesn't look like we will get Swanigan.

Best case it seems scenario Duke gets Ingram, Antonio V, and Thornton (reclassifies). Hopefully adds some transfer help PG and a big and Marshall returns.

As of now, the only scholarship players we will have on the roster is Grayson, Matt Jones, Amile, Obi, Marshall(Hopefully), Jeter, and Kennard.

Luckily the recruiting period starts up again this week. Coming off a natty I hope many prospects will be interested.

Tyus is the key for me. If we get him back we are immediately a force. He is projected a late first round player?

It will be interesting to follow

There were some nice tweets coming from recruits last night. Namely the class of 2016 guys.

Jeter is more offensively polished than Sean Obi. Sean is still pretty raw on that side of the ball. But he's a bull defensively and can rebound. He will see minutes next season but I wouldn't expect much more than six or seven points per game....if that.

Originally posted by zJMc09:
There were some nice tweets coming from recruits last night. Namely the class of 2016 guys.
Could you please post some links? I'd love to see those.

Thanks DJ. Somehow I'm bashing Obi and I said Jeter more OFFENSIVELY than Obi, from post moves,to mid-range and even 3pt line. Obi is a good rebounder and defender though.

Crank, you misunderstood my comment, as usual. I never said you were bashing him. You take my tone wrong, always. I was simply trying to state everyone thinks Obi will only be riding the bench. I think after a full year of working out with a National Championship team and Okafor as a practice buddy, he's going to know a little bit more about how it all works than Jeter when he arrives.

I hope Thornton is just in a lil slump right now, he's stunk it up his last few games for some reason.

Originally posted by Showenuff:
I hope Thornton is just in a lil slump right now, he's stunk it up his last few games for some reason.
He's been staying up late watching March Madness. That and his college decision are stressing him out I'd wager.

Are we not in it for Dennis Smith or is it just too early to speculate?

I asked a simple question and you didn't answer so I was left to assume. If you want to beat a dead horse on this, feel free, I am going to get back to the subject. I never said Sean would ride pine next year - he is a defensive and rebounding stud, and yes, he has had a year of working against quality talent. That being said, he is still very raw offensively, and Chase Jeter, regardless of collegiate experience, will play more at the 5 IMO. He is far more skilled offensively than Sean, and that is not a negative reflection of Sean, more a compliment to Chase. The kid has tremendous footwork and a soft touch (to go with a back-to-the-basket game).
This post was edited on 4/8 9:55 AM by Crank_it_loud

Next year could be rough compared to our recent success if Tyus goes pro, and we don't get another PG option. Grayson (and even Luke) COULD play some PG, but it is not ideal. We need them on the wing slashing and bombing 3's.

Originally posted by dm4vtdu:
Sulaimon won't be back. Tyus should go pro, and doesn't look like we will get Swanigan.

Best case it seems scenario Duke gets Ingram, Antonio V, and Thornton (reclassifies). Hopefully adds some transfer help PG and a big and Marshall returns.

As of now, the only scholarship players we will have on the roster is Grayson, Matt Jones, Amile, Obi, Marshall(Hopefully), Jeter, and Kennard.

Luckily the recruiting period starts up again this week. Coming off a natty I hope many prospects will be interested.
Who is Antonio V?

Next year could be a challenge but I'll be excited like I am every season. Winning a national championship two days ago certainly helps the sting of losing the guys we're expected to lose. I think all of us would have made that trade three months ago....but now the reality of it is hard to look past. I get that.

Obviously, we expected to have Rasheed in the mix for 2015-16. That's not the case. However, we still should be very solid on the wing. Grayson and Matt will both come into their own and looked to for leadership. Plus, their national championship pedigree can only be construed as a plus.

Our frontcourt looks good on paper but probably lacks a true scorer. Amile will be a senior and not allowed to defer as much. He will need to step up. Sean is a bruiser who will provide depth, good post defense and should be an excellent rebounder. We'll see how the learning curve goes for Chase....but he's going to have an opportunity to step in and play right away. Marshall is graduating next month and there are rumors out there he may elect to move on to the next chapter....not in basketball, but his future. So we'll see.

Right now there isn't a true point guard or a true established player down low to run an offense through. But there is talent. And Duke is hardly done. I'd be shocked if there aren't two, three, maybe even four new faces added to the group in the next couple months.

I'll go back to what I said at the beginning of this thread. We just won the national championship. Enjoy it....because it doesn't happen a lot. The last thing any of us should be doing right now is stressing about next season. Have some fun and count your blessings. Duke is the 2015 national champions.

I agree. I always consider the year after a national title to be a "hangover season", especially when you lose all of your best players. I won't have very high expectations next season, any major success we have will be gravy, unless we land some late recruits and Tyus Jones comes back to school.

Otherwise, it will be the closest thing we've seen to a rebuilding year in about a decade (by Duke standards)

Yep, and a decade ago there was even more stress going into 2006-07 because of how prematurely the 2006 season ended. Not only were we going to be young, but we lost two All-Americans in J.J. and Shelden. Winning the national championship two nights ago eases the burden....you could say.

But no one is going to feel sorry for us, and I assure you the returning players and incoming guys aren't going to be thinking that way either. They have an opportunity to prove all of the naysayers wrong. So don't think for a second Amile as a senior, along with Grayson and Matt aren't excited an up to the challenge.

I will relish this national championship for the rest of my life, like I do the other four. And next year I will be super excited for the start of the season, like I am every year.

The odds Tyus was going to return before the NCAA Tournament were at best 50/50. And that's probably generous. So it should be no surprise to anyone that the odds of him returning now are very much a longshot. And that's probably generous again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT