ADVERTISEMENT

NET rankings

I know no one really seemed interested in this last time, but there are some interesting things going on in the updated NET. Our new archrivals SFA are a whopping 32 spots ahead of our old archrivals from down the road. Despite being 91st in the NET, UNC is still hovering in the 40s in Kenpom but if the committee were to vote on at large bids today they might very well be on the bubble.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

Virginia has taken a tumble since the original post. Quite interesting that San Diego State is#1. They're undefeated, but don't have wins nearly as good as Duke. Auburn is undefeated, but only ranked #6. Shocked that Wofford is #162. Splitting road games against Duke and the cheats should get them in the top 125

My friend and I developed a NET Rankings tracking website that shows each team's NCAA Dance Card and quadrant specific wins and opportunities. We also generate a dynamic NET-based Bracket to include auto-bids and at-large bids. Check it out:

https://bracketologists.com/
That’s a really cool website. I can’t believe the SFA loss is considered a Q2 loss though - how is that?

Duke dropped to #3 in the AP poll. #3 in NET. #1 in BPI, #1 in RPI, #1 in Kenpom. I LOVE that Baylor jumped us. Keep dropping us while we take care of the ACC.

UNC down to #115 in NET behind teams with losing records such as UC Irvine, Davidson, and North Texas. I'll be honest, I think they are dangerously close to losing their hold on the last #1 seed.

Duke dropped to #3 in the AP poll. #3 in NET. #1 in BPI, #1 in RPI, #1 in Kenpom. I LOVE that Baylor jumped us. Keep dropping us while we take care of the ACC.

UNC down to #115 in NET behind teams with losing records such as UC Irvine, Davidson, and North Texas. I'll be honest, I think they are dangerously close to losing their hold on the last #1 seed.

A co-worker who is also a Duke fan was just texting about our ranking. He didn't like it but I told him it really doesn't matter.We know how good we are. We take care of our business, everything thing else will take care of itself

You are right on the money. I mean, if they lose 5 or 6 more ballgames, you are going to really have to start asking whether they deserve that #1 or not.

But in reality, I have no problem with Baylor at the top. They have true road wins at Texas Tech and Kansas, a neutral site win over Villanova, and have home wins Arizona and Butler. That is a strong resume - and Duke is not competing with them for the Greensboro #1 seed anyway.

Duke is hurt a little by some opponent injury and attrition. I think that neutral site win over Georgetown would have ended up a Q1 win if GU hadn't lost some dudes soon after, including their PG who was the Big East Freshman of the Year last year. Call me crazy, but I think that GT road win is a little more impressive than it is going to look, because they played a long stretch without their main dude and took some L's they probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Reactions: Neners and jwill133
A co-worker who is also a Duke fan was just texting about our ranking. He didn't like it but I told him it really doesn't matter.We know how good we are. We take care of our business, everything thing else will take care of itself
I agree both you and your coworker. I agree with you that it doesn’t really matter but I agree with your friend that it doesn’t really make sense either because even though Baylor is playing good right now and they just beat Kansas. We have the same number of losses as them but we have 2 more wins than them so o don’t think they should’ve passed us in the polls. It’ll make opposing fans happy though because they’re always complaining that we don’t drop enough when we lose so they’ll be happy that we dropped without losing.

We did nothing but take care of business this week so let them drop us in the rankings. Just adds fuel to the flames.

It’s ok that they jumped us, but why didn’t they jump the zags as well? I haven’t looked but I know Gonzaga’s resume has to be mediocre at best.

Louisville game is going to be an even bigger one for us given the landscapes of the ACC

It’s ok that they jumped us, but why didn’t they jump the zags as well? I haven’t looked but I know Gonzaga’s resume has to be mediocre at best.
Gonzaga been hovering at 7 and 8 in the NET rankings. Not sure how that will improve for them. Gonna be a committee problem in March deciding what to do with them.

Reactions: QC Dukie
How is Ohio St. still ranked? The media still holding on to that beating they gave the heels as impressive I guess
I don't get his one either. You would think 4 straight losses would be enough to drop you out. Unless you are uncheat of course.

Reactions: tripleb71
Baylor has the best resume' without a doubt. They should be #1 until they lose.
Gonzaga has the easiest schedule left. I personally think they are very overrated and not nearly as good as the past few Gonzaga teams, but whatever, they only have 1 loss and have a cream puff schedule the rest of the way.
Duke is clicking on all cylinders and has a clear track to a #1 seed, and should definitely be the favorites right now to win the title. Duke is probably 4-6 point favorites over Baylor on a neutral court IMO.

Reactions: HuffyJB
Duke is clicking on all cylinders and has a clear track to a #1 seed, and should definitely be the favorites right now to win the title. Duke is probably 4-6 point favorites over Baylor on a neutral court IMO.

They better be - I already bought tickets to the Greensboro pod!

Reactions: jwill133
Am I reading it right that Baylor had more 1st place votes than Gonzaga, but are still #2 in the AP poll?

first place votes does not garuntee a one ranking. Pollsters rank teams 1-25. Each team gets points based on where ranked (i.e. 25 for 1, 24 for 2, etc). Let us say team A gets 12 first place slots and 13 second. 637. Team b has 13 first place, 10 second, 2 third. 636. So A would be higher in polls despite less first place votes

The only issue I have with Baylor jumping us is if they don’t let us and/or Baylor jump Gonzaga before conference tournament time if all 3 teams don’t lose again.. Gonzaga plays a cupcake west coast conference schedule that includes zero top 25 teams.. Duke & Baylor will be playing multiple top 25 teams in conference play.

Then again, Gonzaga beat those amazing Tar Heels.. so maybe they do have the right to be #1!

Gonzaga been hovering at 7 and 8 in the NET rankings. Not sure how that will improve for them. Gonna be a committee problem in March deciding what to do with them.

Gonzaga has the easiest schedule left. I personally think they are very overrated and not nearly as good as the past few Gonzaga teams, but whatever, they only have 1 loss and have a cream puff schedule the rest of the way.

The only issue I have with Baylor jumping us is if they don’t let us and/or Baylor jump Gonzaga before conference tournament time if all 3 teams don’t lose again.. Gonzaga plays a cupcake west coast conference schedule that includes zero top 25 teams.. Duke & Baylor will be playing multiple top 25 teams in conference play.

Then again, Gonzaga beat those amazing Tar Heels.. so maybe they do have the right to be #1!

Gonzaga has road wins against Arizona, Washington (with Quade Green), and Texas A&M. Beat Oregon on a neutral court. They're actually pretty good. Don't like their chances as much as I did in 2017 and 2019, because I think the backcourt isn't as strong as a typical Final Four team. Even still, they're very capable.

As far as Gonzaga having a weak schedule, I disagree. KenPom has the WCC as the #9 rated conference in the country. BYU is #26 in the KenPom rankings (and played only 7 games with Yoeli Childs, a 20/10 guy) and Saint Mary's is #33. Both BYU and Saint Mary's are projected to make the tournament. Pause for a moment and consider the fact that Gonzaga plays BYU and Saint Mary's twice. That's four games against top 40 teams (with a 16-game conference schedule). We play exactly two games against top 40 teams in the ACC - both at home, against FSU and Louisville. Certainly the ACC has better depth, but the WCC isn't chump change. The Santa Clara road game will be considered a Quad 1 Game. San Francisco is a top 100 team. Pacific is 14-5 and even managed to beat Saint Mary's. I would be surprised if Gonzaga ran the table this year. WCC is better than it's ever been.

Reactions: dukiejay

I am certain that all 3 teams will lose again, probably multiple times.

Who beat Gonzaga?

..and the ACC is really weak this year.. and the ACC is still ranked 4 spots higher than the WCC.. I would swap schedules with Gonzaga any year.

Metrics suggest this Zags team isn't as good as some recent versions, and that there are a handful of teams in the WCC who might be able to compete with them on any given night. That's pretty much a new phenomenon. Plus, with the Zags 50+ ranked kenpom defense, it would appear getting stops can sometimes be a challenge. We all remember 2014 (#86), 2016 (#86) and 2017 (#47) and how maddening it would become.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Metrics suggest this Zags team isn't as good as some recent versions, and that there are a handful of teams in the WCC who might be able to compete with them on any given night. That's pretty much a new phenomenon. Plus, with the Zags 50+ ranked kenpom defense, it would appear getting stops can sometimes be a challenge. We all remember 2014 (#86), 2016 (#86) and 2017 (#47) and how maddening it would become.

This. Honestly, if BYU has a healthy Yoeli Childs, I think Gonzaga could lose to them on a neutral court (and certainly on the road). The gap between Gonzaga and Saint Mary's/BYU isn't that large. Other teams in the WCC are halfway decent. I expect Gonzaga to lose 2-3 WCC games this year. Can they still make the Final Four this year? Sure, absolutely. But they're not quite as talented as 2017 or 2019.

If they somehow manage to make it through the WCC unscathed, they will unquestionably be a #1 seed, and will be a strong contender for the #1 overall seed. In the end, I expect to see Gonzaga as a solid 2 seed, with a record of maybe 30-3 (potential to be a 1 seed if Butler, Duke, Baylor, Kansas have enough losses).

I’ll be honest, I’ve only watched Baylor play a couple of times this season. Their win against Villanova in late November and their win at Texas Tech. I was very impressed with Baylor. They play tough & physical defense. They do a good job of going after the boards. The Bears have a lot of guys that can hit the 3 ball at a good clip. Also, their biggest strength imo is they have 3 guards capable of running the offense. If Duke and Baylor were to meet in the NCAA Tournament it would be a dog fight!!

Reactions: jwill133
No Devon Dotson for Kansas tonight so they should lose at Oklahoma.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT